2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Driver Thoughts - Callaway Epic Flash vs. Cobra F9

leftycabe

Hey Guys,

I am torn between the Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero and the Cobra F9 drivers for this year. I played the G400 LST in 2018 and never fell in love with it. I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to hit these side by side. Before I get the standard response of, "you have to hit both and get fit..." please understand I am looking for other people's experiences and I am hoping to get the opportunity to hit both at some point. Ideally, I'd like to buy in the next 1-2 weeks.

Here are my quick thoughts on each:

Cally Likes:

1. Love the compact head of the SZ version but not as big a fan of the larger standard version
  2. Loved the feel of my original Epic, but didn't ever hit the SZ version
  3. Love how adjustable the head is
  4. Love that the grip orientation remains the same even when changing the adjustments on the optifit
  5. Love the Jailbreak technology
  6. Love the idea of flash face technology
  7. Love the deeper head as my worst miss is typically a bit towards the high toe

Cally Concerns:

1. I'm not sure about the open clubface on the SZ version to promote a bit of a fade as I already hit a fade and my miss is a slightly larger cut.
  2. It sounds like the SZ version is fairly unforgiving. I hit the center of the clubface about 80% of the time, but I don't want wild fly balls if I miss the center.
  3. Several online reviews show the SZ spinning below 2,000. To me, that seems too low and could lead to larger misses and balls dropping out of the sky due to lack of spin.
  4. I play a driver at 44.5 and I reached out to Cally asking about additional head weights to keep the club at the proper swing weight, but the guy I talked to just kept questioning me and never gave me much of an answer other than they have shaft weights they can use to increase weight........ Seems like an odd place to add weight to me as this then increases the already heavy optifit area. In my past Epic, I had it at 44.5 inches and they sent me the club with an additional sliding weight in the track to maintain swing weight. That seemed like the right way to do this... to me. (Note: I'm not a professional club builder so I understand I may be wrong.

Cobra Likes:

1. I think it's awesome they have the option online to buy the "Tour Length Driver" at 44.5". This completely spells out that it is 44.5" and they increase the weights in the head to maintain swing weight. This clarity is awesome to someone who can be a bit too into the details of things.
  2. I love the look of the CNC Milled Face.
  3. I am a big fan of the lower "crack" sound it makes from impact (based on online reviews)
  4. I think the Dual Roll and E9 Technology are both awesome
  5. For me, better shaft options than Cally

Cobra Concerns:

1. I don't love the top of the driver as it looks a bit busy.
  2. I have never hit or played any Cobra product, ever. This is a big concern when I'm ordering something online. I have had good experiences with Callaway and Ping so it's scary to pull the trigger on something different.

Please let me know what your thoughts are. My game - playing off a 6 handicap. Used to play a lot, now about once a week in the summer. Hoping to play a lot more this year. Hit an average drive about 285-290 with mid trajectory. Usually hit a slight fade as I used to be terrified of the hook in my competitive days.

If you want to save a bunch of dough and play a “Tour length” club get an LTD and chop it down an inch and throw 8 grams of lead tape on the sole.

LTD is still a great golf club. I don’t care for Cally, TM, or Ping drivers at all for the last few years so my opinion is skewed a bit I guess.

I have never hit or played any Cobra product, ever. This is a big concern when I'm ordering something online. I have had good experiences with Callaway and Ping so it's scary to pull the trigger on something different.

Don't sweat this one with Cobra. I posted a thread a while ago related to them handling a situation where the custom shaft I wanted for 4W was no longer available. They went above and beyond in the resolution.

I'm all Cobra now from utility to driver. They make good stuff.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Watched a guy in his final stages of testing the new F9.

He hit a couple of very solid sounding, beautiful draws on his last 2 swings and the salesperson said to him "That's the one" and the guy agreed so the salesperson went to see if they had the club in stock. So I talked to the guy a bit and he remarked he usually misses right.

Anyway, I saw it was the new F9 and, since I was warmed up from hitting irons I asked him if he minded if I hit it a bit.

So first swing with it was this beautiful mid flight draw. 6 MPH more ball speed than my existing driver and any number of others I've tried. 10 yards carry.

So of course I kept hitting it and found only a couple more than I hit that well. Other were right misses and some mishits.

Net-net, the shaft was the Tensei Blue "S" 50 series. Tensei Blue is mid-mid but I was getting mid-launch with low 2000s spin rates (higher sole weight forward). I typically hit my Hzrdus Black "60" "S" and it's low-low.

Anyway, the shaft was much lighter than I'm used to and I never felt it was in the right spot for the forward swing but as a preliminary test of the head, it definitely bears some looking into. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I looked at both and went with the F9. I have played on Cobra driver in the past (Bio Cell pro) and have played Callaway the past couple of years (Epic standard and then Rogue and Rogue Sub Zero last year). The Callaway Sub Zeros look good to me (which is really important to me) but they are definitely more fade biased, at least for my swing. I also have issues with swingweighting because I like to pay my driver a little shorter than standard and Callaway really doesn't do much with regard to swing weight. The things I liked about the Cobra were the look at the top, the sound which is phenomenal (really best of any driver in recent memory), the ball speed, and their ability to build it exactly like I wanted.

On my last point, Callaway has very good customer service (I have had one or two issue over the years and they have always dealt with them very well), but in my experience Cobra is the best. I called to order my driver on Tuesday the week it was released, spoke to one of the guys there who answered a few questions and worked through my build (no problem with shortened length and extra weights). He told me that they could probably get it out in a couple of days but were a little backed up. I ended up calling on Thursday morning because the weather on Friday looked great and they not only got it built early but delivered it by 10AM the next morning so I could play with it that day. And the build was spot on.

I have played a couple of rounds with it and have hit it extensively on my indoor set up and am not disappointed. So much so that I ordered the fairway yesterday (custom built that was delivered today).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

I hit both yesterday

the flash was a bit too hook biased, albeit very long

the sz flash was too low spin, unless I used the 50g Evenflow

the F9 felt better, sounded better and with the Atmos blue

the launch & spin# we’re almost perfect

my .02$

TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

I hit the f9 not the cally but fwiw the f9 was long and str8 for me.

Indoors sim so who really knows but appeared to be a good improvement over my 915 gamer. If I swap out this year, it's already in my heart.

The feel was really fantastic. And a solid thud. Hit about 10 shots and 8 of them were good. Didn't even look at the shaft, was primarily trying to find a 5w.

The yellow color was actually pretty nice.

And it was a good yellow, not canary, kinda like the difference bt srixon ball yellow and other yellows that aren't quite right. This yellow was kinda subtle in person.

If I make a little extra dough in 1q of 2019, gonna put together a whole cobra bag with connect.

OK, today I went back for more, this time mostly Epic Flash Sub Zero.

Hit the F9 with Atmos Black & Hzrdus Smoke, They felt better than the previous Tensei Blue but weren't consistent enough for me with either one - similar to my first attempt with the 50 weight Tensei Blue.

Epic Flash Sub Zero was really good. Couple of MPH less that the top speed of the previous F9 w/Tensei but achieved that top speed a fair bit more often and with more control.

Gotta admit that when I first stood up to it I realized right away it was short. Turned out to be 44.75". Also, I loved the way it looked setting up to the ball. The shaft appeared to me to be kind of skinny down towards the clubhead and gave me a feeling that the head would whip right on through the ball.

This was with a 44.75 inch NON-handcrafted Hzrdus Yellow, 70 weight class, 6.5 (X-Stiff). Redonkculous !!! My ss is in the puny neighborhood of 93-94 but the numbers don't(?) lie.

I took my own Fusion w/Hzrdus Black 60 weight, 6.0 flex into the store and swapped shafts. Also hit a Hzrdus Smoke with the Flash and neither the Smoke or my own Black gave me any more carry distance or consistency than the Hzrdus Yellow. In fact they were both worse.

In this case, too short, too stiff and too heavy equaled the best combo for consistency AND distance. .

Go figure. :dntknw:

Also got some really good results on off center hits. Seemed to be considerably more forgiving than the original Epic SZ from 2 seasons ago.

And BTW, for anybody who thinks the Epic Flash is "too loud", you're nutz. :wacko: You've obviously never hit the L4V or Nike Sumo.

Epic Flash sounds just fine. Performs even better.

Anyway, certainly a good enough session to keep it in the mix for more testing. :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

And BTW, for anybody who thinks the Epic Flash is "too loud", you're nutz. :wacko: You've obviously never hit the L4V or Nike Sumo.

Anyway, certainly a good enough session to keep it in the mix for more testing. :)

Ah, the unicorn 8.5 Cobra L4V-X... us mere mortals could only wish. Back then, if you recall, the WRX rage was open face. More open face... how times & perception has changed. Oh the Sumo was the most worst sound, made the L4V sound like a pretty young Opera star

OP the Epic Flash SZ has a sliding weight that you can tune. I haven’t got mine yet but imho, I think this edition of Sub Zero is the most functional driver with the forward weight & a sliding weight at back to adjust swing weight, flight & spin. You could go bat s*** crazy with the combo. This is the driver I have been waiting for from Callaway with the legit JailBreak. Rogue SZ was close but it was hard to turn over (fade city) so I went back to the Epic GBB with my weight slider,, set for high draw. EFSZ should knock this out...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Ah, the unicorn 8.5 Cobra L4V-X... us mere mortals could only wish. Back then, if you recall, the WRX rage was open face. More open face... how times & perception has changed. Oh the Sumo was the most worst sound, made the L4V sound like a pretty young Opera star

OP the Epic Flash SZ has a sliding weight that you can tune. I haven't got mine yet but imho, I think this edition of Sub Zero is the most functional driver with the forward weight & a sliding weight at back to adjust swing weight, flight & spin. You could go bat s*** crazy with the combo. This is the driver I have been waiting for from Callaway with the legit JailBreak. Rogue SZ was close but it was hard to turn over (fade city) so I went back to the Epic GBB with my weight slider,, set for high draw. EFSZ should knock this out...

I just moved my L4V-X to a different corner of my closet earlier today......I can't think of anything I ever hit better....I used to like the sound because it annoyed my opponents.

Like both

But prefer the look and feel of the F9

I’m also bias as I have a cobra driver now

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

in regards to your Cobra concerns.

from my experience with all manufacturers. Cobra has always had great customer service and has come through whenever I needed them

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Like the Flash SZ pretty much, the sliding weight is a game changer!

With the right shaft it’s not too low spin...

One question: per inch which i cut off my driver or wood shaft I have to add 8g of lead tape? Is that right?

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Rick Shiels says the Cobra F9 is the driver to beat in 2019

Yes. Shiels has a great YouTube video on the F9. Longer than anything he's ever hit, great sound at impact and on and on.

I'm definitely going to try it. Just a matter of which shaft for me.

that´s not correct... he hit the epic flash SZ longer than the F9.

but F9 definetly a good driver!

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Ali Taylor recently did a ball speed comparison comparison between G410, Epic Flash SZ, M5, and F9. F9 beat the others by 1-2.5 mph.

The TXG guys were seeing the highest speeds from F9; they seemed pretty amazed by it and mention it along with the mizuno as one of the top drivers.

I really like stuff from the txg guys. They seem really thorough. As with anything, though, everybody is going to find something different and some of these tests are done with different shafts, lofts, etc, but they can provide a baseline.

The g410 is getting great reviews as well. The TS3 is really good as well- per reviews. I like TM drivers, but have been underwhelmed by them. I will also say that the F9 sounds and feels light years better than the epic flash series... It's not close, imo. I haven't hit them enough to discern much other than sound and feel. However, the price point of the cobra, in addition to their no upcharge shaft selection, over the M5/M6, Epic Flash, G410, etc... should make it a huge winner and success this year. I'm glad Cobra is having some success this year. I've always liked them and they make really good stuff. To be honest though, at the beginning I was least excited by the f9 of all the drivers this year. Now, if I purchase a driver this year, it's most likely going to be the one.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

I don't think I could play the Flash if it we're free and gave me 20 yards. That thing is so ugly!

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry