Left hand low commitment

C_rad

LHL for 35 years or more. I can't even begin to feel normal if I try to switch to conventional.

I think I went from pathetic to pretty average. In that I mean like everyone I get hot sometimes and cold sometimes. I hit the ball well today and putting really really held me back. I had 2 birdies from inside 5 feet and missed 4 or 5 more between 2 feet and 10 feet. Never going low putting like that and pretty frustrated right now. I looked up about every other putt pulling them left. Never felt like I hit the middle of the putter face the entire round :-((

SO BAD today!!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Well I've tried lhl before on the practice green but it felt weird as $#/+! I just couldn't commit to it. I've also tried a pencil grip, claw grip and putting left handed, but lately my putting has been worse than usual. So today, I went lhl. Stuck with it for all 18 holes. I putted great! No 3 Jack's and shot 78; Primarily due to the putting. It still feels funky. My stroke felt awful, but the ball goes right where Im looking. Guess I'll stick with it till it doesn't work anymore. After this, I'll go to arm lock. ??

I found with left hand low I needed a longer putter and more upright lie because of the higher back shoulder

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

I've gone from traditional to sliding my low hand upward and overlapping most of my fingers onto the lead(upper). I'm righty. Trail hand's pinky, ring finger, and some of middle finger overlaps on top of lead left hand. I point my trail(low hand) index finger down the grip too. This is by far the best method for me. Left holds the putter and the 3 remaining trail fingers on the low hand impart the "hit". Strike pattern and direction are phenomenal now. If I go back to traditional or split my hands apart now, it feels like the head is all over the place cause they aren't working as one unit.

I'm not thread jacking, but rather pointing out the benefit I've noticed of "connecting" the hands more so they don't operate as a lever so much, independent of one another. Hard to manipulate the face now unless the wrists move significantly because only one hand is really holding the club now.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

16 years ago, I was using LHL as a drill during practice to improve my setup and short putt performance. At the end of the summer, I accidentlly putted LHL during my round. At the turn a friend asked, when did you start putting cross handed? It worked, so I have not stopped since.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

I've gone from traditional to sliding my low hand upward and overlapping most of my fingers onto the lead(upper). I'm righty. Trail hand's pinky, ring finger, and some of middle finger overlaps on top of lead left hand. I point my trail(low hand) index finger down the grip too. This is by far the best method for me. Left holds the putter and the 3 remaining trail fingers on the low hand impart the "hit". Strike pattern and direction are phenomenal now. If I go back to traditional or split my hands apart now, it feels like the head is all over the place cause they aren't working as one unit.

I'm not thread jacking, but rather pointing out the benefit I've noticed of "connecting" the hands more so they don't operate as a lever so much, independent of one another. Hard to manipulate the face now unless the wrists move significantly because only one hand is really holding the club now.

Pew pew

Pew pew

Yep, shootin' em right in the hole!

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

OK, we all have done it. Trying to find the perfect putter grip to make every single putt like magic.

Ive putt all my short life of 28 years with a conventional grip. Never been a great putter, but on lag putt, i was hard to beat.

Last fall, i dedicate myself to the putting part and did a full fitting to know my specs, and contract lajosi to build the perfect flat stick. Also i found out that i was using a too small putter grip (ping black) and found better results with a superstroke slimfit 2.0.

Received my putter in february and dedicate my self to try the left hand low ( we all done it after the spieth domination last year on the green). What i found is that i have a more control backswing and follow through. The putt were on line when i was praticing on my birdie ball putting foam.

The season started a month ago with unperfect green and even if i was strugling with distance control, i really stand by the left hand low.

But heres the dilemma.

When i putt with a conventional grip, i ALWAYS found the sweet spot and my distance is better than average considering the short season so far. But the backswing tempo is not perfect and teh putt dont always start on the intended line cause of the backswing. When i putt LHL, the swing tempo is awesome and controlled. The putt start on the line and find the hole more often. But i have lost the TOUCH. My distance are off. Sometimes i have a 6 foot, and i end up benn 6 foot past the hole.

For those who have tried different putting style, when or where you knew it was the right one? Im comfortable with both and having a hard time commit to one because each has his downside.

Thank you for any advice, past experience or tips you would like to share.

Have a great season

MAT.

Left hand low is the way to go!

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread. Played yesterday and did not have the best results putting. Had 36 putts and three three putts. My playing partner mentioned to me that my left wrist was cupping (right flipping) in the follow through. I blew my putts past the hole numerous times yesterday and didnt even realize that I was flipping my hands.

The LHL seems to take the wrist break out so that in theory would help with distance control?

Also do you guys have a set ball position for LHL?

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 2 weeks later...

> @AG12 said:

> Bumping this thread. Played yesterday and did not have the best results putting. Had 36 putts and three three putts. My playing partner mentioned to me that my left wrist was cupping (right flipping) in the follow through. I blew my putts past the hole numerous times yesterday and didnt even realize that I was flipping my hands.

>

> The LHL seems to take the wrist break out so that in theory would help with distance control?

>

> Also do you guys have a set ball position for LHL?

I play it a little forward of center, right about even with my heart.

> @joliver233 said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > Bumping this thread. Played yesterday and did not have the best results putting. Had 36 putts and three three putts. My playing partner mentioned to me that my left wrist was cupping (right flipping) in the follow through. I blew my putts past the hole numerous times yesterday and didnt even realize that I was flipping my hands.

> >

> > The LHL seems to take the wrist break out so that in theory would help with distance control?

> >

> > Also do you guys have a set ball position for LHL?

>

> I play it a little forward of center, right about even with my heart.

Perfect thank you!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

For those that putt LHL. Have you found a general type of putter that works best with this style? Center Shaft? Slant Neck? Plumbers Neck? Toe Hang? No Toe Hang? #9/#7 Style?

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> For those that putt LHL. Have you found a general type of putter that works best with this style? Center Shaft? Slant Neck? Plumbers Neck? Toe Hang? No Toe Hang? #9/#7 Style?

Bumping for more opinions. I find when I putt LHL I start the ball on the right line much better but my speed is off.

> @scotty_2987 said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > For those that putt LHL. Have you found a general type of putter that works best with this style? Center Shaft? Slant Neck? Plumbers Neck? Toe Hang? No Toe Hang? #9/#7 Style?

>

> Bumping for more opinions. I find when I putt LHL I start the ball on the right line much better but my speed is off.

>

I have found since posting a couple days ago that if I put the ball position a little more forward of center it really helps with the roll of the ball and distance control. Might want to give that a try if the speed is off. my .2

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @AG12 said:

> > @scotty_2987 said:

> > > @AG12 said:

> > > For those that putt LHL. Have you found a general type of putter that works best with this style? Center Shaft? Slant Neck? Plumbers Neck? Toe Hang? No Toe Hang? #9/#7 Style?

> >

> > Bumping for more opinions. I find when I putt LHL I start the ball on the right line much better but my speed is off.

> >

>

> I have found since posting a couple days ago that if I put the ball position a little more forward of center it really helps with the roll of the ball and distance control. Might want to give that a try if the speed is off. my .2

I will have to give that a try. I went back to the conventional grip for my round today and it didn’t go so well. I think I’m about to commit to LHL for good. What type of putter do you use? I normally use a flow neck blade (heavy toe hang) but I had some credit at my pro shop and picked up an odyssey 1W stroke lab (almost face balanced but not quite). It felt the best to me with the LHL stroke.

> @scotty_2987 said:

> > @AG12 said:

> > > @scotty_2987 said:

> > > > @AG12 said:

> > > > For those that putt LHL. Have you found a general type of putter that works best with this style? Center Shaft? Slant Neck? Plumbers Neck? Toe Hang? No Toe Hang? #9/#7 Style?

> > >

> > > Bumping for more opinions. I find when I putt LHL I start the ball on the right line much better but my speed is off.

> > >

> >

> > I have found since posting a couple days ago that if I put the ball position a little more forward of center it really helps with the roll of the ball and distance control. Might want to give that a try if the speed is off. my .2

>

> I will have to give that a try. I went back to the conventional grip for my round today and it didn’t go so well. I think I’m about to commit to LHL for good. What type of putter do you use? I normally use a flow neck blade (heavy toe hang) but I had some credit at my pro shop and picked up an odyssey 1W stroke lab (almost face balanced but not quite). It felt the best to me with the LHL stroke.

Ya the first round I tried LHL it was a little shaky. But if you stick with it (I have since 5/22/19) it really is a game changer. I have a slant neck Spider X. It has about 30* of toe hang. I have heard that less toe hang the better for LHL but the Spider seems to hold up really well with that putting style.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Wow, how have I missed this thread? I have experimented with LHL for a long time. About 15 years ago I was going to really commit to it. I lived up in Michigan at the time, and practiced the entire winter LHL, thought I had it down pat. I went on a trip to Pinehurst in the spring and putted absolutely horribly with it and ditched it. Had some success with a belly putter about 10 years ago, but of course, I couldn't stay with it with the rules change and went back to conventional and was a below average putter again IMO. Then the past couple of years almost felt something like the yips started and got worried, and started messing with LHL again. I went through several putters and it was a struggle for months. One day I would think I had it figured out, then I would come out a couple of days later and feel like I had never done it before again.....

Then I think it finally hit me, something somebody said earlier in this thread, at least for me my "feel" is with my right hand, but I was putting basically all with my left hand when doing LHL. I also went back to a thinner grip (now playing the old Ping grip Tiger uses), and worked on the sensation of the left hand is just sort of a guide for stability and the right hand actually is where my feel/pace comes from. I started doing better later in the year last year, the biggest test was the State Senior Am in September, I would putt what I would consider actually "good" over thee days. Made a fair number of putts, some decently long ones, only three putted once I think. My decent putting has continued so far this year (knock on wood).

One thing I also did, which I had seen a guy I've played with do who is a really good LHL putter, is turn my right hand under the shaft somewhat. I don't know why it feels better this way, maybe I used to do this way back in my good conventional putting days ( 30 years ago), but it seems to help me not shut the face, which can be something I fall into from time to time.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @Mike_C said:

> Wow, how have I missed this thread? I have experimented with LHL for a long time. About 15 years ago I was going to really commit to it. I lived up in Michigan at the time, and practiced the entire winter LHL, thought I had it down pat. I went on a trip to Pinehurst in the spring and putted absolutely horribly with it and ditched it. Had some success with a belly putter about 10 years ago, but of course, I couldn't stay with it with the rules change and went back to conventional and was a below average putter again IMO. Then the past couple of years almost felt something like the yips started and got worried, and started messing with LHL again. I went through several putters and it was a struggle for months. One day I would think I had it figured out, then I would come out a couple of days later and feel like I had never done it before again.....

>

> Then I think it finally hit me, something somebody said earlier in this thread, at least for me my "feel" is with my right hand, but I was putting basically all with my left hand when doing LHL. I also went back to a thinner grip (now playing the old Ping grip Tiger uses), and worked on the sensation of the left hand is just sort of a guide for stability and the right hand actually is where my feel/pace comes from. I started doing better later in the year last year, the biggest test was the State Senior Am in September, I would putt what I would consider actually "good" over thee days. Made a fair number of putts, some decently long ones, only three putted once I think. My decent putting has continued so far this year (knock on wood).

>

> One thing I also did, which I had seen a guy I've played with do who is a really good LHL putter, is turn my right hand under the shaft somewhat. I don't know why it feels better this way, maybe I used to do this way back in my good conventional putting days ( 30 years ago), but it seems to help me not shut the face, which can be something I fall into from time to time.

What a great write up @Mike_C . I think its one of those putting techniques that if you practice it, it can make a world of difference in ones game. As you mentioned I will try to focus on the left hand almost being "dead" in the putting stroke.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 3 weeks later...

Well the LHL experiment is working out pretty darn good. I don’t see myself every switching back to conventional. Distance control, center contact and feel is so much better.

• Like 1

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Have messed around with lhl in the past and recently. But never gave it a shot. Definitely a very clean takeaway. And great face contact. But same as others distance control was lacking for me. I've found my conventional stroke to need really low hands to keep my left arm straight. Which in turn makes my putter sit very toe up at address. Lhl gives me arm extension I'm looking for with a much better address position. I think I'm finally going to dive in and give it a proper try.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

> @Bobb3rdown said:

> Have messed around with lhl in the past and recently. But never gave it a shot. Definitely a very clean takeaway. And great face contact. But same as others distance control was lacking for me. I've found my conventional stroke to need really low hands to keep my left arm straight. Which in turn makes my putter sit very toe up at address. Lhl gives me arm extension I'm looking for with a much better address position. I think I'm finally going to dive in and give it a proper try.

Do it! I didnt think it would work at the beginning but once you get it dialed in it works wonders for your putting!

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like DJ switched to LHL half way through his round today and did a lot better even said when he’s practicing it on the putting green it rolls the ball better for him.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I switched to LHL 3 years ago, because my putting was becoming so poor and I had already tried everything, even putting left handed. It definitely took a good part of a whole year before I got really comfortable and now I can not go back to conventional grip. If you keep going back and forth to test waters, you are just going to confuse yourself more. Putting is all about consistency and using different grip every other day certainly wouldn't help with that.

I agree with another comment that distance control is really a matter of practice. To me LHL made it much easier for me to keep hands quiet as my right hand tend to be more active then it should, and allowed me to really focus on rocking the shoulder and maintain rhythm.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

> @mister2cool said:

> I switched to LHL 3 years ago, because my putting was becoming so poor and I had already tried everything, even putting left handed. It definitely took a good part of a whole year before I got really comfortable and now I can not go back to conventional grip. If you keep going back and forth to test waters, you are just going to confuse yourself more. Putting is all about consistency and using different grip every other day certainly wouldn't help with that.

> I agree with another comment that distance control is really a matter of practice. To me LHL made it much easier for me to keep hands quiet as my right hand tend to be more active then it should, and allowed me to really focus on rocking the shoulder and maintain rhythm.

I agree once you try LHL you should stick with it. It definitely takes time to get the hang of it but once you do as @mister2cool mentioned you will not go back to conventional.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Do folks think this LHL technique is better suited to blade putters, or mallet type? Those using the mallet type putters seem to favor the straight back then straight thru, but the blade players take a small arc, esp on the back movement.

I'm a shitty putter; often focused on technique issues and so, i become tense and mess up badly. I do use the LHL and left hand push back, then right hand directive. Have quit my blade putter, due to poor results and have gone to my old Zebra heavy headed mallet. Working towards betterment.

Any opinions?

> @jobin said:

> Do folks think this LHL technique is better suited to blade putters, or mallet type? Those using the mallet type putters seem to favor the straight back then straight thru, but the blade players take a small arc, esp on the back movement.

> I'm a **** putter; often focused on technique issues and so, i become tense and mess up badly. I do use the LHL and left hand push back, then right hand directive. Have quit my blade putter, due to poor results and have gone to my old Zebra heavy headed mallet. Working towards betterment.

> Any opinions?

I have a Spider X and I use LHL. I have used a blade off and on but had to make sure the head was heavier than normal to account for the LHL. I think this was due to the left hand being the dominant one on the backstroke and could get better control with the heavier headweight. I also put heavier head weights in the Spider X for this reason too

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 2 weeks later...

> @jobin said:

> Do folks think this LHL technique is better suited to blade putters, or mallet type? Those using the mallet type putters seem to favor the straight back then straight thru, but the blade players take a small arc, esp on the back movement.

> I'm a **** putter; often focused on technique issues and so, i become tense and mess up badly. I do use the LHL and left hand push back, then right hand directive. Have quit my blade putter, due to poor results and have gone to my old Zebra heavy headed mallet. Working towards betterment.

> Any opinions?

I've been committed to trying to make LHL work since this spring and have used my same blade putter I was using to putt conventionally (Betti BB1 2016). I like the switch to LHL for sure (putts start straighter, still working on my distance control but it is getting better) but I'm not sure if this blade is still the best option for me.

I've been playing around with a couple of mallets (Spider X and Ardmore 3) and I think I like them better but I'm not 100% sure. I've actually got a putter fitting with TrueSpec setup for next week so hoping to get some more info on my stroke and fit there to try and figure it out. I know I used to have a slight arc back when I putted conventionally but I don't know if I've still got it now that I'm LHL. My usual my miss is now a push right FWIW.