Driver Thoughts - Callaway Epic Flash vs. Cobra F9

leftycabe

Correct - I think almost everyone has hit the EFSZ longer than anything else. It seems dispersion has been tighter for most everyone with the F9. I would imagine that is due to the higher spin. At this point, I need to hit 1-2 more fairways more than I need 5 extra yards.

I also agree with the TXG sentiment. If there is a better YouTube channel for golf gear, I've never watched it. Those guys are amazingly knowledgeable and seem to be genuinely good guys. If I only had the coin to fly to Canada and get fit........ Where I'm at, finding a quality fitter within 3 hours is difficult. Almost as difficult as finding the time to make the trip to get fit when you have two kids under 3 and an accountant for a wife - in the middle of tax season!

Ultimately, I think any new driver out there will perform. I think the "old" (2 years old) drivers can still deliver great results too.

I'm still trying to convince myself of the F9's accuracy versus the Epic SZ's length. I also tend to hit deeper headed drivers better than standard height drivers. I would say that's from my typically slightly high toe miss.

Thank you all for your opinions. This is my first ever thread and it has been fun to see everyone's thoughts.

I don't think I could play the Flash if it we're free and gave me 20 yards. That thing is so ugly!

Wow ? at Adresse the SZ Looks better than any other driver

GD Tour AD TP 6X Big Bertha B21 8°

KBS Tour Proto 105X Callaway XForged'18 UT 18°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway XForged'18 UT 24°

DG Tour Issue X100 Callaway Apex Pro'19 5-PW

DG Tour Issue Onyx S400 SM9 50°/54°/58° Jetblack

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Correct - I think almost everyone has hit the EFSZ longer than anything else. It seems dispersion has been tighter for most everyone with the F9. I would imagine that is due to the higher spin. At this point, I need to hit 1-2 more fairways more than I need 5 extra yards.

I also agree with the TXG sentiment. If there is a better YouTube channel for golf gear, I've never watched it. Those guys are amazingly knowledgeable and seem to be genuinely good guys. If I only had the coin to fly to Canada and get fit........ Where I'm at, finding a quality fitter within 3 hours is difficult. Almost as difficult as finding the time to make the trip to get fit when you have two kids under 3 and an accountant for a wife - in the middle of tax season!

Ultimately, I think any new driver out there will perform. I think the "old" (2 years old) drivers can still deliver great results too.

I'm still trying to convince myself of the F9's accuracy versus the Epic SZ's length. I also tend to hit deeper headed drivers better than standard height drivers. I would say that's from my typically slightly high toe miss.

Thank you all for your opinions. This is my first ever thread and it has been fun to see everyone's thoughts.

That’s it... I don’t think I switch from my XR16 pro to the flash sz.

But I totally consider a upgrade my rogue pro irons to new apex... have to test the CF and Pros

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

I had a driver fitting yesterday. Going into the fitting I was 90% sure I was going to come out with the Epic Flash Subzero. Boy was I wrong. This is my take away from the fitting.

All heads at 9* with the Atmos TS Blue and a brand new Pro V’s on track man indoors.

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

We ended up at the end of the fitting adjusting the F9 down to 8* and bingo lowered the spin and beat out the TS3.

Plus $450 vs $750 is a no brainer.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Like the Flash SZ pretty much, the sliding weight is a game changer!

With the right shaft it’s not too low spin...

One question: per inch which i cut off my driver or wood shaft I have to add 8g of lead tape? Is that right?

Yes. If you wish the SW to stay the same as before the chop, it’s 4 grams per 1/2 inch, 8 grams per inch.

There is no “rule” that you have to return it to the same weight. Perhaps you might like it a point or two lighter. I happen to have my LTD currently at D1.5. It was d-3 originally before I built mine at 43.5”. 1.5” short. I added back about 10 grams.

I had a driver fitting yesterday. Going into the fitting I was 90% sure I was going to come out with the Epic Flash Subzero. Boy was I wrong. This is my take away from the fitting.

All heads at 9* with the Atmos TS Blue and a brand new Pro V’s on track man indoors.

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

We ended up at the end of the fitting adjusting the F9 down to 8* and bingo lowered the spin and beat out the TS3.

So, looking at your signature, apparently Tensei Blue is you shaft of choice. Didn't try any others ?

Was this at Club Champion where one shaft fits all ? Or were all the shafts specific to that manufacturer ?

And was the Cobra the only one you changed the loft on ?

And the shaft is stock for Cobra and $250 upcharge at TS ? And they're the same ? Yup, no brainer there then.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

So, looking at your signature, apparently Tensei Blue is you shaft of choice. Didn't try any others ?

Was this at Club Champion where one shaft fits all ? Or were all the shafts specific to that manufacturer ?

And the shaft is stock for Cobra and $250 upcharge at TS ? And they're the same ? Yup, no brainer there then.

Atmos Blue is my shaft of choice. It was my gamer in M3, G400, and G400 Max. Yes I did try the Smoke and other non-upcharge.

My fitting was at 2nd swing with my fitter that I’ve known for years. All the heads performed best with the Atmos Blue TS 6S.

All the data was done at 9* of loft. I already made up my mind to get the F9 at 9*. After my iron fitting my fitter wanted to see what the F9 would do at 8*.

I hope that all makes sense.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Atmos Blue is my shaft of choice. It was my gamer in M3, G400, and G400 Max. Yes I did try the Smoke and other non-upcharge.

My fitting was at 2nd swing with my fitter that I’ve known for years. All the heads performed best with the Atmos Blue TS 6S.

All the data was done at 9* of loft. I already made up my mind to get the F9 at 9*. After my iron fitting my fitter wanted to see what the F9 would do at 8*.

Sorry about that, Atmos of course. Must've had Tensei on my mind for some reason.

So it wasn't the same Atmos Blue shaft then ? Each of the manufacturer's had a version to test ?

And you DID try other shafts, yes ?

Any idea if the Cobra Atmos is a "made for" and the TS3 is the "real deal". I know TM had their own (stock & made for) version of an Atmos for the M3/M4. Worked very well - just wasn't the $300 aftermarket "Tour Spec".

Tough choice given the TS3 beat the F9 in pretty much everything but dispersion (was it close ?) even given the $300 price difference.

Titleist Pro V1X

Great thoughts on the drivers. The Cobra, I think, it easily the big stick of the releases so far. I must say, for the price, it's amazing. Stock shaft options are not bad either.

M6 is getting a bit of a bad rap but, no one seems to be putting any real effort into trying them. Most pros are going M5 (obviously) for the adjustability and lower spin but, if you put a good Tensei Pro, Evenflow White (mine), or AD shaft on it, you'll get a good low spin controllable driver.

I won't say Epic missed the mark but, I'm not seeing the same craze and daze that original Epic had. It's like a bad Jim Carrey sequel. Hit's the desires but, no real wow factor.

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Sorry about that, Atmos of course. Must've had Tensei on my mind for some reason.

So it wasn't the same Atmos Blue shaft then ? Each of the manufacturer's had a version to test ?

Any idea if the Cobra Atmos is a "made for" and the TS3 is the "real deal". I know TM had their own (stock & made for) version of an Atmos for the M3/M4. Worked very well - just wasn't the $300 aftermarket "Tour Spec".

Tough choice given the TS3 beat the F9 in pretty much everything but dispersion (was it close ?) even given the $300 price difference.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I used the real deal TS Atmos in all the heads. Yes Cobra and Titleist have the real deal. TM is made for , but I tested it with the real deal TS Atmos. TS3 was launching like 1.5* lower, spinning about 500 less, and about 2 more yards. So not much difference. Dispersion is the biggest thing for me. Nothing comes close to the Cobra in that category. Plus at 8* for me it can’t be beat in any category.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour

Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I used the real deal TS Atmos in all the heads. Yes Cobra and Titleist have the real deal. TM is made for , but I tested it with the real deal TS Atmos. TS3 was launching like 1.5* lower, spinning about 500 less, and about 2 more yards. So not much difference. Dispersion is the biggest thing for me. Nothing comes close to the Cobra in that category. Plus at 8* for me it can’t be beat in any category.

Yes but did you use the exact same ball teed to the exact same height in a facility that had the exact same relative humidity with your hands holding the club in the exact same way on each and every shot? My goodness.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Yes but did you use the exact same ball teed to the exact same height in a facility that had the exact same relative humidity with your hands holding the club in the exact same way on each and every shot? My goodness.

You're a 1 handicap and you don't realize that all these things make a difference ? My goodness. :swoon:

Titleist Pro V1X

The only concern you should have about buying a Cobra is that you may never buy a driver from anyone else again. I've pretty much owned everything out there from 2013 forward, and I have to say that everyone except for Cobra has put out some duds in that time. They just keep on cranking out quality offering after quality offering, and for less money. For some reason, since Rickie Fowler and Bryson DeChambeau play them and they make them in colors sometimes, some people don't take them seriously.

You're a 1 handicap and you don't realize that all these things make a difference ? My goodness. :swoon:

You seemed quite intent on invalidating his choice, even though his choice would have no impact at all on what club would work out best for you. It annoyed me. I expressed my annoyance with a pithy response. Then I got hungry and ate some lunch.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

You seemed quite intent on invalidating his choice, even though his choice would have no impact at all on what club would work out best for you. It annoyed me. I expressed my annoyance with a pithy response. Then I got hungry and ate some lunch.

To-MAY-to, to-MAH-to. Which one did you have on your samwich ? {burp}

Actually I was more intent on him validating his choice; to himself. As you noted, why would I care about what he chooses to play ?

Have a nice evening. :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

I don't think I could play the Flash if it we're free and gave me 20 yards. That thing is so ugly!

Wow ? at Adresse the SZ Looks better than any other driver

Meh...

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Wow at Adresse the SZ Looks better than any other driver

Meh...

he´s saying it´s soo ugly?! wtf

Odyssey ProType Black #2

Vice Pro Plus

Well, I knew that I would struggle between these drivers, and as a lefty, it is hard to get a hold of them to try them on the course, so I ended up buying both of them. That way, I can play a few rounds with each of them, then sell the one that suits me the least. I have Callaway hotmelting the head for me, so the sound will be less irritating and more muted.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I really like both of them. However, I am surprised to say that I actually prefer the cobra driver this year.

Titleist TSR3 9º | VA Composite VYLYN 65

Stealth Plus 15º| Diamana ZF 70 
Stealth Plus 19º | Diamana ZF 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour | KBS Tour
Vokey SM9 50/54/58  | DG TI S400

Bettinardi | Queen Bee 6

TaylorMade TP5X

Well, I knew that I would struggle between these drivers, and as a lefty, it is hard to get a hold of them to try them on the course, so I ended up buying both of them. That way, I can play a few rounds with each of them, then sell the one that suits me the least. I have Callaway hotmelting the head for me, so the sound will be less irritating and more muted.

As a fellow lefty if you decide to part ways with your F9 let me know...?

I am pulling for the Cobra to win out, but we will see. While I hate to buy 2 drivers, I did get the additional 50% loyalty trade-in bonus for my Epic driver, so it wasn't quite as offensive. This way, I can get them both out on the course, and see which really performs better for me in actual course conditions, rather than just on a range or monitor.

I believe we get so caught up in launch monitor numbers, that we forget how much more important hitting fairways is, at least for us weekend golfers. If I am hitting fairways, I have a much more enjoyable round and score better. Being 5-10 yards longer, but in the rough or behind a tree, makes for long day. Testing drivers on the course while playing actual rounds, drives this point home for me. I won my club championship (1st flight, not Championship flight) this past year, hitting a driver that typically spins around 3000 rpms and is 10 yards shorter than some of my other drivers, but tends to find the fairway more often.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

I am pulling for the Cobra to win out, but we will see. While I hate to buy 2 drivers, I did get the additional 50% loyalty trade-in bonus for my Epic driver, so it wasn't quite as offensive. This way, I can get them both out on the course, and see which really performs better for me in actual course conditions, rather than just on a range or monitor.

Talk about damning with faint praise. :lol:

So, about 120 + 50% = 180, for a driver that cost $500 2 years ago. OY. Worse than a new car. :russian_roulette:

Titleist Pro V1X

Talk about damning with faint praise. :lol:

So, about 120 + 50% = 180, for a driver that cost $500 2 years ago. OY. Worse than a new car. :russian_roulette:

Yes, that's a fair statement.

LEFT HANDED

Its not that hard to decide. Buy both and set up with identical shafts and hit them on the range with a monitor, the one that consistently performs out for you over 3 weeks is the right fit.

I went for a rogue sz briefly last year after everyone says how much better it is, could not get it to work for me so i sold it and moved on to a tour issue M4 for $250. Does the m4 go further than my retail m2? Probably not, but with the open club face and lower native loft (8.6) my distance is more consistent and dispersions are much tighter.

Seriously I dont see how new drivers can just outperform last years with so called latest technology. Dont think spending $500 is worth the investment performance wise. Save the $200 to spend on a better shaft or range balls or a personal trainer/gym will probably gain you more distance or tighter dispersions than the “new head”.