jll62's WITB - SIM season

You get a chance to hit the 760s yet?

Yeah. When I was at TaylorMade in late November getting a look at the 2019 product line, I was able to carve out a little time to hit a P760 6-iron. I'm intrigued. I liked the look of the head in person and thought it felt like a normal forged players CB 6-iron, as opposed to the way the P790 felt. However they're using speed foam, they seemed to have done it in such a way that didn't change the feel. Numbers on TrackMan were comparable to what I'm currently playing, but the P760 did launch a bit higher (going off memory...I didn't have my club to compare against). I'm already a high ball player, so that was a bit of a negative for me.

The biggest factor that will likely prevent me from upgrading is the total cost. I play with an iron shaft not available from TaylorMade's custom shop (C-Taper S+) and I'd have them rebuilt using MOI matching. I'm fine with the P760 being sold for $1399 at retail, but I'd have to add a few hundred more on top of that to get them built to spec. I don't think the value add is there to make that investment. Not right now, anyway.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I love how attentive you are to your game and how that plays out with the equipment you select - I am surprised you only play wedges for a year and replace, but maybe you play significantly more golf than I do. How did you like the X-Torsion Copper 70TX you showed a few months ago? Also, how do you decipher which iron shafts play better in your set of irons and wedges than others? It seems like your knowledge and understanding of what works and what doesn't (and how you realize) is significantly fine-tuned.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD DS72 34.5"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I love how attentive you are to your game and how that plays out with the equipment you select - I am surprised you only play wedges for a year and replace, but maybe you play significantly more golf than I do. How did you like the X-Torsion Copper 70TX you showed a few months ago? Also, how do you decipher which iron shafts play better in your set of irons and wedges than others? It seems like your knowledge and understanding of what works and what doesn't (and how you realize) is significantly fine-tuned.

Thanks! I’ve been playing for a long time, so I tend to know what works for me and what doesn’t. However, I've also learned that it’s easy for me to adapt to something that doesn’t fit quite right, so I have to be meticulous when selecting options. A few seasons ago I was playing iron shafts that did not fit me at all. It was that experience that caused me to be a little more data driven when selecting shafts. I choose them by a combination of best feel, best dispersion, and finally consistency of all the launch monitor data (in that order). The last iron shaft fitting I did was fairly intensive, but I can share that process with you if you'd like.

With regard to wedges, by the end of the year the grooves will have worn enough to change their performance. They'll launch a little higher and spin a little less than what I'm expecting. The game is hard enough as it is without having to adjust to clubs whose performance characteristics are changing over time, so I just replace them to get back to the baseline level of what I'm expecting. I practice twice a week and play about 60 rounds a year, with maybe 40% of those in competition. I'm sure I could probably squeeze two seasons out of them, but it's one area that I need to have dialed in, so I invest in the performance each season.

I had high hopes for the X-Torsion Copper based on some comparisons to the Tensei Orange V2 proto I read here on WRX, but the 70 just wasn't for me (a 60 may have been a better fit). I'm quite happy with the Tour AD GP-6s I have now. I've always been an S/X tweener in the driver, so the stiffer GP-6s fits pretty well. With driver shafts, I'm obviously looking for certain performance benchmarks, but there's also a feel I'm after that helps me choose between similar performing shafts. If I feel the shaft working at all in the swing, it's out. When I've found one that fits, I know it almost instantly. It's like the shaft is just an extension of my arms, if that makes sense.

I used to be known within my circle as the guy who would always have something new in the bag, but lately I've settled down. Having some empirical data behind my selections has helped remove doubt about my equipment choices and it makes it harder for me to replace a club. But I still like to test everything!

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Yeah. When I was at TaylorMade in late November getting a look at the 2019 product line, I was able to carve out a little time to hit a P760 6-iron. I'm intrigued. I liked the look of the head in person and thought it felt like a normal forged players CB 6-iron, as opposed to the way the P790 felt. However they're using speed foam, they seemed to have done it in such a way that didn't change the feel. Numbers on TrackMan were comparable to what I'm currently playing, but the P760 did launch a bit higher (going off memory...I didn't have my club to compare against). I'm already a high ball player, so that was a bit of a negative for me.

The biggest factor that will likely prevent me from upgrading is the total cost. I play with an iron shaft not available from TaylorMade's custom shop (C-Taper S+) and I'd have them rebuilt using MOI matching. I'm fine with the P760 being sold for $1399 at retail, but I'd have to add a few hundred more on top of that to get them built to spec. I don't think the value add is there to make that investment. Not right now, anyway.

gotcha thanks. I’m a high ball/high spin guy as well may bend them a little strong if I end up getting them. Actually really like the look of the RS TP you play. Can get them for a good deal with c tapers.

gotcha thanks. I'm a high ball/high spin guy as well may bend them a little strong if I end up getting them. Actually really like the look of the RS TP you play. Can get them for a good deal with c tapers.

I play my RSi TP a little strong to try and flight them down a bit. I think TaylorMade hit on a nice headshape with the RSi and I'm glad they stuck with it for their recent player's CB irons. The 750 I have at home are very similar in shape to the RSi and the 760s seem to have followed suit.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 2 weeks later...

First bag change of 2019: Replaced the original UDI 2 with a P-790 UDI 2.

I have a feeling I'm just getting started...

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 3 weeks later...

I love the V-Steel, such a classic club. I also love the old school UDI. Have you had any issue with the Spider putter chipping on the face? I had the Red one with the black face insert and after about 4 rounds the face with chipping near the edge of the insert, which was a real bummer because I really enjoyed that putter.

TITLEIST TS3 10.5°

TITLEIST 915F 16.5°

TITLEIST 818 H1 21°

TITLEIST U500 4i

TITLEIST T100S 5-PW

TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48.10F/54.10F/58.08M

ODYSSEY WHITE HOT OG V-LINE

TITLEIST PRO V1

I love the V-Steel, such a classic club. I also love the old school UDI. Have you had any issue with the Spider putter chipping on the face? I had the Red one with the black face insert and after about 4 rounds the face with chipping near the edge of the insert, which was a real bummer because I really enjoyed that putter.

I'll be honest, TaylorMade putters have had a well-deserved reputation for paint chipping. No doubt about it. But what I've found is that just being mindful of the putter helps tremendously. Keep the head cover on at all times and if you're walking to the green with other clubs, be careful that the wedges aren't banging into the putter head. It's not difficult.

Here are pics of my Jason Day Itsy Bitsy Proto. This was my gamer for over two full seasons. I haven't had any chipping around the face. There's a little chip on the top, a couple of chips on the toe, and a little bit around the top of the neck where the head cover doesn't protect. Along with that, there's a little paint wear from the head cover on the left rear bumper, and wear from turf/sand on the bottom of the top bumper. All in all, this is pretty clean for 2 years of play and practice. The chips on the top and the toe are 100% my fault for letting something bang into the putter.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

New 3-iron in the bag for testing: P760 with C-Taper S. Have a funny feeling this could lead to a bag full of P760...

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

New 3-iron in the bag for testing: P760 with C-Taper S. Have a funny feeling this could lead to a bag full of P760...

I keep going back to the store to see the P760s. Got a feeling I will end up with a full bag as well bent 1 strong when weather warms up. Debating 790 4 iron tho

They have really grown on me to the point where I love the look. I was going to wait until I could do more testing on turf, but if I like the feel of the 3 iron, I don't think I'll be able to hold out for too long. I already have a set of shafts waiting to install.

I like the idea of a P790 4 iron at the top. I considered a P790 for the 3 iron, but decided to stick with the progression in the 760

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I keep going back to the store to see the P760s. Got a feeling I will end up with a full bag as well bent 1 strong when weather warms up. Debating 790 4 iron tho

They have really grown on me to the point where I love the look. I was going to wait until I could do more testing on turf, but if I like the feel of the 3 iron, I don't think I'll be able to hold out for too long. I already have a set of shafts waiting to install.

I like the idea of a P790 4 iron at the top. I considered a P790 for the 3 iron, but decided to stick with the progression in the 760

Yeah im with you. Thought the first pictures out were pretty bad. Now I actually think they are a very good looking iron. Just need to decide what to do on the 4 iron end before I pull the trigger

• 4 months later...

#June 6, 2019 Update

8i8oyafqtl3n.jpg

## Driver

_TaylorMade M5 9.0; Tensei Orange V2 Proto (70TX, 1" tip, 44.5")_

After a lot of trial and error, the M5 has made the bag after changing to the Orange V2. I was not getting along with the M5, but a buddy of mine suggested I try the Orange and I remembered I had purchased this shaft a few years ago from TollBros when the Orange V2 was all the rage. Tested this combo against my gamer (M3 w/Tour AD GP) and I gained an average of 3mph ball speed with M5. The Orange V2 has a bit of a cult following around here and this one is probably too stiff for me, but it's working. Not going to change it for now.

qj1wkgrlcsew.jpg

n8b1iwovg6dl.jpg

ybyp9dql5arc.jpg

## 3-Wood

_TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3; Tensei Blue (70X, 1" tip, 42.5")_

Another one that made the bag after shaft change. Had a non-Pro Tensei Blue from an original M2 fairway. Pulled that, put on a new tip, and it's been good so far. I'd like to demo the M5 15 to see if that launches more optimally.

v9eui0ztbgk6.jpg

mci8cws9uknb.jpg

## Driving iron

_TaylorMade P790 UDI; Aerotech SteelFiber i95 (S)_

This replaced the OG UDI. A touch more ball speed, but still serves the same purpose. Useful on courses where there are a lot of 230-245 tee shots. As before, I still have an RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 hybrid for use on courses where there are none of these tee shots, or where I'll need to play shots from 220-230 into long par 4s or par 5s.

bxyl61mzbw2f.jpg

cuvkbpfuwkvo.jpg

## Irons

_TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, P750 3-4; KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped once)_

I love the P7TW so far. The feel took a little time to get used to, as the tungsten plug behind the sweet spot gives them a slightly different feel. It is a deeper, harder feel like Tiger described it in the marketing videos.

s6z0tyhy4nd2.jpg

5a95apuu239y.jpg

7vybjo6440vg.jpg

## Wedges

_TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 52, Hi-Toe 58; DG S400 Tour Issue_

I started playing a 6 degree gap last year (46-52-58) and I continued that this year. The big difference is that I went with a 58 degree Hi-Toe instead of a 60 and bending it to 58. I didn't like the look of the slight bit of offset added when strengthening the loft. Still love the Raw 52, but the grooves are starting to wear down and it will need to be replaced this summer. Will likely go with a MyHiToe so I can get a Raw version.

2x6e61oj0mkz.jpg

qccziqjj6skl.jpg

cpdjhmdkxwxv.jpg

## Putter

_TaylorMade Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"_

Why change a good thing? I do have a MySpider X on the way, all black with no white or a sightline, so that will get a shot to replace this.

1z3y45jams98.jpg

## Ball

_2019 TP5x_

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Great bag as always!

• Like 1

Driver- Taylormade SIM 2 *10.5 set at 8.5*, Ventus Black 6X

3 Wood- Taylormade SIM 2 15* set at 14.25*, Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X

5 Wood- Taylormade SIM 19* set at 19.75*, Tensei Orange 80TX

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 UDI 18*, Tour AD DI 95X

Irons- 4-PW Callaway Apex TCB Raw, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black 50*, 55*, High Toe Raw 60*, Nippon Modus 115 Black Wedge 

Putter- Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4, Ping PLD Anser 2 matte raw or Spider Tour Red

What happened to the p760 3 iron?

Driver- Taylormade SIM 2 *10.5 set at 8.5*, Ventus Black 6X

3 Wood- Taylormade SIM 2 15* set at 14.25*, Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X

5 Wood- Taylormade SIM 19* set at 19.75*, Tensei Orange 80TX

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 UDI 18*, Tour AD DI 95X

Irons- 4-PW Callaway Apex TCB Raw, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black 50*, 55*, High Toe Raw 60*, Nippon Modus 115 Black Wedge 

Putter- Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4, Ping PLD Anser 2 matte raw or Spider Tour Red

> @The_Champ said:

> What happened to the p760 3 iron?

I took it out of the bag over the winter while hitting off mats in the simulator. Once we got outside this spring, I wanted to try something with a narrower sole, so I put the 750 in. It's a fairly recent change, however, so I could end up back with the 760 or the 770. What I do know is that it's unlikely I'll have the P7TW 3-iron in the bag. Hahaha

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I received my MySpider X this morning and I could not be more thrilled! This putter is exactly what I've been dreaming about since I first saw these at TM HQ back in November:

* No white alignment

* No sightline

* All black

I need a plain top line on my putters, which is one of the reasons I love the Itsy Bitsy proto (Spider Tour) so much. But, at times my alignment can get a little off. I'm hopeful that the combo on this My Spider X will be exactly what I need: A plain top line and some alignment help that isn't too distracting or takes away from my face/ball awareness. Practice round with it today...

2upvbcw1y5k0.jpg

wxbupy4fix0p.jpg

84vsptxwqpar.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

• 2 weeks later...

Great bag Jesse!

• Like 1

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

• 1 month later...

Mini-update: After some good play with the P7TW (including a top ten at our state amateur), the RSi TP went back into the bag this week. My stats showed that my approach game has taken a dip this year, so I'm going back to the RSi TP to see if that can help for the final stretch of tournament season. So far, so good. I've struck it great in the two rounds I've played since making the switch.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @MakersMarsh3 said:

> Whats your MOI # at?

The P7TW were as close as I could get them. Every iron was within 2653 to 2656, with most at 2654.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

New putter in the bag ahead of Tuesday's US Mid-Am qualifier: TaylorMade Soto. Hard to take the Itsy Bitsy's out of play after nearly 4 years, but my alignment has gotten way off and I needed a different look for a while. Here is a pic of the impact testing I was doing over the weekend. Ready to go.

(Thanks to @TK3309 for lending me his Soto and letting me cut it down to length)

bkb7z3gqqlq1.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> New putter in the bag ahead of Tuesday's US Mid-Am qualifier: TaylorMade Soto. Hard to take the Itsy Bitsy's out of play after nearly 4 years, but my alignment has gotten way off and I needed a different look for a while. Here is a pic of the impact testing I was doing over the weekend. Ready to go.

>

> (Thanks to @TK3309 for lending me his Soto and letting me cut it down to length)

>

> bkb7z3gqqlq1.jpg

Update: Qualified for the Mid-Am with the Soto, so I don't think it's leaving the bag for a while...

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> > @jll62 said:

> > New putter in the bag ahead of Tuesday's US Mid-Am qualifier: TaylorMade Soto. Hard to take the Itsy Bitsy's out of play after nearly 4 years, but my alignment has gotten way off and I needed a different look for a while. Here is a pic of the impact testing I was doing over the weekend. Ready to go.

> >

> > (Thanks to @TK3309 for lending me his Soto and letting me cut it down to length)

> >

> > bkb7z3gqqlq1.jpg

>

> Update: Qualified for the Mid-Am with the Soto, so I don't think it's leaving the bag for a while...

Congratulations on qualifying!

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore PRO 1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

• 3 months later...

Well, the Soto didn't last as long as I thought it might. Once a putter ho, always a putter ho. Latest addition: A Tour Proto TaylorMade Juno that's fully milled (rather than skim milled like the retail line). All the lines have been softened compared to the retail line, as well.

098dnqpm75kq.jpg

24r4pnfiukcd.jpg

czlv3hx23kxd.jpg

ora2dxemwyah.jpg

The putter has a KBS Tour One Step prototype shaft. It's supposed to provide the stability of some of the newer shaft designs, but retain feel. I've only used it indoors so far, but the putter does have a great feel. I can't really comment yet on how the shaft itself performs.

vdupieldt2h5.jpg

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

The head cover is a TaylorMade Vault exclusive and has a magnetic closure.

wk4fixsum95c.jpg

kyr3tf4ua9qo.jpg

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @ehmora said:

> Nice bag! What putter head cover is that in the first picture of the June 6th '19 update?

The Miami Vice cover (at least that's what I call it). It's one of the covers that TaylorMade staff had access to during the Tour's Florida swing this past spring. They released a handful online, but I believe they sold out within 30 seconds or so.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post