My 1-star review of Whistling Straits

zer0

then the PGA has some 'splainin to do...

hate to say it but, if the bunkers were consistent...then what you get is what you get.

it's like someone saying they are pissed that they played in scotland and had 'too much wind' for scotland. it's a by-product of the course development -- the course wasn't meant to have soft bunkers mostly b/c of the fact that there were so many. the reason why it's easy to hit out of their fairway bunkers is why it's harder to hit out of the greenside ones -- but they're consistent.

you were 9 holes into your round man...you can't be 'shocked' about the condition of the bunker...

PGA played different course/local rules than what they play out there for tourists. We were told on first tee that we can ground our clubs in any waste areas/bunkers that didn't have a rake, i.e. ALL the fairway bunkers like the one DJ was in.

Also, like I already said, the bunkers were NOT consistent. Some had plenty of sand, some had none.

Sorry, but even after 9 holes I was still shocked that the $500 course I was on had crappier bunkers than the muni's I play back home. And I was only in 2 of them at that point so its not like I was out scouting every other bunker out there. Both times I was in a greenside bunker I was hitting off hard pan trying to clear a high face.

I really don't think you are going to win anybody over on this one. The bunkers are the last thing the course maintains on the grounds. Sand is expensive, and bunkers are a HAZARD. The Olympic course had different types of sand in the bunkers. (Is that somehow unfair because they aren't consistent). Bunkers don't have to be consistent, that's why they are hazards. Players measure the depth of sand with their feet. Learn more bunker shots. Have an alternative wedge to your sand wedge that allows you to deliver the leading edge in a compact bunker. The caddie gave you the right play; it's not his fault you can't execute or that you don't have the club needed. I wouldn't go to a place like Whistling Straits without my sand game on point. Links golf is trying to constantly put you in situations that you aren't ready for, sounds like you weren't ready.

One-star his shows how bitter you are. What about quality of the turf, green speed and condition, rough, practice facilities, course set up, etc.

Personally, bunkers are the last thing I judge about a course because I know it's the most overlooked and last to be tended. I like the bunker when around the green, if I am in the trees and can't elevate the ball I will often punch to a green side bunker. So I understand the frustration, but hey that's golf. Play it as it lies or take an unplayable. Again to me it sounds like you played over all poorly and are more mad about that.

I recently played Ballybunion in Ireland, I was lucky enough to get a true Links experience with 20mph wind and rain on and off. Loved every f*****g second of it. Quaded 17 and shot 88 with rental clubs and no wedges. I ain't mad, just itching for more.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, WS has more waste areas than bunkers. You hit it in a waste area, you expect cr*p. If a course is going to have greenside bunkers, they need to have a proper amount of sand. No, it doesn't have to be groomed to the nines, but it had better have some sand, especially for $500. Yes, sand is expensive. However, $500 rounds can buy a lot of sand.

I played at Cog Hill Dubsdread last Friday. It's the 2nd most expensive public course in the Chicago area at $155. The greenside bunkers were trash. Very little sand in most, and the underlining was coming up in places. It was similar to the poor conditions at Harborside International. Frankly, I was shocked, as Dubs has always prided itself on its bunkers. On Sunday I played Glenview Park GC, a local muni, for $35. The bunkers were amazing. You hit a bunker shot and you hear a nice "thump" in the sand, and not a "clang" of the wedge off the hard pan.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I agree that expensive courses should have great sand and plenty of it, consistent from bunker to bunker.

However, here is how I finally figured out firm/dirt bunkers while living in Phoenix.

You set up like normal, but swing EXTREMELY slowly, and use less flicking motion. This allows the club to dig more and not so much as to bounce up off of the firm layer under the small amount of sand/dirt.

• 1 year later...

I guess we'll have to disagree.

Where I come from, you pay $500 for golf there should be sand in the greenside bunkers. I understand the difference between waste areas and bunkers, the ones by the green were bunkers where you weren't allowed to ground your club.

And sorry, but I do blame the caddie for the shot on #9. I told him exactly what the shot would do, he should've told me about the bunker that I didn't see. Ball didn't take any odd bounce, it stayed in the fairway and rolled into the bunker which was on the left side of the fairway.

And as far as I know, the shot he was telling me to try was impossible unless I wanted to break my wrist or club. Trying to chop a ball off of hard pan over a 4 foot high face that's 2-3 feet away, if that shot is possible its definitely above my pay grade.

...didn't you say you've played there before?

fool me once...shame on you...fool me twice...shame on...who?

*after re-reading your issue on 9...seems to me like if you were playing the fade, the 'miss' would be left of the pin. is it just possible that, regardless of the bunker to the right --- you hit it too far right of your line? clearly the bunker wasn't infront of the green, but i'm guessing right of the green?

Bunker was on the left side of the fairway and green, not on the right.

Like I said though, the 1 star review is not because of the caddie. If everything else was perfect I would've knocked off a star for the bad caddie and still given the course 3 stars out of 4. The poor conditon of the greenside bunkers is why I gave the course 1 star which I think is more than deserving for a $500 course.

at $500 any less than PERFECT conditions is unacceptable.

Simple solution, don’t hit it in the bunker. Bunkers are meant to be penal, it’s the nature of the beast.

Whistling is awesome. Is it worth $500, maybe not, but great course, and quite the experience.

I didn't have any issues other than the mosquitos! They were rampaging!

With that said, I do however think the straits is a pretty weak golf course with amazing views. I'll argue Erin Hills is 10x the course the strait is and deserves another chance for a US Open or PGA championship. I did it to say I did it. Walk those grounds where the greats played and will be exciting to see the upcoming ryder cup at Whistling. Would rather play erin hills or sand valley if I had a weekend in the area.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

it is a bunker. its not supposed to be easy to hit out of. It cracks me up when people complain about the bunker conditions. The whole point is to increase the difficulty of the game. Give me a break with the complaining. Your playing a top 100 course in the world and your worried about 1 bunker. Now its one thing if the bunker is so bad it has rocks in it that can damage your club. But just packed sand is not that hard to hit out of. Practice your sand shots more and you'll find out.

• 2 months later...

The part of this post that makes me laugh the most is that OP was in the bunker in 2, took a quad, and blames poor sand conditions.. Misreading the sand I can see costing someone a shot, but to blame a quad on it is beyond me. BTW I played whistling this past summer and hit it in that exact bunker he's talking about. I don't know if they read his "1 star review" but that bunker was like swimming in sand. Definitely a tough bunker/green complex though.

Dunno where I fall on the caddie stuff, never had much experience there.

But I'm a little shocked how many are going after the OP about the bunker situation. This isn't a waste area like many people are clouding the issue with. This is a greenside bunker. For $500 I ABSOLUTELY expect conditions to be close to immaculate with regards to tee boxes, fairways, greens, and greenside bunkers. That's my opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

But I'm a little shocked how many are going after the OP about the bunker situation. This isn't a waste area like many people are clouding the issue with. This is a greenside bunker. For $500 I ABSOLUTELY expect conditions to be close to immaculate with regards to tee boxes, fairways, greens, and greenside bunkers. That's my opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

P

People get on the OP because of his "One Star Review" comments as well as the fact that he puts almost all of his reasoning behind why he played poorly on his caddie and one bad bunker. I hyperbolize a lot of things to get my point across, but one star for Whistling Straits is overkill. It's a top 100 course in the country for a reason. 4 stars or 3 as well as sound reasoning for why (read as: not blaming the caddie and bunker for his meltdown, pointing out that he wouldn't drop $500 to play there again)? Sure. But 1? Nope.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

P

People get on the OP because of his "One Star Review" comments as well as the fact that he puts almost all of his reasoning behind why he played poorly on his caddie and one bad bunker. I hyperbolize a lot of things to get my point across, but one star for Whistling Straits is overkill. It's a top 100 course in the country for a reason. 4 stars or 3 as well as sound reasoning for why (read as: not blaming the caddie and bunker for his meltdown, pointing out that he wouldn't drop $500 to play there again)? Sure. But 1? Nope.

I'll agree with you. I'd only point out reasoning could be based off expectations. If I paid $50 and played a course like Whistling Straits and found a maintenance issue, I'm happy to overlook it and rate 4 or 5 stars. Still a lot of value there. But I agree with the OP that for $500 I have expectations that conditions will be world class. It's why I'm paying $500 and not $50. And why my star rating might drop to a 3 or so for me, and combined with other issues meant the OP rated it a 1. I agree with you that a 1 might be overkill, but I don't think it's crazy.

I guess I'd like to see that particular bunker on that particular day. OP makes it sound like it was hitting off concrete (as if sand wasnt added for years). This would be inexcusable. However I feel like this is very unlikely. I personally know how the maintainence is done there because I know people who have done internships in their turf programs. There is no way the super would let a bunker get that bad (especially a greenside bunker right next to the clubhouse). It just wouldnt happen. Not with the money and resources that department has. They send guys out every day to hand rake all greenside traps. But to say that whistling neglects their bunkers seems ignorant to me.

Now maybe it was playing a little firm that day due to rain/sunbaking. That is a tough bunker to get out of. I could see if the weather had baked that trap it could be a little difficult. However to give a 1 star review based on that? That's too far. Whistling does a world class job in the product they present you. Being this mad over what I am sure was just a weather worn bunker (something no course can avoid if rain hits and then it gets hot) just isn't fair to the course that is Whistling Straits.

This is a very interesting thread with view points that are somewhat extremely opposite. I think some of this comes from expectations vs. reality and the expectations you have for a price point.

Personally, I completely understand the OP's perspective. Is 1 star a fair assessment? Maybe not to me or you, but for him...it was. He's venting disappointment of a "premium" course with greenside bunkers (not waste areas) that have little to no sand (and IMO waste areas are different than green side bunkers). We can take that for whatever that's worth. The caddie situation...it sounds like it isn't just the situation where he wasn't informed of a hazard when playing his shot...it sounds like it wasn't a great experience overall. Can caddies have bad days...sure. But it sounds like it was a pretty negative experience with the caddie providing some bad reads and excluding details the OP would have wanted to know.

Is a 1* fair? Maybe, maybe not...for the OP...it's how he felt for the $$ he spent.

I'm not sure why the OP is being banged up

for $500 clams the green side traps should not be hard pan ... nothing ruins a round like what should be an easy par, at worst bogey, .... turned into a triple due to very weak maintenance practices

I hate the bladed bunker shot

he's not gettin banged up -- moreso understanding the situation on the whole -- i mean, if someone gives a 1 star review to a new pizza joint b/c he doesn't like the sauce b/c it's not how his favorite place makes it -- seems unfair to the new pizza joint, no?

was just trying to get the whole picture. basting the kid on his bag for a poor shot is too easy to do, hell, we all can find reason for blame on a bad shot. just seems like OP needed a breath and realize that yes, he paid $500. sure, the kid on his bag wasn't stevie williams, and yes, his back could've been the reason for not shooting under 90 like he wanted to since he came home in 47, and sure, the bunkers weren't primo...but are they a reason to give a rough review of the course on the whole?...probably not.

in hindsight maybe it was just a 2.5...hell, maybe a 3 if his shoes didn't untie during the round...

Agreed. We went to Prairie Club this Memorial Day. It was before their full ground crew was in, so the course was still shaggy and there were some beat up bunkers. Hit the fairway on the 18th on Dunes 3 straight rounds (they are huge fairways) and ending up with lies that were like the first cut of rough each time. They also didn't change the pin location for multiple days.

Is that worth a "1* review"? Of course not, that's absurd, but using this thread as a barometer, some might indeed say that. They are fun courses and it's a solid facility, with some small things they could do to improve it. But it wasn't a sh1tshow which something that gets 1* would indicate.

I've played the Prairie Club several times...I would be extremely disappointed if the course were charging the full rate and the conditions were far below what it should be (which it sounds like it was...at least enough for you to mention it).

I guess I'd like to see that particular bunker on that particular day. OP makes it sound like it was hitting off concrete (as if sand wasnt added for years). This would be inexcusable. However I feel like this is very unlikely. I personally know how the maintainence is done there because I know people who have done internships in their turf programs. There is no way the super would let a bunker get that bad (especially a greenside bunker right next to the clubhouse). It just wouldnt happen. Not with the money and resources that department has. They send guys out every day to hand rake all greenside traps. But to say that whistling neglects their bunkers seems ignorant to me.

Now maybe it was playing a little firm that day due to rain/sunbaking. That is a tough bunker to get out of. I could see if the weather had baked that trap it could be a little difficult. However to give a 1 star review based on that? That's too far. Whistling does a world class job in the product they present you. Being this mad over what I am sure was just a weather worn bunker (something no course can avoid if rain hits and then it gets hot) just isn't fair to the course that is Whistling Straits.

As OP I'll state it again, there was no sand in either of the 2 greenside bunkers I had issues with that day. Completely hard pan. Coupled with steep faces I found the shot to be impossible. Years back when this thread was active I asked if anyone knew how to hit that shot and still haven't gotten an answer. As far as I know, its a completely unplayable shot. Hard pan bunker, 4 foot wall in front of you, very little room to stand or operate inside sliver of bunker.

I went back to Kohler and played the Irish course. Much better golf course and actually in good condition.

As OP I'll state it again, there was no sand in either of the 2 greenside bunkers I had issues with that day. Completely hard pan. Coupled with steep faces I found the shot to be impossible. Years back when this thread was active I asked if anyone knew how to hit that shot and still haven't gotten an answer. As far as I know, its a completely unplayable shot. Hard pan bunker, 4 foot wall in front of you, very little room to stand or operate inside sliver of bunker.

I went back to Kohler and played the Irish course. Much better golf course and actually in good condition.

Well I if the bunker was truly in that condition then that was wrong. However I would say its not an unplayable shot. For future reference if you ever find yourself in this situation (a hardpan bunker with a steep lip), grab your highest lofted, low bounce wedge and play it like a high shot from a tight lie on the fairway. You should have no problem playing a high, soft pitch shot in that situation.

On another note I got to play the Irish as well and I think as a course I enjoyed it more. The Straits has that famous, "tour" feel that makes it cool in its own way, but the Irish is quite a bit easier and a blast to play.

• 1 month later...

I have a novel idea for OP and anyone else that feels the same. Next time you play a course of the status of WS, carry/push your own bag, and buy one of those handy dandy yardage books for 1/10th the price of a caddy. Then you have nobody to blame but yourself for your mediocre golf shot that costs you strokes.

I went without a caddy at Pebble Beach, Sand Valley, Streamsong, Sentry World, I will at Straits someday and any other course I play. I'm still perfectly alive to talk about it today and have nobody to blame for any shot I hit.

I have a novel idea for OP and anyone else that feels the same. Next time you play a course of the status of WS, carry/push your own bag, and buy one of those handy dandy yardage books for 1/10th the price of a caddy. Then you have nobody to blame but yourself for your mediocre golf shot that costs you strokes.

I went without a caddy at Pebble Beach, Sand Valley, Streamsong, Sentry World, I will at Straits someday and any other course I play. I'm still perfectly alive to talk about it today and have nobody to blame for any shot I hit.

Great suggestion, I suppose I should also bring several bags full of sand so I can add sand to the bunkers that had none? Since that was, ya know, the actual main reason for the low review and bad experience.

Maybe along the way I can go back in time and not have 7 spine surgeries so then I can come back to the present and be physically able to carry my own bag 100 yards let alone the full length of a golf course.

My suggestion for you is that you learn to read better.

Well I if the bunker was truly in that condition then that was wrong. However I would say its not an unplayable shot. For future reference if you ever find yourself in this situation (a hardpan bunker with a steep lip), grab your highest lofted, low bounce wedge and play it like a high shot from a tight lie on the fairway. You should have no problem playing a high, soft pitch shot in that situation.

On another note I got to play the Irish as well and I think as a course I enjoyed it more. The Straits has that famous, "tour" feel that makes it cool in its own way, but the Irish is quite a bit easier and a blast to play.

This has to be placed in the all time WRX quote vault..... spoken like a true WRX 9+ handicap.

Note to self - WS has a hidden greenside bunker on approach at 9. Take an extra club.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX