2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Cobra Forged Tec One Length

DC300

Ok, Dechambeau is in the process of contending for #1 in the world and I am in the process of finding my next set of irons. Who has put these things into action? What are your experiences? I am not really as enthused with the Original Forged One, but not opposed either. I plan on putting some good graphite shafts in and going all out one length for the season.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the forged tec ols. I have the recoil es 780 smacwraps in xs in mine. They are the stock graphite shafts. I played s300 before these, but my elbow couldnt take the abuse. I've had no problem adjusting to the weight difference. They are great shafts. I too struggled with the 5 and 6 iron, but it was due to over swinging. You just have to trust they'll do what they're suppose to. I really like the ol hybrids too. I also owned the original forged. I like the blacks better. I hated the f7s. Never really tried the f8s.

I'm heading into my second season with FTBs 5-L. Just ordered be new OL hybrid as well. Frankly I played the most consistent golf of my life with these clubs last year and plan to focus on my swing this year with the same clubs. I did pick up some of the VL black hogans but after messing around with them it's pretty clear they are for fun challenge rounds and the cobras are for scoring.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I play the forged tec ols. I have the recoil es 780 smacwraps in xs in mine. They are the stock graphite shafts. I played s300 before these, but my elbow couldnt take the abuse. I've had no problem adjusting to the weight difference. They are great shafts. I too struggled with the 5 and 6 iron, but it was due to over swinging. You just have to trust they'll do what they're suppose to. I really like the ol hybrids too. I also owned the original forged. I like the blacks better. I hated the f7s. Never really tried the f8s.

That’s pretty much what I want to get and for the elbow reasons as well. I’d like heavier shafts, but it is what it is I guess.

Ok, Dechambeau is in the process of contending for #1 in the world and I am in the process of finding my next set of irons. Who has put these things into action? What are your experiences? I am not really as enthused with the Original Forged One, but not opposed either. I plan on putting some good graphite shafts in and going all out one length for the season.

If you are influenced by Dechambeau, why not look at the clubs he is using?

Glad to hear this. I had the f7's last year and was debating the forged tecs if I stick with the concept. Loved the long irons actually but struggled with the short ones. Figured might like the smaller forged clubs over the cast f7's.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

even dechambeau can't hit the 4/5 iron and is using the utility one length for those clubs. That tells you about the gapping issues at the low end of the club. I had similar issues.

I honestly think it may be because of the lack of forgiveness in the forged. I will be ordering forged tec black to play with when I'm not competin. I couldn't get the Forged one long irons consistent enough to compete with this winter, and the forged tec is much more forgiving based on a few in store swings.

To your point however, it really does seem like a lot of his six irons are rolling out farther than he wants them to.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I bought them a few weeks ago and have used them a lot indoors. My swingspeed with them is around 89-92, and I am carrying the 7 185 and the 5 210. I originally had the 4-5 utility and hit that one shorter than the Forged Tec 5 for some reason. I think my swing does not get along with the wide bottoms of those. I also have the 3 hybrid which carries around 225. They have taken some time to get used to, but overall I like them a lot!

That’s pretty much what I want to get and for the elbow reasons as well. I’d like heavier shafts, but it is what it is I guess.

And not sure if you're aware, but the f4 xs is suppose to have the same characteristics of the f3 s, but is 4 grams heavier. At least that's what the recoil rep told me. I know it's not much but at least it's a little heavier. And I don't swing xs in any thing else. Jfyi

He doesn’t influence me, I have been interested in the concept a long time. I built a few demos, but the Forged Tec is the first club that really suits my eye and has the technology to overcome the shortcomings of the single length set up. I think it’s great he is doing well and it will bring more attention to the single length theory, it will help bring major R&D to it. Getting Cobra on board is a huge step. There are others out there that are very good too, but I really like what they have done with the Forged Tec.

even dechambeau can't hit the 4/5 iron and is using the utility one length for those clubs. That tells you about the gapping issues at the low end of the club. I had similar issues.

I honestly think it may be because of the lack of forgiveness in the forged. I will be ordering forged tec black to play with when I'm not competin. I couldn't get the Forged one long irons consistent enough to compete with this winter, and the forged tec is much more forgiving based on a few in store swings.

To your point however, it really does seem like a lot of his six irons are rolling out farther than he wants them to.

There is an inherent issue with generating the same spin with the lower lofted irons with the shorter shafts, most people see it in gapping constriction because they can’t keep the ball in the air. I am a high club head speed player and found that compression at the top of some other sets as well. The Sterlings and the Forged Tec seem to overcome the distance pretty well, but do lack in spin. I’m ok with that trade off. I’m not a great striker of long irons, so it’s 50/50 if I’m hitting the green anyway, so why not have something that is on line, but might roll out? That I can account for and adjust to. It might not be perfect, but the odds of me being ok with some roll out are still better than me “sticking” a 4 iron anyway. I’m a borderline single digit cap, not a pro, so it’s easy for me. Bryson is dominating the field by 7 strokes, so I guess it’s ok for him too haha.

He doesn’t influence me, I have been interested in the concept a long time. I built a few demos, but the Forged Tec is the first club that really suits my eye and has the technology to overcome the shortcomings of the single length set up. I think it’s great he is doing well and it will bring more attention to the single length theory, it will help bring major R&D to it. Getting Cobra on board is a huge step. There are others out there that are very good too, but I really like what they have done with the Forged Tec.

I Think the fact that he is winning with one length should be influential. I would pay per view for another top pro playing 9 holes with Singlelength.

I vote u get the forged tec 4-pw. Original Forged one doesnt have a ton of helpful tech imo, feels bladey. Which is fine but tougher.

Pm if ever selling :)

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I currently game the OL forged tec blacks. I find the gapping to be good. There seems to be a greater drop off on miss hits with the longer irons. I've never been able to add massive spin on wedge shots but with these clubs I've been able to back up shots with the pw. Chipping with the longer sw takes some getting used to.

What's the word on the OL hybrids? I am getting 205-215 with the 4I. I am looking for something to get me a 230-240 ball. I wanted to try the utility but they dont exist for left handers.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently game the OL forged tec blacks. I find the gapping to be good. There seems to be a greater drop off on miss hits with the longer irons. I've never been able to add massive spin on wedge shots but with these clubs I've been able to back up shots with the pw. Chipping with the longer sw takes some getting used to.

What's the word on the OL hybrids? I am getting 205-215 with the 4I. I am looking for something to get me a 230-240 ball. I wanted to try the utility but they dont exist for left handers.

I have the F8 OL hybrid in 22. My highest iron is my 5 Ol F7, which I think is around 23/24. I cant hit the 5 around 190 and I hit the Hybrid around 2-205. You probably swing faster than me but I am not seeing a lot of yards between my highest iron and the hybrid. You hitting your 4 205-215 I am not sure how much more you may be able to get out of the hybrid. Assume you would grab the 19 degree?

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

And not sure if you're aware, but the f4 xs is suppose to have the same characteristics of the f3 s, but is 4 grams heavier. At least that's what the recoil rep told me. I know it's not much but at least it's a little heavier. And I don't swing xs in any thing else. Jfyi

F4 is stiff. F3 is regular. F5 is UST’s extra stiff and it isn’t available in the 780 shaft.

In most models of shafts a stiffer shaft in the same model is usually a few grams heavier.

I'm convinced the reason people struggle to play the Cobra long irons is due to the super strong lofts. For instance, when compared to Pinhawk SLs the Cobra 7 iron is 5.5* stronger, the 6 iron 4.5* etc. Super strong lofts require moderate to high swing speed to play effectively so unless you're swinging 85mph+ the hybrids or utility irons will most likely be the better option. For what it's worth the Cobra lofts are incredibly strong throughout the set. In my opinion it's poor design in that the low irons are super strong, the gapping at the top is lost...really confusing design.

The concept was they were able to manipulate the CG to a lower placement in the long irons, allowing stronger lofts with high launch angles. For me, the Pinhawk is a little weak in lifts, I have high club head speed and am not afraid of the lower lofts, so I actually prefer the Cobra set up. The Pinhawks are probably the best set for the majority of golfers, the design is really great, just not flashy.

Ditto on what many are saying, the 3-5 irons require very high SS to get these airborne enough to hit greens on the fly with proper spin. I didn't have gapping issues, but trajectory sure was a problem. I was pretty much getting the same distances (total yardage) as my X Forged irons but I don't have any interest in dialing in shots to run onto the green.

6i - GW, great clubs. The forged black heads are really well designed. Great look/feel.

Have the Forged Tec Blacks. The 5,6,7 are all fhe same length. I play variable length in everything else. No issues at all.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

These sticks are nice! Had them for 10 rounds.

- great black finish that I thought wore well

- dropped them bc I didn’t get proper fit (just fell in love on a demo day) and had issues holding greens,p and sometimes getting height, making me start to constantly question everything. Went to IBlades but then went back to single length with Edel irons where I got fully fit at club champion. Content with the Edels because they can fly and stick. Now just have to actually get better at golf lol.

Go all in for one length...it’s sweet especially if you are tall (longer wedges) - just would highly recommend getting fit to ensure you can exceed or match your current gamers. If you don’t get, questions and doubt could pop up post purchase.

• 4 weeks later...