Bryson DeChambeau is a modern day Bobby Jones

tgreenwood11

Biggest win is the memorial and no top 10s in majors. Wins an event in Middle East with a weak field and now he's the goat.

I'm obviously missing something in my water

Yeah, you missed putting more stupid pills in your water.

Ping G410+ Tensei Orange Pro.

Mizuno GT180 shaft as above.

Adams 3H  Aldila Blue.

Wilson FG100 4i-PW.

Wilson PMP 52/56/60

Putters....too many.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Jones won 44% of his starts. I'd think that qualifies as one of the greatest. He won for USO 3 open Championships and 5 us arms and a British am. That's not greatness?

Jones was solid and consistent player at a time when golf was being played by fewer people.

The odds were in his favor.

actually 4 US opens, 3 Opens.......and he was more than 'solid and consistent'......you just don't win 7 of these because the 'field wan thinner' at that time.

Alright already I get it, in 1930 Bobby Jones: A) could not beat a LPGA pro from today , B) could not break 90 at ANGC and C) could not beat the Golfwrx member named Jones(sic), the guy who consistently equaled or beat par on his 110 slope muny track. Not brilliant, he was a compilah as they say on WFAN.

Bobby Jones was a gentleman who's contributions to golf went far beyond what he did on the golf course. There would not be a Masters without Bobby Jones and there are few that would argue that's not the finest golf tournament going. Jones also conducted himself professionally on and off the course. Bryson is one of the brightest young talents out there but that's where the comparisons end at this point.

To date, Bryson hasn't walked off the course during the third round of the British Open either.

He didn't walk off the course, he continued to play with his playing partners. He simply decided to stop keeping score.

And, by the way, he acquitted himself very well on the same course in 1930.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Re: Jones won 44% of his starts. I'd think that qualifies as one of the greatest. He won for USO 3 open Championships and 5 us arms and a British am. That's not greatness?

Jones was solid and consistent player at a time when golf was being played by fewer people.

The odds were in his favor.

actually 4 US opens, 3 Opens.......and he was more than 'solid and consistent'......you just don't win 7 of these because the 'field wan thinner' at that time.

From 1923 until 1930 Jones won 4 US Opens; he also finished second 3 times, and only once missed the top 10, finishing T11.

In the same time period, he won every single Open Championship that he entered - 3.

If that isn't one of the greatest records in golf, I don't know what is.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

No doubt that he is very good, but a long way to go before comparing him to any of the greats; Jones, Hogan, Sneed, TIGER, Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Nelson, etc.

He is on a hot streak right now and it will slow down. Look at Spieth, Johnny Miller, etc.

For my money Tiger already won the best stretch, he held all 4 Majors (at the same time) within a 12 month span.

Quantum physics has nothing to do with what they are discussing or the way he plays. I believe that what he is closer to is: Quantum mechanics differs from classical physics in that energy, momentum, angular momentum and other quantities of a bound system are restricted to discrete values(quantization); objects have characteristics of both particles and waves (wave-particle duality); and there are limits to the precision with which quantities can be measured (uncertainty principle).

Just saw him throw his club to the ground after hitting an average shot on a 164 yard par 3 in Saudi.

Left it for his caddie to pick up as he walked off.

An adult who treats his caddie like that is a ******. I'll cheer for him to lose every tournament he plays.

It seems like a repeat pattern with him to slam clubs or act like a spoiled brat (see his mocking of the new drop rule)

If he is in contention on Sunday for a major he will win because his pre-shot routine will extend so much that everyone else will lose interest. His slow play kills me. If the tour ever actually enforced it's pace rules he wouldn't win anything.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

The player with the most wins without a major was Harry Cooper, with 31. The player with the most wins without a major in the post-WWII era was Doug Sanders with 20. So I think we can cool our BDC jets a bit, eh?

Bryson is my favorite golfer and I believe he has the potential to win majors. But we're very early in the game to say much more than that.

Just saw him throw his club to the ground after hitting an average shot on a 164 yard par 3 in Saudi.

Left it for his caddie to pick up as he walked off.

An adult who treats his caddie like that is a ******. I'll cheer for him to lose every tournament he plays.

Kinda like Bobby Jones in that way. Seething anger of younger Bobby .

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 weeks later...

His whole "scientific" approach and "intelligence" is blown WAY out of proportion. I consider anyone who actually finished their physics degree, and people who work in medical/research/most engineering fields to be more of a scientist than a someone with 3 years as a physics undergrad. I'm an engineer and don't remotely consider myself a scientist.

I'm not knocking his data-centric approach and wanting to isolate variables during practice so he can be prepared for what the course throws at him. It's obviously working for him (unless they make him pick up the pace, which would be awesome and he may implode) But it's a little silly that he tests the effect of a wet clubface and golf media goes "OMGGGGG HE'S A MAAAAD SCIENTIST!" He's not putting out statistical analysis of whatever he's doing, he's not getting published, he's just a dude that likes physical sciences so maybe chill out a bit.

Also, my >$.000002 is that someone who is actually smart can explain a complex topic in a very simple manner. He uses 1000 of the biggest words possible to say his shoulder hurts. To me that doesn't say he's smart, just that he's a bit of a try hard. My thermodynamics professor was my favorite because he made everything seem so straight forward rather than remind everyone he was a PhD and we were but lowly undergrads.

His whole "scientific" approach and "intelligence" is blown WAY out of proportion. I consider anyone who actually finished their physics degree, and people who work in medical/research/most engineering fields to be more of a scientist than a someone with 3 years as a physics undergrad. I'm an engineer and don't remotely consider myself a scientist.

I'm not knocking his data-centric approach and wanting to isolate variables during practice so he can be prepared for what the course throws at him. It's obviously working for him (unless they make him pick up the pace, which would be awesome and he may implode) But it's a little silly that he tests the effect of a wet clubface and golf media goes "OMGGGGG HE'S A MAAAAD SCIENTIST!" He's not putting out statistical analysis of whatever he's doing, he's not getting published, he's just a dude that likes physical sciences so maybe chill out a bit.

Also, my >$.000002 is that someone who is actually smart can explain a complex topic in a very simple manner. He uses 1000 of the biggest words possible to say his shoulder hurts. To me that doesn't say he's smart, just that he's a bit of a try hard. My thermodynamics professor was my favorite because he made everything seem so straight forward rather than remind everyone he was a PhD and we were but lowly undergrads.

He knows his audience isn't well versed in physics/engineering so he over complicates everything as much as he can to appear to have some extreme intelligence, while anyone possesses the technical knowledge (NOT saying I'm better versed than Bryson) can recognize it's like listening to a junior physics student vs a PhD. The best professors I had could've taught thermo or fluid mechanics to anyone at any level because they understand it so well. But that doesn't sell Bryson's persona I guess.

He knows his audience isn't well versed in physics/engineering so he over complicates everything as much as he can to appear to have some extreme intelligence, while anyone possesses the technical knowledge (NOT saying I'm better versed than Bryson) can recognize it's like listening to a junior physics student vs a PhD. The best professors I had could've taught thermo or fluid mechanics to anyone at any level because they understand it so well. But that doesn't sell Bryson's persona I guess.

Bryson fools the dummies

They actually just got on the air with some neuro witch doctor on PGA tour live. This is so stupid. I have a bridge I can sell you too

Now wittle Bryson is upset people are walking behind him. Gotta do more brain training to beat that buddy!

I guess he could be considered a scientist, he studied science, but then again he never worked as a scientist. I have worked with literally hundreds of practicing scientist, some even played golf.........but none ever said they were golfers.

Bryson is off to a good start, but history is full of bold predictions and players in all fields who faltered and never regained footing. We will all have to wait and see.

I applaud the OPs enthusiasm, and at the same time smile at his naive youth.

I have found that those who make brash predictions spend a lot of time with their foot in their mouth (sometimes both feet). It is better to hold opinions conservative and to ones self, than to open your mouth and confirm the suspicions to others.

I am not knocking Jones, he was a great golfer, but the fields he competed in were far, far, weaker than any of the fields since the 1950s. Nicklaus held 3 majors in the same year, Tiger held all 4 majors in a 12 month period, Bryson has held how many (?).

I am not making a prediction but of the current crop the only threat I see to a one year grand slam is DJ (he has show consistency). Justin Thomas (to me) has a fantastic game, but he is still immature and questionable that he will be this hot of a player in 5 years. Jordan Spieth is a hell of a player, but already shown he is human, he may have his best years already behind him. Rory, great talent but a pretty average putter, no chance. I like Bryson, he is good, he is different, but I don't think he has what it takes to win 4 Majors in a year (he is a cry baby).

Unless there is another Tiger or Nicklaus out there, 4 Majors in a Physical year is very safe.