Anyone Considering the Apex Pro 19/Apex CF-19 Combo Set?

jimb

Title says it all. I would add, that one comparison video I watched, a teaching pro was hitting the 7 iron with the CF-19 something like 17 yards longer that the Pro model. According to the Callaway website they will blend the short irons into the set for distance matching.

Pretty sure that's because the lofts were way stronger. On the blended set of imagine the loft is closer to 34*

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

Already ordered mine. Smoke finish, AMT Black X100's. Can't wait for them.

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

Title says it all. I would add, that one comparison video I watched, a teaching pro was hitting the 7 iron with the CF-19 something like 17 yards longer that the Pro model. According to the Callaway website they will blend the short irons into the set for distance matching.

Pretty sure that's because the lofts were way stronger. On the blended set of imagine the loft is closer to 34*

In the blended set or just the CF-19 it is 30.5, which makes a 7 a slightly weaker 6 iron with a shorter shaft. The strengthen the lofts in the sort irons in the Pro model by one degree if I am not mistaken.

If I were considering combos, I would just get Apex Pros/Apex hybrids. Forget about multiple iron blends. I’ve experimented with that and it just screws me up.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

My set with Modus Tour 130 arrive tomorrow. It’s great that Callaway offers this set with appropriate gapping. Can’t wait

Any chance you would put a picture up when they arrive? I'm going to order a set not sure whether to go apex or apex combo, I would like to see the shorter irons first before ordering! Thanks

I just received mine from UPS this morning. I have been on the range to hit a couple of tokens worth of balls. I am excited to share my thoughts.

Here are my initial thoughts (I will post a full review in a few days after I have a chance to hit them a couple of more times and maybe play a round or two.)

Last year, I played the X-Forged irons. I liked them a lot, especially the short irons. They feel as good as any club that I have ever hit, and I think they look amazing. However, I was not extremely confident with the longer irons. I just didn't feel like I hit the 5 iron as high as I want to hit a long iron.

When I told this to my inside rep at Callaway, he told me that I will love the Apex irons. My high school son has the CF 16's and loves them, and I know that they are great clubs. My rep told me that if I liked the X-Forged irons better, I could stick with them, but he said that he was confident that I would like the Apex and Pro 19's better. So, sight unseen, he talked me into the combo set.

At the course we received a demo of the Apex and Pro, just a couple of 7 irons. We received these last week and I have to admit that I was a tad underwhelmed. They didn't feel as good as the X-Forged and something just wasn't clicking with them. I was a little dismayed at first, but was really hopeful that having a set with my own specs and shafts would make a difference.

Today, I received my clubs to my specs with the KBS Tour V shafts. Let me first say that I think the shaft made a huge difference in feel. The Elevate did not give me a solid feel, at least not as pleasing as my KBS shafts do. But with the KBS shafts in these, they feel fantastic.

The short irons (8-P) look so similar to the X-Forged irons. The pitching wedge actually has a little thinner top line than the X Forged. But they look amazing and feel fantastic. Right now, we are hitting off of mats on our range, but I did take a few over to some pretty bumpy grass over to the side of the range and I did like how the club felt in the ground too. It's been a long time since I hit the Apex Pro 16's but I remember loving the feel. I love the feel of these Apex Pro's. They actually feel quite similar to the X-Forged irons. (which is a huge bonus to me.)

The longer irons (5-7) were easy to get airborne. I know the loft of the 5 iron is a bit stronger than the X-Forged, but I was hitting it higher and carrying it noticeably farther. Again, the feel of the long irons were waaaaaay better than the feel of the 7 iron demo with the Elevate shaft.

My only other real finding is probably unique to me, but worth mentioning... In the X-Forged irons, I often fought over-doing my draw. I was fairly certain it was all in my swing, and I've been working on straightening things out. Perhaps it was just my swing today, but I didn't struggle with that issue at all. In fact, I was kind of amazed at how straight I was hitting the Apex Combo's. On a couple of swings where I thought, "oops, that's going to go left"; I was surprised to see the ball hold the line. I have no idea if that makes them 'more forgiving' or if they perhaps are more suited to me, or if I was just swinging better today than I thought; but It was another encouraging sign.

Those are my feelings after hitting them for about an hour on the range. I was a little skeptical before they arrived, but I am relieved and excited now. They look and feel awesome, and I think there is a great chance that these might spend some good time in my bag.

I just received mine from UPS this morning. I have been on the range to hit a couple of tokens worth of balls. I am excited to share my thoughts.

Here are my initial thoughts (I will post a full review in a few days after I have a chance to hit them a couple of more times and maybe play a round or two.)

Last year, I played the X-Forged irons. I liked them a lot, especially the short irons. They feel as good as any club that I have ever hit, and I think they look amazing. However, I was not extremely confident with the longer irons. I just didn't feel like I hit the 5 iron as high as I want to hit a long iron.

When I told this to my inside rep at Callaway, he told me that I will love the Apex irons. My high school son has the CF 16's and loves them, and I know that they are great clubs. My rep told me that if I liked the X-Forged irons better, I could stick with them, but he said that he was confident that I would like the Apex and Pro 19's better. So, sight unseen, he talked me into the combo set.

At the course we received a demo of the Apex and Pro, just a couple of 7 irons. We received these last week and I have to admit that I was a tad underwhelmed. They didn't feel as good as the X-Forged and something just wasn't clicking with them. I was a little dismayed at first, but was really hopeful that having a set with my own specs and shafts would make a difference.

Today, I received my clubs to my specs with the KBS Tour V shafts. Let me first say that I think the shaft made a huge difference in feel. The Elevate did not give me a solid feel, at least not as pleasing as my KBS shafts do. But with the KBS shafts in these, they feel fantastic.

The short irons (8-P) look so similar to the X-Forged irons. The pitching wedge actually has a little thinner top line than the X Forged. But they look amazing and feel fantastic. Right now, we are hitting off of mats on our range, but I did take a few over to some pretty bumpy grass over to the side of the range and I did like how the club felt in the ground too. It's been a long time since I hit the Apex Pro 16's but I remember loving the feel. I love the feel of these Apex Pro's. They actually feel quite similar to the X-Forged irons. (which is a huge bonus to me.)

The longer irons (5-7) were easy to get airborne. I know the loft of the 5 iron is a bit stronger than the X-Forged, but I was hitting it higher and carrying it noticeably farther. Again, the feel of the long irons were waaaaaay better than the feel of the 7 iron demo with the Elevate shaft.

My only other real finding is probably unique to me, but worth mentioning... In the X-Forged irons, I often fought over-doing my draw. I was fairly certain it was all in my swing, and I've been working on straightening things out. Perhaps it was just my swing today, but I didn't struggle with that issue at all. In fact, I was kind of amazed at how straight I was hitting the Apex Combo's. On a couple of swings where I thought, "oops, that's going to go left"; I was surprised to see the ball hold the line. I have no idea if that makes them 'more forgiving' or if they perhaps are more suited to me, or if I was just swinging better today than I thought; but It was another encouraging sign.

Those are my feelings after hitting them for about an hour on the range. I was a little skeptical before they arrived, but I am relieved and excited now. They look and feel awesome, and I think there is a great chance that these might spend some good time in my bag.

could u post pics of the short irons please??

If you could tell me how to post the pics on this forum, i certainly would.

If you could tell me how to post the pics on this forum, i certainly would.

Have it hosted on a third-party site, like Imgur, and then use URL

Or

Click "More Reply Options" and attach the images

:)

Pardon my rough photography. These are pics of the 8-P. I also included a pic of the Apex Pro 7 iron next to the Apex Pro 8 iron from the combo set just to show the difference of the chrome from the satin finish.

Thanks for posting these, it looks like the combo short irons are just pro heads finished in satin? Or am I wrong?

Pardon my rough photography. These are pics of the 8-P. I also included a pic of the Apex Pro 7 iron next to the Apex Pro 8 iron from the combo set just to show the difference of the chrome from the satin finish.

Thanks for posting these, it looks like the combo short irons are just pro heads finished in satin? Or am I wrong?

I think that is right. Same head, same size as the Pro just a different finish. The lofts are also a degree or two strong in order to blend smoothly with the Apex irons to make the combo set.

I played a few holes with them at the end of the day yesterday and with a Chromesoft ball, the Pro irons feel fantastic.

Also, the Apex standard clubs feel great with a premium ball.

I think that is right. Same head, same size as the Pro just a different finish. The lofts are also a degree or two strong in order to blend smoothly with the Apex irons to make the combo set.

I played a few holes with them at the end of the day yesterday and with a Chromesoft ball, the Pro irons feel fantastic.

Also, the Apex standard clubs feel great with a premium ball.

I thought they would have made the short irons in the same way the cf16 combo set went.

Looked more like the standard apex and just more refined, not sure I'm liking this look in the new set!

Again thanks for posting the photos, much appreciated.

Think normal set is 4-7 Apex 8-PW Apex pro but you can also buy individually. Personally I would go 4-6 apex and 7-PW Apex pro. Also the lofts are jacked on the Pros to space out gapping Id likely go 1 degree weak on Pros and 1/2 degree weak on Apex. 26.5 degree 6 iron is crazy. Cool thing is offered in lefty and can get in the all satin finish of the Pros

I've had these in my bag all week, hit the range a good handful of times, played 9 holes twice...

Loving these irons.

Great feel to the 8-P, they just feel amazing. The 5-7 are so easy to hit. The loft gapping seems to be really well done. I was worried that I'd hit the 7 iron 15 yards farther than the 8, but there is a good proper gap between these two clubs as well as through the rest of the set. The satin finish just looks great.

In short, I am not only pleased but surprised at how much I like these.

I decided to skip the combo set and ordered the Apex Pro 19 irons only. The scary thing is when I looked at the status of my order it says "Being Processed" but in the details it says "Backordered" 5-7 days.

When thinking about the combo set I just felt the spin numbers would be too low. All the videos of guys hitting the Apex CF19 were getting spin numbers that were very low. A 7 iron wasn't even spinning in the mid-6000s. Still the distance control needs to be there in the 7-PW I would think and the Pros are already one degree strong over the last version of the Pros in 2016. I'm just hoping they'll ship within the 5-7 days they showed on the webpage. I took the stock steel shaft plus 1/4" and 1 degree upright. Fortunately, I do like my current irons so it isn't the end of the world. It just seems that way. Time for my meds.

I decided to skip the combo set and ordered the Apex Pro 19 irons only. The scary thing is when I looked at the status of my order it says "Being Processed" but in the details it says "Backordered" 5-7 days.

When thinking about the combo set I just felt the spin numbers would be too low. All the videos of guys hitting the Apex CF19 were getting spin numbers that were very low. A 7 iron wasn't even spinning in the mid-6000s. Still the distance control needs to be there in the 7-PW I would think and the Pros are already one degree strong over the last version of the Pros in 2016. I'm just hoping they'll ship within the 5-7 days they showed on the webpage. I took the stock steel shaft plus 1/4" and 1 degree upright. Fortunately, I do like my current irons so it isn't the end of the world. It just seems that way. Time for my meds.

I totally get what you are saying. The old rule of thumb was that a 7 iron should get 7000rpm's a 6 iron should get 6000 etc.

A lot of the online reviews are saying that these are low spinning. But keep in mind, a 7 iron is only supposed to get 7000rpm's at 34-35 degrees of loft. (traditional lofts) The Apex 19 7 iron is only 30.5 degrees of loft which is the same as a more traditional 6 iron. A 30ish degree club getting 6000 rpm's is actually pretty impressive.

In the last decade or two, quite a few manufacturers are bringing the Center of Gravity super low and strengthening lofts to increase distance. (RBZ, P790, Rogue irons etc.) In these cases, the distance is increased by the strong lofts, low spin, and high launches due to low CG.

Last year, when I was trying the P790 irons, I was getting something like 4600 rpms of spin on a 7 iron, combined with the low cg, this explained the crazy distances that I was hitting those clubs.

On the Apex irons, Callaway claims to have a technology called VFT in the face which is actually bringing spin back up to a reasonable level. This is part of the reason that I am really liking these Apex irons. The spin in relation to loft is quite good, and in my opinion, the feel and look are far better than the p790's, I500's, and all of the other irons in their class.

I've had these in my bag all week, hit the range a good handful of times, played 9 holes twice...

Loving these irons.

Great feel to the 8-P, they just feel amazing. The 5-7 are so easy to hit. The loft gapping seems to be really well done. I was worried that I'd hit the 7 iron 15 yards farther than the 8, but there is a good proper gap between these two clubs as well as through the rest of the set. The satin finish just looks great.

In short, I am not only pleased but surprised at how much I like these.

How do you find the feel in the 5-7 irons?

I have a fitting planned for tomorrow evening, been waiting on these for a while CF16 were the best irons I ever had!