2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Jimmy Ballard

Speedster - you mentioned using the Callaway Connect.Isn’t the main purpose of that to connect the right arm which I don’t believe JB recommends. Altho FWIW, connecting the right arm seems to worke best for me, esp in the short game.

It can be worn on either arm, but I only use it on the left. It's just a Connector with a little more stretch in it than the Ballard Connector and I pretty much only use it in conjunction with the Golf Swing Shirt for full swings.

Makes sense now. I thought you had previously posted NOT to connect right arm. Can’t see myself with a Swing Shirt tho!!

Speedster - you mentioned using the Callaway Connect.Isn’t the main purpose of that to connect the right arm which I don’t believe JB recommends. Altho FWIW, connecting the right arm seems to worke best for me, esp in the short game.

Makes sense now. I thought you had previously posted NOT to connect right arm. Can’t see myself with a Swing Shirt tho!!

I've made 50 swings indoors with the Golf Swing Shirt and the Callaway Connect on my left arm underneath the shirt ever since the day it first came out quite a few years ago (these swings are made with a 7 iron that I have a training grip on that matches my grip). The reason I use the Callaway Connect underneath and not my Ballard Connector is that the Callaway Connect is a little stretchy and the shirt already holds things in place so it's not too restricting and is more comfortable, but I only use the Callaway Connect in conjunction with the Golf Swing Shirt, not by itself (I use the Ballard Connector by itself when hitting balls outdoors).

Lately I have been using the Leadbetter Boomerang outdoors under my left arm instead of the Ballard Connector, because it's harder to cheat and easier to alternate and take it on or off, whereas you have to go through a lot more to take the Ballard Connector on and off. I've liked the feel of my swing lately since I have been doing it that way, It feels more compact/shorter and I've been hitting it well so I am sticking with it. I've even been making my 50 daily indoor practice swings using the Boomerang and the Golf Swing Shirt together for the last couple of weeks instead of the Callaway Connect and really like that better too :).

By the way, you don't have to run out and buy a Boomerang, they are very hard to find these days, instead you can use a hybrid headcover.... a glove is a bit too thin and regular headcovers is too thick, but I have a leather hybrid headcover that feels very close to the feel of a Boomerang.

This is what the Boomerang looks like if you've never seen one...

See no point in buying anything to just stick under your armpit. I like just bunching up your shirt like Scott McCarron used to do. Left arm connection is easy for me to feel and understand. Was taught that by Jim Hardy. The biggest change for me is swinging up, not around. Makes the swing feel much steeper resulting in some distance loss and shot pattern now more of a fade than previous reliable draw. Does JB recommend shallowing the shaft on the downswing? Need to go back to see him when I’m in FL next month.

Speedster or anyone are the VHS and DVD essentially the same material? I have the VHS but was wondering if the DVD covers anything new/different?

I have the DVD.....its the exact same video as the VHS. Its just converted to DVD format.

I could make copies of the JB DVD and mail them out, if anyone is interested. Takes 5 minutes to make a dub.

Speedster or anyone are the VHS and DVD essentially the same material? I have the VHS but was wondering if the DVD covers anything new/different?

I have the DVD.....its the exact same video as the VHS. Its just converted to DVD format.

I could make copies of the JB DVD and mail them out, if anyone is interested. Takes 5 minutes to make a dub.

Don I would be interested. Contact me at [email protected]

thank you

add me to the list

[email protected]

thnks

I'm in for the DVD version. Thanks for offering this.

I too have the old vhs and would gladly take a dvd version.

I'm in for the DVD version. Thanks for offering this.

PM me your email

Here is the article from 1996 that JJ is referring to, I have a copy of it too....

My Ballard method conclusion: When under pressure in a tournament it seems like I revert to playing a fade vs draw. Im not sure if this is my tendency or whether the Ballard method promotes a fade vs draw.

Looking at the stable if players many more than not seemed to lean left to right in flight pattern.

Sutton

Strange

Colbert

Thompson

Lyle

JC Snead

Dent

Rocco Mediate is the only drawer I know but hes got a pretty big angle inside on the backswing and left for Rick Smith again. He’ll be back when his back gives out imo.

The vertical attitude of the backswing and the hanging of the toe of club at top fit a fade as well.

This is just my opinion.

Based off a few recommendations and JB's approval.....I just purchased The Swing Shirt on Amazon. Hopefully it will fix my consistency issues and take my arms OUT of the swing.

you might well enjoy this ballard vid on the swingshirt.. maybe have seen

caught a comment from JB in the attached you tube on the swing shirt about how the left arm needs to be bent in the downswing for maximum club speed...….

fits with the concept of being wide in the backswing, narrow (spring the shaft) at start of downswing....then wide into ball for speed

Extensive older thread on ballard on old b.squad golf forum....some diff thoughts for sure

http://bombsquadgolf.com/Invision/index.php?/topic/9553-jimmy-ballard/

my big question is the specifics of ballards grip

Great thread. Especially on how the weight goes from right heel to left toe. I’d heard George Knudson talk about it, but this thread makes it clear. Awesome contribution indeed.

See no point in buying anything to just stick under your armpit. I like just bunching up your shirt like Scott McCarron used to do. Left arm connection is easy for me to feel and understand. Was taught that by Jim Hardy. The biggest change for me is swinging up, not around. Makes the swing feel much steeper resulting in some distance loss and shot pattern now more of a fade than previous reliable draw. Does JB recommend shallowing the shaft on the downswing? Need to go back to see him when I’m in FL next month.

For me, I feel like bunching up my shirt adds a little too much tension, that is why I like to have something with a little more substance under my left arm like a hybrid headcover or a Boomerang. Don't get me wrong, bunching up my left arm sleeve and putting it under me left arm while I play is something I do from time to time when I'm on the course and nothing else is feeling good that day, it just helps me get through the round without thinking about my mechanics.

JB does not recommend shallowing the shaft, this will happen enough with centrifugal force if you work on swinging back and down on the same vertical plane. Shallowing the shaft will cause you to pull on the handle in the downswing and not release the club, JB wants you to SPRING the shaft on the downswing and release all of the clubs energy into and through the ball. You can't swing the outer and inner force the way JB wants when you drop the club under the plane or come over the top on too steep of a plane; hence why I make 2 split handed practice swings as part of my pre-shot routine, it allows me to feel the outer and the inner force as well as spring the shaft without pulling on the handle.... RELEASE, RELEASE, RELEASE!!

Understood. Which is why it's so bizarre that nearly every other piece of downswing advice seems to consist of ways to shallow the shaft which all good players seem to do! For me, I feel that JB's instruction will help correct my previous misunderstanding that the swing should be around, not up, which often results in below plane downswing and lack of compression.