Pets

gambit

Just wondering what you guys have as pets. I'll go out on a limb and assume most have dogs/cats. Currently I have two pit bulls (both 13) and my girl/best friend probably won't make it more than a couple of more months with her cancer. I also have a 4 month old bearded dragon (who knew they can be so pricey) and a 5 month old golden greek tortoise. Looking to get another bearded dragon this year. In the past I had 4 pits and a rottie at the same time. I've also had snakes, monitor lizards, frogs, fish, hamsters, etc. I was the kid that brought home everything. I brought home a baby duckling from biology class when I was in 7th grade. Mom said no because we wouldn't be able to eat duck anymore after that lol. She said the same when I took the duckling back and brought home a baby chick.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that you're dog has cancer. It's really hard when a pet crosses over to rainbow bridge because they're family. My wife and I adopted two kitten sisters in Dec. of 2016 and they are a big part of our family and they're really spoiled. We didn't have any pets for approximately 10 years after our 17 year old cat passed away and her sister two years earlier. We're both animal lovers and I can see that you are to.

Sorry to hear about your pup’s cancer, that’s a tough time. There was a tear jerking thread here that went on for a year or so about dogs. While it was active we had to put our dog down. We have some pretty advanced plans on getting another soon.

I love critters of all kinds and have visited the zoo and/or aquarium in just about any city I’ve visited. We got a Leopard Gecko named Gilligan in 2010 and he’s still in the tank next to me as I type this and looking very spry still. Our son (2) loves watching him eat. I’d love a nice saltwater tank, and my wife wants seahorses. These would need to be separate tanks so space quickly becomes an issue.

What can you do when wife volunteers at the Humane Society? :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Thanks for the support fellas. Yea, it's super hard. I had her mama and bred her one time and kept 2 of the pups so I've had her literally since she first entered the world. I remember when I was going through chemo she would wait at the door for me to come home every time I went for treatment. If I had to go to the bathroom she would be outside the door waiting for me no matter what time of day or night. She never left me. Not sure when I should put her down. Vet says her cancer will be painful because it's where the stomach goes into the small intestine. Her hips are bad, but she's still aware of everything going on. It's killing my back because since she has such trouble walking I carry her everywhere. She didn't leave me so how can I leave her? Ugh...

gambit,

Your story is really heartbreaking to me. Dogs are usually very loyal but she seems to be extremely loyal to you and I can understand that it would be very hard to put her down but on the other hand I don't think that you want her to be in pain and suffer. You wouldn't be leaving her as you would be doing what's best for her at this point in time. Remember that she'll always be a wonderful part of your life.

You are going to know when it is time, she will tell you. It’s going to be obvious. If she still has some joy and eats, drinks and poops on her own it’s probably not time yet. It’s a big deal to end a friend’s life, but one day you will go from helping her get around while she still has joy to her telling you to help her. It’s the ultimate way to pay her the respect she earned, let her pass on with her pride and dignity.

Thanks for the support fellas. Yea, it's super hard. I had her mama and bred her one time and kept 2 of the pups so I've had her literally since she first entered the world. I remember when I was going through chemo she would wait at the door for me to come home every time I went for treatment. If I had to go to the bathroom she would be outside the door waiting for me no matter what time of day or night. She never left me. Not sure when I should put her down. Vet says her cancer will be painful because it's where the stomach goes into the small intestine. Her hips are bad, but she's still aware of everything going on. It's killing my back because since she has such trouble walking I carry her everywhere. She didn't leave me so how can I leave her? Ugh...

So sorry. You will know when it is time to let go. Mine had lymphoma and we tried to fight it with chemo. He had a wonderful oncologist. We certainly don’t get to keep them anywhere near long enough.

For those that don't know I thought that I'd share the Rainbow Bridge Poem about our loved pets. For some reason I wasn't able to post a copy of the poem so I'm going to type it.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies - one that has been especially close to someone

here - that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills

for our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty

of food and water, sunshine and cozy beds, and our friends are warm

and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and

vigor, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong

again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone

by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing;

they each miss someone very special, someone who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly

stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager

body quivers. Suddenly he breaks from the group,flying over the green

grass - his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally

meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain on your face; your hands again caress the beloved

head, and you look once more onto the trusting eyes of your pet - so long

gone but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

So sorry. You will know when it is time to let go. Mine had lymphoma and we tried to fight it with chemo. He had a wonderful oncologist. We certainly don't get to keep them anywhere near long enough.

If she was young maybe I'd think about chemo. Hard for me to consider given how hard it was for me to go through. She's lost over 20 pounds. I'm even giving her medical grade CBD oil from my personal prescription (lower dose) so she's at least comfortable. It does bring the munchies out.

Not a cat person (selfies and my dogs like to eat their poop...so gross) but the ones here are cute I must admit. My wife’s cousin rescued a bunch of cats years ago. A few of them were feral and down right nuts so she had a room just for them. 2 others lived in the cushion of her couch. Thank the lord that’s not the case anymore. She was turning into crazy cat lady at a young age. I think she had 12+ cats.

gambit, sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. I went through something very similar when I put my dachshund down that I had for 15 years last November. I recently decided to get another dog and even though he'll never replace my dachshund he's definitely bringing me a lot of joy (even though he's an absolute nut job haha). He's a beagle, very affectionate and always keeping me on my toes.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

You are going to know when it is time, she will tell you. It’s going to be obvious. If she still has some joy and eats, drinks and poops on her own it’s probably not time yet. It’s a big deal to end a friend’s life, but one day you will go from helping her get around while she still has joy to her telling you to help her. It’s the ultimate way to pay her the respect she earned, let her pass on with her pride and dignity.

I couldn’t agree more with this. My family had to make the decision 3 years ago...day after Christmas for our 12 yr old Golden. It was the hardest decision the family had to make. Our vet, helped us out by telling us that she lived a life for us and this was the only thing we could do for her.

gambit, sorry to hear that you are going through a tough time. I went through something very similar when I put my dachshund down that I had for 15 years last November. I recently decided to get another dog and even though he'll never replace my dachshund he's definitely bringing me a lot of joy (even though he's an absolute nut job haha). He's a beagle, very affectionate and always keeping me on my toes.

Good for you! Beagles are such cool dogs. You don't hear about them as much nowadays with all the "designer" dogs out there. Super active and from what I remember love to dig. I know our next dog, whenever that will be, will be a rescue. Probably a pit since they get put down so quickly and flood the shelters. Probably a dog with special needs and even possibly a senior. I know it will be hard, but I want to give a dog a better life that it's ever known.

Good for you! Beagles are such cool dogs. You don't hear about them as much nowadays with all the "designer" dogs out there. Super active and from what I remember love to dig. I know our next dog, whenever that will be, will be a rescue. Probably a pit since they get put down so quickly and flood the shelters. Probably a dog with special needs and even possibly a senior. I know it will be hard, but I want to give a dog a better life that it's ever known.

That's great that you want to do that, for me I've always gotten puppies so that's what I went with again this time but I know plenty of people who adopt. He is really a ton of fun and yes very active which was a main reason why I got him. I like to hike/walk around all the various trails that we have here in Northern MN and I needed a dog that would do that with me.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Aldila Tour Green 75TX

3 Wood: PING G425 LST | Fuji Ventus Black 8X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 | DG TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

4 beautiful cats that you have and are you getting anymore?

Sorry I was out traveling a few days on business. I told my better half(well really I strongly suggested lol) that four is enough. As much time as she spends volunteering at the humane society it's tough for her sometimes I think to not bring home more but having four under the age of 8 is enough.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

4 beautiful cats that you have and are you getting anymore?

Sorry I was out traveling a few days on business. I told my better half(well really I strongly suggested lol) that four is enough. As much time as she spends volunteering at the humane society it's tough for her sometimes I think to not bring home more but having four under the age of 8 is enough.

I donate cat food to the Humane Society near my work and of course I always end up looking at the kittens and cats and want to take some home but I can't as our two is enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I love all animals. I'm a cat person but I love dogs too. We have 4 Ragdolls. We've always had pets and the one thing that I've learned over the last 50 years is that I will never have a pet put to sleep without me being with them. It's hard but I know it's the best thing to do. So sorry to hear about your friends cancer gambit.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

1 3/4 year old Cane Corso - that was the runt of the litter - he only weighs about 85 lbs. Beautiful dog, but the level of clingy is off the charts - apparently this is their thing maximum protection - that said (and we are family that has had multiple Golden Retrievers) this dog is disturbingly smart (for most things) and then will do a stupid thing - I guess just to see if we are paying attention.

Sorry to hear about the cancer. We've spent the last few months in and out of the vet's office, so I understand how emotionally drained you probably are.

We lost 2 of our 3 dogs in the past month, so it has been a tough year so far in my house. The first was my dog, 15+ year old shepherd mix whose hips and back had failed. He had been part of our family since both of our daughters (11 & 13) were born, so it was hard for them to come home from school every day without him being there. Then about 2 weeks ago, we found out that my wife's 12+ year old dachshund had a tumor in her chest that was causing her lungs to fill with fluid. The vet said at her age and health, it was unlikely that she would survive the surgery and would continue to essentially suffocate over time, so she was put down last Friday. My wife is really having a difficult time with losing her cuddle-pup and our 3rd dog (18 month old bulldog/pitt mix) looks super bored with the lack of activity/movement in the house, so we've started looking for a new cuddler who can also keep our other dog occupied a little. We also have a 21 year old cat, so this year may have another loss planned for us.

I'll post an update when we find the new member of our fur-family.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Sorry to hear about the cancer. We've spent the last few months in and out of the vet's office, so I understand how emotionally drained you probably are.

We lost 2 of our 3 dogs in the past month, so it has been a tough year so far in my house. The first was my dog, 15+ year old shepherd mix whose hips and back had failed. He had been part of our family since both of our daughters (11 & 13) were born, so it was hard for them to come home from school every day without him being there. Then about 2 weeks ago, we found out that my wife's 12+ year old dachshund had a tumor in her chest that was causing her lungs to fill with fluid. The vet said at her age and health, it was unlikely that she would survive the surgery and would continue to essentially suffocate over time, so she was put down last Friday. My wife is really having a difficult time with losing her cuddle-pup and our 3rd dog (18 month old bulldog/pitt mix) looks super bored w

ith the lack of activity/movement in the house, so we've started looking for a new cuddler who can also keep our other dog occupied a little. We also have a 21 year old cat, so this year may have another loss planned for us.

I'll post an update when we find the new member of our fur-family.

Sorry about the loss of your dogs and it's always hard when we lose family members.