Dear Bushnell, Garmin and other Ranger Finder Makers...

Slope and location are already available on a GPS/laser.

"Elevation + Air Pressure + Temperature + Humidity = Calculated distance.".... Sorry but those variables are mainly worthless. There are too many other variables that make a "canned formula" worthless for "calculated distance." Wind speed, wind direction, ball trajectory, spin, ball type, ball temperature, fairway cut, rough length, fairway moisture, green cut, green moisture, slope of the landing area and probably many more variables have more impact than the other values you mentioned.

It might sound like a cool gadget but it's garbage in and garbage out.

My thoughts exactly. I've never used a range finder that includes slope, but I often wonder how useful it actually is. To correct just for slope, there has to be an assumption of what the trajectory of a shot is going to be for various distances. But, what if you don't have the shot trajectory they assume? How far off is the slope adjusted distance going to be from the shot that someone is hitting? I don't know, and maybe it is minor for slope, but when you add in all of the other factors it seems like there is pretty much no way to give a reliable adjusted distance for so many different factors simultaneously for all golfers.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slope and location are already available on a GPS/laser.

"Elevation + Air Pressure + Temperature + Humidity = Calculated distance.".... Sorry but those variables are mainly worthless. There are too many other variables that make a "canned formula" worthless for "calculated distance." Wind speed, wind direction, ball trajectory, spin, ball type, ball temperature, fairway cut, rough length, fairway moisture, green cut, green moisture, slope of the landing area and probably many more variables have more impact than the other values you mentioned.

It might sound like a cool gadget but it's garbage in and garbage out.

My thoughts exactly. I've never used a range finder that includes slope, but I often wonder how useful it actually is. To correct just for slope, there has to be an assumption of what the trajectory of a shot is going to be for various distances. But, what if you don't have the shot trajectory they assume? How far off is the slope adjusted distance going to be from the shot that someone is hitting? I don't know, and maybe it is minor for slope, but when you add in all of the other factors it seems like there is pretty much no way to give a reliable adjusted distance for so many different factors simultaneously for all golfers.

So I freely admit I could be wildly not understanding...but I use a slope laser. If I got to my approach shot and the laser said 168 to the pin, but with slope its playing like 154 then I know to pull an 8i and swing. If I were to go with the 168 reading and ignore the slope, Id fly the green with my 7i perhaps.

Now, I do take into acct where the flag actually is on the green. There are times I will take more or less club depending on that variable.

Guessing I am misunderstanding or not following your post so if you could explain to me Id appreciate. Thanks!

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I'm just not good enough to take advantage of the extra inputs and calculations it would provide. I have a hard time hitting my clubs the same distance 2 times in a row.

I have a GPS and a Laser. Two devices to tell me how far I'm not going to hit my shot. LOL

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

Funnily enough I don't pull my rangefinder all the time now

I see a sprinkler or the 150 post .... thoughts are as follows.

I'm 10 inside the 150 and the pin looks 5 or so back of centre ... 145 shot. Knock down a 9 iron .. away we go. This is the way I used to do it. Maybe it's 143 or 147 .. makes no difference to me. Now I will say this is MOSTLY at my home course

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm 10 inside the 150 and the pin looks 5 or so back of centre ... 145 shot. Knock down a 9 iron .. away we go. This is the way I used to do it. Maybe it's 143 or 147 .. makes no difference to me. Now I will say this is MOSTLY at my home course

I played a course where the 150 marker was 12 yards off on one hole and the 100 yard maker was off 10 yards on another and the 200 yard maker was off 15 yards on yet another.

I have a GPS (Garmin F6) and a Rangefinder (Bushnell V2) and on my home course and other courses I'm familiar with I just use the GPS 90% of the time. The laser comes in handy on courses I don't know, par 3s or when you're inside 90 wondering which wedge to pull.

In general the GPS is very accurate. I bought the laser because I used to have a piece of junk Skycaddie that was often off or didn't even have the course mapped.

It's a lot more discreet just glancing at the GPS than having to laser every flag.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

• 6 months later...

The variability of my swing exceeds the difference between actual distance and distance plus slope so overall it's good to know but has little impact on how many greens I hit.

With any distance measurement device, the value of a rangefinder or gps is based on the users ability to intentionally hit the ball the distance reported. In my experience (excluding skulled chip shots) guys are 1 - 2 clubs short on all approach shots 100 yards and out. I rarely see guys fly the green from 100+ yards. One course I play in Florida has 12 par 3's, I'd guess 10% of all shots I watch ever roll past the pin, most miss left, right or short of the green.

One guy in our group constantly asks whoever has a rangefinder to shoot his distances and consistently comes up short by at least 10 - 20 yards every time. We constantly remind him to club up but he refuses to acknowledge he doesn't hit it as far as he thinks he does.

As others have said there are too many variables to give a real distance and even if you could get a more exact number, you have to make the swing that puts it out there that exact distance.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The variability of my swing exceeds the difference between actual distance and distance plus slope so overall it's good to know but has little impact on how many greens I hit.

With any distance measurement device, the value of a rangefinder or gps is based on the users ability to intentionally hit the ball the distance reported. In my experience (excluding skulled chip shots) guys are 1 - 2 clubs short on all approach shots 100 yards and out. I rarely see guys fly the green from 100+ yards. One course I play in Florida has 12 par 3's, I'd guess 10% of all shots I watch ever roll past the pin, most miss left, right or short of the green.

One guy in our group constantly asks whoever has a rangefinder to shoot his distances and consistently comes up short by at least 10 - 20 yards every time. We constantly remind him to club up but he refuses to acknowledge he doesn't hit it as far as he thinks he does.

As others have said there are too many variables to give a real distance and even if you could get a more exact number, you have to make the swing that puts it out there that exact distance.

What are the handicaps of the people you play with. I play state competitions and I assure you that is not the case for players with an index of 3 or less.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

This is a pretty funny read actually...feel free to serve crow to your rather enthusiastic critics at the next golfwrx barbecue!

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

These devices aren’t meant to be exact science nor should they be. There needs to be some player input or I would classify them as cheating! I think they are more than accurate.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I am the same way at my home course. I have played it so much the last 20 years I do not usually even pull my range finder out on it.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

So I guess you must be able to set some baselines in it so it's calibrated relative to your own norms, right? As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, if you typically play at 4,500 feet and your average humidity is say 30%, your 150 yard club is what it is, you wouldn't want something to tell you to club down. In other words, you must be able to set the variables as they were when you determined your gapping, then it calculates relative to that?

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

There's are market for many things even if they don't make a difference. This is kind of like measuring wood to 4 decimal places. But as they say, a sucker is born every minute.

Personallly, I think it would absolutely make a difference if it works against a baseline measure. I play a lot of different places and my elevation can literally change by 5,000 feet from one round to another, let alone the temp changes that go along with it. Would be an education if nothing else, and I think no more "cheating" than playing the same course every day until you know each shot rote as others are describing.

Personally I think it's a cool and valuable concept for sure, it will be interesting to see if it plays out in execution.

Perhaps you need to contact DeChambaeu and make it happen.

I'm a firm believer that all you need is distance and if anything else slope, other than that I think the player should be able to determine those things for himself. It's an individual sport and you need to take some thought going into your shot to make the best possible outcome.

There's are market for many things even if they don't make a difference. This is kind of like measuring wood to 4 decimal places. But as they say, a sucker is born every minute.

Personallly, I think it would absolutely make a difference if it works against a baseline measure. I play a lot of different places and my elevation can literally change by 5,000 feet from one round to another, let alone the temp changes that go along with it. Would be an education if nothing else, and I think no more "cheating" than playing the same course every day until you know each shot rote as others are describing.

Personally I think it's a cool and valuable concept for sure, it will be interesting to see if it plays out in execution.

Maybe a cool idea, but not really necessary with a little simple math that only needs to be calculated once if you are playing significantly higher or lower than normal.

https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/b/tourblog/posts/the-effect-of-altitude-on-golf-ball-performance

• You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno.

I love threads like these. A guy offers up an idea and asks for input, then craps all over everyone who doesn't love his original idea. What makes this thread especially good is that the OP has done this twice on the same topic!

FWIW, I play in state and regional comps all the time. I've never heard anyone talk about the need for this. Zero. Zilch.

I love threads like these. A guy offers up an idea and asks for input, then craps all over everyone who doesn't love his original idea. What makes this thread especially good is that the OP has done this twice on the same topic!

FWIW, I play in state and regional comps all the time. I've never heard anyone talk about the need for this. Zero. Zilch.

And yet Bushnell has launched it. Seems someone must see the value in the idea.

Did you ACTUALLY READ my post. I stated that people at a 3 or less handicap can and do play to exact distances. I guess YOUR state events don’t have very good players then. And PS, I know you do but I don’t count Golf Channel Am Tour events as state events.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Did you ACTUALLY READ my post. I stated that people at a 3 or less handicap can and do play to exact distances. I guess YOUR state events don’t have very good players then. And PS, I know you do but I don’t count Golf Channel Am Tour events as state events.

Oh good one there golfhack! You sure showed me. Dayum I now know better than to disagree with you.