2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Club champion fitting

jut111

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the fittings ever actually take the whole time to complete?

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

As stated, yes. They blocked 2 hours for just half of the bag (irons), and I went 2.5 hours on the 6 iron alone. Probably hit about 100-125 balls total. About 12-15 warm-ups with my gamer, then 5-10 shots each with my gamer, several shaft options (until we landed on a shaft), and then 6 other heads with that shaft. Factor in the time to quickly review the numbers after each shot, swapping out shafts/heads, adjusting lie angles, and general discussion/Q&A along the way...the time adds up.

To be fair, I had a LOT of questions and wanted to know a lot of the *why* behind what we were seeing and what he was recommending, so that's why we went a little long and didn't get to the wedges during the iron session. I'm expecting another 2.5 to 3 hours for driver, 3W, hybrid, wedges and putter session.

Edited to fix errors.

As stated, yes. They blocked 2 hours for just half of the bag (irons), and I went 2.5 hours on the 6 iron alone. Probably hit about 100-125 balls total. About 12-15 warm-ups with my gamer, then 5-10 shots each with my gamer, several shaft options (until we landed on a shaft), and then 6 other heads with that shaft. Factor in the time to quickly review the numbers after each shot, swapping out shafts/heads, adjusting lie angles, and general discussion/Q&A along the way...the time adds up.

To be fair, I had a LOT of questions and wanted to know a lot of the *why* behind what we were seeing and what he was recommending, so that's why we went a little long and didn't get to the wedges during the iron session. I'm expecting another 2.5 to 3 hours for driver, 3W, hybrid, wedges and putter session.

Edited to fix errors.

That time is figured into the estimated time though, correct? So if a full bag says it takes 4 hours to fit, if we don't finish in that time we just reschedule the rest of the fitting at a later date.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Did the full bag fitting yesterday, first time in a CC. Really pleased with the experience and got so many questions answered. I found that the factors we discussed were very different than what you get at the big box store. I play off scratch and never realized how much more ball speed I could get with the proper swing weight. With a slightly lighter shaft than my DG S300 (Oban ct 115) and a slightly heavier 6 iron head (I play s55s) my 6-iron ball speed went from 123mph to 131mph.

We spent the first 1.5 hours playing with this and nailing down the Oban ct 115 shafts as ideal for me. It's counter balanced and what was interesting is that when we moved to Driver shaft we figured out a counter balanced shaft worked better for me there as well so I'm having them throw that new shaft into my Driver.

I didn't want to spend any time on wedges so I spent the remaining time figuring out a driving iron and doing the putter analysis. Putter was eye opening..... figured out the blade style I use (Bettinardi BB8) is exact opposite of what they would recommend based on my stroke, which is shorter and more strait back strait through. I'm not going to buy a face balanced mallet yet but they did adjust the loft I had which was 0 degrees to 1.5. I'm not sure if it came at 0 or that was from one too many putter slams.... Balls rolls much better off the face now.

Wealth of info and I had a great fitter. As has been stated their prices are absolutely ridiculous but you're paying for a build that's 1000% to spec with the data to back it up. I started small with just a new Driver shaft and driving iron. You have to decide whether the gains you see with a more optimum setup are worth the coin you would need to drop.

My best takeaway was finding out counter balanced shafts produce better results for me in irons and woods. Completely changes which equipment I'll be looking for in the future. I didn't even know there were counter balanced shafts before this.....

A 2.5 hour iron fit just sounds awful- I'd rather go to the dentist!

If you let a fitter do their job, don't try to change your swing and stay in your lane, it shouldn't take nearly that long.

Agreed!! Spending 2.5 hours on irons is a bit much! Aren't their time slots close to 3.5 hours for everything? Basically you are going to spend double the amount of time there and really not buy anything?? If most of their customers do this they won't be in business long.

A 2.5 hour iron fit just sounds awful- I'd rather go to the dentist!

If you let a fitter do their job, don't try to change your swing and stay in your lane, it shouldn't take nearly that long.

Agreed!! Spending 2.5 hours on irons is a bit much! Aren't their time slots close to 3.5 hours for everything? Basically you are going to spend double the amount of time there and really not buy anything?? If most of their customers do this they won't be in business long.

Guys - I included in my post that I spent a fair amount of time in discussion with the fitter during the session. Yes, I could have finished the iron session in much less time, but he was very accommodating after I told him *up front* that I'd have a lot of questions about why he was selecting certain shafts/heads and what the TM numbers were telling us.

As for my time spent hitting balls, I can easily spend 1.5-2 hours on the range hitting balls, so that doesn't bother me. This session wasn't me modifying my swing or turning it into a practice session. It was 5-10 normal swings with several different combos, with some discussion mixed in.

Ultimately, the fitter had the time open on his schedule and we used it to make sure I was comfortable with the process and the information being generated. And who's to say I'm not buying anything from them? I'll make that decision when we have all the specs and prices compiled.

So...what's the problem with my e, and why are people so quick to impose their judgment based on what they feel is right for them?

I am thinking of doing an iron fitting next month. If I go in with a upfront attitude about just there to get the correct shaft and head combo and having someone else build it how receptive are they to that idea?

toy cannon, be as up-front as you feel you need to be, but my opinion is that there's no need to discuss that before the fitting. While I don't have direct knowledge of their business model, there are enough people who've posted about their fitting experiences to assume that they know that not everyone is going to buy what they recommend from them (or buy anything at all).

They'll print out specs and prices for the equipment they recommend, and you can just tell them something like (1) it's more than you want to spend on new equipment and you'll explore other sources, (2) you want to spend some time thinking it over, or (3) whatever else you feel like saying

What If LensCrafters was operated like this ?

Go have an eye exam (club fitting)

Find your eye glass prescription (Specs of Club)

Sit down at the chair with the fitting person , adjust your glasses to your face ( bending irons or putter )

Then you are like “peace! I’m out!”

Go buy glasses online. Haha

Yep. I got my specs, really wanted to at least throw CC a bone and build part of the bag, but the up charge is serious. Going through Discount Dans and Will People's, saved a huge sum

I have a full club building setup in the garage as well, so I can always tweak SW, loft/lie later.

FYI costco is great for glasses.

I am thinking of doing an iron fitting next month. If I go in with a upfront attitude about just there to get the correct shaft and head combo and having someone else build it how receptive are they to that idea?

They are offering a service, and the fitting is not cheap. The fact that they clearly state you get a printout of everything you were fit into, to me, means they fully understand that the transaction could end there.

They are offering a service, and the fitting is not cheap. The fact that they clearly state you get a printout of everything you were fit into, to me, means they fully understand that the transaction could end there.

Ding ding ding!

Sit down at the chair with the fitting person , adjust your glasses to your face ( bending irons or putter )

If LensCrafters *chose* to operate that way, it would be because they could still make a reasonable profit that way (assuming they charged for eye exams). Grocery stores sell certain items at cost or at a loss because it gets shoppers in the door, at which time enough of them buy additional items so the store makes a profit.

If CC didn’t make money with their current model, they’d be out of business...and deservedly so. If this model didn’t work for them, they’d either charge more for fittings or require some minimum purchase after a fitting.

Basic business, dude.

If LensCrafters *chose* to operate that way, it would be because they could still make a reasonable profit that way (assuming they charged for eye exams). Grocery stores sell certain items at cost or at a loss because it gets shoppers in the door, at which time enough of them buy additional items so the store makes a profit.

If CC didn’t make money with their current model, they’d be out of business...and deservedly so. If this model didn’t work for them, they’d either charge more for fittings or require some minimum purchase after a fitting.

Basic business, dude.

Basic kick the tires model. I wonder are they franchises?

BB, I paid for a service that CC offers, plain and simple. One that they’ve presumably carefully considered and have priced at an amount that provides a fair exchange for the value delivered.

If I take a used car I’m interested in buying to a mechanic who charges $100 to inspect it and then says it requires $1,000 worth of repairs, am I cheating him by not getting said repairs done there because I can get those same repairs done elsewhere for $750? He’s priced his inspection service at $100, and that’s what I pay him. Anything beyond that is a completely separate (potential) transaction, and he has to know that not all customers are willing to pay a 33% premium for his work.

Oh, and although I wonder what being a franchise would have to do with this topic, here’s your answer directly from CC’s website: “All stores are company-owned and contain the same technology, the same demo clubs, a very experienced staff, the same club building and repair capability…the same everything.” Amazing what a 5-second Google search yields.

Why does it seem like you’re trying hard to create a problem with their business where there doesn’t appear to be one? They sell a service....I bought that service. End of story.

This is a fascinating thread and topic. I have heard that there are multiple ways to buy clubs from CC. You can go with their all in, super expensive, them building every thing way, or you can order from the OEM's and have them pull everything apart, and rebuild it, which saves a decent amount of money. Then you can have them order straight from the OEM, as if you were walking into your local dicks sporting good. I would assume this is true, but not sure. If so, why would you not buy from CC instead of buying from dicks or the Superstore. At least CC will help you for the most part. The times I have bought from a big box store they have been zero help at all once I walk out that door. The one thing is is very consistent on these threads is the fact that the fitters at CC are pretty awesome and go out of their way to help everyone.

Finished second half of my full bag fitting at CC. Ended up with recommendations for driver, irons and wedges. My 3W performed as well as everything they tried for me, and my 2006 putter is a perfect fit for my putting stroke (which is why it’s the oldest club in my bag). We abandoned hybrids because I couldn’t put a good swing on the hybrids for some reason. Maybe a little gassed after driver and 3 wood swings.

I’ll have some decisions to make in terms of where to start in acquiring new equipment, as well as where I’ll get it from. All-in for the recommended clubs, shafts and grips, their prices are about 20% higher than retail, and their prices include installation labor as well as PUREing the driver shaft (required for woods, optional for irons).

I have to say they’re not as high as I thought they’d be vs. retail prices. I just have to explore what I could get equipment for through various sources and then determine how much value the extra CC $$ would have for me. For instance, I could buy the driver head alone and save $70 since CC would buy it with a shaft that’s just going to get pulled in favor of the recommended shaft. Likewise, I could source the recommended shaft with adapter and grip for $70 less than their price - that’s a net $40 difference on the shaft if you account for the $30 PUREing fee.

A lot to think about, and I’m excited to get started on some new stuff in 2019.

Krt:

- TM M5 9* w/full fade weight bias and w/Fuji Speeder Evo II 661 stiff

- Mizuno MP18 SC w/KBS Tour V stiff; standard length and lie

- Vokey SM7 wedges: 52.12, 56.10, 60.12; stock shafts (might put KBS-V into 52*)

- Installing all Golf Pride New Decade Midsize grips as per my current clubs

- Hybrid still TBD

Keeping my TM SLDR 3W and Odyssey White Hot #1 putter, just adding a Superstroke 3.0 grip to putter

Krt:

- Titleist Vokey wedges: 52/12, 56/10, 60/12; stock shafts

- Hybrid still TBD

Keeping my TM SLDR 3W and Odyssey White Hot #1 putter, just adding a Superstroke 3.0 grip to putter

These are very close to my specs. Awesome review.

• TSi2 9*, G4 HZRDUS Black 60s
  • SIM2 Ti @ 17*, LinQ Purple 70S
  • TS2 21* + 24* HZRDUS Bl Smoke 80s
  • T100S 6-PW, TTDG S300
  • SM9 52* 56* 60* TTDG S300
  • White Hot OG 7 Bird 

Krt:

- Titleist Vokey wedges: 52/12, 56/10, 60/12; stock shafts

- Hybrid still TBD

Cool, debunks the myth that CC only fits ppl into Oban iron shafts and accra wood shafts =)

Both my buddy and I were recommended to play the same iron shafts in the wedges, so interesting they have you in the stock DG wedge shaft

Krt - I agree about what I expected for wood shaft recommendations. I was expecting something REALLY exotic. I was really trying to not focus on the shaft labels so it wouldn't affect my perception, but pretty much everything he had me try was from Aldila, Fuji or Diamana. To be fair, the Evo II is still more than $400, but that also includes installation and mandatory PUREing...so the driver ends up costing more than $1000. I know it could be worse, but that's still a bit stiff (hah!).

RE wedge shafts, that's a valid comment, too. It did come up as a possible suggestion, but I'm more inclined to roll with the stock shafts and see how they do. If anything, I could see putting a KBS-V in the 52* because I mainly use that as a full-swing gap wedge. I could see how having the same swing profile could help there. But, the 56* & 60* are almost always used for partial-swing shots, and I don't think it would have the same impact.

The Evo II was the stock shaft in the JPX 900 driver so can find pull outs very resonably priced.

I brought up the same thing with my wedges, that I rarely hit a full 54 or 58. Fitter said yeah but sometimes that shot fits the bill (I agree, maybe once a round). My miss is left and the iron shafts I fit into really mitigated that miss,so I'm going to give them a try in the wedges.