Taylormade Tour Issue 2016-2018 M Series Drivers....Trackman Comparison Data

TollBros

Found the one thing the m4 doesn't have over the 16 m2....off the deck

Off the deck, my 9.5 16 m2 was easy to hit. My 8.5 m4 is...a no go. Can't even elevate it.

With all due respect, that's what 3 woods are for. Haha.

Well, ya...but, 260-270, into the wind, I could bust that m2 and get there. It was also a really handy shot to play on par 4 holes that were 400-420 and into the wind. Line up down the left side and just bust it.

I think you just need a deep faced 3 wood like M6 Tour or M2 2016 deep face. Spin rates off the deck for me are only about 400 higher than my driver off the tee.

It's all good. My 3wood is plenty long enough. That off the deck driver shot doesn't come up that often. I can tee the par 4 shot up to 3wood height and hit the same shot.

My 3wood is called stenson. It isn't going anywhere..

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the one thing the m4 doesn't have over the 16 m2....off the deck

Off the deck, my 9.5 16 m2 was easy to hit. My 8.5 m4 is...a no go. Can't even elevate it.

With all due respect, that's what 3 woods are for. Haha.

Well, ya...but, 260-270, into the wind, I could bust that m2 and get there. It was also a really handy shot to play on par 4 holes that were 400-420 and into the wind. Line up down the left side and just bust it.

I think you just need a deep faced 3 wood like M6 Tour or M2 2016 deep face. Spin rates off the deck for me are only about 400 higher than my driver off the tee.

It's all good. My 3wood is plenty long enough. That off the deck driver shot doesn't come up that often. I can tee the par 4 shot up to 3wood height and hit the same shot.

My 3wood is called stenson. It isn't going anywhere..

Once you find a 3 wood you trust, even if it's replaced at some point, never sell it. I've made that blunder a couple of times only to severely regret it for year. It's why every wood head I play, I have at least 1-2 backups on hand in case anything was to happen to it.

I know most people use 460 heads for obvious reasons. For some reason, I get along better with 440 heads, whether it was the Titleist d4 driver from a few years back or recent offerings. Have you done any testing with the 2016 m1 430 vs 2017 m1 440 vs m3 440? I loathed the 2016 m1 430 and for some reason, the 2017 m1 440 was a much hotter face for me than the m3 440.

I know most people use 460 heads for obvious reasons. For some reason, I get along better with 440 heads, whether it was the Titleist d4 driver from a few years back or recent offerings. Have you done any testing with the 2016 m1 430 vs 2017 m1 440 vs m3 440? I loathed the 2016 m1 430 and for some reason, the 2017 m1 440 was a much hotter face for me than the m3 440.

Yes we test them all every year. I wanted to include them in this test but I could not locate a 2016 head with the specs I needed for valid comparison. Everything we had in house was just too far off the specs of the 17' and M5 heads and we didn't want to put up a baseless comparison.

Yes we test them all every year. I wanted to include them in this test but I could not locate a 2016 head with the specs I needed for valid comparison. Everything we had in house was just too far off the specs of the 17' and M5 heads and we didn't want to put up a baseless comparison.

Are you able to comment on what you thought of the smaller M5 head? Is the forgiveness loss enough for you to not consider it given your swing speed?

Are you able to comment on what you thought of the smaller M5 head? Is the forgiveness loss enough for you to not consider it given your swing speed?

The 460 head spins so little that I'd see no reason to go smaller this year.

That sounds fantastic!

That sounds fantastic!

As long as I can get launch and spin where I want them, I'll always go with the more forgiving head.

Toll, you sticking with your m2 or swapping out to a m5/m6?

I do not wish make a commitment on that just yet. haha. I've got to see what the M5 does on the course first, but there's a chance I may change over, and I'll explain why when I decide. I'll be in Arizona to visit friends for a 3 day weekend here in the next few weeks and I'm taking both along to get some serious course time with.

I do not wish make a commitment on that just yet. haha. I've got to see what the M5 does on the course first, but there's a chance I may change over, and I'll explain why when I decide. I'll be in Arizona to visit friends for a 3 day weekend here in the next few weeks and I'm taking both along to get some serious course time with.

That’s fair enough. I’m on the fence about it myself. The m4 has been amazing but the m5 really has my attention to try out. Are you guys going to have m5/6 tour heads like you did with m3/4? Oh and enjoy Arizona, here in VA al I can do is think about golf and not play. Ha

That’s fair enough. I’m on the fence about it myself. The m4 has been amazing but the m5 really has my attention to try out. Are you guys going to have m5/6 tour heads like you did with m3/4? Oh and enjoy Arizona, here in VA al I can do is think about golf and not play. Ha

Well I'm stuck here in snow at the moment and can't wait to get back to the warm weather. To answer your question, yes in about 4-5 weeks we will have a nice stock of M5 and M6 Tour issue product. I'll be doing a related data thread along with the arrival of that product.

For anyone who doesn't think Twist Face works.

Would be nice to see the analysis for complete TaylorMade Stuff Team. Not only for few and sherry picking.

Umm...with the exception of Tiger Woods, that IS the entire TaylorMade staff team for 2018.

I agree. I thought I saw that tigers driving improved too. I don’t think it was a larger percentage like Day but it went up.

Taylormade Driver Staff has improved by +0,7% Driving Accuarcy from 2017 to 2018.

But, Tour Average has improved by +1,0% ?!

So, less improvement with Twist Face...

The players that keep their card changes every single year. It's not as if the same players play out there every year. All I'm concerned with are the details of players who hit the ball similar distances that I do, which are the players in the graph. It's very easy to hit fairways at 260 carry, not so easy at 300 carry and certainly twist face helped the whole top end of the staff by a pretty large margin.

I've heard different things about the twist face, Toll. One of my gamers is a 2016 tour issue M2. My miss is toward the toe...I don't mean 1/8" where I might lose 5-10 yards. I'm talking about where it says twist face lol (don't judge me). Will the twist face straighten that out a bit or make it even worse?

Taylormade Driver Staff has improved by +0,7% Driving Accuarcy from 2017 to 2018.

But, Tour Average has improved by +1,0% ?!

So, less improvement with Twist Face...

The players that keep their card changes every single year. It's not as if the same players play out there every year. All I'm concerned with are the details of players who hit the ball similar distances that I do, which are the players in the graph. It's very easy to hit fairways at 260 carry, not so easy at 300 carry and certainly twist face helped the whole top end of the staff by a pretty large margin.

Not really sure how 5 guys over 1 year prove that. For the bottom 3 you're talking a couple percent on average, which could be simply due to playing different events, weather conditions etc. If they were all 10-15 % up like the first 2, maybe?

That's a pretty big jump to say the difference is due to twist face.

Be curious to see what Justin Rose does with Homna vs Taylormade in year one. He's the only accurate driver of the lot on that board imo.

Remember how much their fairways roll. There's a lot of balls that are well hit by all players on tour, especially the longer hitters, that roll through the fairway into the short rough.

I've heard different things about the twist face, Toll. One of my gamers is a 2016 tour issue M2. My miss is toward the toe...I don't mean 1/8" where I might lose 5-10 yards. I'm talking about where it says twist face lol (don't judge me). Will the twist face straighten that out a bit or make it even worse?

The only shot that twist face shouldn't help off the toe, would be if the player hits a deliberate open faced push shot with an inside out path. I don't know anyone that does this on purpose, so I'd say you are safe. ;)

Be curious to see what Justin Rose does with Homna vs Taylormade in year one. He's the only accurate driver of the lot on that board imo.

Remember how much their fairways roll. There's a lot of balls that are well hit by all players on tour, especially the longer hitters, that roll through the fairway into the short rough.

The only shot that twist face shouldn't help off the toe, would be if the player hits a deliberate open faced push shot with an inside out path. I don't know anyone that does this on purpose, so I'd say you are safe. ;)

I sure as hell can nearly do it on command....i hate it lol. But yes as toll said its just a swing flaw and realistically no driver will help that.

I sure as hell can nearly do it on command....i hate it lol. But yes as toll said its just a swing flaw and realistically no driver will help that.

Agreed it's a swing flaw. I bring the club too much inside on the downswing. I just didn't want to exacerbate the issue (and yes I just wanted to use the word exacerbate lol).

I've posted this a few times, but it always gets lost in the shuffle. I figured I would share how we set up the M2 and M4 Taylormade drivers to get the best performance out of the heads.

First off we suggest you drop .75-1 degree of ACTUAL loft on the face. Easy to do with hand picked Tour heads. With retail this is pointless because of production tolerances which leave with no real idea what the exact loft on the face is, or what the next driver will be. Then instead of loading the head up with hot melt or some guys use lead tape, we like to put the heaviest back weight possible to get swing weight where the player wants it. This will increase launch and spin, but dropping the degree of loft will neutralize those, and give you the launch and spin you are used to, with higher ball speeds and higher MOI for more forgiveness.

This has me intrigued about an m4.

It's the exact way I play my M2. 44.5 inches, D1.5, 3 grams of melt for sound and the rest in a 12 gram back weight, at just under 7 degrees of true loft, slightly open, but not much. The set up is awesome. It's the same way I set up my M4 in the test for direct comparison.

Tollbros, any particular place in the head you added the hotmelt for sound?

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+