Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

I just got my M5 today and I honestly can't see how the hell you can hit that part of the club unless you take a divot with your driver. If you're one to slam your club down after a bad tee shot, I'd probably avoid that with this club.

After a week or so, these are my thoughts as well. I just dont see how you could do it. That being said, IMO, its a terrible design, doesnt seem to add anything at all unless a simulation showed that it increased the aerodynamics.

BUT - I've also been around a while and I feel like this happens with some OEM club or another every during release season. There are always a handful of reports about...something happening. I caved in the face of an RBZ 3 wood back in the day. Called TM and I had a replacement in my hand in less than 48 hours.

I will say this, I've used plastic tees for the last ten years or so (Epochs or Prides). If this does happen and if TM admits its because of the tees - two huge ifs BTW - it will go down as one of the biggest laughingstocks in recent memory.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I just got my M5 today and I honestly can't see how the hell you can hit that part of the club unless you take a divot with your driver. If you're one to slam your club down after a bad tee shot, I'd probably avoid that with this club.

After a week or so, these are my thoughts as well. I just dont see how you could do it. That being said, IMO, its a terrible design, doesnt seem to add anything at all unless a simulation showed that it increased the aerodynamics.

BUT - I've also been around a while and I feel like this happens with some OEM club or another every during release season. There are always a handful of reports about...something happening. I caved in the face of an RBZ 3 wood back in the day. Called TM and I had a replacement in my hand in less than 48 hours.

I will say this, I've used plastic tees for the last ten years or so (Epochs or Prides). If this does happen and if TM admits its because of the tees - two huge ifs BTW - it will go down as one of the biggest laughingstocks in recent memory.

Agreed. Did you see picture above? Just one of the Tour pictures from this week. That is not from hitting a simulator tee or Indoor mat tee.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Agreed. Did you see picture above? Just one of the Tour pictures from this week. That is not from hitting a simulator tee or Indoor mat tee.

I really cant overly concern myself with what happens to a tour head being swung by a tour player. I avg 108 ss wth the driver so tour swings are at least 10-15 mph higher than mine. The likelihood of me doing something to a club that a tour guy does is bordering on zero. Plus its impossible to say without knowing exactly who it was, what happened, how long they had the club etc.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

That’s not happening because of swing speed. It’s happening because the tee is jamming into that overlapping lip. I bet that lip will be reinforced or removed all together or this will continue to happen. It’s in the design not the materials or craftsmanship. Problem is I’m guessing that lip is there in the first place to prevent tees from jamming into the weight rail.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

That’s not happening because of swing speed. It’s happening because the tee is jamming into that overlapping lip. I bet that lip will be reinforced or removed all together or this will continue to happen. It’s in the design not the materials or craftsmanship. Problem is I’m guessing that lip is there in the first place to prevent tees from jamming into the weight rail.

That’s correct. Pic above is a tour head. So no doubt it’s not simulator tee involved.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Look at all the Tour WITB. These guys hit hundreds if not thousands of balls and none of the M5’s in the pics show this damage. Sure, it breaks, they get a new one and so on. I still believe the root cause of the carbon breakage is abuse.

http://www.golfwrx.c...8#entry18567688

There are a lot of people in total denial on how bad this is gonna be to TM. The design is a mess.......I would expect in due time 50-70% of all M5's sold will have this issue if the owner actually plays a lot of golf. That number will go up exponentially if the golfer spends time at the drive range with Mats on Concrete.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I really cant overly concern myself with what happens to a tour head being swung by a tour player. I avg 108 ss wth the driver so tour swings are at least 10-15 mph higher than mine. The likelihood of me doing something to a club that a tour guy does is bordering on zero. Plus its impossible to say without knowing exactly who it was, what happened, how long they had the club etc.

The PGA Tour average is 5MPH faster than yours, and with the guys swinging 120+ that means there's plenty of guys swinging your swing speed on tour. You mentioned you caved a RBZ 3 wood, pros do that. It almost seems like you're going out of your way to say this is a non issue for TM, when the photographic evidence is saying something else.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

That's not happening because of swing speed. It's happening because the tee is jamming into that overlapping lip. I bet that lip will be reinforced or removed all together or this will continue to happen. It's in the design not the materials or craftsmanship. Problem is I'm guessing that lip is there in the first place to prevent tees from jamming into the weight rail.

That's correct. Pic above is a tour head. So no doubt it's not simulator tee involved.

That head belongs to a section pro, not a regular tour pro. Who's to say he isn't practicing out of a hitting bay periodically using mat with one of those fiberbuilt tees?

Not saying that's the case, but just because it's a tour head does not imply a range tee isn't involved.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

This is a problem folks I don’t care how it happens (even though it’s definitely a tee). It’s a design flaw plain and simple. I would expect it to be corrected however.

Very Interesting theory there Ben. Maybe they ADDED that stupid little flap....that does look oddly out of place....because tees were getting jammed up in that track after impact during some initial prototype testing.

They tried to fix one problem and inadvertently created a new one. Hummmm.

The PGA Tour average is 5MPH faster than yours, and with the guys swinging 120+ that means there's plenty of guys swinging your swing speed on tour. You mentioned you caved a RBZ 3 wood, pros do that. It almost seems like you're going out of your way to say this is a non issue for TM, when the photographic evidence is saying something else.

I dont think I said anything of the sort. In fact I think I said if this turns out to be an issue for TM it will be one of the biggest laughingstocks in recent memory. Thats actually what I said.

BTW what "evidence" are we talking about? All I'm saying is so far I've seen a couple of pictures and a couple of stories about issues. Thats a far cry from being a 50% failure rate.

That's not happening because of swing speed. It's happening because the tee is jamming into that overlapping lip. I bet that lip will be reinforced or removed all together or this will continue to happen. It's in the design not the materials or craftsmanship. Problem is I'm guessing that lip is there in the first place to prevent tees from jamming into the weight rail.

Completely disagree with...the combination of ideas here. If the tee>lip is what the issue is, what you are saying is that the force the average amatuer puts on it with a 90 mph swing speed imparts the same "damage" on that lip that a tour guy with a 120mph swing speed does. And I strongly disagree with that. If that is in fact the issue, its only natural the higher swing speed guys are going to do more damage to that lip.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

No, I’m not saying force or “speed” has anything to do with it. Im saying the tee is naturally ending up there through impact. Haven’t you ever notice the lines a white tee will make across the sole of a driver?

No, I'm not saying force or "speed" has anything to do with it. Im saying the tee is naturally ending up there through impact. Haven't you ever notice the lines a white tee will make across the sole of a driver?

No I've never noticed those lines, tell me more.

If we agree that the tee>lip is the problem, I dont know how you could argue that speed has nothing to do with the potential potency of the damage. If that is your contention, we will have to agree to disagree.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

The exposed lip or whatever you want to call it is just barely on the heel side of the clubhead, so I think it's a huge stretch to say that it's hard to see how anyone can hit that part of the club. This is just bad design and it's going to be a big problem if they don't update the design and reinforce that area. It seems like they should have stopped the carbon fiber material similarly to how it is on the toe side of the head. I don't understand how they didn't foresee this as a problem -- even if it may not be a big issue for pros (and the pic at the top of this page shows that's some of them also are seeing issues), their business is selling clubs to regular golfers, and many of them aren't pro or scratch level players who rarely mis-hit a ball. A club that has a piece that breaks if you mis-hit a ball or use a particular type of tee is simply not going to be acceptable to consumers.

Additionally, it's a minor consideration for most people, but some people do also hit driver off the deck on occasion, and with this design flaw, that's a recipe for disaster.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I can't believe we are still arguing this. Its a design problem, shouldn't happen on a mat or a golf course, end of story. It will have to be addressed.

G400 Lst 8.5, Tour AD TP 6X, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 Tour Ad TP 6X, Aldila Rogue 125 msi 60X
Tour Edge CBX 3 woods, Atmos Blue TS 7X, Kai'li 70X, Diamana BF70X
Tour Edge CBX 5 woods, Kai'li 80X, Diamana BF70X
718 Ap2's, Project X LZ 6.5 ssx1
Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
Odyssey #7 putter.
1 bad a** yamaha drive golf cart on 14's.

The exposed lip or whatever you want to call it is just barely on the heel side of the clubhead, so I think it's a huge stretch to say that it's hard to see how anyone can hit that part of the club. This is just bad design and it's going to be a big problem if they don't update the design and reinforce that area. It seems like they should have stopped the carbon fiber material similarly to how it is on the toe side of the head. I don't understand how they didn't foresee this as a problem -- even if it may not be a big issue for pros (and the pic at the top of this page shows that's some of them also are seeing issues), their business is selling clubs to regular golfers, and many of them aren't pro or scratch level players who rarely mis-hit a ball. A club that has a piece that breaks if you mis-hit a ball or use a particular type of tee is simply not going to be acceptable to consumers.

Additionally, it's a minor consideration for most people, but some people do also hit driver off the deck on occasion, and with this design flaw, that's a recipe for disaster.

Yes it's on the heel side, but it's elevated away from the face of the club (if the club is on the ground), it's not flush with the bottom of the face.

If it's a widespread problem they'll either address it by a redesign or just keep replacing the heads.

Exactly, & there have been reports from members at NUMEROUS Golf Galaxy/Club Champions of this issue appearing. I saw it with my own eyes on BOTH M5's at the GG in Pittsburgh.

Also No one is really talking about the overlap on the weight track when is literally cracking right down the ridge of the track.

There are 2 issues not 1.....look at the pic provided on the 1st page & you will see the crack along the ridge of the front/back track.....that is exactly what I saw at GG.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Yes it's on the heel side, but it's elevated away from the face of the club (if the club is on the ground), it's not flush with the bottom of the face.

If it's a widespread problem they'll either address it by a redesign or just keep replacing the heads.

It's a surface that is extremely likely to come into contact with a tee, though, as evidenced by the tee streaks you see on the bottom of any driver, so for the design to have an exposed ridge that can't handle the force of the impact that it undergoes when being used for its intended purpose is a pretty big problem, and it's hard to understand how it made it into production like this.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

has anyone who has a cracked m5 head contacted tm about the problem? as I posted earlier tm customer service told me this issue has not been reported to them.is this tm's way of deflecting a problem plead ignorance and keep selling product. my m5 delivery date is feb 5, not excited as I once was about this purchase.

Unless you have a warranty claim they have no incentive or obligation to inform you of this issue. If you offer them a serial number and a photo that's another enchilada.

has anyone who has a cracked m5 head contacted tm about the problem? as I posted earlier tm customer service told me this issue has not been reported to them.is this tm's way of deflecting a problem plead ignorance and keep selling product. my m5 delivery date is feb 5, not excited as I once was about this purchase.

Nobody has cracked heads besides the retailers with cracked demos, and section pro playing in Phoenix this week. There's nothing for TM customer service to say at this point. That said, TM is definitely aware of the situation.

My M5 arrives soon and I am still extremely excited about the new club. None of the heads I saw at the Kingdom had this issue and most of them had been subjected to a bunch of usage by the time we visited. Once all the smoke clears, I think we'll find out this problem really was mainly caused by the hard range tee people have talked about. If I'm wrong and it becomes an issue in real world usage, I have no doubt TaylorMade customer service will handle the issue if it happens on my club.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

It's a surface that is extremely likely to come into contact with a tee, though, as evidenced by the tee streaks you see on the bottom of any driver, so for the design to have an exposed ridge that can't handle the force of the impact that it undergoes when being used for its intended purpose is a pretty big problem, and it's hard to understand how it made it into production like this.

I agree. After reading this thread I went to a GG and took a close look at the T rail and the carbon fiber jutting out in the front will be an issue...All anyone has to do is go over and look in the used rack and see the bottom of a driver takes some whacks...If I was a gambler I'd put money on a bunch of broken carbon fiber pieces in this area. Guess that's the price you pay when you push boundaries. Hats off to TM for trying... Good luck

Its simply a carbon fiber sticker overlay on the titanium body.

Other than looks, its really nothing. Pretty sure TM will come out with something to remedy the issue

lol..like buying a car and the vinyl dash has a scratch in it and the salesman saying its only cosmetic it won't hurt the performance of the car at all....no thanks TM.

Question: If TM comes out with something do they have to resubmit to the USGA for it to be a conforming driver or will it be considered illegal? Major SNAFU from one of the big boys. This is going to be interesting to follow.

Carbon Fiber on the sole of a driver...what could possibly go wrong??….Well, you see what happened was.... I can see the excuses coming... Someone's getting fired. Might be the beginning of the end for CF on sole plates. RIP CF 2019. Profits is what it's all about and TM is saying Holy s*&! Who approved This!!

It’s simply a carbon fiber sticker overlay on the titanium body overhanging flange.

Other than looks, it’s really nothing. Pretty sure TM will come out with something to remedy the issue

Normally if something cosmetic is isolated so be it. But this particular area is not going to hold up well. I’ve analyzed this edge for a while and it’s not going to be a simple fix. Cosmetic maybe or maybe not. I have zero skin in the game it looks like a nice driver but I will be interested in following this topic. And no I’m not an engineer but my family has owned a CNC/machine shop and racing team for a million years. I see this structurally on small parts in race cars. It’s always the lowest common denominator.