The most important thing that determines score

Majority of teens can drive far but are in the woods few times a round and that brings big numbers to kill their chance to win.

Driving long does not always mean driving straight and than hitting GIR.

Throwing clubs is another important stat in JV and varsity games and mental game is an important factor. Distance advantage gets diluted as kids get older, unless you are freakish long ....

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No....it's driving distance. And it's not close. Driving distance correlates to the other factors so substantially that you can't ignore it. It's easier to hit a GIR from 130 in the rough than 170 in fairway. Proximity is better from 130 than 170 which means total putts and putts per GIR are better. This is not a matter of opinion. The biggest difference between elite and good players—at any level—is driving distance. There are outlying exceptions to every rule but there's a reason it's the rule

One thing I noticed in golf in general is a lot people want to ignore the fact that placement off the tee is what drives a persons score. A bad drive that is either too short or wayward will kill a score faster then anything out there. Also the longer you are the harder it is to hit the ball strait or control the roll the ball.

At the younger ages I also see a lot parents who buy OEM drivers have kids with good technique doing 150-180 which is great but it's different level for a boy to go 300 and a girl to go 250 plus yards. At 12 or 13 I believe you start to see the kids with faster club head speed.

No....it's driving distance. And it's not close. Driving distance correlates to the other factors so substantially that you can't ignore it. It's easier to hit a GIR from 130 in the rough than 170 in fairway. Proximity is better from 130 than 170 which means total putts and putts per GIR are better. This is not a matter of opinion. The biggest difference between elite and good players—at any level—is driving distance. There are outlying exceptions to every rule but there's a reason it's the rule

One thing I noticed in golf in general is a lot people want to ignore the fact that placement off the tee is what drives a persons score. A bad drive that is either too short or wayward will kill a score faster then anything out there. Also the longer you are the harder it is to hit the ball strait or control the roll the ball.

At the younger ages I also see a lot parents who buy OEM drivers have kids with good technique doing 150-180 which is great but it's different level for a boy to go 300 and a girl to go 250 plus yards. At 12 or 13 I believe you start to see the kids with faster club head speed.

I agree with this, but being able to hit it 300/250yds is not something you can just "work on" to improve - you either have the God-given potential to do so or you don't.

That is why you practice. Kid played 9 holes last week and shot a -4 with a lost ball in a water hazard. It takes skill to put an iron on the green, it takes confidence to drain the 15 footer for par when you need it.

Golf is a game of misses. How you manage those misses will tell if you can score or not.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

That is why you practice. Kid played 9 holes last week and shot a -4 with a lost ball in a water hazard. It takes skill to put an iron on the green, it takes confidence to drain the 15 footer for par when you need it.

Golf is a game of misses. How you manage those misses will tell if you can score or not.

Couldn't agree with you more on this. I am probably talking more about girls then boys because a lot times I see girls never workout or do anything to gain clubhead speed. I've seen a lot parents who think there kid is going far with a 60 mph swing. While I bet there is a good chance to win your local club championship against women they need more speed to compete on a national level.

Lots and lot girls out there swing 90-95mph plus easily on a national level.

Couldn't agree with you more on this. I am probably talking more about girls then boys because a lot times I see girls never workout or do anything to gain clubhead speed. I've seen a lot parents who think there kid is going far with a 60 mph swing. While I bet there is a good chance to win your local club championship against women they need more speed to compete on a national level.

Lucy Li and Alexa Pano are not long and they do just fine competing on a National Level.

Looking at the DCP this year the top 3 girls in driving aren't incredibly long either and are all ranked very high. The longest was Jami Morris at 220. Schuster and Ganne were at 219. Those swing speeds are right at 90.

Lucy Li and Alexa Pano are not long and they do just fine competing on a National Level.

Looking at the DCP this year the top 3 girls in driving aren't incredibly long either and are all ranked very high. The longest was Jami Morris at 220. Schuster and Ganne were at 219. Those swing speeds are right at 90.

Alexa Pano and Lucy Li I would still say are long compared to the average girl the same age. Maybe long not on a national level with other girls who are also much much longer than most women will ever be They also hit it far enough to play at the levels they are playing. Most girls would love to be able hit as far them at any age.

I've seen Alexa Pano practice and yes she is not what I would call long for an elite player. I personally think they both will need more yardage if there going to compete in the LPGA on a higher level. Don't get me wrong they have enough yards now to probably play on the LPGA but from what I can see they will struggle compared to the leaders based on far they hit the ball.

Alexa Pano and Lucy Li I would still say are long compared to the average girl the same age. Maybe long not on a national level with other girls who are also much much longer than most women will ever be They also hit it far enough to play at the levels they are playing. Most girls would love to be able hit as far them at any age.

I've seen Alexa Pano practice and yes she is not what I would call long for an elite player. I personally think they both will need more yardage if there going to compete in the LPGA on a higher level. Don't get me wrong they have enough yards now to probably play on the LPGA but from what I can see they will struggle compared to the leaders based on far they hit the ball.

Did you know that the average driving distance on the LPGA is 218 yards? Mean Driving distance is 255 yards.

Did you know that the average driving distance on the LPGA is 218 yards? Mean Driving distance is 255 yards.

Yes but the women who win drive more then that. Last time I went to LPGA event anyone driving less then 250 carry was way behind the leaders.

Yes but the women who win drive more then that. Last time I went to LPGA event anyone driving less then 250 carry was way behind the leaders.

Just real quickly. Looking at the top 6 finishers at recent lpga tour event. Nelly Korda who leads the LPGA with average driving distance at 271 is the only girl who bombs it. The winner and others 5 are all about 250 in average driving distance (ranking about 22nd on the LPGA Tour).

Aren't "average" and "mean" the same thing?

Just real quickly. Looking at the top 6 finishers at recent lpga tour event. Nelly Korda who leads the LPGA with average driving distance at 271 is the only girl who bombs it. The winner and others 5 are all about 250 in average driving distance (ranking about 22nd on the LPGA Tour).

I would say Lexi puts it out there a good bit as well.

I would say Lexi puts it out there a good bit as well.

Yup shes 2nd in avg driving distance and finished 10th in the tournament.

Took it from this. Think they meant median.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1335156-so-whats-the-truth-about-lpga-driving-distance/

Was listening to the new branded chambelee podcast. He thinks what separates the elite players is iron play. I assume he means shots gained approach.

Also - season average driving distance is misleading. Looked at driving distance of the leaderboard for this past farmer’s tourney and it’s clear that distance off the tee on a round-to-round basis has a huge correlation to leaderboard position (there were some shorter hitters that did have good GIR% but overall, there seems to be a correlation between GIR% and distance off the tee).

For juniors - I’m going to revise my order of importance. I think it’s driving distance, ball striking on approach shots, short game, putting (in that order). I don’t think juniors have the power to spray tee shots to the point it really affects their score over a multi-day tourney. Putting gains from best to worst once you get to a certain level of junior play becomes minimal in my opinion.

http://www.golfwrx.c...iving-distance/

I officiate a number of amateur, college, and junior Women's event yearly.

Last summer, I saw Li driving it 250 at Country Club of Tennessee, long enough for success.. 2 weeks ago, at the South Atlantic Amateur I saw Pano hit a 490 yard par 5 over water with a hybrid. Could be wrong, but the 4-5 holes I saw her, she looked very long, 260-270.

In other words, both have the distance needed. All depends on how accurate you are from fairway, no matter what club you are holding in your hands.

http://www.golfwrx.c...iving-distance/

I officiate a number of amateur, college, and junior Women's event yearly.

Last summer, I saw Li driving it 250 at Country Club of Tennessee, long enough for success.. 2 weeks ago, at the South Atlantic Amateur I saw Pano hit a 490 yard par 5 over water with a hybrid. Could be wrong, but the 4-5 holes I saw her, she looked very long, 260-270.

In other words, both have the distance needed. All depends on how accurate you are from fairway, no matter what club you are holding in your hands.

Pano is middle of the pack on the LPGA in distance.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Was listening to the new branded chambelee podcast. He thinks what separates the elite players is iron play. I assume he means shots gained approach.

Also - season average driving distance is misleading. Looked at driving distance of the leaderboard for this past farmer's tourney and it's clear that distance off the tee on a round-to-round basis has a huge correlation to leaderboard position (there were some shorter hitters that did have good GIR% but overall, there seems to be a correlation between GIR% and distance off the tee).

For juniors - I'm going to revise my order of importance. I think it's driving distance, ball striking on approach shots, short game, putting (in that order). I don't think juniors have the power to spray tee shots to the point it really affects their score over a multi-day tourney. Putting gains from best to worst once you get to a certain level of junior play becomes minimal in my opinion.

Depends on the level of junior golf and what age. My daughter drives it great for her age, hit enough GIR, but putts like crap thus scores like crap. I put more weight in putting than any other part at most level of junior or kdis golf.

being long off the tee can make the game a lot easier but you have to have other parts to make it all come together. Who cares if you drive green if you 4 putt.

Also - season average driving distance is misleading. Looked at driving distance of the leaderboard for this past farmer's tourney and it's clear that distance off the tee on a round-to-round basis has a huge correlation to leaderboard position (there were some shorter hitters that did have good GIR% but overall, there seems to be a correlation between GIR% and distance off the tee).

For juniors - I'm going to revise my order of importance. I think it's driving distance, ball striking on approach shots, short game, putting (in that order). I don't think juniors have the power to spray tee shots to the point it really affects their score over a multi-day tourney. Putting gains from best to worst once you get to a certain level of junior play becomes minimal in my opinion.

Depends on the level of junior golf and what age. My daughter drives it great for her age, hit enough GIR, but putts like crap thus scores like crap. I put more weight in putting than any other part at most level of junior or kdis golf.

being long off the tee can make the game a lot easier but you have to have other parts to make it all come together. Who cares if you drive green if you 4 putt.

But most players that are long off the tee have a high level of golf competence.

And in case any of you missed it read on...

http://www.golfwrx.c...tm_content=main

Video:

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

The younger they are the easier it for them to hit the driver far enough. Let's take girls under 10 most them them can hit over 150 yards just on technique. At this age any kid who practices enough and buys the correct equipment can and will drive far enough.

The difference at this age is putting. Once they get older things change. From what I can tell 11-12 is where this start to see a big difference with girls. Some kids just hit the ball much faster than others. I would say this is a big reason you see another drop off in juniors at around 13-14 because some simply can't drive the ball.

Until you can hit you irons enough to stop on the green. There is big difference in play once a kid can actually drive far. For instance can they hit a hybrid off the tee to avoid trouble then use a 5 iron to the green and have the ball stop. You have have a certain amount of power for that to happen.

You also have to learn to control that power. Kids that 11-12 (or least girls ) you start to see ones who are lot more powerful than others. Some kids in this age group still do well at these younger but they don't have the power and quite frankly I don't think they ever will. It pretty obvious when you see it.

The 218 number is carry. LPGA average is around 247 yards total. There are less than 10 girls out there who consistently fly the ball 250 yards.

Distance is important up to a point but there is a point of diminishing returns. The ability to hit a lot of greens is huge. Mechanics play a part but so does a players decision making and awareness level. My top juniors average 75% GIR or more. It not only makes scoring low possible/probable it also massively decreases the possibility of shooting high scores