Pro V1 2019?

Shadrach

sounds like the 2019 Pro v1 is even closer in specs and performance now to the AVX, I am sure the Pro v1 still has the better spin around the greens.....loving the AVX!

This is what I am most interested in...If someone could compare the AVX to the new 2019 ProV1, id be thankful. Unfortunately, living in Boston, I wont be playing on course for another few months.

TSR3 Driver/Fairway/Hybrid

2023 T200 (4i - 48*) 

SM10 52F* & 56S*
Newport Select 1.5

-ProV1X

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I gather the primary differences between the ‘19 Pro V1 and AVX will be the Pro V1 is firmer, spins more and will fly higher on all clubs.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

From what I gather the primary differences between the ‘19 Pro V1 and AVX will be the Pro V1 is firmer, spins more and will fly higher on all clubs.

thinner cover for higher ball speeds.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Sooooooo.... who will be the first to put them on a track an for me?

My playing style fits the V1x, but I just never actually get the spin pattern off driver that I need to max my performance.

I know the V1x is higher spinning overall, but isn't it supposed to be lower spinning in the long game (compared to prov1)?

To date, I haven't found this to be the case, and it's the on,y reason I haven't been playing the V1x... just too much driver spin!

Will '19 changes address this? Come on youtubers... I want some reviews!!

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

My playing style fits the V1x, but I just never actually get the spin pattern off driver that I need to max my performance.

I know the V1x is higher spinning overall, but isn't it supposed to be lower spinning in the long game (compared to prov1)?

To date, I haven't found this to be the case, and it's the on,y reason I haven't been playing the V1x... just too much driver spin!

I can hit some on GC quad today, and no the current X is the higher launching higher spinning over all ball at this point. They both say low spin off the driver but, if one spins more at one end, it will also spin more at the other.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I can hit some on GC quad today, and no the current X is the higher launching higher spinning over all ball at this point. They both say low spin off the driver but, if one spins more at one end, it will also spin more at the other.

This does tend to be the case, but sometimes you see some significant spin separation between long and short clubs. Just being hopeful.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I went to a Titleist Golf Ball fitting and on trackman the Prov1 still spins more and launches higher than the AVX. My average 7 iron spin with Prov1 was around 7200 and with the AVX was around 6900. The AVX was noticeably softer and the ball flight was lower by between 0.5-1* of launch angle. The ProV1x spun considerably more for me actually and flew over 1.0* higher on average so that was out as I was losing around 5 yards on average and it had a very noticeable click upon impact and a harder feel. With 1/2 and 3/4 touch shots they all spun relatively the same and launched in a similar window for me. This is of course just what I experienced but he recommended I play the AVX or the Prov1 depending upon course conditions.

I went to a Titleist Golf Ball fitting and on trackman the Prov1 still spins more and launches higher than the AVX. My average 7 iron spin with Prov1 was around 7200 and with the AVX was around 6900. The AVX was noticeably softer and the ball flight was lower by between 0.5-1* of launch angle. The ProV1x spun considerably more for me actually and flew over 1.0* higher on average so that was out as I was losing around 5 yards on average and it had a very noticeable click upon impact and a harder feel. With 1/2 and 3/4 touch shots they all spun relatively the same and launched in a similar window for me. This is of course just what I experienced but he recommended I play the AVX or the Prov1 depending upon course conditions.

Did you get a chance to hit the Pro V1x as well to compare?

I did some testing on the 2017 Pro V1 and V1x and the V1x definitely goes higher on full swings. But in the short game area, the Pro V1 went higher and further when chipping/pitching. The V1x was very hard and clicky vs. Pro V1 and went much lower and shorter on chip shots. I also noticed that the V1x spun a lot less on short game shots, but spun more on long game shots.

Overall the Pro V1 ball is so much better than V1x for me, that it is ridiculous. The V1x was always the better ball for me until 2017, but Titleist failed to inform me properly about the difference since 2017 and I only found out like a week ago that I should try the Pro V1; all thanks to reading GolfWRX.

That said I went and bought a box of 2019 Pro V1's today and played 9 holes. It was cold (mid 50's), so I wasn't able to get a good feel for the ball.

All I know is that the Taylormade TP5x is horrible for me. It goes way too high on full shots and it is super hard and doesn't spin at all on short game shots (vs. Pro V1). I am a high launch/high spin player with a 110mph driver SS. Played the V1x my whole life, but now going with the Pro V1.

I did some testing on the 2017 Pro V1 and V1x and the V1x definitely goes higher on full swings. But in the short game area, the Pro V1 went higher and further when chipping/pitching. The V1x was very hard and clicky vs. Pro V1 and went much lower and shorter on chip shots. I also noticed that the V1x spun a lot less on short game shots, but spun more on long game shots.

Overall the Pro V1 ball is so much better than V1x for me, that it is ridiculous. The V1x was always the better ball for me until 2017, but Titleist failed to inform me properly about the difference since 2017 and I only found out like a week ago that I should try the Pro V1; all thanks to reading GolfWRX.

That said I went and bought a box of 2019 Pro V1's today and played 9 holes. It was cold (mid 50's), so I wasn't able to get a good feel for the ball.

All I know is that the Taylormade TP5x is horrible for me. It goes way too high on full shots and it is super hard and doesn't spin at all on short game shots (vs. Pro V1). I am a high launch/high spin player with a 110mph driver SS. Played the V1x my whole life, but now going with the Pro V1.

Appreciate all this - thank you

so, with a low launch/low spin swing, I should be V1X all day long - i need more spin on driver, irons, everything ?

thanks

so, with a low launch/low spin swing, I should be V1X all day long - i need more spin on driver, irons, everything ?

thanks

Sounds like you need the V1x. Try it side by side with pro v1. Should go higher and spin more

I played with the 2019 Pro V today for the first time. Just initial observations...the new ProV seemed to launch lower than the 2017 ProV, but seemed to have more greenside spin than the previous model.

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM9 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

I played with the 2019 Pro V today for the first time. Just initial observations...the new ProV seemed to launch lower than the 2017 ProV, but seemed to have more greenside spin than the previous model.

I’d be interested to hear if you think that trend continues......

So: did you like it ?

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

thanks

Sounds like you need the V1x. Try it side by side with pro v1. Should go higher and spin more

I think that sounds right as well

Issue is the compression

I don't want to play with a rock if i can avoid it...

The X wil l spin more or off irons and wedges and chips off the driver they are more or less the same if you have the speed to take advantage of the mantle layer of the X.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

The X wil l spin more or off irons and wedges and chips off the driver they are more or less the same if you have the speed to take advantage of the mantle layer of the X.

thanks

but this is where I get confused

so if the X spins more and launches higher off driver, irons ....and wedges? what does the V1 do exactly?

and at 105, does that take advantage of the mantle layer?

thanks

Titleist has a new "Golf Ball Selector" on their website (at least it's the first time I've seen it a couple of days ago). Anyway, put your preferences in and see what it churns out. It asks nothing about swing speed speed or club distances, interestingly.

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Callaway Apex UW 19
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

Yes, I liked it. Honestly, other than those two observations, I would say it's essentially the same ball as the 2017 model ProV. I REALLY liked the extra greenside spin. I could actually hit a pitch and have it stop on bermuda greens in the winter. As far as launching lower, I still want to see it fly in warmer temperatures. It was 45* at best yesterday, and I was wearing three layers of clothing. Could be that my swingspeed was lower and I was "punching" my irons due to the temps, clothing and winter rust. Greenside pitches and chips are not beholden to speed so I feel better about that observation.

Upon further introspection, I also remember being impressed with how you could hit a lower flighted partial shot with the 60* wedge. I had a few shots in the 60-90 yard range, and I hit my 60* wedge and was able to hit that low spinner shot. It allows for a very controllable partial wedge shot. I felt like it was harder to keep the 2017 model that low on the longer pitches.

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid

Titleist has a new "Golf Ball Selector" on their website (at least it's the first time I've seen it a couple of days ago). Anyway, put your preferences in and see what it churns out. It asks nothing about swing speed speed or club distances, interestingly.

Thanks for the head's up, kamizzou91. I gave it a go, and it suggested I play a Q-Star Tour :taunt:

Yes, I liked it. Honestly, other than those two observations, I would say it's essentially the same ball as the 2017 model ProV. I REALLY liked the extra greenside spin. I could actually hit a pitch and have it stop on bermuda greens in the winter. As far as launching lower, I still want to see it fly in warmer temperatures. It was 45* at best yesterday, and I was wearing three layers of clothing. Could be that my swingspeed was lower and I was "punching" my irons due to the temps, clothing and winter rust. Greenside pitches and chips are not beholden to speed so I feel better about that observation.

Upon further introspection, I also remember being impressed with how you could hit a lower flighted partial shot with the 60* wedge. I had a few shots in the 60-90 yard range, and I hit my 60* wedge and was able to hit that low spinner shot. It allows for a very controllable partial wedge shot. I felt like it was harder to keep the 2017 model that low on the longer pitches.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm still looking for my ball of 2019.....and waiting to try all the new stuff together. Play by the sea here on the UK and prefer / love / need a lower flighted ball. Well; something that doesn't balloon, something with some greenside stop and something not too 'X' feeling. Been a long time TM user....but found the last TP5X just too firm, unpredictable for partial shots (60 yards in) etc. So your findings sound really good to me sitting here :-)

In truth i'm really hoping the new TP5 - being a bit firmer than the old might fit the bill. But i have no real brand allegiance. The new Z-Star sounds promising too. As does this incarnation of the ProV perhaps. Freezing cold here in the UK too. So likely not really worth a multi-ball 'test' quite yet.

Have a great season.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

thanks

so if the X spins more and launches higher off driver, irons ....and wedges? what does the V1 do exactly?

thanks

Think of the prov1 as the Chevy truck of golf balls good at everything. It's 3 layers vs 4 on the porv1x. It is that 4th layer that gets you the added spin.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

39/dozen at my store. All day every day.

The NEW one ? How is that possible ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

From what you say, and playing many times in the UK, this might be the perfect sweet spot ball for you.

thanks

thanks

Does anyone know the answer to this? Does 105 SS "engage the mantle"?

Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid

Did you get a chance to hit the Pro V1x as well to compare? I did some testing on the 2017 Pro V1 and V1x and the V1x definitely goes higher on full swings. But in the short game area, the Pro V1 went higher and further when chipping/pitching. The V1x was very hard and clicky vs. Pro V1 and went much lower and shorter on chip shots. I also noticed that the V1x spun a lot less on short game shots, but spun more on long game shots. Overall the Pro V1 ball is so much better than V1x for me, that it is ridiculous. The V1x was always the better ball for me until 2017, but Titleist failed to inform me properly about the difference since 2017 and I only found out like a week ago that I should try the Pro V1; all thanks to reading GolfWRX. That said I went and bought a box of 2019 Pro V1's today and played 9 holes. It was cold (mid 50's), so I wasn't able to get a good feel for the ball. All I know is that the Taylormade TP5x is horrible for me. It goes way too high on full shots and it is super hard and doesn't spin at all on short game shots (vs. Pro V1). I am a high launch/high spin player with a 110mph driver SS. Played the V1x my whole life, but now going with the Pro V1.
From what you say, and playing many times in the UK, this might be the perfect sweet spot ball for you.
thanks but this is where I get confused so if the X spins more and launches higher off driver, irons ....and wedges? what does the V1 do exactly? and at 105, does that take advantage of the mantle layer? thanks
Does anyone know the answer to this? Does 105 SS "engage the mantle"?

i would think you would be fine. It will just come down to feel preference. if you like a firmer feel, go X. if you like a softer feel, go regular Prov1.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Why the :russian_roulette: did Titleist swap the V1 and V1X playing/spin characteristics in 2017 ??? Thanks for confusing the customer !!! :cheesy:

They didn't. That was misinformation going around. They brougjt them a bit closer to each other performance. But didn't switch the characteristics of each.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

The 2015 V1X was my favorite. I am a low ball, low spin player so everything Titleist says is I am a V1X player. BUT I didn't like the firm/clicky feel of the 2017 V1X. So I played the TP5X and it was great. Now they have upped the compression of 2019 TP5X from 90 to 97 - so I'll be holding a tryout again for my 2019 ball. Of course the new Titleist ball selector came out Pro V1? My guess is it will be the V1 or TP5.

The 2015 V1X was my favorite. I am a low ball, low spin player so everything Titleist says is I am a V1X player. BUT I didn't like the firm/clicky feel of the 2017 V1X. So I played the TP5X and it was great. Now they have upped the compression of 2019 TP5X from 90 to 97 - so I'll be holding a tryout again for my 2019 ball. Of course the new Titleist ball selector came out Pro V1? My guess is it will be the V1 or TP5.

This is Exactly my situation

I am CSx right now for all these reasons

Will test v1, tp5 and z-star as alternatives

The x versions of All these balls are too hard/clicky for me I fear....despite the ‘higher’ launch.....

A serious conundrum