Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

Final thoughts on these -

1. Im a lower spin, lower launch player. These launch well and typically spin well. But 10-15% go much lower spin and definitely are fliers. I have had 5 in my last 2 rounds with them.

2. They aren't great on fat misses. They're good but not great.

3. On skinny misses they are freaking awesome and it's literally the best feature of them besides how easy they are to hit.

I am a fan but the fliers got in my head - which stinks but doesn't mean they aren't great clubs in the right hands.

I am also a lower spin and launch player. These are the absolute last clubs as that kind of player. Hit my friend's and they are stupid long. I'm back to a more traditional loft in players cavity.

Had a full set and recently sold them. They def wear faster if you use on practice range. It didn't really bother me though. I just wanted a set of 919F, so sold to finance them lol.

Are you still happy with the decision? I just sold my 919f to pursue a set of p790s! Lol!

I just went the other way...stashed the P790's in the closet bag, gaming my new 919F/T combos...this site creates commitment problems, counselors standing by

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

The P790s have become the longest i have played a set consecutively since i joined this site. 1 year mark has been passed!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Wanted to thank balls deep for the comment above. I am addicted to the feel of these clubs but I cannot play them with the way I launch the ball. It's heartbreaking. They would be my unicorn set if I could trust the distances. But I did a test of 10 strikes with both the 760 and 790 with each club in the set 4-g on trackman.

I had one shot out of the 80 with the 760 that was a flier and it wasn't ridiculously low spin, I just cranked it.

Every club in the 790 bag had at least one shot that was 1500-2000 less RPM and went at least 10 yards long. I'm sure that's the combo of my ball flight and the club construction. I just wish there was a way to deal with it. The 790 feel way better than the 760 to me.

Wanted to thank balls deep for the comment above. I am addicted to the feel of these clubs but I cannot play them with the way I launch the ball. It's heartbreaking. They would be my unicorn set if I could trust the distances. But I did a test of 10 strikes with both the 760 and 790 with each club in the set 4-g on trackman.

I had one shot out of the 80 with the 760 that was a flier and it wasn't ridiculously low spin, I just cranked it.

Every club in the 790 bag had at least one shot that was 1500-2000 less RPM and went at least 10 yards long. I'm sure that's the combo of my ball flight and the club construction. I just wish there was a way to deal with it. The 790 feel way better than the 760 to me.

Interesting comments you have there about your testing results..

Here's a good video of the P760, P770, and P790 comparison..

Interesting comments you have there about your testing results..

Here's a good video of the P760, P770, and P790 comparison..

Interesting video. So of his 6 shots with the 790, the three that he struck well were similar, he hit a fat and a thin which were both playable but a bit shorter and a big pull that went a bit further as you would expect and made his dispersion pattern double the size it would have been . No flyers, just consistently longer than the others largely down to jacked lofts. He also hit the 770 more consistently than the 760.

I'm now 5 months in on my 790 ownership and still seeing zero distance control issues but loving the consistent extra distance I am getting.

Im incredibly jealous of your results. I really, really believe this comes down to the launch/speed profile of the player. For higher speed/spin players I think this set is likely a freaking godsend.

I had the exact same issue with the CF16 irons - so it's not me crapping on the 790s. In fact I am meeting with a club builder this week to see if there's a shaft profile that might give me higher launch/spin to counteract my 790 issues. But I also have 760s right now, and find the distance management for me to be much better, I just like the feel of the 790s way better. I understand its a tradeoff with the construction.

My 790 modus3 120T combo is without a doubt the best iron shaft combo I’ve ever had. With being said, I think I’m still going to add the 760 7/8-pw for this upcoming season.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Im incredibly jealous of your results. I really, really believe this comes down to the launch/speed profile of the player. For higher speed/spin players I think this set is likely a freaking godsend.

I had the exact same issue with the CF16 irons - so it's not me crapping on the 790s. In fact I am meeting with a club builder this week to see if there's a shaft profile that might give me higher launch/spin to counteract my 790 issues. But I also have 760s right now, and find the distance management for me to be much better, I just like the feel of the 790s way better. I understand its a tradeoff with the construction.

If you can work with the lighter weight try the Nippon 950s. I'm around the 105 driver s.s mark and using the off the shelf 950 in stiff albeit at +1". Great combo for me.

I also had great success in the fitting with Shimada Constants which are similar, albeit a bit rare to find to demo.

I had the black 790s with $taper 120s. Really like the irons and extra distance, but wasn’t was accurate or confident in them. Sold them after 2 months. Finish wasn’t horrible wear but not great either. If you are OCD about your finish lasting perfect don’t get the black. I think my lack of confidence WAS because of the added distance. I think I babied them and didn’t just swing knowing that I had so much forgiveness. Stupid yes. I went back to my trusty MP18 w Pro Modus3 120S.

I did play around with a buds 760s. Really nice. Could easily bag them. Nothing magical but solid set. Still prefer the 750s in that entire line.

If I had to recommend someone who didn’t change clubs a lot and needed one awesome set it wld be 790. (If I had put the Pro Modus 3 in the 790s it might have been perfect. Not sure. Something was just missing for me even though I wanted to love them.

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S
Titleist T100S w DG 105 4-PW

Miura K2.0 54, 60. SM9 black 50

SC Kombi S 

I have made a recent observation and it may mean nothing. Anyway I just noticed in many reviews with the head broken down that the foam has a bowl shape sub woofer type area in the center. They never show the back of the face piece but would that mean that there’s a thicker, circular area on the face behind the sweetspot?

I have made a recent observation and it may mean nothing. Anyway I just noticed in many reviews with the head broken down that the foam has a bowl shape sub woofer type area in the center. They never show the back of the face piece but would that mean that there’s a thicker, circular area on the face behind the sweetspot?

TM has used inverted cone tech in irons since r7. Google it, you’ve got the right idea kind of

I have made a recent observation and it may mean nothing. Anyway I just noticed in many reviews with the head broken down that the foam has a bowl shape sub woofer type area in the center. They never show the back of the face piece but would that mean that theres a thicker, circular area on the face behind the sweetspot?

TM has used inverted cone tech in irons since r7. Google it, youve got the right idea kind of

Ok gotcha. I assumed there was some kind of variable face thickness by the way the foam pieces looked but there was never a shot of the back of the face. What you could see it looked rather uniform so I was just curious.

Are we expecting a 790 Gen2 with the new releases or just M5 and M6 irons?

... Just a guess, but I think not. The Mgr at PGA SS tells me the P790's are still one of his best selling irons and with the release of the P760's it would make sense to just keep the P790's in the line up for another year. Since TM has restructured and not even going to the PGA Show this year, it would be a smart move to not take a chance on ruining a good thing. Hopefully they have the P790 Gen 2's in R&D, play testing and if for some reason the P790's stopped selling next spring they could release them early but generating some buzz late summer and releasing them next fall would seem like a good business move.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Are we expecting a 790 Gen2 with the new releases or just M5 and M6 irons?

... Just a guess, but I think not. The Mgr at PGA SS tells me the P790's are still one of his best selling irons and with the release of the P760's it would make sense to just keep the P790's in the line up for another year. Since TM has restructured and not even going to the PGA Show this year, it would be a smart move to not take a chance on ruining a good thing. Hopefully they have the P790 Gen 2's in R&D, play testing and if for some reason the P790's stopped selling next spring they could release them early but generating some buzz late summer and releasing them next fall would seem like a good business move.

Thx - good thoughts

Good read here. Thanks for all the feedback, extremely useful. I hope you guys can help me out with some questions.

I was hitting a demo 7 iron earlier this week at PGAss and was hitting it incredible. I dialed in on the recoil 780 in stiff. It was the most consistent and I was averaging 172 which is easily 12yds longer as my current gamer.

As you can imagine, stoked especially as dispersion was tight and I got rid of the 20 yrd draw I had to fight recently. Automatic pilot. Great. So searching the web since and going through this thread. Based on that, went to anotherPGASS again yesterday to compare my current 7ir (Cally XR pro with XP95 stiff shaft).

Not great with interpretation of all the data, hope you guys can help. I’m a 6hcp. This is what I got from GC2 on averages:

Current gamer:

Ball speed: 108.3

Launch: 19.3

Side angle: 1.3

Backspin: 6658

Sidespin: 533

Descent angle: 46.0

Offline: 3.3L

Peak: 28

Carry: 148

Total: 158

P790

Ball speed: 109.8

Launch: 19.7

Side angle: 1.9

Backspin: 5428

Sidespin: 639

Descent angle: 45.5

Offline: 4.8L

Peak: 29

Carry: 154

Total: 165

So I see a lot of talk about P790 potentially not being for low spin players. I’m not sure what category I fit in with currently 6658 and shaving off1200 with the p790. That seems to be the main contributor to additional distance as the rest seems to be fairly similar.

Should I be concerned about inconsistencies given the above nrs or is this a perfect fit for the 790 (given these nrs)?

Thanks for your insights!

From those numbers I'd take your current gamers every day. Your descent angle could be even steeper than it currently is but I'm sure you're holding greens okay. That spin and descent with the P790 is bordering on too low and if you get a flier lie you'll be going over the back of greens easily. No chance that extra distance is worth it in my mind but that's just me. Your spin on current gamers is damn near perfect. Are you scoring well with them?

From those numbers I'd take your current gamers every day. Your descent angle could be even steeper than it currently is but I'm sure you're holding greens okay. That spin and descent with the P790 is bordering on too low and if you get a flier lie you'll be going over the back of greens easily. No chance that extra distance is worth it in my mind but that's just me. Your spin on current gamers is damn near perfect. Are you scoring well with them?

That’s not what I want to hear off course, i’m Persuading myself to buy new irons:)

Kidding aside. Thanks for the feedback. Just so I understand correctly, there’s close to nothing in descent angle so the drop in spin is giving that conclusion right?

My on course reality: I have a high ball flight which I used to try to get down. With the xr pro’s they stay piercing so happy with that. No issues stopping balls whatsoever.

That drop in spin could become an issue in combination with the rest of my numbers. I’m scoring well with my current gamers. In fact I halved my hcp because of the distance increase I got with my driver and irons. That’s the entire reason I’m even considering the p790

That's not what I want to hear off course, i'm Persuading myself to buy new irons:)

Kidding aside. Thanks for the feedback. Just so I understand correctly, there's close to nothing in descent angle so the drop in spin is giving that conclusion right?

My on course reality: I have a high ball flight which I used to try to get down. With the xr pro's they stay piercing so happy with that. No issues stopping balls whatsoever.

That drop in spin could become an issue in combination with the rest of my numbers. I'm scoring well with my current gamers. In fact I halved my hcp because of the distance increase I got with my driver and irons. That's the entire reason I'm even considering the p790

I switched from clubs I was getting around 5500 rpm spin with (GI clubs) to fitted i200s where I have optimal numbers (6500rpm, 30-32 yard peak height, 47 descent, 165 carry) and I am now consistently around or under 80. My accuracy has improved greatly. I'm hitting around 10 GIR per round now which has made a huge difference in score. I never get fliers, I know my distances and I'm confident every time I'm standing over the ball. I'm a club ho but I'm in love with my irons. I'm not saying don't switch, but I'd stick to something where you get a high ball flight (as you can always hit a punch), good spin, and good descent. I'm not pimping Ping i in a TM thread but honestly try them. They're GI forgiving but have the pin point accuracy of a players iron. I liked the p790 but the spin honestly scares the s*** out of me. Despite the arguments that they still launch high etc you can still get fliers.

Edit: To answer your question - your spin numbers with you irons easily say to stick with them. If you're into a TM set maybe try the P770. Great spin and feel but still decent distance.

• 4 weeks later...

seems like the opinion of the 790s is finally set in, but i must say that i am a little happier with my 790s after hitting the 760s.

the p760 is likely too much club for me, i am just not that good. however, my main gripe with the 790s was the stronger lofts and unrealistic distances.

i hit a 6i of 760/790 side by side and the numbers were very similar.

I think a lot of the concern related to low spin of the 790’s occurs when people compare the number on the club (7 iron to 7 iron). While the numbers on the P790 and P760s each say 7 iron, their lofts are very different.

my point is that despite this, the performance was quite similar for me. i feel a bit better about the clubs

• 2 weeks later...

Another impressive performance from my 790s today. I'm 6 months and probably about 50 rounds in with them and can honestly say my distance control has been spot on with these. I had to adjust to the distance gain initially but distance control has always been a strength of my game and I have total confidence in these.

They are just so forgiving. When you are off these really cover it up. Best TM irons ever for a mid capper like me.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

just played for the first time this season, was in atlanta, and i wont be play for a while in NY....BUT....

I just cannot say enough things about these irons- after a little over a year i am finally nailing my long irons- still a small gapping issue between my 9 and PW, but i love these clubs. took a little time, but i think i have finally gotten fully used to these irons

I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....

Are those yardages accurate?

I play P770s and only hit a 6 iron 150. I've been toying with the idea of switching to irons that give me more distance like you mentioned. In any case, the fact that you play to a + handicap with (what appear to be) the same distances as I do gives me cause for optimism!

I have come back to these after 3 months with the 760’s. I love how the 760’s look and feel, would love to carry on with them, but I just couldn’t live with the 1 1/2-2 clubs I lost in distance... hitting an 8 from 150 yards is better than hitting a 6 any day.....

Are those yardages accurate?

I play P770s and only hit a 6 iron 150. I've been toying with the idea of switching to irons that give me more distance like you mentioned. In any case, the fact that you play to a + handicap with (what appear to be) the same distances as I do gives me cause for optimism!

I moved from P770 to P790 and gained 1 club. And my 8 still launches like an 8, and lands like an 8.

Received my custom p790 3 iron bent 1° strong to 18° from taylormade. Played 18 holes today..wow very impressed! Very long off the tee as a driving iron and easy to hit off the fairway. Probably most forgiving and long 3 iron/2 iron I've ever hit, ball rockets off the face.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red