Motivation

jj9000

How are you guys/gals keeping your Junior motivated?

I'm not talking about motivation to go play in a Tourney. I'm talking more along the lines of day to day motivation...practice...and doing the little things to get better (daily).

It seems like if there's not a medal or trinket at stake...there's no motivation to go out and practice...hit balls...chip...and do the things necessary to actually get better.

Then...when a Tournament comes along and there's no medal won...it's the end of the world. I keep trying to push the notion of practice resulting in improvement...improvement resulting in lower scores...and lower scores resulting in medals. Trust me...medals are a motivator. But...you've gotta put in the work to keep getting medals.

I can tell that several of the other kids are doing a good bit of practice because I can see it in their fundamentals. I can tell the kids that put in work by their routine...swing...and mannerisms.

It's very hard to compete against electronics in trying to motivate a kid to go out and actually practice...b/c the kid wants to play video games instead.

What say you, fellow parents?

Older girl is 11 she is almost 12. It's is no problem motivating her she will bug me every chance to get out there. She probably does something golf related at least 4 hours a day 7 days a week if not more. When I say that is between Range time on the course or reading books about golf. When she was younger she loved playing but practice was probably on 2 or 3 times a week at the most and unless we were actually playing 18 holes maybe an 1 hour at time.

It wasn't until the last year that she was physically and mentally able to practice for hours on end. She always loved playing golf but like all kids you had to sometimes cut our the video games and make her practice. Lately it been the other way around she rather play golf then video games.

The younger one is 8 and she likes to play her share of video games instead of golf at this age. I pretty much let her play video games a lot at this age and only have her practice a few times a week. She loves being out there but sometimes I have to make her go. I think that is pretty normal for a kid this age. Let them play their games or watch TV. The most important thing is set weekly times to practice. If they like it they will look forward to it and will miss it if you don't do practice at those times.

Also don't worry about tournaments if they are not ready do not do them. At some point do them and make sure you set expectations that medals are not handed to them. I think a big mistake is doing too many tournaments at a young age. Kids at that age get medals for showing up and it makes them sad if they don't get them when they get older.

The younger one is 8 and she likes to play her share of video games instead of golf at this age. I pretty much let her play video games a lot at this age and only have her practice a few times a week. She loves being out there but sometimes I have to make her go. I think that is pretty normal for a kid this age. Let them play their games or watch TV. The most important thing is set weekly times to practice. If they like it they will look forward to it and will miss it if you don't do practice at those times.

This is where we are. He wants to play video games...and looks at practice in a negative light.

But...once we go to the course and were done jacking around out there...having fun...and putting in some work...he says "Man...that was a lot of fun, Dad".

I'm looking to help change the practice mindset by offering different methods of motivation. Sometimes it's a Snickers. Sometimes it's ice cream. Last night I floated the idea of him practicing daily for (2) weeks...putting in the work...and as a reward he gets a new video game. Without hesitation he stuck his hand out and said "Deal".

Leezer...I watched the video you posted prior to you deleting it. I appreciate that guy's commitment. But...at my dude's age, he doesn't have the mental capacity or maturity to understand (or care about) the concept and correlation of grinding for 4-6 hours per day to try for College golf. Not even on our radar.

We run into similar issues with our older child that doesn't want to practice because she thinks there is no chance at the medal. My younger son loves the game and we don't have to drag him. He drags us to the course.

Between the two kids, it is very clear. If you don't love the game, you are not practicing or at least it is quality practice.

My son is 8. Things that used to work dont work as well any more. I'me sure that is normal. So always looking for new methods. I've also figured out to be honest with myself when he just isnt feeling it. We agree to a reasonable practice schedule and he cant bail without good reason, but if he shows signs of just not being interested and super bored....we'll take a week off. Its not the end of the world and he usually jumps back in within a week or two ready to go and playing better because he is engaged. Anyway, a few things come to mind.

- Make practice (drills) not drills...make them games.

- Majority of practice is competition (with me or a buddy if available) - chipping comp, putting comp, up and down comp, closest to pin, best out of 3, etc.

Higher Level:

- We review tmnt scores and I show him how close he was to winning, top 3, or whatever his goal was. For example - You finished 2 strokes out of top 3 last tmnt...."can you think of any instances during the tmnt that you could of made up two strokes or areas of your game that could help". For a kid - that two strokes is tangible and attainable. He can clearly see that he lost (or came short) because he didnt do _____ well. He wants that win, top 3 or whatever so the burden is on him to get better at it.

- Countdown Calendars for Tmnts - His schedule only consists of 4-5 tmnts/year now. I print Calendars with countdown to tmnts (30 days, 29, 28....) He marks his scheduled practice days on there and he crosses off each day. For an 8 year old , it helps with reference and keep him engaged to want to go practice.

- Measure progress and discuss - Starting to keep records of driving distance, more detailed stats - putting, GIR, Fairways, etc. He stays interested and driven to hit it further, less putts, etc. So this is not really focused on score, but more on the components. Small victories along the way are good for keeping him interested.

She uses goals, and goals as motivation. If its to drive it 160. Or have 15 putts per round. or hit 6/9 GIR per round. I reward her with whatever bet may take place. Ice cream, staying up late, a new toy, a new golf club whatever she can sucker out of me because she is working hard for something. In terms of practice our schedules are crazy so when we go its directly after school, she knows the schedule and is ready to roll. Once in a while she asks if we can have a day off and we do. We only practice 2-4x a week for about an hour - hour 1/2 maybe two hours on the weekends. During the week we go twice, weekends once to twice depends on weather and what else the family has going on.

Let kids be kids. Allow them to play video games, get dirty. golf at 8 means nothing. I've read "make". If you are making your kid go then they must not enjoy doing it very much perhaps that can explain the lack of motivation or not wanting to practice.

At age 5-7YO, I tried keeping my kid motivated to get better and better at golf by tracking stats, getting an indoor putting mat, other training aids, showing him videos, watching golf movies, reading some golf books, etc, etc..... To be honest, it was all just a waste of time (related to "motivation") because he is just not mentally mature enough at 5-7YO. He is now just a month or so into 8YO and perhaps his mind/maturity is changing but we will see. We have played/practiced golf one (1) time this year. We have been skiing 4 times. We have practiced baseball at least 10 times. He is now very focused on being a starting infielder at either SS or 3rd base and also wants to pitch. The only "golf" thing I am working into his routine right now is swinging SuperSpeed sticks (thanks Leezer) and letting him now that those will help both his golf and his baseball swing.

So building his motivation at this age? I think you have to wait for them to mature enough. Exactly when does that happen? Seems like it is one of those things that you'll just know as it could be earlier for some kids and later for others. Note: Exceptions granted for all kids of all ages who may be prodigies in their own right.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

This is where we are. He wants to play video games...and looks at practice in a negative light.

But...once we go to the course and were done jacking around out there...having fun...and putting in some work...he says "Man...that was a lot of fun, Dad".

I'm looking to help change the practice mindset by offering different methods of motivation. Sometimes it's a Snickers. Sometimes it's ice cream. Last night I floated the idea of him practicing daily for (2) weeks...putting in the work...and as a reward he gets a new video game. Without hesitation he stuck his hand out and said "Deal".

Leezer...I watched the video you posted prior to you deleting it. I appreciate that guy's commitment. But...at my dude's age, he doesn't have the mental capacity or maturity to understand (or care about) the concept and correlation of grinding for 4-6 hours per day to try for College golf. Not even on our radar.

You shouldn't need to offer motivation for practice just by going out there it should be enough. The bigger question you need to ask is practice fun for him?

This is where golf classes with other kids perhaps is fun. Do that once a week for a few months and then take a break. Perhaps you should plan sunday on the golf course with him. Just the two of you and take them out. Don't worry about scoring just hit the ball and let them have fun.

If my 8 year old doesn't have a class or chance to go with dad she asks me why are we not going today? That is how I know she actually loves going. To me with a little kid there is nothing more fun then spending the afternoon with them playing golf and getting a bite to eat afterwards. Kids love that sort of thing. When they are young just getting them out with you on the course is the only practice they really need. Don't worry about practicing stuff solely for tournaments for younger kids.

If you take your kid to range and tell them to hit endless balls it get boring for everyone. They will learn to hate golf pretty quick.

I think the biggest hindrance you mentioned are the video games.

Anyhow, the whole motivation thing is getting hard for us as well. My son enjoys practicing with other kids more than by himself, but often times this just can't happen. I think a lot has to do with the weather too. We normally practice in the evenings during the week and it is pretty cold (for us). He would much rather sit at home and read a book.

Luckily or unluckily, his game hasn't faltered much as a result and he still wins a majority of what he plays in. With a regional coming up, he needs to get his a** in gear very soon.

At age 5-7YO, I tried keeping my kid motivated to get better and better at golf by tracking stats, getting an indoor putting mat, other training aids, showing him videos, watching golf movies, reading some golf books, etc, etc..... To be honest, it was all just a waste of time (related to "motivation") because he is just not mentally mature enough at 5-7YO. He is now just a month or so into 8YO and perhaps his mind/maturity is changing but we will see. We have played/practiced golf one (1) time this year. We have been skiing 4 times. We have practiced baseball at least 10 times. He is now very focused on being a starting infielder at either SS or 3rd base and also wants to pitch. The only "golf" thing I am working into his routine right now is swinging SuperSpeed sticks (thanks Leezer) and letting him now that those will help both his golf and his baseball swing.

So building his motivation at this age? I think you have to wait for them to mature enough. Exactly when does that happen? Seems like it is one of those things that you'll just know as it could be earlier for some kids and later for others. Note: Exceptions granted for all kids of all ages who may be prodigies in their own right.

de nada

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Never had a problem. It is simple. He doesn’t practice then no tournaments.

Had a parent ask me a couple of years ago how I got my son to practice. Her kid was terrible and saw a coach at $450 a hour. I told her my son understands the value of money. He understands playing in these tournaments are expensive and for him to play in them he has to practice or he doesn’t play.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Never had a problem. It is simple. He doesn’t practice then no tournaments.

Had a parent ask me a couple of years ago how I got my son to practice. Her kid was terrible and saw a coach at $450 a hour. I told her my son understands the value of money. He understands playing in these tournaments are expensive and for him to play in them he has to practice or he doesn’t play.

Excellent point. It reminds me of a book I recently read called The Opposite of Spoiled, by Ron Lieber. About teaching your kids to be fiscally responsible with money, time, resources. Above what HH said is the exact kind of practical advice it offers. Higly Reccomend.

edIt: i’ll come back to add this - I also think you should be careful about inadvertently putting pressure and guilt on your kid by stressing to them how much money you spend on their sport/activity. Be above board about costs of things for sure, but be careful they don’t feel obligated to shoot 65 every week. (insight from another fine book reccomeded here, “Don’t Should on your kids” ...royalty to Leezer ?).

Never had a problem. It is simple. He doesn't practice then no tournaments.

Had a parent ask me a couple of years ago how I got my son to practice. Her kid was terrible and saw a coach at $450 a hour. I told her my son understands the value of money. He understands playing in these tournaments are expensive and for him to play in them he has to practice or he doesn't play.

Excellent point. It reminds me of a book I recently read called The Opposite of Spoiled, by Ron Lieber. About teaching your kids to be fiscally responsible with money, time, resources. Above what HH said is the exact kind of practical advice it offers. Higly Reccomend.

edIt: i'll come back to add this - I also think you should be careful about inadvertently putting pressure and guilt on your kid by stressing to them how much money you spend on their sport/activity. Be above board about costs of things for sure, but be careful they don't feel obligated to shoot 65 every week. (insight from another fine book reccomeded here, "Don't Should on your kids" ...royalty to Leezer ).

Yep. 100% Love this post. Should never say "I paid too much for this bleep for you to shoot in the 80's.". We tell him we don't care what he shoots because it is part of the journey and the process. Only thing I care about on the course is if he acts like a gentleman at the end of the day. As a parent you can get eaten up inside when they don't score well and it hurts. However, they hurt more than you. Have to put on that happy face and move along.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Appreciate the feedback folks.

Interesting footnote...dude came home from school yesterday...and asked to go to the course...as that would count as 1 day closer to the two weeks he remembered in our 'deal'.

I took him to the course to play 9...we both had a Snickers before the round...and he posted 3 Birdies. He also rolled around in the grass...threw rocks in the stream...and hit shag balls in the ponds for the hell of it. Basically just having fun being a kid.

He got up this morning and the first thing out of his mouth was that he wanted to do the same thing today that we did yesterday.

I'll keep you folks posted b/c I know we're not the only ones at this age... going through the same stage.

Update...In my dude's quest to keep his end of the 2-weeks of practice in exchange for a new video game...he came up to me and asked if we could go practice.

This was late in the afternoon...so...I said "it doesn't look like we have enough sunlight to do much out there".

Dude immediately came back with "what about TopGolf, Dad?" I said sure thing...packed his bag...and off we went.

We rented a bay for just the 2 of us...and only him hitting balls. Here's a first. Dude says "Dad...can you coach me while were here?" I'm thinking this is some sort of trick question...but I said "Sure thing, bud".

I didn't sit down for the hour we were there. He tried all kinds of stuff...from trying to hit the ball picker...to trying to hit the side net...to trying to swing left handed.

As we walked out he said "that was the best practice ever!".

He woke up the next morning and asked if we could go back.

If dangling a $20 video game as an incentive to get off his behind and practice is the secret formula...I'm all in.

Update...In my dude's quest to keep his end of the 2-weeks of practice in exchange for a new video game...he came up to me and asked if we could go practice.

This was late in the afternoon...so...I said "it doesn't look like we have enough sunlight to do much out there".

Dude immediately came back with "what about TopGolf, Dad?" I said sure thing...packed his bag...and off we went.

We rented a bay for just the 2 of us...and only him hitting balls. Here's a first. Dude says "Dad...can you coach me while were here?" I'm thinking this is some sort of trick question...but I said "Sure thing, bud".

I didn't sit down for the hour we were there. He tried all kinds of stuff...from trying to hit the ball picker...to trying to hit the side net...to trying to swing left handed.

If dangling a $20 video game as an incentive to get off his behind and practice is the secret formula...I'm all in.

until he gets the new game and you can't get him away. All kidding aside. Sounds like a lot of fun the two of you are having.

until he gets the new game and you can't get him away. All kidding aside. Sounds like a lot of fun the two of you are having.

The good news is that I can control screen time...and if screen time is a motivator to get off his @ss...I'll use that as well. But...you are correct. We're having a good time.

As a sidenote. I bought and read the book "Daddy Caddy on the Bag"...and I'm looking at things out of the short-term lens as opposed to the long-term. And that view really needs to be flip flopped. Marathon vs. Sprint analogy hit home with me.

My 8 year old son is the golfer. The above story sounds like my 5 year old daughter working me over for the candy that she knows awaits at the end of her "practice"...which last about 9 minutes before I give up. She could give two rips about golf, but is smart enough to say all the right things that she knows I want to hear....as long as there is something it it for her. She's two steps ahead at all times, its scary.

Its a fine line between bribing them and finding a way to light the fire inside of them to be motivated. Still searching...

My 8 year old son is the golfer. The above story sounds like my 5 year old daughter working me over for the candy that she knows awaits at the end of her "practice"...which last about 9 minutes before I give up. She could give two rips about golf, but is smart enough to say all the right things that she knows I want to hear....as long as there is something it it for her. She's two steps ahead at all times, its scary.

Its a fine line between bribing them and finding a way to light the fire inside of them to be motivated. Still searching...

Tell her she can't do something you want her to do. Works with my daughter.... 'you can't do ten pull ups, you're too small'. Two seconds later the pull up bar comes out.

Tell her she can't do something you want her to do. Works with my daughter.... 'you can't do ten pull ups, you're too small'. Two seconds later the pull up bar comes out.

She wouldnt care. Better off just handing over the bag of M&M's and consider myself successful for getting her out there for the 9 minutes. I'me telling you, she's a stone cold killer. Ice Water....no doubt I will be working FOR her one day .......edit:....sounds like I already am!

She wouldnt care. Better off just handing over the bag of M&M's and consider myself successful for getting her out there for the 9 minutes. I'me telling you, she's a stone cold killer. Ice Water....no doubt I will be working FOR her one day .......edit:....sounds like I already am!

motivation of girls is another animal of its self. Smart man just give the girl the M&M's before there is blood shed.

For parents who live in the North East..how do you motivate them to practice at least a little during the off-season? I don't blame my son entirely, for not wanting to hit balls into a net or a simulator, or putt in a indoor area .

Last year we barely practiced during the off-season and I think you all remember we had a spring to forget. I do not want a repeat of that.

We are going through a fitting currently, so I have used that a carrot and stick; it is just a very expensive carrot and stick, need something more sustainable!

It’s freezing out here. I would keep him active in other sports during the off season and make him miss golf. I think Speith said he couldn’t wait to practice after basketball season bc clubs went away during the winter. Once they miss it, they’ll be more motivated. Every kid is different; it’s like when we all got the golf bug - once you get it, you become obsessed for a period of time. Try to find a balance to make that happen for your kid.

Also - I refuse to give fortnite v bucks, but when we do get to practice, I’ll make little bets with him for $10 v bucks. Like a putting match against me, or hitting certain targets on the range a certain number of times. That motivates him plenty. The craziest was I didn’t think he could hit the actual flag on a range green 55 yards away by fligting a 4 iron - gave him 20 shots for $25 v bucks and he did it, so that game no longer exists.

It's freezing out here. I would keep him active in other sports during the off season and make him miss golf. I think Speith said he couldn't wait to practice after basketball season bc clubs went away during the winter. Once they miss it, they'll be more motivated. Every kid is different; it's like when we all got the golf bug - once you get it, you become obsessed for a period of time. Try to find a balance to make that happen for your kid.

Also - I refuse to give fortnite v bucks, but when we do get to practice, I'll make little bets with him for $10 v bucks. Like a putting match against me, or hitting certain targets on the range a certain number of times. That motivates him plenty. The craziest was I didn't think he could hit the actual flag on a range green 55 yards away by fligting a 4 iron - gave him 20 shots for $25 v bucks and he did it, so that game no longer exists.

Results based rewards = no bueno

Process based rewards = bueno

Process oriented golf vs Results oriented golf

Hitting into net and practicing indoors can get boring really fast.

We do what yellowlover519 suggested. We stay busy with other activities during winter and hit the driving range on those occasional 50F days. From April-Oct/Nov, it is all golf anyways. So, it is OK to give the kids a break and let them try other stuff. Come Spring, they are fully charged and excited to see their golf buddies.

It's freezing out here. I would keep him active in other sports during the off season and make him miss golf. I think Speith said he couldn't wait to practice after basketball season bc clubs went away during the winter. Once they miss it, they'll be more motivated. Every kid is different; it's like when we all got the golf bug - once you get it, you become obsessed for a period of time. Try to find a balance to make that happen for your kid.

Also - I refuse to give fortnite v bucks, but when we do get to practice, I'll make little bets with him for $10 v bucks. Like a putting match against me, or hitting certain targets on the range a certain number of times. That motivates him plenty. The craziest was I didn't think he could hit the actual flag on a range green 55 yards away by fligting a 4 iron - gave him 20 shots for $25 v bucks and he did it, so that game no longer exists.

My son plays ice hockey 5x a week and basketball 4x a week... he is pretty active and this is his off-season. I am not talking about practicing an hour a day but maybe an couple of hour in a week.

I think he picked up the clubs twice last winter and we had a spring/early summer that was not pretty. I am just hoping not to repeat that.

Jack Nicklaus would hit balls outdoors under a makeshift Quonset hut during the harsh winters of Ohio. He also hit indoors at the Columbus Athletic Club. He did this while also playing basketball and baseball all the way through high school.

Bottom line, if your kid is motivated for golf it has to come from within.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting topic. Our son is unique so I'm at a loss with him. However, the one thing that worked early on (when he started out at 4) was to include a basket of french fries after every session. The kid ended up with crazy skills. Now, it's a crap shoot. Not sure how to instill a work ethic. I think a kid must clearly observe cause/result to fully buy in - because once they hit puberty they stop listening to the words coming out of your mouth. Now, I'm trying to get my daughter (8) into it. I try short sessions at the putting green or range with a treat afterward. She's got a neat, little swing and a good attitude. We'll see how that goes.