2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PING 400 irons vs G410

kulreign50

Anyone out there going to make this switch ? I have been looking for any head to head comparisons but it may be a bit early. The G410’s give me a mix of G20&I25 combo in the looks department. I like the color scheme of the G400’s and had a wonderful last season with them, but as always I get the itch when my favorite company releases new products. My G400 sft driver tho is staying put.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My G400 irons aren't going anywhere. They're fantastic for me. They look much smaller at address than all previous G series irons and performance is tops for me. The G410 is just a tweak IMO.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Hit the 410s yesterday. Great sticks! A bit smaller, less offset and feel softer(almost 210 soft). Easy to hit/launch! Bang for your buck, going to be hard to beat this yr.?! ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Idk I think there probably isn't much of an upgrade compared to the G400

I think it's pretty much the same as when I bought G irons and then G400 irons came out a couple weeks later. I hit them and nothing warranted another expensive change as they felt almost exactly the same and is 3-4 yards really going to make a difference in irons?

Hit the 410s yesterday. Great sticks! A bit smaller, less offset and feel softer(almost 210 soft). Easy to hit/launch! Bang for your buck, going to be hard to beat this yr.?! ;)

Auditioning drivers always
Taylormade Aeroburner TP HL 3 wood
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 3 hybrid set at 20*
mizuno Fli Hi hybrid 5&6 irons
Mizuno JPX EZ 7-gw
Original Vokey Spin Milled 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Square Back Select

Easier than Steelhead XR Pro??

Have had all Ping G models except G Series and 400.....looking again!!!!

Auditioning drivers always
Taylormade Aeroburner TP HL 3 wood
Nike Covert 2.0 Tour 3 hybrid set at 20*
mizuno Fli Hi hybrid 5&6 irons
Mizuno JPX EZ 7-gw
Original Vokey Spin Milled 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Square Back Select

I am keeping my G400 until the "G420?" come out in 2 years.

When the big overhaul comes I will look. This seems to be a tweak.

If it works, why change?

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

Although the 410 looks better I cant see why anyone will change irons, I can understand if it s a different OEM but there is going to be no difference not even sure there is any difference between this and G30.

When you place a G400 iron next to a G30, you see the G400 is visibly smaller in topline. It looks like a players iron more so than the G30. Performance-wise, there probably isn't much diff. Here's the real rub. PING still sells the G400 irons at a discount and the G410 is a VERY minor tweak.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Every new G model has been a "tweak" of the previous, but in the full lifeline the 410 seems more of a step function compared to most other new releases; Less offset and smaller size are significant, even if it's just 10%. The sound is what I'm interested in, and hope the claim of less clickyness is true.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Easier than Steelhead XR Pro??

Have had all Ping G models except G Series and 400.....looking again!!!!

Yep, and was hitting the AWT, which there are easier shafts in the line easier again than those. ;)

Look and feel great!

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I am keeping my G400 until the "G420?" come out in 2 years.

When the big overhaul comes I will look. This seems to be a tweak.

If it works, why change?

G425. They trademarked the name already.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

I did, since I wanted to change the driver and wedges setup, I have invested a bit more and sold all my G400 setup to a friend.

The only worry I have is if G410 irons will spin less than G400. I will know in 2/3 weeks time though

That’s a bold move. I have been a huge fan of the Driver and the 400 irons , although the look of the G410’s are growing on me. I have yet to hit them myself, post up your thoughts when they do arrive.

I did, since I wanted to change the driver and wedges setup, I have invested a bit more and sold all my G400 setup to a friend.

The only worry I have is if G410 irons will spin less than G400. I will know in 2/3 weeks time though

That’s a bold move. I have been a huge fan of the Driver and the 400 irons , although the look of the G410’s are growing on me. I have yet to hit them myself, post up your thoughts when they do arrive.

SFT in driver and 3W, plus the wedges required action, especially to calm my thoughts.

In any case, my game is developing and sure I can adapt to different settings. Plus I completely trust Ping.

Sure it is the right move.

Having said that, I just hope they don’t spin less

Every new G model has been a "tweak" of the previous, but in the full lifeline the 410 seems more of a step function compared to most other new releases; Less offset and smaller size are significant, even if it's just 10%. The sound is what I'm interested in, and hope the claim of less clickyness is true.

I found the G25 irons to be a large step/change from the humongous G20 irons. G25 topline, sole width and offset all reduced a lot (14% offset reduction). The G30 was a small tweak on the G25, and then the G was a tweak, then the G400 was a nice reduction in size from the G. The G410 is just a tweak off the 400 to me......specs and pics.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

As soon as the P790’s I have on BST sell I’m moving from my G30’s to either G400 or G410. I really like the look of the G410 and if I believe the claims it will perform better than the G400. I’m not sure I’d upgrade if I currently had G400’s but since I’m moving from G30’s it may be smart. The only reservation I have is “minty” G400’s can be found at pretty good prices now.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I’m swapping, numbers similar more to do with moving to graphite to try and mitigate the tennis elbow. Gone from AWT reg to Alta Reg. On the monitor gained a few yards and a bit of spin. It won’t transform my scoring but I loved the feel of the graphite / 410 combo.

G400 excellent sticks though though the G410 looks a bit more “serious” at address.

I’m sticking with the G400 hybrids and woods and driver though. They all have the Alta reg shaft to match and which performs well, apart from the G Max which I play with a Tour 75 stiff as the Alta spun at over 4500....defies logic but works even with my 90 mph driver swing speed !!!

I found the G25 irons to be a large step/change from the humongous G20 irons. G25 topline, sole width and offset all reduced a lot (14% offset reduction). The G30 was a small tweak on the G25, and then the G was a tweak, then the G400 was a nice reduction in size from the G. The G410 is just a tweak off the 400 to me......specs and pics.

Well, I agree that the G has evolved over the years and there hasn't been many revolutionary changes. Can't say I've ever seen any change in blade length over the years though, and offset changes are just now and then (like with the G25 as you noted).

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Well, I agree that the G has evolved over the years and there hasn't been many revolutionary changes. Can't say I've ever seen any change in blade length over the years though, and offset changes are just now and then (like with the G25 as you noted).

I've always been a fan of the offset. I got so used to it playing Eye 2s and ZINGs and then G10s for years. My G400 irons have the lowest offset of all my previous models. I fear the trend a bit, although I did get used to the G400 quickly.

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Found one video for everyone comparing the 2

I saw it and that's where I started thinking about it, but if you notice he doesn't look to have a repeatable swing. I have also compared the guys that reviewed the two irons when they released them.

No response yet

I like the shorter blade length of the G410. But not sure sure I want the less offset.

His swing and the ball flight of his shots seemed fine for the likely buyer of these clubs. In all honesty, most golfers except low single digit players or better don't have a repeatable swing. I currently play to a 9, which means I can hit some perfect shots and I can also hit some horrible shots. I.e. my swing is not highly repeatable, and that is one of the reasons why I like Ping G series irons.

If you are worried about the spin rate data he posted, not sure it means a lot without knowing where he contacted the ball (the same will be true for anyone that buys these clubs and doesn't flush it the vast majority of the time).

I've always been a fan of the offset. I got so used to it playing Eye 2s and ZINGs and then G10s for years. My G400 irons have the lowest offset of all my previous models. I fear the trend a bit, although I did get used to the G400 quickly.

I'm also a fan of the offset, and fear the trend (I think when you adjust for lofts the change is even higher).

I do think the G410s are the biggest change in the line since the G25s. To me, the G30s were virtually unchanged except for some better loft gaps in the middle irons. The G400s probably look a little better, but on the course I feel like they perform the same as the G25s (adjusting for any difference in lofts).

I'm also a fan of the offset, and fear the trend (I think when you adjust for lofts the change is even higher).

I do think the G410s are the biggest change in the line since the G25s. To me, the G30s were virtually unchanged except for some better loft gaps in the middle irons. The G400s probably look a little better, but on the course I feel like they perform the same as the G25s (adjusting for any difference in lofts).

None of us who play a G series iron NEED new clubs. The only reason we are trying to justify it is because we WANT new clubs. That being said; sometimes I just want shiney new things.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Found one video for everyone comparing the 2

I saw it and that's where I started thinking about it, but if you notice he doesn't look to have a repeatable swing. I have also compared the guys that reviewed the two irons when they released them.

No response yet

I like the shorter blade length of the G410. But not sure sure I want the less offset.

His swing and the ball flight of his shots seemed fine for the likely buyer of these clubs. In all honesty, most golfers except low single digit players or better don't have a repeatable swing. I currently play to a 9, which means I can hit some perfect shots and I can also hit some horrible shots. I.e. my swing is not highly repeatable, and that is one of the reasons why I like Ping G series irons.

If you are worried about the spin rate data he posted, not sure it means a lot without knowing where he contacted the ball (the same will be true for anyone that buys these clubs and doesn't flush it the vast majority of the time).

Exactly this.

We are saying the same thing

So looking at the video is similar to what I saw when demoing. Lower spin a bit higher flight and therefore a bit longer. But why give up the spin? It helps you be more consistent in the irons and the g410s are a good set but I felt like you had to have better strikes with them compared to the g400s in terms of performance. That is probably due to the changes but when I got fitted I hit next to the i210s and honestly the difference in forgiveness is not as big as one would think (a bad shot was still a bad shot) but the feel and consistency on good strikes was a huge i210 advantage (1-2 yard dispersion in distance and 2-300 in spin). I would hit all 3 before buying the 410s as it really depends on what you are looking for. I value consistency and spin more than distance right now but the best part is Ping has an iron for that fits almost all game styles now. Great looking irons and in person they look even better than photos.

None of us who play a G series iron NEED new clubs. The only reason we are trying to justify it is because we WANT new clubs. That being said; sometimes I just want shiney new things.

Absolutely! I buy new clubs usually because I just WANT them. I don't try and convince myself that they are better or will help my game. I can drag my Eye 2 irons out and play my best with them. I bought my G400 irons mostly to make the switch to graphite.......and they look really shiny and new.?

• The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Absolutely! I buy new clubs usually because I just WANT them. I don't try and convince myself that they are better or will help my game. I can drag my Eye 2 irons out and play my best with them.

Agree 100%.

I don’t expect they will be better, just same performance in a nice compact shape. I’ll do the rest