Scotland Golf Trip 101 (The Compass Guide)

Don't most of you guys have miles in a frequent flier program?

An obvious tip for those in the hobby, but there is a concept called "churning" which is signing up for CC's for the signup bonus (have to hit minimum spend over x number of months) for a certain airline or hotel program and then cancelling them at the anniversary before the annual fee hits your account. I do this every few years, however some are doing this constantly and monitoring how long til they can sign up for the card they cancelled 2 years ago and still get the signup bonus. It is a tremendous opportunity to collect miles cheaply to redeem for trips such as those mentioned above. I post on flyertalk dot com for the last 10 years or so and is the bible for all things miles/points.

If you are really industrious you can get into "manufactured spend" to hit your cc sign up min. spend requirement and I'll leave those details out for now since it is "creative" to say the least.

Domestically I fly Southwest on 99% of my trips. Since they don't fly to Europe, my accumulated points are useless.

It looks like I'm going to book American Airlines to Glasgow. Their flights are ~$300 cheaper than flying into Edinburgh, at the expense of an extra 50 minutes on the train to St Andrews. It'll be ~$100 more than Icelandair, but I like the fact that there are many more flights each day in case my plans change slightly. Icelandair only has 1 flight a day from Chicago to/from Glasgow.

Sorry for all the nitty gritty details. I think as a general rule golfers must pay attention to the aircraft used by the airlines on each segment. Many are now using small regional aircraft, and traveling with golf clubs and a normal sized suitcase may not be allowed. Yeah, I'm talking to you Aer Lingus.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Domestically I fly Southwest on 99% of my trips. Since they don't fly to Europe, my accumulated points are useless.

It looks like I'm going to book American Airlines to Glasgow. Their flights are ~$300 cheaper than flying into Edinburgh, at the expense of an extra 50 minutes on the train to St Andrews. It'll be ~$100 more than Icelandair, but I like the fact that there are many more flights each day in case my plans change slightly. Icelandair only has 1 flight a day from Chicago to/from Glasgow.

Sorry for all the nitty gritty details. I think as a general rule golfers must pay attention to the aircraft used by the airlines on each segment. Many are now using small regional aircraft, and traveling with golf clubs and a normal sized suitcase may not be allowed. Yeah, I'm talking to you Aer Lingus.

I travel on small regional aircraft all of the time with golf clubs and have never heard of this being an issue.

I travel on small regional aircraft all of the time with golf clubs and have never heard of this being an issue.

I'm assuming he's talking about Aer Arann prop planes and their T&Cs. Think 'many are now using...' is hyperbole, as like yourself I've never had an issues.

Think flying a specific pokey airline (which is why they should be avoided) can be the issue regardless of the scenario.

Edit: So I'm a few years behind, they're Stobart Air now.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's not an issue with the golf clubs, but the policy of one checked bag and one carry-on with the Stobart Air planes. The clubs can be checked, but the carry-on is restricted to a 14" suitcase. I'm a big guy, and there's no way I can travel to Europe for a week using a 14" suitcase. A 21" carry-on would be barely sufficient.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I procrastinated on booking the flight, and was lucky to find a British Airways flight for $775 round-trip to Glasgow (through London) that includes seat assignments. 'Saved $300. It gets into Glasgow a few hours later that I originally planned, but (hopefully) still early enough to catch the train to St Andrews and arrive before dinner/supper. The first day (Sunday) was going to be a lost travel day anyway. I'm planning to play Monday through Friday, and then head to Glasgow on Friday afternoon for the flight back on Saturday.

• 2 months later...

I'm three months out from my trip, and I'm starting to look for a hotel room in St Andrews. Hopefully I'm not too late. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced room within walking distance to the course? I'll be traveling as a single, and won't be spending much time in the room, so I certainly don't need anything fancy. A bed and a shower is enough.

I'm three months out from my trip, and I'm starting to look for a hotel room in St Andrews. Hopefully I'm not too late. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced room within walking distance to the course? I'll be traveling as a single, and won't be spending much time in the room, so I certainly don't need anything fancy. A bed and a shower is enough.

Maybe Ardgowan? We’ve stayed there when the nicer places were booked and it was fine.

We're looking at AirBnB's for St. Andrews. Lots of them right close to The Old Course and the prices are very reasonable.

This.

We stayed in an AirBnB 150 yards from the first tee of the Old Course for $115 CDN. Way cheaper than any hotel option and much, much nicer.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

We're looking at AirBnB's for St. Andrews. Lots of them right close to The Old Course and the prices are very reasonable.

Stayed here on one trip.

http://burnesshouse.com

Walking distance to the Old Course and bars and restaurants in St Andrews

I stayed there a few years ago, and had a great time. The owner is on-property, and is extremely helpful, and the breakfasts were delicious.

If you get an Airbnb rather than B&B you don't have to push the black pudding around the plate at breakfast

The black pudding is delicious, and the kippers are even better.

Couldn't get that Sumpertramp song out of my head yesterday

Could we have kippers for breakfast

Mummy dear, mummy dear

They got to have 'em in Texas

'Cause everyones a millionaire

If you get an Airbnb rather than B&B you don't have to push the black pudding around the plate at breakfast

The black pudding is delicious, and the kippers are even better.

Couldn't get that Sumpertramp song out of my head yesterday

Could we have kippers for breakfast

Mummy dear, mummy dear

They got to have 'em in Texas

'Cause everyones a millionaire

LOL I think I still have that record on vinyl. I know they're not for everyone, but I actually enjoy kippers, and Arbroath smokies are even better. Black pudding is a little more hit or miss, although had some made in Stornaway that was really tasty.

It's not an issue with the golf clubs, but the policy of one checked bag and one carry-on with the Stobart Air planes. The clubs can be checked, but the carry-on is restricted to a 14" suitcase. I'm a big guy, and there's no way I can travel to Europe for a week using a 14" suitcase. A 21" carry-on would be barely sufficient.

You would be surprised. I am 6'1" and wear XL and double XL shirts. I went to Scotland with a carry on and my Golf bag for 10 nights. Played golf 5 times, went sight seeing, and to the Open on Saturday and Sunday. If you roll up all of your clothes, and then put some extra layer items into your golf bag it is no problem at all. I even had extra room to pack some of my wife's clothes in my golf bag as well.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

You would be surprised. I am 6'1" and wear XL and double XL shirts. I went to Scotland with a carry on and my Golf bag for 10 nights. Played golf 5 times, went sight seeing, and to the Open on Saturday and Sunday. If you roll up all of your clothes, and then put some extra layer items into your golf bag it is no problem at all. I even had extra room to pack some of my wife's clothes in my golf bag as well.

You traveled with a 14" carry-on?

You traveled with a 14" carry-on?

Maybe if going to Florida and all you are packing is shorts and polos. Can't imagine realistically and comfortably packing layers for Scotland in something that small.

The 2nd checked bag paradigm is really a gut shot to the travelling golfer. I'm packing a folding duffel bag into my companion's checked bag and some of my clothes, so we can split them back up when we arrive, but that is a luxury having a loved one along.

The airlines ask that you don't pack non-golf items in your bag, but I can't think that they check. I assume that they see my little carry bag inside a bag cover and guess they are getting off easy compared to a hard case.

I've been debating taking it on the chin and checking a 2nd bag as our flights don't have a restriction just a hefty charge. Now, after booking Muirfield a sports coat has to go somewhere. I thought about wearing it onto the plane, but I look like a dork with sneakers and a sports coat. Or a college professor :)

I wouldn't worry about looking like a dork. I think most golfers look like dorks in the eyes of the non-golfing public.

Yeah, the policies of the vast majority of airlines do not allow clothes to be packed with the golf clubs. I have yet to hear/read about someone getting called out on it, but with my luck I'd be the first person dinged on it. 'Not going to take a chance with a bucket list trip.

I take several golf trips each year that range from 4 to 6 days. I generally check a large 28" suitcase, and it's close to full. I'm fairly certain I could smash the clothes into a 22" carry-on, but no way would it fit in a 14" carry-on. Actually, looking at Amazon, there is no such thing as a 14" suitcase. The smallest suitcase I see is a 15" "underseat spinner". The airlines is basically saying you have to pack a week's worth of clothing into a small backpack.

I wouldn't worry about looking like a dork. I think most golfers look like dorks in the eyes of the non-golfing public.

Yeah, the policies of the vast majority of airlines do not allow clothes to be packed with the golf clubs. I have yet to hear/read about someone getting called out on it, but with my luck I'd be the first person dinged on it. 'Not going to take a chance with a bucket list trip.

I take several golf trips each year that range from 4 to 6 days. I generally check a large 28" suitcase, and it's close to full. I'm fairly certain I could smash the clothes into a 22" carry-on, but no way would it fit in a 14" carry-on. Actually, looking at Amazon, there is no such thing as a 14" suitcase. The smallest suitcase I see is a 15" "underseat spinner". The airlines is basically saying you have to pack a week's worth of clothing into a small backpack.

I have always packed 2 pairs of shoes, my raingear, and a couple of windshirts with my golf bag, and never had an issue. I do make sure I'm a couple pounds under the 50 pound limit. To be honest, the cost for an additional checked bag is pretty minor when compared to the cost of the entire trip.

Something to remember, though, is that most B&Bs or hotels can get your clothes laundered with same day service. Pack enough for just over half, and get your clothes cleaned partway through. This is a good reason to stay in one spot for more than just a night.

I have always packed 2 pairs of shoes, my raingear, and a couple of windshirts with my golf bag, and never had an issue. I do make sure I'm a couple pounds under the 50 pound limit. To be honest, the cost for an additional checked back is pretty minor when compared to the cost of the entire trip.

Something to remember, though, is that most B&Bs or hotels can get your clothes laundered with same day service. Pack enough for just over half, and get your clothes cleaned partway through. This is a good reason to stay in one spot for more than just a night.

Pretty sure our AirBnB has a laundry setup. Good reminder that I can simply do a load of laundry half way through the trip.

We'll see.... I've never been one to take the maximum capacity carry on to save a few buck, I usually just take a smallish backpack that will fit under my seat and avoid the overhead musical bags routine.

We booked two different tickets, one to get to the UK and then an internal flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh, so rather than pay the baggage fee twice we would get hit 4 times.

I have always packed 2 pairs of shoes, my raingear, and a couple of windshirts with my golf bag, and never had an issue. I do make sure I'm a couple pounds under the 50 pound limit. To be honest, the cost for an additional checked bag is pretty minor when compared to the cost of the entire trip.

Since you never know what can happen, I always pack one pair of shoes, a change of clothes, range finder, GPS, and my rain gear in my carry on back pack. Second pair of shoes and second set of rain gear (if you're going to rainy place) go with the clubs or in the checked bag.

That way if the clubs get delayed and don't make it in time for your first round you at least have the right clothes and can rent clubs.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm booked for Kingsbarns on the Monday of my trip, the Castle course on Tuesday, and the Old Course on Wednesday. I won't have a rental car, so are they any recommended courses within cab distance from St Andrews? Is the New, Eden, or Jubilee courses worth playing, or should I look out of town?

I'm booked for Kingsbarns on the Monday of my trip, the Castle course on Tuesday, and the Old Course on Wednesday. I won't have a rental car, so are they any recommended courses within cab distance from St Andrews? Is the New, Eden, or Jubilee courses worth playing, or should I look out of town?

New and Jubilee are good and challenging. The Jubilee has some of the biggest dunes in the town. I've not played it, but I think the Eden is a bit shorter, but it could be a great choice for the afternoon after an overnight flight and morning arrival. Next closest is Crail, and both Elie and Lundin are within a reasonably short drive. I'm not sure about the taxi cost. This might give you at least an estimate:

https://www.standrewstaxis.co.uk/fare-guide?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhrbh0I_L4AIVw4-zCh2WOwqhEAAYASAAEgIBjvD_BwE

You're already there, so I'd just play there, all you have to do is walk down the street, although the first tee at Eden is a bit further away.

Personally I'd play New/Jubilee/Eden before Castle, so if you have Castle lined up I'd go ahead and play those three too.

Were you playing out in East Lothian too? As they are all easily reachable via train/cab.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.