TaylorMade M5 cracking already ???

Here comes the Boom

I cracked FOUR M2 3 woods inside a year. TM does stand behind their product and sent me a new one every time, even rushed delivery on multiple occasions. Eventually they sent me an M4 and it has been fine. That said, I'm not sure what my point was only to say I guess I'm not surprised.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

However you look at it that is a bad design. You simply can't have a thin exposed edge of carbon fibre fronting the direction the club will be swung in and I can't see how anyone at TM signed off on that design.

It doesn't matter if the owner is an 18 handicapper that drop-kicked a few tee shots, a club in that price band needs to be able to take some punishment to be fit for purpose.

However you look at it that is a bad design. You simply can't have a thin exposed edge of carbon fibre fronting the direction the club will be swung in and I can't see how anyone at TM signed off on that design.

It doesn't matter if the owner is an 18 handicapper that drop-kicked a few tee shots, a club in that price band needs to be able to take some punishment to be fit for purpose.

^^^^^^

THIS

What are fiberbuilt tees?

These:

https://shopindoorgo...e-system-5-pack

They are a hard plastic tee inside a rubber sleeve. It adjusts up and down. Very popular but I can definitely see how it could smash that thin piece of carbon fiber as it rebounds after impact with the face.

Please explain why a plastic tee can destror carbon fibre.

According to Newtons thirds law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Basically saying that the the plastic tee and the carbon fibre feels the same amount of force, but carbon fibre gets destroyed but not the plastic tee? So you are saying that plastic is stronger than carbon fibre.Or am I missing something?

Carbon Fiber is a woven material layered with some kind of bonding agent - resin, epoxy, etc. Like a golf shaft, different fibers and bonding can change its strength in different ways. Cracks in a sheet of carbon fiber do not indicate the object that hit it is stronger, especially if that object is impacting the carbon on the edge, where the carbon fiber structure is weakest. Some woven nylon fabrics can stop bullets but not if it's hit on the edge. Think of a brand new golf shaft. The exposed tip can be easily chipped and damaged if you aren't careful but you can bend and torque the shaft without breaking it.

The point is that carbon fiber is not a uniform material and will not withstand the same forces in all directions.

Of course not, but we are still talking plastic tees that are exposed to the same force as the carbon fibre.

ive been noticing the tee marks on pro guy sM5s that travel up the slider track... you can see some off center marks etc on some of their heads on the lips surrounding the tracks... its going to be an issue... are the fairways made with composite bottoms too ?? if so its going to get really ugly

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What are fiberbuilt tees?

These:

https://shopindoorgo...e-system-5-pack

They are a hard plastic tee inside a rubber sleeve. It adjusts up and down. Very popular but I can definitely see how it could smash that thin piece of carbon fiber as it rebounds after impact with the face.

Please explain why a plastic tee can destror carbon fibre.

According to Newtons thirds law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Basically saying that the the plastic tee and the carbon fibre feels the same amount of force, but carbon fibre gets destroyed but not the plastic tee? So you are saying that plastic is stronger than carbon fibre.Or am I missing something?

Carbon Fiber is a woven material layered with some kind of bonding agent - resin, epoxy, etc. Like a golf shaft, different fibers and bonding can change its strength in different ways. Cracks in a sheet of carbon fiber do not indicate the object that hit it is stronger, especially if that object is impacting the carbon on the edge, where the carbon fiber structure is weakest. Some woven nylon fabrics can stop bullets but not if it's hit on the edge. Think of a brand new golf shaft. The exposed tip can be easily chipped and damaged if you aren't careful but you can bend and torque the shaft without breaking it.

The point is that carbon fiber is not a uniform material and will not withstand the same forces in all directions.

Of course not, but we are still talking plastic tees that are exposed to the same force as the carbon fibre.

It's not the same force in the same way. The tee is highly flexible and compressible which makes it more resilient to impact - why it's used. Carbon fiber is flexible also but not on its edge. That's the least flexible direction. It's actually very brittle from an end on direction. Again, carbon fiber is not a uniform material like metals and plastic. You can't look at one property of a material and apply it uniformly to all scenarios. Shape and direction of force is significantly important to stress and strain capability of a material.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Carbon fiber can be made to be strong or compliant, brittle or malleable. It al depends on the layup of fiber and the bonding agent.

This looks like a terrible design, and it could be crappy bonded fiber, thought of as more cosmetic than functional...

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Ah....some lead tape on there and it'll be like new.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Nothing new here. Cally, Ping and TM have all had QA issues with recent driver offerings. Weights coming out, carbon fibers cracking etc. It’s part of the game now unfortunately..

Sure, but this one just seems so obvious and easily avoidable. I would think a very large percentage of TM drivers are sold at big box stores where people are bashing away on this very type of tee that is apparently causing an issue.

Even though the OEM's are great about replacing, it still leaves you without a driver for a couple of weeks while they get you a new one. It gets pretty old after a while coming from a guy who cracked 3 FT-9's.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

So the recoil of a tee can break the carbon sole pieces. Not sure I buy this theory. The tee should bend in the direction of the clubhead’s direction of travel not launch upwards like a spike. But in the fraction of a second that the clubhead is passing over the tee knocking the tee forwards, the tee is wreaking havoc on the carbon pieces. Nah, can’t get my head around that claim. The drivers pictured look like they’ve been abused.

plus one.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

This is happening at many of the Demo spots, my local GG both heads they have to demo show the exact same cracks at the same spot.

Eagerly awaiting the M5 V2 heads that should ship around june or so :taunt:

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I cannot believe this wouldn't have been better tested. As mentioned earlier. Warranty would take care of it. But, it is a pain to deal with over and over again. Not a good look if someone is looking to demo the club only to find that the bottom is cracked.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

M5 TP to the rescue!!

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I actually think it’s both hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Just to look at the main problem area makes you wonder how it seemed like a good design to anyone in the first place.

I haven’t seen one in hand, but it looks like A wafer thin little sheet of graphite hanging off the edge of the metal track.

So the recoil of a tee can break the carbon sole pieces. Not sure I buy this theory. The tee should bend in the direction of the clubhead’s direction of travel not launch upwards like a spike. But in the fraction of a second that the clubhead is passing over the tee knocking the tee forwards, the tee is wreaking havoc on the carbon pieces. Nah, can’t get my head around that claim. The drivers pictured look like they’ve been abused.

Does this change your opinion about tees potentially damaging carbon fiber on a driver head?

• Like 1

Regular tees wouldnt do this. Looks like IF it is because of the tees, it is the large tees in mats. But still skeptical.

The plight of the 30 handicaper bottoming out on a mat and blaming the tee.

Who do you think TM is marketing clubs to, all the +7.2 135 CHS 190 MPH BS Golf WRXers? Bad design to have the carbon exposed on the bottom like that.

I got to see the M5 and M6 in person and they look cheaper than the Cortex. You can tell that keeping everything under wraps caused them to rush things.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

Nothing but trouble for TM. This will be an issue. Excuses already blaming it on types of Tees. They have to be kidding.

I can see down the road they will say you can only use this tee with this driver so dumb that is why i don't like taylormade m1-m6 drivers too much carbon on them

WHATS IN THE BAG 2024

DRIVER - TAYLORMADE M5 9* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE GREEN 70 6.5

3WOOD- TAYLORMADE M6 15* PROJECT X HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80 6.5

DRIVING IRON- TAYLORMADE SIM UDI #2 MITSUBISHI DIAMANA THUMP HYBRID 100 XSTIFF

3-PW- MIZUNO MP-53 DYNAMIC GOLD S300

WEDGES- TITLEIST VOKEY SM6 53*S /58*S DYNAMIC GOLD WEDGE

PUTTER- PING G2 ANSER 33.5"  PING PP58 MIDSIZE 

BALL- 21 TAYLORMADE TP5X / 23 SRIXON Z STAR

GRIPS- GOLF PRIDE TOUR VELVET PLUS 4 STANDARD