Worst Shot You Ever Had

DJGainer

How about second shot on a par 5, bunker in front of green is 250-ish to carry with pin right behind it. So you think "ahh ill just play it safe and lay up with a 7 iron and have an easy 60* that you can stick close. Then proceed to SHANK the 7 iron into the S#!* and end up with a double bogey 7?

(Was an easy par 5 too)

Been there did that just few months ago. And that was pretty much just the start to that "awesome" round.

I can't believe I have not posted to this yet as I would swear I did. I guess it could be because I have night sweats thinking about this shot 3 or 4 times a week and it happened 12 years ago.

It happened in our Club Championship. I was coming off a third place finish the year before and was playing well. I was on the first hole during the first day of the tournament. I hit a great drive in the middle and was left with 140 to the pin. I turned over a nice 8 iron hole high but it hooked into the bunker. When I got to it I found my ball plugged into the left lip of the green side bunker right below the lip. I should have taken an unplayable but it did not even cross my mind. I got over it with a foot in the bunker and one over the lip and blasted it just like I would a fried egg.

It came out, went over the green, over the right hand bunker, over the number 9 tee box, and into the creek.

Longest wedge I ever hit and led to a first hole quadruple bogey(I think...selective memory kicks in at this point) that I never recovered from. Heck, I still haven't gotten over it LOL

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

My worst shot ever was in a tournament, in front of a large group of people on the first tee. I was going through my pre shot routine, and on my practice swing I grazed the ball and knocked it off the tee about 5 feet. I have never seen that before or ever heard of anyone doing it either. I then proceeded to take out my 4 wood and nut it about 240 down middle.

COBRA BIO CELL+ (9.5*)-MATRIX 8Q3 STIFF
TITLEIST 585H (21*)-TTDG S300
COBRA FLY Z PRO (5-PW)-TTDG S300
TAYLOR MADE TP Z (56*)-TTDG S300
BETTINARDI BABY BEN -33"

I hooked a drive that hit a house along the fairway. When i got to where the ball went out, the homeowner greeted us yelling and screaming! I told him he was an a** for buying a house along the fairway. That shut him up fast.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

• 2 months later...

About 6 years ago, a real 90° shank from the fairway into a golf cart 15 feet away ... no body turn, toed the ball ... scared the hell out of my co-workers in the cart ...

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

So many to choose from. One that comes to mind is years ago playing my first ever links round at Portmarnock and topping my drive thus yielding a low dribbler into the adjacent parking lot with several people watching.

The worst shot I ever saw though was hit by my dad, who was a terrible golfer. He was teeing off on a long Par 4. I had already hit and had moved to the side of the tee box about ten yards away so that his back was facing directly at me as he hit. Somehow, almost defying the laws of physics, he hit the ball straight between his legs at a 90 degree angle to where he was aiming, where it proceeded to hit me right in the middle of my chest. There was one nanosecond where my brain was going,"Holy S&*! I just got hit by a golf shot", but fortunately the thing was only travelling at about 10 miles an hour and fell harmlessly to the ground next tome. There were then a few moments of silence before we both broke down laughing.

My dad once did the same thing but better: the ball had heat on it through the legs, shot over a 10 foot wall, across the parking lot and INTO the clubhouse (30-40yd or so)

This was the Lake Chabot par-3 course in Oakland, CA. I could not hit a shot in that direction and result with a large bucket and the club of my choice. I still don’t understand the physics of the shot.

i have way too many. The most recent one that comes to mind was last November i was playing in a work tournament at Eagle Vines. I hit a massive (for me) drive on one of the shorter par 4 holes and I had about a ~30 yard pitch onto the green with nothing in front, a bunker to the right and water to the extreme right. I ended up hitting the ball off the toe and it went straight into the water. My buddies didn't stop laughing until 2 holes later (mostly due to all of the smack i started to talk after i hit my drive)

Worst series of shots I've had.............heading out on the back 9 of my local course. #10 (par 4) plays out from the clubhouse and #11(par 3) plays back towards, with a couple ponds separating both holes.

Finish up #10 with a par. Teeing off #11, proceed to sh**k my 6-iron across the pond onto #10 fairway. Then go on to sh**k 2 more shots in a row. Given the angle I had coming from #10 across the pond back to #11, somehow the sh**king of these 2 shots avoided the pond and basically was playing me back and close to #10 tee.

Problem is, #10 is a par 4 and #11 is a par 3, so lying 3 I am about 40 yards past the green on #11, my 4th shot back to has to come in almost 180 degrees in reverse to the hole, and also back across the pond.

Chili-dipped the wedge into the pond (no sh**k!, thank god), but was closer to the parking lot (#10 tee is by the clubhouse) than the green, so ended up hopping in my car instead.

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

On a long dog-leg Par 4 that I usually smash off the tee. I was playing with a few friends for the first time and guess I got nervous lol. On tee shot in my downswing I felt something off and topped the hell out of it. Went about 25 yards and into a group of trees. Next shot connected great but right into a tree. Then the next shot I shanked into another tree. Barely got out of that forest on the next shot. Finished +4 on that one. Most embarrassing hole I've ever played with exception of my first high school tournament hole.

Three good ones to tell:

My Dad. 110 shooter. Used to play 4 times a year. Can't hit a wood. Always a smother or drop kick 3 iron. He hits 6" behind the ball, the ball pops 2 feet in the air and drops back into the divot hole after which the divot flap slapped down closed on top of the ball. It was like a game of peekaboo. I've never laughed so hard in my life. I nearly peed my pants

(He's also hit the 90* backwards shot - off the inside of the hosel - between his legs, but hit a ball washer behind him and not another player)

Me. Interclub. Dewey morning 3 years back. Long par 4. Hungover. Ball way above feet. on a severe side slope for a 200 yard second shot. Right foot and leg slip out at start of downswing, causing me to hit 12" behind the ball and then fall onto the grip end of my 6 iron as it whams me in the ribs. Somehow, I drop kicked the ball and it went 100 yards or so. I literally felt like the next 3 holes I was going to tumble on my downswing. Replaced the spikes a few days later

Me: Provincial two man better ball championships. It is MONSOON rains. 3 holes in and it's like I have been swimming in my golf rain gear. We are playing against two of the top am's in the province. On the downswing with a 2 iron (that's how long ago it was) the club drops out of my grip (as my hands move down) and the grip end drops hits the ball. Thankfully my partner parred it. I was in a state of shock for 2 holes afterwards but came back with some incredible golf when the rain stopped. We top tenned.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Worst shot? Easy.

Last day of a stay-cation from work a number of years ago. Late March into early April. Planned on golfing every day but the weather all week was either rain, sleet, or snow in temps at or just below freezing. Last day home, temp jumps to low 40's. I committed myself....I'm heading out for 18. Whole course to myself. Great round and mood going all the way into the back nine. Pushed my tee shot onto a par 5 and hit a tree and ball drops dead. Pull 3 wood to hit my second. Nutted......and I mean nutted my second shot with the 3 wood only to look up on my follow-thru and see I pulled the shot......BAD. Ball reaches it's apex and starts to drop. OB.....very OB. As I'm watching the ball on it's descent, out of the corner of my eye I see a Black, GMC Yukon driving down the road that runs parallel to the hole. It was fate. That Prov1x and the front passenger side fender were meant to be. Owner of the vehicle pulls into the lot and I drive out to meet him. We exchanged info and I paid for the repair myself to the vehicle. $60 paintless dent repair and the fender was good as new. When I met the driver again to see the repair and the paid invoice, we started chatting and ended up were both pilots, flew out of the same airport, and knew a lot of the same people. Years later, we still keep in touch. Just goes to show it pays to be nice and always do the right thing when no one is watching.

My worst shot ever was in a tournament, in front of a large group of people on the first tee. I was going through my pre shot routine, and on my practice swing I grazed the ball and knocked it off the tee about 5 feet. I have never seen that before or ever heard of anyone doing it either. I then proceeded to take out my 4 wood and nut it about 240 down middle.

You should have just teed it back up again.

It was actually two shots in a row. Hit a worm burner that hit a goose right in the chest. The damn goose flapped its wings and kind of hopped up in the air, landed and stared at us the whole time. Very next shot, another topper that rolled along and hit a much smaller bird, and killed it. I felt really bad and couldn't stop thinking about it for a week or so.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

Might not have technically been the worst but the one that I still painfully recall and have regrets about was at local USGA APL qualifying in 2002 or 2003. I was just getting into playing more on the local tournament scene and was right on the cusp of getting over the nerves and mindset things that can send your game sideways in tournaments. I was well prepared for that round and was feeling good but hit a quick hook off the first tee that almost ended up out of play. I salvaged a bogey, but driving the ball straight was my primary strength and it just got to me when the driving during a tournament didn’t help anchor the round.

I have too many but I'll share my most recent one which was two weeks ago. 368 yard par 4 and I absolutely striped my best drive of the day with some wind behind me right down the middle of the fairway. Was left with about 80 yards. Figured I'd hit a sawed off 55 degree sand wedge in to try and control the spin. Feeling good, I took my set up and just hoseled it out of bounds. Pitched it to within 15 feet, two putt double bogey.

Too many to list, but I actually once hit an iron off the hosel so badly it went 90 degrees sideways. I can't unsee that shot and it was over 30 years ago.

That's tough to do. That reminded me of a crazy shot I had just a month ago. Opening hole, tough par 4, dogleg left, about 425 yards. Mashed a tee shot with a nice draw, took a funny bounce and I was in the left side rough not quite reaching the corner of the dogleg. Not to worry, just need to turn over the 8i a little to draw around corner. Hit the very, very, very toe edge of the 8 iron. The ball squirted out directly 90* along the grass a whopping 15 yards towards my friend. He just looked dumbfounded like how was that physically possible. I couldn't believe it. I don't think I could replicate that shot with 1000 balls. I was laughing at the absurdity of it all, but it must have relaxed me because I just walked over, hit the 8i again without a care, put it to 15 feet, and later casually rolled in the putt for par. Seriously ticked off my match partner!

But the worse shot I have had ever, so crazy that all I can do was laugh. A par 5 with an immediate dogleg right only 125 yards off the tee. So you don't worry about it and just cut the corner. Tee box is at edge of course property, there is a fence about 50 yards behind, a bike path, then the bay. On a day with crazy wind and in our face, while trying to punch a driver, I got under it, ball went almost straight up, the wind caught it, and the ball went backwards, over the fence, one hopped off bike path and into the bay. Ooops. It was just so hilarious with the ball hanging in the air for a moment and the foursome looking up, craning our necks in the wrong direction watching a ball just float the wrong way! Hell of a double bogey from a re-tee.