Bomber_11 WITB 2018 (Greyson/Seamus/Jones/ButtonBack/PIC HEAVY)

bomber, you ever gamed the old callaway x prototype style irons (razr x mb etc)? Always thought those were a cool MB but never played a set of them. I've got a razr x mb 6 iron at home that I practice with though.

I can't say i have - I've only really been golfing since 2012 and my first set were Nike Slingshot 4D's. After that I had the 2014 Taylormade Tour Preferred MB's. I've never even owned a set of Callaway irons until my Apex MB's that I had earlier this year.

Wow 6 years of golf and you are scratch, that's impressive. Did you have baseball/hockey/tennis experience prior? How much do you/have you practiced to go from what I assume would be starting off shooting 90s or 100's to 70s?

My only real background is just heavily involved in football and track & field at a high level.

When I was in college and got the strong desire for golf, I was getting up at 5:30am every morning to go golf before classes/practice. I did that for the better part of my first two years playing.

Since then I've practiced a lot less, but studied the game a lot more. Course strategy, mental approach, and overall fitness. I have a 4 year old daughter and a 1 year old son, so I have to find ways to keep my game sharp without spending hours on the course practicing.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I've just simply always had the luxury of supreme distance off the tee, and that makes the rest of the game so much easier to manage.

Wow, those Nike VRs look sick. Do they have a satin finish or am I just seeing things?

Nope you called it - they're the satin VR Pro's

May I ask where you picked those up?

You can find them on eBay from time to time - spanning anywhere from $600 to $3,500.

Cheaper option is buy a used set of VR Pro's, take a coarse scotchbrite pad, and rub the heck out of them. It'll cause them to have a satin look.

Used sets are going for around $350-$500 in good condition, not to mention that taking the flashy chrome finish off of them also gets rid of a lot of bag chatter.

Got it - I hadn't seen many sets on ebay last time I looked. I didn't think any came with the satin finish from the factory, but I recall back in the day of the original Nike blades some guys on tour (Justin Leonard for sure) had them in a satin chrome finish.

Did you add the satin finish to yours?

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Wow, those Nike VRs look sick. Do they have a satin finish or am I just seeing things?

Nope you called it - they're the satin VR Pro's

May I ask where you picked those up?

You can find them on eBay from time to time - spanning anywhere from $600 to $3,500.

Cheaper option is buy a used set of VR Pro's, take a coarse scotchbrite pad, and rub the heck out of them. It'll cause them to have a satin look.

Used sets are going for around $350-$500 in good condition, not to mention that taking the flashy chrome finish off of them also gets rid of a lot of bag chatter.

Got it - I hadn't seen many sets on ebay last time I looked. I didn't think any came with the satin finish from the factory, but I recall back in the day of the original Nike blades some guys on tour (Justin Leonard for sure) had them in a satin chrome finish.

Bought mine off of a guy who used to be a member on here. He was a DFW native and got them from the Oven. To my knowledge that's the only place you can get satin VR pro's

Wow 6 years of golf and you are scratch, that's impressive. Did you have baseball/hockey/tennis experience prior? How much do you/have you practiced to go from what I assume would be starting off shooting 90s or 100's to 70s?

My only real background is just heavily involved in football and track & field at a high level.

When I was in college and got the strong desire for golf, I was getting up at 5:30am every morning to go golf before classes/practice. I did that for the better part of my first two years playing.

Since then I've practiced a lot less, but studied the game a lot more. Course strategy, mental approach, and overall fitness. I have a 4 year old daughter and a 1 year old son, so I have to find ways to keep my game sharp without spending hours on the course practicing.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I've just simply always had the luxury of supreme distance off the tee, and that makes the rest of the game so much easier to manage.

Lots of lessons or mostly self taught?

What things are you doing with having kids to keep improving... or heck, even just playing? I'll be in that boat soon.

Bought mine off of a guy who used to be a member on here. He was a DFW native and got them from the Oven. To my knowledge that's the only place you can get satin VR pro's

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I saw a couple of "tour issue" satin finish ones on ebay earlier today. Wish it was a finish more companies offered!

Enjoy those irons, they are beautiful! And as a guy who played a fair amount of Nike gear in the past I'm very jealous. I don't have the game for blades through the bag, but I'd really like to find a new/like-new set of the VR Pro Combos (the first generation that had blades 8-PW.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

What things are you doing with having kids to keep improving... or heck, even just playing? I'll be in that boat soon.

Completely self taught - but would love to get lessons eventually.

The key to playing with kids in your life is either A. take them with you, or B. find time for golf that doesn't take away from family time.

With my job I'm able to golf a few times per week with clients or coworkers, so that helps. Then on the weekends it's usually about sneaking away when the suns coming up and be home by the time the rest of the house is stirring.

Occassionally I'll take the 4 year old with me, but she doesn't really have much interest. Just wants to drive the cart and listen to music lol.

I mean, at scratch what more do you need to improve? lol

I figure when I have kids golfing will probably cease for a little while but then maybe I'll get the chance to hit one of the local courses that opens up really early for 9 holes or something every now and then. I figure that if I really want to keep swinging a club, the best bet is to figure out a way to build a hitting area at home. Not possible right now with how small my living space is, but I plan to move into a bigger space w the wife in a few years.

Keep the bag updates coming!

I mean, at scratch what more do you need to improve? lol

I figure when I have kids golfing will probably cease for a little while but then maybe I'll get the chance to hit one of the local courses that opens up really early for 9 holes or something every now and then. I figure that if I really want to keep swinging a club, the best bet is to figure out a way to build a hitting area at home. Not possible right now with how small my living space is, but I plan to move into a bigger space w the wife in a few years.

Keep the bag updates coming!

He is a self-taught scratch. . .thats a lot of potential. Get advice from someone awesome and who knows.

Wet socks after 9 holes by yourself is the best. Pin-hawk when the greens are dewy :golfer:

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Completely self taught - but would love to get lessons eventually.

The key to playing with kids in your life is either A. take them with you, or B. find time for golf that doesn't take away from family time.

With my job I'm able to golf a few times per week with clients or coworkers, so that helps. Then on the weekends it's usually about sneaking away when the suns coming up and be home by the time the rest of the house is stirring.

Occassionally I'll take the 4 year old with me, but she doesn't really have much interest. Just wants to drive the cart and listen to music lol.

All meals-out at Top Golf

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

What was the reason behind the switch from the Apex MB's?

A. Sold them at a high point for their value (heads only for well above $1k)

B. My Brooks Koepka fanboy thing I've got going on makes me basically have to play either Nike or Mizuno irons lol :)

Not too proud to admit he's my hero, and if I feel like I replicate him in some way, it helps my game even the slightest amount. Sounds cheesy but oh well!

• 4 months later...

From reading your new WITB i need an update of your new bag!

Im a fellow Nike fanboy from my college baseball days and you got me thinking about selling off all my gear to build a full nike bag.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7x

Ping G430 2 hybrid 17* (flat std) // Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Srixon u85 20* // Fujikura Ventus Black 10tx

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW // DG TI Onyx X100

Ping Glide 4.0 Tour Issue Raw 50S, 56W, 60T // DG TI Onyx S400

Odyssey Two-ball Ten Armlock 40" 

Titleist ProV1 

• 1 month later...

OG M2 and Mizuno 3-PW. Good man!

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (34)

• 1 month later...

What happened to the M2?

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Tensei 1K Black 85 TX

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 50F/55S/60LBK | Project X 6.0

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini DB

Titleist Pro V1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Need new WITB pics!!!

Driver- Taylormade SIM 2 *10.5 set at 8.5*, Ventus Black 6X

3 Wood- Taylormade SIM 2 15* set at 14.25*, Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7X

5 Wood- Taylormade SIM 19* set at 19.75*, Tensei Orange 80TX

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 UDI 18*, Tour AD DI 95X

Irons- 4-PW Callaway Apex TCB Raw, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black 50*, 55*, High Toe Raw 60*, Nippon Modus 115 Black Wedge 

Putter- Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4, Ping PLD Anser 2 matte raw or Spider Tour Red

• 4 months later...

I was surprised with how much more I enjoy mg2 vs sm7.

bag looking good!

• 1 year later...

@Bomber_11
Whats new in the bag buddy?  Curious to see if you got the Srixon and T22 in the bag to match Brooks.

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Tensei 1K Black 85 TX

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 50F/55S/60LBK | Project X 6.0

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini DB

Titleist Pro V1