Martial Arts In A Real Street Fight

Tailgater

Sorry, but it’s a trip reading most the opinions on here from people that have little to no knowledge of what they’re talking about. I’ve taught and trained various forms of martial arts for over 30 years with some of the top instructors in the world and still run a school today.

There are so many variables that come into play during a “street” fight that it’s not cut n’ dry but to say that someone who has no training would somehow have an advantage or at least a fair fight against someone well trained is just foolish. It’s no different than taking someone who’s never golfed and expecting them to beat a scratch golfer.

Brazilian Jujitsu is great but limited in its practice. Any form of Danzan Ryu will give you a more well-rounded experience especially when it comes to striking, which according to many on here isn’t important in a fight??‍♂️. You also get all the ground work that BJJ took from the Japanese systems. That being said, the most effective system for striking and weapons defense is Filipino systems of Eskrima, Kadena de Mano, Larga Mano etc... What will make you the best practitioner is the ability to take multiple arts and be able to blend them. The art I teach is essentially a fusion of many forms.

I aplologize if it seems like I’m lecturing but it’s my livelihood and something I’m well versed in. I always enjoy discussing this with the “I watch UFC” or “my cousin’s friend has a black belt” crowd. Not trying to hate, just educate...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike is right above. I have been in around 9-10 good fights. Most I have won but a couple got the best of me. One I needed to run from and was drunk but after getting sucker punched I couldn’t walk let alone drive but jumped in my Jeep and ran!!! But I never had any real training other than what my Vietnam Vet father taught me. Plus playing sports and knowing how to punch from always punching things. My old man was trained in forms of Judo, JujiI and Karate but was meant for hand to hand combat in the jungle against an enemy who knew these as well but much smaller people. But what helped me the most was my rage because once my switch is flipped you will need to knock me out or my Adrenalin stops. I have fainted after fights from all the sugar I burned.

Remember when UFC was all about brawls most were Black Belt type Karate experts. I wouldn’t fight any BB or trained fighter and most of those guys who have training don’t pick fights.

I also grew up with some tough buds who faught in UFC sanction fights. One was a Div 1 wrestler and the other was just a brawler. Two completely different weight classes but personally saw them fight a few times. These weren’t guys looking for fights either. Instead fights seem to always find them, or me.

Anyways anything organized for a child is awesome. I would bet your child who knows Karate would Smoke any other kid who doesn’t. But when there is a size/strengt difference it might not matter just as. Bladehunter deacribed.

Only way to know is to stop being sissies on her guessing and get out there and get into a fight. Otherwise get back to golf and stop acting tough or that you know something!

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

Most memorable to me is that many street fights happen in groups/packs and erupt quickly and are chaotic. Keep your feet, don't take down, and be aware of what is on all sides cause on the ground, you're a target for multiple people to start clobbering you.

Also, even one on one, it's often some aggressor who takes offense, that crazy person who without warning comes over and tries to pop you. In those cases, training is good so you are natural at slipping and countering in one move rather than just covering up.

Most memorable to me is that many street fights happen is groups and erupt quickly and are chaotic. Keep your feet, don't take down, and be aware of what is on all sides cause on the ground, you're a target for multiple people to start clobbering you.

Also, even one on one, it's often some aggressor who takes offense, that crazy person who without warning comes over and tries to pop you. In those cases, training is good so you are natural at slipping and countering in one move rather than just covering up.

Yes, very chaotic. Even guys who fight for a living, in group situations, things get messy. Just look at the Diaz brothers brawl against Mayhem Miller, or the Khabib camp vs Conor camp nonsense.

It's a crapshoot.

Bas Rutten was on Joe Rogan's podcast and was talking about fighting in general, and his biggest worry is that a lot of schools out there instill a completely false sense of confidence in people who go to the dojo a few times a week, but have no business actually fighting. The last thing you want to do is think you are going to be fine in a situation against a knife or a gun and decide to engage that person rather than trying to calm the situation down and walk away.

Most memorable to me is that many street fights happen is groups and erupt quickly and are chaotic. Keep your feet, don't take down, and be aware of what is on all sides cause on the ground, you're a target for multiple people to start clobbering you.

Yes, very chaotic. Even guys who fight for a living, in group situations, things get messy. Just look at the Diaz brothers brawl against Mayhem Miller, or the Khabib camp vs Conor camp nonsense.

It's a crapshoot.

Bas Rutten was on Joe Rogan's podcast and was talking about fighting in general, and his biggest worry is that a lot of schools out there instill a completely false sense of confidence in people who go to the dojo a few times a week, but have no business actually fighting. The last thing you want to do is think you are going to be fine in a situation against a knife or a gun and decide to engage that person rather than trying to calm the situation down and walk away.

What you say is true which is why you do your research before joining a school. For every good instructor there’s 50 jabroni’s out there that don’t have a clue what they’re doing. I taught knife and gun defense as well as dat training to law enforcement for years and if you don’t know what you’re doing you put lives at stake.

All things being equal, someone who has self defense or any type of combat training & live sparring is going to have an advantage over Joe Blow.

The obsession over "street fights" is silly. Just don't get in them. Avoid confrontation or being out at the bars too late.

Nothing good happens after 2:00 am.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

It's a crapshoot.

What you say is true which is why you do your research before joining a school. For every good instructor theres 50 jabronis out there that dont have a clue what theyre doing. I taught knife and gun defense as well as dat training to law enforcement for years and if you dont know what youre doing you put lives at stake.

I appreciate the proper contextual use of the word “jabroni”.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

All things being equal, someone who has self defense or any type of combat training & live sparring is going to have an advantage over Joe Blow.

The obsession over "street fights" is silly. Just don't get in them. Avoid confrontation or being out at the bars too late.

Agree , don't get why street fights are a badge of honor for some. It's 2019...we don't need to get into dumb street fights when there are other options, like online bullying them until they cry

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique