2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Arcadia Bluffs - Michigan Golf

I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.

Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.

For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).

Not to get off track. But Kiawah's winter deal 2 rounds, and hotel for $300 is the best deal in America.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played there twice a year, every year since I moved to the state in about a decade ago. The greens can be fast and challenging, but I would never call them unfair. I think you can get yourself in some bad spots that might make you frustrated, but thats about the prior shot in my opinion. Number 6, 9, and 10 all come to mind with putting yourself on the wrong side of a flag.

Now, if you just go to the short game area and look at that green, you will think somebody lost their mind, but I find the course to be nothing but fair.

For what its worth, I would call their shoulder season rates the best deal in America, even with the 2019 rate going up to $100 (was $75 just a few years back).

Not to get off track. But Kiawah's winter deal 2 rounds, and hotel for $300 is the best deal in America.

Is that active now? Im having a hard time finding it. I've played Kiawah in October and the only reason I dont go back is because I can play Arcadia 4 times for the same price. But if you have found Ocean Course for $300 including accommodations, you sir have won the game.

Is that active now? Im having a hard time finding it. I've played Kiawah in October and the only reason I dont go back is because I can play Arcadia 4 times for the same price. But if you have found Ocean Course for $300 including accommodations, you sir have won the game.

https://kiawahresort.com/packages/golf/golf-or-gourmet-escape/

Expires in late February. Tee time alone is $280. So one hell of deal!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

https://kiawahresort...gourmet-escape/

Expires in late February. Tee time alone is $280. So one hell of deal!

Now I've got to convince my wife to go on an unexpected trip to South Carolina. If she gets mad, can I blame you?

• Arcadia Bluffs is one of the best courses in the country and should not be missed. The views and overall quality of service are 5 stars and the course is playable as long as you play the correct set of tees. Dont miss Arcadia Bluffs and make sure you play the South course as well....its amazing

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

• Arcadia Bluffs is one of the best courses in the country and should not be missed. The views and overall quality of service are 5 stars and the course is playable as long as you play the correct set of tees. Dont miss Arcadia Bluffs and make sure you play the South course as well....its amazing

Couldn't agree more. We played it in September on a 70* sunny calm day. What a treat, one that rivals anywhere in the world. The views were spectacular!

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

The first time I played Arcadia I felt the same way as Kevin did. I felt the greens were too hopped up. I think they throw you off at first and they get in your head causing you to lose focus on the rest of the round worrying about putting. The second time I played it I knew what I had to do and I really enjoyed the round a lot more.

I felt exactly the same way about Shepherds Hollow after my first time playing it. I have since played it a dozen times and I really enjoy the course now. From my experience I tend to " really " like a course when you play well versus a course you play poorly at.

Arcadia is absolutely beautiful, A must play for anyone. You may just may have to give it a second or third chance to really appreciate what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot disagree more with the OP. We played Arcadia during a camping trip in the Manistee National Forest. We rolled up on a Wednesday at 12pm in our beat up truck with our golf apparel on. The bag boys greeted us just like we owned the place. Staff was inviting and friendly even though I'm sure we smelled like a campfire. This property is A1, no doubt about it. The course is in immaculate shape and the greens were tough, but undoubtedly fair. It was a true pleasure and it still ranks as my most favorite course I've ever played. Even had a guy playing bag pipes as we made our way up the 18th. It was a 5 hour round, which I don't mind. Also, for those who do these things there is no coolers allowed on the course and absolutely no music either.

it's a very nice course with great views ... the price wasn't over the top for a course of that nature - good shape, somewhat interesting layout and great views ... that said, i don't have a desire to go back there again after playing it this summer ... i'd go back to greywalls in a heartbeat, though ...

it's a very nice course with great views ... the price wasn't over the top for a course of that nature - good shape, somewhat interesting layout and great views ... that said, i don't have a desire to go back there again after playing it this summer ... i'd go back to greywalls in a heartbeat, though ...

enjoyed greywalls this past summer,but would much rather play Arcadia. especially now with the new south course,which I had the pleasure to play last sept.makes Arcadia more attractive imo.

enjoyed greywalls this past summer,but would much rather play Arcadia. especially now with the new south course,which I had the pleasure to play last sept.makes Arcadia more attractive imo.

Greywalls is fine, but there is no comparison. Arcadia and Forest Dunes are in a whole different category.

Played Aracdia and FD on same trip. Both are excellent but very different, I liked FD better overall.

Forest Dunes and the new course there The Loop are outstanding and the facilities are great as well. Very underrated courses because they are out in the middle of no where. I play there once a year and love the trip except for the gnats that consume you at certain points on the year.

Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.

Arcadia Bluffs is a beautiful piece of property. I for one do not like the lay of the course. I've played it twice and that is enough for me. I'm sure, I'd go back if I was invited but I will not make my own plans to play there. Also looks like I have to convince my wife to go to South Carolina next month lol.

I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.

I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too it as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.

Least favorite take in golf... The ocean/lake/rivers/mountains etc are part of the course! Of course if you take away a key part of the design the course is downgraded. You can say that about literally every course that hugs a coast, but that is a huge reason why they are built where they are built.

Also, which holes at pebble are average? Assuming you are going to say 11,12 14-16.. Have you played there? 15 and 16 were 2 of my favorite holes and they aren't on the water.

I agree its an excellent piece of property. I also think the routing / holes are "decent" but they are not great. You realize quickly while playing it they did a lot of the routing to specifically to enhance the views of the lake vs the actual hole design. * I get why too it as it is very scenic course. I considered it like Pebble so to speak, average golf holes but amazing views. Take away the Lake or Ocean at either course and personally I think the rating drops.

Least favorite take in golf... The ocean/lake/rivers/mountains etc are part of the course! Of course if you take away a key part of the design the course is downgraded. You can say that about literally every course that hugs a coast, but that is a huge reason why they are built where they are built.

Also, which holes at pebble are average? Assuming you are going to say 11,12 14-16.. Have you played there? 15 and 16 were 2 of my favorite holes and they aren't on the water.

I played Pebble years ago. I only remember a couple of holes, and would agree 15-16 and I liked 18. Yes like most I would agree with the ones you list and a few others personally. The rest don't "stand out" to me as anything special, good but I think hype/history plays a lot into it.

I am also a person who will tell you I think No.2 is a great course but not spectacular. Played it last summer. The history adds to it for sure. Never played the Old course but many say its just and "average" course overall but the history makes it. *Hope to find out one day though.....

Don't get me wrong every course has average holes, just how many is the what make a good course great. I am more a "course" player Vs associated view honestly. If my world we would all be playing Sand Hills. Nothing around for 50 miles but an amazing course =)

Edit: Which would be awesome in my world but that is what makes golf great, so many different things to like that others may not.

I played Pebble years ago. I only remember a couple of holes, and would agree 15-16 and I liked 18. Yes like most I would agree with the ones you list and a few others personally. The rest don't "stand out" to me as anything special, good but I think hype/history plays a lot into it.

I am also a person who will tell you I think No.2 is a great course but not spectacular. Played it last summer. The history adds to it for sure. Never played the Old course but many say its just and "average" course overall but the history makes it. *Hope to find out one day though.....

Don't get me wrong every course has average holes, just how many is the what make a good course great. I am more a "course" player Vs associated view honestly. If my world we would all be playing Sand Hills. Nothing around for 50 miles but an amazing course =)

Edit: Which would be awesome in my world but that is what makes golf great, so many different things to like that others may not.

I also love courses like that. Have never played Sand Hills though. But Streamsong, Bandon, the handful in Nebraska etc. I love being away from everything and focusing on golf..

That being said, I could make the same argument you made. If you built a city around Sand Hills and there were streets going around it and you could hear trains and buses it would take away from that course.. That is why I don't love the take away water argument. It can be said about so many courses, but those features, whether it be a remote location, or lake michigan, ARE part of the course.

I also love courses like that. Have never played Sand Hills though. But Streamsong, Bandon, the handful in Nebraska etc. I love being away from everything and focusing on golf..

That being said, I could make the same argument you made. If you built a city around Sand Hills and there were streets going around it and you could hear trains and buses it would take away from that course.. That is why I don't love the take away water argument. It can be said about so many courses, but those features, whether it be a remote location, or lake michigan, ARE part of the course.

110% true, but being lucky enough to have played Sand Hills once you could put a freeway over the top of it and it would still rock =)

*Okay probably not but as you noted, its out in nowhere and its a sureal experience...!!