2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade M5 cracking already ???

Here comes the Boom

I can't believe we are still arguing this. Its a design problem, shouldn't happen on a mat or a golf course, end of story. It will have to be addressed.

Some people in here are in positions to down play this, that's why we're still arguing this. Anyone with a brain realizes this is a design flaw.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

I can't believe we are still arguing this. Its a design problem, shouldn't happen on a mat or a golf course, end of story. It will have to be addressed.

Some people in here are in positions to down play this, that's why we're still arguing this. Anyone with a brain realizes this is a design flaw.

It's a little suspect that this topic was moved to the clubmaking forum, which gets a lot less traffic than the equipment forum. This is about a newly released club from a major manufacturer with a design flaw resulting in damage to the clubhead (cosmetic or not -- that's not totally clear), and it's not exactly anything that someone is going to remedy in their workshop.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I know we initially sold out of our first run of WRX-branded tinfoil hats but this forum is always where topics like this have gone. I dont move any threads like this for any reason.

In fact here are two TM failure threads I've started in the past and they are all in this forum.

RBZ 3 wood cracked

http://www.golfwrx.c...d/#entry6404995

RSI irons chipped/failed

http://www.golfwrx.c...age__hl__ irons

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Taylormade R&D is very consistent with making cracked woods. Short product cycle probably doesn’t help resolve the issue either

I think it’s been underestimated how many people know about the issue, not just wrx. It’s all over golf shops in my area and word is spreading further.

In my opinion the first batch is a wash and should be taken off shelves. Figure it out and make a driver that doesn’t immediately break. All the distance, twistface it’s all useless with durability issues like this. I hope the next revolution will be a return to proven designs and principles. Hanging carbon portions were a disaster most elementary kids could have forecasted. Wonder if they’ll be some firings over this

Funniest part is how mute TM has gone ghost in the m5/m6 thread.

They were hyping people daily with their x sleeps and teaser pics. Now it’s money time and they are nowhere to be seen.

* I also believe this should be in the equipment section.

It's a little suspect that this topic was moved to the clubmaking forum, which gets a lot less traffic than the equipment forum. This is about a newly released club from a major manufacturer with a design flaw resulting in damage to the clubhead (cosmetic or not -- that's not totally clear), and it's not exactly anything that someone is going to remedy in their workshop.

100% agree

I hope the next revolution will be a return to proven designs and principles.

So far I have heard no good reason for going to this design and not just leave the front of the track like the M3 was. Unless it is covering something up - like a seam we dont know about or some other design aspect - t seems like a change just for change's sake. Which IMO is never a good idea.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

TM lost a lot of good people over the years due to a toxic culture and now we are seeing the result. I like the look of the M5 driver a lot but looking at the sole you can see where problems could arise and why cracks can happen. I hope they don't have a huge issue here but it looks like there will be. TM could be in for another sale as they are clearly having financial issues.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Even though the OEM's are great about replacing, it still leaves you without a driver for a couple of weeks while they get you a new one. It gets pretty old after a while coming from a guy who cracked 3 FT-9's.

I cracked an M1. Called TM, I bought it directly from them. They sent me an M3 with 2-3day shipping. Once I had the M3 in hand, then I used the same box to return the M1. At least for my experience, they did not require my driver first. They sent me theirs so I had a club while I sent mine in.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Even though the OEM's are great about replacing, it still leaves you without a driver for a couple of weeks while they get you a new one. It gets pretty old after a while coming from a guy who cracked 3 FT-9's.

I cracked an M1. Called TM, I bought it directly from them. They sent me an M3 with 2-3day shipping. Once I had the M3 in hand, then I used the same box to return the M1. At least for my experience, they did not require my driver first. They sent me theirs so I had a club while I sent mine in.

The FT9 was during the days of glued hosels so they wanted the entire club back. I cracked a Titleist 917 F2 fairway and it took like a month to get it back.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

So if that little piece were to break completely free from the driver, would the weight fall out from that front position?

I don't think that part is really holding anything in. It looks like that piece of overhanging carbon fiber or whatever it is covers part of the track where the weight moves and is secured, but the area that's getting damaged doesn't appear to have any part in keeping the weight in.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

So if that little piece were to break completely free from the driver, would the weight fall out from that front position?

It shouldn't affect weight retention. The weights themselves work as a clamping mechanism to tighten against the lip/track they ride on. The piece in question just seems like a debris shield of some sort.

No one at any OEM or retail merchant contacted us about moving this at all. We did (and move them) at our own discretion. In this case, it's to prevent clogging up the Equipment Forum only from a single club cracking. That stuff happens all the time.

I don't know how most search, but I'm constantly looking at topics I follow or replies to my topics/posts, not navigating from forum to forum.

I suppose we could have "OEM Equipment issues" subforum but hey that would probably just redirect to Twitter. :)

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

No one at any OEM or retail merchant contacted us about moving this at all. We did (and move them) at our own discretion. In this case, it's to prevent clogging up the Equipment Forum only from a single club cracking. That stuff happens all the time.

I don't know how most search, but I'm constantly looking at topics I follow or replies to my topics/posts, not navigating from forum to forum.

I suppose we could have "OEM Equipment issues" subforum but hey that would probably just redirect to Twitter. :)

You can't be serious about "A Single Club Cracking" it's happening all over the place.....I saw 2 demos with my own eyes at GG in Pittsburgh!! Another member saw 2 demos cracked at GG in Columbus Ohio, another member in another location saw the exact same thing.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

You can't be serious about "A Single Club Cracking" it's happening all over the place.....I saw 2 demos with my own eyes at GG in Pittsburgh!! Another member saw 2 demos cracked at GG in Columbus Ohio, another member in another location saw the exact same thing.

Yes. But, when this thread was started and subsequently moved, this was one club. I think the thread should be merged with the existing M5/M6 thread as the subject is now being discussed in both.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

"In this case, it's to prevent clogging up the Equipment Forum only from a single club cracking. That stuff happens all the time. " I love this site, truly. But I am not sure it was purposeful, or just not fully thought out when you typed it. But these statements only serve to hurt your case for stating you are not down playing the issue. Again, we are talking about the bottom of a golf club cracking, not war or famine. It is not that major of a deal, but in the context of a golf forum, the best golf forum, it is a big deal. To say we only have "single" club and to almost be dismissive of it is condescending to the people that support this forum. I had an M2 (2016) that cracked at the seam twice, Taylor Made was awesome! New drivers in and shortly. It happens! This on the other hand "seems" to be something a bit more wide spread. People are reporting this from demos in many locations. We can all blame it on user abuse, but again I think that is just attempting to dismiss something. I am a Taylor Made fan, I have no ill will toward the company, I am a Tiger fanboy, I want this company to succeed. They make great product, this only benefits me the player and consumer. This situation, is something that seems to be bigger, not bigger than war or famine, but in golf, potentially a big deal. Just my take.

"In this case, it's to prevent clogging up the Equipment Forum only from a single club cracking. That stuff happens all the time. " I love this site, truly. But I am not sure it was purposeful, or just not fully thought out when you typed it. But these statements only serve to hurt your case for stating you are not down playing the issue. Again, we are talking about the bottom of a golf club cracking, not war or famine. It is not that major of a deal, but in the context of a golf forum, the best golf forum, it is a big deal. To say we only have "single" club and to almost be dismissive of it is condescending to the people that support this forum. I had an M2 (2016) that cracked at the seam twice, Taylor Made was awesome! New drivers in and shortly. It happens! This on the other hand "seems" to be something a bit more wide spread. People are reporting this from demos in many locations. We can all blame it on user abuse, but again I think that is just attempting to dismiss something. I am a Taylor Made fan, I have no ill will toward the company, I am a Tiger fanboy, I want this company to succeed. They make great product, this only benefits me the player and consumer. This situation, is something that seems to be bigger, not bigger than war or famine, but in golf, potentially a big deal. Just my take.

Exactly & it's not like it's TM haters speaking on this, look at my WITB I haven't hit anything but TM Drivers and 3 Woods for 10 years......

I just want to know if they will FIX this major design flaw before i consider spending 550 dollars on a new driver........

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and get over themselves. HipCheck is going to give you the most honest take you are going to get. Any insinuation or statement or even remote hint that we are being bought off by TM to move these threads is not only personally insulting but it is parnoid crap of the highest order.

So, enough is enough as far as that goes.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Exactly & it's not like it's TM haters speaking on this, look at my WITB I haven't hit anything but TM Drivers and 3 Woods for 10 years......

I just want to know if they will FIX this major design flaw before i consider spending 550 dollars on a new driver........

Does anyone think TaylorMade won't make their club good if they buy an M5 and this does happen to it?

Seriously, what do they stand to gain from downplaying the issue? Are you insinuating that they are in TM's pocket? I highly doubt that's the case. Out of any golf forum I have frequented, GolfWRX is by far the least biased.

I think people need to quit looking too deep at a simple thread move. Greg even posted a picture of a broken head from a tour event. If there was a grand conspiracy at play, that picture never would have made it to the site.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Does anyone think TaylorMade won't make their club good if they buy an M5 and this does happen to it?

You are missing the point, it's a major design flaw until the flaw is addressed it will continue to happen time and time again.....I don't want to spend 550 on a driver that I'm going to have to RMA a dozen times in a season.

Dude, the topic isn't locked. We're all still here. Feel free to add pics of the clubs in question. Let's see if it's a widespread problem or a "Golf Galaxy Demos in Pittsburgh" problem.

AGAIN, THE TOPIC AIN'T LOCKED.

Doesn't anyone here really think TM wouldn't replace a club under warranty?

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

Your missing the point, it's a major design flaw until the flaw is address it will continue to happen time and time again.....I don't want to spend 550 on a driver that I'm going to have to RMA a dozen times in a season.

I just personally think we need to wait and see what actually happens once the retail launch has occurred. No one knows that this is going to happen time and time again with every club, certain clubs, certain batch, etc. No one in this forum designed this club to know what's going to happen. And it doesn't appear to be an issue that,if it does occur, would affect playability immediately. And to add to that point, I'm a retailer of clubs. Where customers would have to deal with this for their own/one potential club, I'd have to deal with it for every club that I sell that it occurs to. And even I'm not concerned about that. Clubs have issues all the time. I saw quite a few Epics and Rogues crack. I saw the initial issues when the G400s launched and there were a few problems with those. Manufacturers deal with this stuff all the time.

Absolutely, I believe they will take care of it. I am not sure that is the point in this case. All mfg have issues with club failure that get replaced, no doubt. My take, and I believe the rest of those following this or commenting on this is that this seems to be a wider reaching problem than the normal percentage of mfg club failings. This appears to be an actual club issue, design issue, possibly something that will be affecting way more than the normal percentage of clubs that a mfg would plan or account for. That is what appears to make this a bigger issue.

Also to address the statement from the Marshal, I am not attacking anyone or accusing anyone of being bought to move a topic. I could care less where this lands, it is going to keep getting views. My take was only to address the fact of an appearance of the dismissal of this forums supporters concerning this issue. This is a forum, and the only thing we are judged on is our words and whether or not we are that guy who offers $100 less on a new BST listing the second it is posted, and then is put out when the seller declines. lol. I am sure HipCheck is a great guy and my only concern was with this statement.

I just personally think we need to wait and see what actually happens once the retail launch has occurred.

You must be new here lol. So far I've seen one attributed picture from a tour head - and I dont even know who hit it - and then a bunch of second hand and third hand information. And its not that I dont believe those just right off the bat. But there are, I dont know, maybe a thousand steps between this and a "50% to 70%" failure rate or declaration of major design flaw or "bigger issue". Retail release literally just happened.

All I know is that personally, with mine, I have seen zero issues with mine so far, using plastic tees stuck into a rubber range matt. I have hit maybe 200 balls with it. If mine starts to crack or I do have issues - see my previous threads - believe me, this forum will be the first to know.

Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Absolutely, I believe they will take care of it. I am not sure that is the point in this case. All mfg have issues with club failure that get replaced, no doubt. My take, and I believe the rest of those following this or commenting on this is that this seems to be a wider reaching problem than the normal percentage of mfg club failings. This appears to be an actual club issue, design issue, possibly something that will be affecting way more than the normal percentage of clubs that a mfg would plan or account for. That is what appears to make this a bigger issue.

Also to address the statement from the Marshal, I am not attacking anyone or accusing anyone of being bought to move a topic. I could care less where this lands, it is going to keep getting views. My take was only to address the fact of an appearance of the dismissal of this forums supporters concerning this issue. This is a forum, and the only thing we are judged on is our words and whether or not we are that guy who offers $100 less on a new BST listing the second it is posted, and then is put out when the seller declines. lol. I am sure HipCheck is a great guy and my only concern was with this statement.

Well said. I'm awesome! :D

Ha, just kidding. No offense taken. Our Marshals like dcmidnight work hard here. We just try to keep some organization, which is very different than keeping "order". Not trying to censor. You guys are free to post.

This ain't our first rodeo. Remember Adams Super XTD? Oh man. Weight ports flying off. If I remember, cracked heads. Huge production delays. Fun times.