side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

I'm 3 months into my sidesaddle adventure, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just wanted to share some issues that have come up along the way.

• Long putts: I'm still a complete mess on 30+ foot putts...topping the ball, way off center hits, thus no distance control. So I think I might stick to a conventional stroke on longer putts, unless anyone is very successful on long putts and has some tips.

• Soreness: I can't practice for long periods of time because my right hamstring gets tight from basically keeping all my weight on that leg. Does anyone else experience this?

On a good note, I feel like I can legitimately make anything inside of 10 feet. I actually love downhill putts now. And putting from the fringe, while straddling the line, should be illegal (not really), but it's so awesome.

Something you might take a look at on the longer putts. I found that for myself, I like to have the ball further forward for my short and intermediate putts - but using that same ball position on longer putts had me topping the ball sometimes. So now on those really long putts, I move the ball closer to my feet/body. Made a huge difference in my long lag putts. How much closer you bring the ball comes from trial and error....

On longer putts I use the LFI arm lock style rather than SS. Bobby Grace said he actually designed the putter to be used either way. Have you ever tried this?

I will admit, when I have a monster putt (or a slow up hill one) I've topped a few still to this day. I figure it happens so rarely I don't really fret about it too much. But I honestly just try to take a shorter stroke than what I think I need to and hit it harder with my bottom hand. Thats my "for dummies" approach to really long putts.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I'm 3 months into my sidesaddle adventure, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I just wanted to share some issues that have come up along the way.

• Long putts: I'm still a complete mess on 30+ foot putts...topping the ball, way off center hits, thus no distance control. So I think I might stick to a conventional stroke on longer putts, unless anyone is very successful on long putts and has some tips.

• Soreness: I can't practice for long periods of time because my right hamstring gets tight from basically keeping all my weight on that leg. Does anyone else experience this?

On a good note, I feel like I can legitimately make anything inside of 10 feet. I actually love downhill putts now. And putting from the fringe, while straddling the line, should be illegal (not really), but it's so awesome.

Something you might take a look at on the longer putts. I found that for myself, I like to have the ball further forward for my short and intermediate putts - but using that same ball position on longer putts had me topping the ball sometimes. So now on those really long putts, I move the ball closer to my feet/body. Made a huge difference in my long lag putts. How much closer you bring the ball comes from trial and error....

On longer putts I use the LFI arm lock style rather than SS. Bobby Grace said he actually designed the putter to be used either way. Have you ever tried this?

Do you mean that you use the same putter for SS and arm lock? I'm using the F22 with the kicka** shaft, but using it like an arm lock severely de-lofts it.

No I haven't. But my lag putting with SS has gotten really good - so I haven't been tempted by another putting style when looking at long putts.

Do you mean that you use the same putter for SS and arm lock? I'm using the F22 with the kicka** shaft, but using it like an arm lock severely de-lofts it.

Yes. Don’t know about the F22 but the LFI has that shaft and works fine arm lock style

It was interesting over this last weekend.

I like to do a 3 day golf school every Jan or Feb in order to get away from the snow of Upstate NY.

I usually pick different schools and/or instructors every year because I enjoy the variety and seeing what the different coaches offer.

This year I went to see Kirk Junge down in West Palm Beach.

He teaches a swing similar to Bryson Dechambeau

(It was an excellent school btw - I saw a real improvement in my ball striking...)

Anyways, when it came to putting - Kirk was fascinated with my Sidesaddle putting stroke.

So I gave him a quick 10 minute lesson and demo.

Then it turns out through our conversation that he knows Juan Elizonda, creator of the Juan Putter.

Kirk used to work with Juan in selling the Speed Stik (which Juan also created).

Then I got this email from Kirk after the school was over:

"I contacted Juan about the putter. If I can perfect the stroke I may market the concept as well. Thank you for your introduction to the concept.

I told Juan that you gave me a demo and told me about him."

Cool!

I have skimmed this thread and this subject has been touched on briefly, but has anyone found that having the opposite stance (left foot forward for the right handed putter) having a positive impact on the stroke? I am noticing the following:

1) the right hip is out of the way, allowing the putter head to swing more freely. Much harder for hand to hit the hip. And putter to hit the lead foot.

2) I am experiencing less back pain due to less torquing to get my eyes over the ball. The strain is more concentrated in my core, which seems to be more tolerable.

The hang-up for me is that it seems to blur the line for “straddling” as the putter could potentially swing inside the body if you have your feet far apart on either axis.

I have skimmed this thread and this subject has been touched on briefly, but has anyone found that having the opposite stance (left foot forward for the right handed putter) having a positive impact on the stroke? I am noticing the following:

1) the right hip is out of the way, allowing the putter head to swing more freely. Much harder for hand to hit the hip. And putter to hit the lead foot.

2) I am experiencing less back pain due to less torquing to get my eyes over the ball. The strain is more concentrated in my core, which seems to be more tolerable.

The hang-up for me is that it seems to blur the line for “straddling” as the putter could potentially swing inside the body if you have your feet far apart on either axis.

Wait that isn't how everybody does it?

My left foot is forward my right foot is back with my Right big toe touching my left medial heel. I never even imagined putting my Right foot forward.

No chance of straddling like this imo.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

The photo below appears to be the accepted method.

My post was (attempting to) describe the exact opposite of this. Basically, the putterhead approaches the back toe at the end of the backswing.

I do the exact opposite of that picture from a stance perspective with a 48" putter. I just switched one day never really watched anybody doing this. It never occurred to me to try that way. Not switching now since I putt lights out the way that seemed natural to me.

WITB:

I am just starting down the SS path, but Rohlio’s way makes more logical sense to me. Easier to get eyes over the ball and easier to manipulate the lie closer to 90 degrees if the putter head it closer to center mass.

Only hurdle would be longer backswings hitting the trailing foot. I figure on longer putts the top hand can just be a little more active to add power.

If anyone wants to be brave and post a picture of their stance it would be greatly appreciated. Nice to get a roster of what putters are in play too :)

I posted about this awhile ago on the thread but got mostly negative replies. Left foot forward is the Australian stance and I've enclosed a link.

Seems to me it's mostly a question of balance. How do you stand if you snowboard or surf? - not that many of us do that anymore!

I'm now more comfortable standing with feet parallel just to left as do 2 of my friends who also putt SS. Balance is important.

https://wonderputter.com/

As side saddlers, I think we can all agree, we're a bit unorthodox, so I'd say just do which ever way you putt best!

I've tried several variations and approachs, grips, set ups, putters, etc. I've found what works best for me right now (and once it stops working, i'll change something!).

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I am just starting down the SS path, but Rohlio’s way makes more logical sense to me. Easier to get eyes over the ball and easier to manipulate the lie closer to 90 degrees if the putter head it closer to center mass.

Only hurdle would be longer backswings hitting the trailing foot. I figure on longer putts the top hand can just be a little more active to add power.

If anyone wants to be brave and post a picture of their stance it would be greatly appreciated. Nice to get a roster of what putters are in play too :)

From what I can tell since I started in this thread. The majority of people are either using a Bobby Grace (F22 or LFI) or the Juan Putt. I'm sure there are others, but I think those are the big 2 most commercially available side saddle putters.

WHen I first started I did hit my R foot a few times during long backswings...It hasn't happened in a very long time. With R foot forward I feel like I would hit my R hip with my bottom hand on the take away though. Either way Just do what works for you...nobody starts out SS we all got here though!

WITB:

From what I can tell since I started in this thread. The majority of people are either using a Bobby Grace (F22 or LFI) or the Juan Putt. I'm sure there are others, but I think those are the big 2 most commercially available side saddle putters.

I use the LFI but think it's a little short at 41". Would really like to try the GP. My friend loves his but I couldn't try it cause he's lefty!

I posted about this awhile ago on the thread but got mostly negative replies. Left foot forward is the Australian stance and I've enclosed a link.

Seems to me it's mostly a question of balance. How do you stand if you snowboard or surf? - not that many of us do that anymore!

I'm now more comfortable standing with feet parallel just to left as do 2 of my friends who also putt SS. Balance is important.

I'm ok with the setup if that's what works for someone.

However, in the picture posted - it looks like his right foot is on the target line - which would make the stroke illegal.

Even though I'm not an official member of SS club but I've been messing around trying to find the most comfortable stance. I could see either foot up front would work. I've been putting around the house to work on my confidence before doing SS on the course. Right now, I'm doing my version of unanchored long putting stroke with open stance.

I'm using LFI putter that I bought from J-Tizzle last summer, one of better putters that I've used. Last week, I finally got around removing the 2" extension that he had told me. It now feel more comfortable doing SS stance. He is about 3-4 inches taller than I am and I can see why a comfortable length can be important doing the SS stroke.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I think it's just a matter of what's most comfortable, and works for someone. Either foot forward is ok as long as you're in balance and can deliver a good stoke. The only thing to worry about with the right foot back is like in the picture Ripper posted where it looks to me as if back right foot is on the target line.

I personally have the right foot forward. Makes it easier for me to keep my weight on the right side ang get my head over the ball. I also set my right foot a little behind the ball and parallel to my target line. It then becomes my putting guide: there's no way I can pull my stroke inside or I'd hit my foot. It forces me to come straight back and straight through.

My setup:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63r4wre6hmy88pa/VID_20180614_201330493.mp4?dl=0

I'm ok with the setup if that's what works for someone.

However, in the picture posted - it looks like his right foot is on the target line - which would make the stroke illegal.

Certainly looks that way, but I think that camera angle is deceptive. You need to watch the videos - it's really just the mirror image of right foot forward. I'll sometimes do it that way but right now feel more comfortable with feet together. No chance of touching the line that way.

Unfortunately it's 20* now in Mass so the only putting is in my playroom!

I think it's just a matter of what's most comfortable, and works for someone. Either foot forward is ok as long as you're in balance and can deliver a good stoke. The only thing to worry about with the right foot back is like in the picture Ripper posted where it looks to me as if back right foot is on the target line.

I personally have the right foot forward. Makes it easier for me to keep my weight on the right side ang get my head over the ball. I also set my right foot a little behind the ball and parallel to my target line. It then becomes my putting guide: there's no way I can pull my stroke inside or I'd hit my foot. It forces me to come straight back and straight through.

My setup:

https://www.dropbox....330493.mp4?dl=0

I like that. Your feet are nearly parallel like mine - right foot not way forward. More in balance that way.

I can’t seem to let this thread die...

Has anyone tried counterbalancing? Prior to this experiment I have been using a GoLo mid S cut down to standard length with a DIY clevis pin counterbalance. My stroke has never been smoother.

I am wondering if extra weight would be good for side saddle to slow the handle down? Some of the heavier putters (F22 or Juan Putt) could probably support that kind of counterbalance.

Has anyone tried counterbalancing? Prior to this experiment I have been using a GoLo mid S cut down to standard length with a DIY clevis pin counterbalance. My stroke has never been smoother.

I am wondering if extra weight would be good for side saddle to slow the handle down? Some of the heavier putters (F22 or Juan Putt) could probably support that kind of counterbalance.

I wouldn't really think the CB would help a side saddle much at all, given how I use it. That top hand for me hardly moves at all,I wouldn't think you'd even notice it with a side saddle.

I wouldn't really think the CB would help a side saddle much at all, given how I use it. That top hand for me hardly moves at all,I wouldn't think you'd even notice it with a side saddle.

Yeah my top hand is almost completely motionless.. not sure counterbalance would matter at all.

WITB:

My understanding was that counterbalancing was useful for those transitioning from an anchored stroke. Having the top hand and thumb on top of the grip does mitigate almost all sway. I had a really positive experience with adding weight (as have many given the popularity of CB) and figured it couldn’t hurt.

Probably not for the directed force users, but some have complained about the heft of the Juan Putt. The F22 can be loaded up over 500g I believe. I personally have not found a putter that is too heavy for me, but then again, I have hands of stone.

My understanding was that counterbalancing was useful for those transitioning from an anchored stroke. Having the top hand and thumb on top of the grip does mitigate almost all sway. I had a really positive experience with adding weight (as have many given the popularity of CB) and figured it couldn’t hurt.

Probably not for the directed force users, but some have complained about the heft of the Juan Putt. The F22 can be loaded up over 500g I believe. I personally have not found a putter that is too heavy for me, but then again, I have hands of stone.

I agree that you can't make a putter too heavy for me... When I was still stupidly turning sideways to putt I had Mickey moused a heavy putter all the way up to 1kg total weight.

WITB: