Cobra King LTD users......

Hi Folks,

Just looking for some Avg Joe's feedback for anyone playing or has played the Cobra King LTD driver.

I just found a good deal on a brand new Cobra King LTD Black.

Stock with Aldila Rogue Black 60 stiff.

My driver SS is around 98-103 range.

Any Avg Joe's find this stock setup to be pretty solid?

I'm a little concerned about the Aldila Rogue Black shaft. I'm used to playing shafts more in the mid/low flight - mid/low spin category.

Looks like Rogue Black is a mid - mid profile.

Anyone find it to be too spinny, or just terrible dispersion?

Anyone have any feedback on any non-stock shafts they've tried?

LTD is probably the best driver Cobra has ever made. Anything under like $120 is a good deal. I got mine for $80 then stuck a Kiyoshi HB in it and it's really good.

Be aware that the LTD head is about 10 or even 15g heavier than heads like XR16, Rogue, etc. It swing weights a little higher (at least the Pro version does) than most drviers, with the except of Ping heads of recent. You may need to use a fairly counter balanced shaft in this head and/or play it shorter than you have played other drivers.

LTD is probably the best driver Cobra has ever made. Anything under like $120 is a good deal. I got mine for $80 then stuck a Kiyoshi HB in it and it's really good.

Be aware that the LTD head is about 10 or even 15g heavier than heads like XR16, Rogue, etc. It swing weights a little higher (at least the Pro version does) than most drviers, with the except of Ping heads of recent. You may need to use a fairly counter balanced shaft in this head and/or play it shorter than you have played other drivers.

The standard head is slightly heavier than those you mention for two reasons:

It was designed to be played at 45”, not 45.5”. That’s 4 grams extra.

The Callaway adapter is heavier than the Cobra adapter so that weight is put into the Cobra head. That’s another 2+ grams. I can’t remember the exact difference and I don’t have a cobra to weigh right now.

The Standard Head will swingweight at D-3 to D-4 with a standard non counterbalanced shaft at 45” playing length. I’ve never weighed the pro head. I don’t know why it would be, but It might be heavier. No idea on that.

The Callaway adapter is heavier than the Cobra adapter so that weight is put into the Cobra head. That’s another 2+ grams. I can’t remember the exact difference and I don’t have a cobra to weigh right now.

The Standard Head will swingweight at D-3 to D-4 with a standard non counterbalanced shaft at 45” playing length. I’ve never weighed the pro head. I don’t know why it would be, but It might be heavier. No idea on that.

My pro head weighed in at 208 (no adapter or screw). At 45.5'' with a non CB shaft, it was D8. Makes sense they'd make the head a little heavier if the adapter is lighter and with the stock playing length being .5'' shorter than standard now.

Now that I've cut down to 44.5'' with a CB'ed shaft I'm at D1/D2. I guess my only point was just if you're coming from Cally/TM, be aware the stock set up could feel a little heavier/different. My M2 stock head was only 192g and swung around D2 with a fairly tip biased shaft.

My pro head weighed in at 208 (no adapter or screw). At 45.5'' with a non CB shaft, it was D8. Makes sense they'd make the head a little heavier if the adapter is lighter and with the stock playing length being .5'' shorter than standard now.

Now that I've cut down to 44.5'' with a CB'ed shaft I'm at D1/D2. I guess my only point was just if you're coming from Cally/TM, be aware the stock set up could feel a little heavier/different. My M2 stock head was only 192g and swung around D2 with a fairly tip biased shaft.

208? Wow. Weird. That is heavy. Standard head is not that heavy. I think Mine is 210 now it’s its got about 10 grams or lead tape on it.

208? Wow. Weird. That is heavy. Standard head is not that heavy. I think Mine is 210 now it’s its got about 10 grams or lead tape on it.

Yep. When I weighed it I was like... wow this only a few grams shy of my old 3w head weight, no wonder I'm having terrible results.

CB'ed shaft and I play it at 44.5'' and it's great. I am swinging it a bit slower though... so I wonder what going back to a lighter head would do for me..Maybe something around the 198-200g range. I also generally don't play CB'ed shafts, so that could somehow change things, although you'd assume it would help the CHS. And... it's also middle of winter, I haven't done SSG training in almost 2 months now.

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered one also; like to hear what people say are good shafts to pair with LTD/Pro. Are the Tensei Pro Orange and T1100 good combos for 108-113 SS range? Personally I tend to hit the ball too high; around 17* launch with an 8* Rogue, dynamic loft 29!

trying to bring it down

I'm a high ball hitter as well, 112mph average ss. At my Club Champion fitting, the winning combo for me was my LTD Pro head and an MCA Diamana D+ Limited Edition 70X shaft. My dispersion is better and launch came down. Turned the driver into a weapon for me the couple times I've been able to play and go to the simulator. You can find the shaft on the bay with Titleist adapters from the 917 and TS drivers, I had my club builder throw on a Cobra adapter and I was off to the races.

Good info.

I have a question: just recently got a new LTD Pro; first time out was great. But the weather has been lousy here with snow/rain plus high winds. What I've noticed so far is this is a VERY low spin driver, much lower than I've seen before. I am a low spin hitter anyway, I hit up quite a bit too. I am trying to figure out a good combination of tee height and AOA to maximize the distance. I searched but videos seem to be all about how to reduce spin, haven't seen any on how to optimize spin. I hit a draw naturally, straight ball flight quite often. I hit it high. SS is 109-113 right now. Today I teed it up fairly high and got more carry but it still seemed to be falling out of the sky. Anyone have a recipe book for guidelines on optimizing flight?

I just got my Kiysohi white adapter pulled, so I'm tipping that tonight and then seeing what that does next week. Going to play it closer to 44'' so the SW should be around D3 I believe.

I think my head is just an odd ball. Maybe there's some melt inside I'm not aware of but it's heavier than every unmodified head I've heard of on here. I already need X flex shafts as is at around 198g or so... at 208g I probably need a full inch tip on anything in the 60-70g range. If this doesn't work... My next step is to go up in weight to 70-80g shafts X flex and almost definitely going to need CB at that point to keep SW reasonable at 44''.

I just got my Kiysohi white adapter pulled, so I'm tipping that tonight and then seeing what that does next week. Going to play it closer to 44'' so the SW should be around D3 I believe.

I think my head is just an odd ball. Maybe there's some melt inside I'm not aware of but it's heavier than every unmodified head I've heard of on here. I already need X flex shafts as is at around 198g or so... at 208g I probably need a full inch tip on anything in the 60-70g range. If this doesn't work... My next step is to go up in weight to 70-80g shafts X flex and almost definitely going to need CB at that point to keep SW reasonable at 44''.

If there’s hot melt in it you can easily feel it. Open the port and reach around in there with your finger. Melt is extremely sticky. You will know Immediately if it’s in there.

Why not just sell that head and start over? They are cheap. I just bought another one. I bought a black model for under $100 bucks. Although I’m not sure how much it will help you. I just weighed my new one. It’s 206 grams with the screw.

Personally, I would NEVER alter my shaft choice to match an unusual head weight. Of course, it would never be an issue because I play mine so short. I always add weight.

Good info.

I have a question: just recently got a new LTD Pro; first time out was great. But the weather has been lousy here with snow/rain plus high winds. What I've noticed so far is this is a VERY low spin driver, much lower than I've seen before. I am a low spin hitter anyway, I hit up quite a bit too. I am trying to figure out a good combination of tee height and AOA to maximize the distance. I searched but videos seem to be all about how to reduce spin, haven't seen any on how to optimize spin. I hit a draw naturally, straight ball flight quite often. I hit it high. SS is 109-113 right now. Today I teed it up fairly high and got more carry but it still seemed to be falling out of the sky. Anyone have a recipe book for guidelines on optimizing flight?

Only a few things to increase spin.

Loft up to the maximum and reduce AOA. If needed, switch to a standard LTD head which lofts all the way up to 12.

Go to a higher spin shaft.

If you play it under standard length you could add weight to the lower rear sole of the head. Unfortunately it takes a lot of weight to make a difference. Certainly at least 10+ grams.

If you do all of these and If it still doesn’t help you sell the club.

If there’s hot melt in it you can easily feel it. Open the port and reach around in there with your finger. Melt is extremely sticky. You will know Immediately if it’s in there.

Why not just sell that head and start over? They are cheap. I just bought another one. I bought a black model for under $100 bucks. Although I’m not sure how much it will help you. I just weighed my new one. It’s 206 grams with the screw.

Personally, I would NEVER alter my shaft choice to match an unusual head weight. Of course, it would never be an issue because I play mine so short. I always add weight.

I know, I hate messing with shaft but my swing has changed so much in the past year I don't even really know what I fit in to. So far the best fit as been an Accra 465 which I was getting good numbers with, but that was paired with a Srixon Z785 head.

My last fitting before that I was in a Speeder Evo II 661. It's fairly tip heavy according to my scale but it's pretty stable and generally produced good flight. Maybe I'll try to find a used cheapie and just stick that in. Who knows anymore... I've gotten good results from CB and non CB shafts so I think my profile is probably a little more important for me than the balance overall.

I may also stick my Kai'li 70X in there which is tipped an inch and plays 43.5'' right now and is used in my 3w (which I choke down on a little bit). I'll open the port up and feel around a bit. Worst case I say F it and don't even use driver this year as only 1 course I play regular has tees over 6400. At that length I barely even need driver anyway. Poke 3w down there around 250 or something and at most I'm usually left with a PW-8i. Off the top of my head only a few par 4's player over 420 yards which is when I start needing longer drives to have chances at birdies and stuff.

You will need to add a little weight if you use the Kai’li at 43.5”.

Give it a shot, although the pro will get VERY flat at that length. I play my standard version in the 9.5 upright Draw setting.

Yep it will, so I will probably play that set up at 10.5* instead of 9.5 to try and account for the slight increase to fade bias. And I will probably add a couple grams of cotton inside it... it may not need much.

If that's not great, it'll go up on BST for trade for a regular LTD head or I'll try to find one on eBay. If 9.5D setting at 44'' doesn't work... then I don't know what will. Will probably just go back to my old M2 set up which played pretty good at 44.5'' with just a little lead tape on it.

You will need to add a little weight if you use the Kai’li at 43.5”.

Give it a shot, although the pro will get VERY flat at that length. I play my standard version in the 9.5 upright Draw setting.

Yep it will, so I will probably play that set up at 10.5* instead of 9.5 to try and account for the slight increase to fade bias. And I will probably add a couple grams of cotton inside it... it may not need much.

If that's not great, it'll go up on BST for trade for a regular LTD head or I'll try to find one on eBay. If 9.5D setting at 44'' doesn't work... then I don't know what will. Will probably just go back to my old M2 set up which played pretty good at 44.5'' with just a little lead tape on it.

I’m telling you. My standard head at 9.5 draw and 43.5” with my old grafalloy Blue and a few grams of lead tape on the heel is a weapon.

At some point I’m still going to buy a tour length 10.5 F9 and try my shaft in it just because I can’t help myself, but I really don’t think it will win me over. It sounds like ball speed will almost surely be better, but I have a lot of confidence with that LTD. I really enjoy standing over that club.

PS. There is a brand new black head in plastic on the Bay right now $128 OBO.

You will need to add a little weight if you use the Kai'li at 43.5".

I'm telling you. My standard head at 9.5 draw and 43.5" with my old grafalloy Blue and a few grams of lead tape on the heel is a weapon.

At some point I'm still going to buy a tour length 10.5 F9 and try my shaft in it just because I can't help myself, but I really don't think it will win me over. It sounds like ball speed will almost surely be better, but I have a lot of confidence with that LTD. I really enjoy standing over that club.

There's a used one (I'm LH remember) for $90 on the bay. I'm just in a tight money situation right now.... I gotta list some of current stuff for sale in order to use those funds to pay for that. With 3 inches of snow and ice falling yesterday, I'm not seeing the course for a minimum of 2-3 weeks still. Last year I don't think I ended up starting the season til the last week of March.

You will need to add a little weight if you use the Kai'li at 43.5".

I'm telling you. My standard head at 9.5 draw and 43.5" with my old grafalloy Blue and a few grams of lead tape on the heel is a weapon.

At some point I'm still going to buy a tour length 10.5 F9 and try my shaft in it just because I can't help myself, but I really don't think it will win me over. It sounds like ball speed will almost surely be better, but I have a lot of confidence with that LTD. I really enjoy standing over that club.

There's a used one (I'm LH remember) for $90 on the bay. I'm just in a tight money situation right now.... I gotta list some of current stuff for sale in order to use those funds to pay for that. With 3 inches of snow and ice falling yesterday, I'm not seeing the course for a minimum of 2-3 weeks still. Last year I don't think I ended up starting the season til the last week of March.

Yeah. I need to sell some things and build up the PayPal war chest. I start accumulating in winter because I’m so damn bored.

Like I really needed another LTD head? LOL! I couldn’t help it. The bidding was only at 70 bucks when I put in $81.75. I never thought I’d win. Oops!

Good info. I have a question: just recently got a new LTD Pro; first time out was great. But the weather has been lousy here with snow/rain plus high winds. What I've noticed so far is this is a VERY low spin driver, much lower than I've seen before. I am a low spin hitter anyway, I hit up quite a bit too. I am trying to figure out a good combination of tee height and AOA to maximize the distance. I searched but videos seem to be all about how to reduce spin, haven't seen any on how to optimize spin. I hit a draw naturally, straight ball flight quite often. I hit it high. SS is 109-113 right now. Today I teed it up fairly high and got more carry but it still seemed to be falling out of the sky. Anyone have a recipe book for guidelines on optimizing flight?
Only a few things to increase spin. Loft up to the maximum and reduce AOA. If needed, switch to a standard LTD head which lofts all the way up to 12. Go to a higher spin shaft. If you play it under standard length you could add weight to the lower rear sole of the head. Unfortunately it takes a lot of weight to make a difference. Certainly at least 10+ grams. If you do all of these and If it still doesn’t help you sell the club.

I bought an LTD Black also, just arrived. So I'll experiment between the two and also different loft settings and ball position before I try different shafts. But it will have to stop snowing first, damn winter.

Well finally the sun made an appearance so had a chance to test these on the range; Rogue vs LTD Pro vs. LTD Black. No contest. The Cobras were easily well past the Rogue today, at least 20 yards. Hard to have 100% confidence in the comparison just because the conditions were pretty cold and the balls were experienced, so some of the balls may not have given a perfect indication of potential. But really it was quite clear that the Rogue was not in the same ballpark. Dispersion was also better with the LTD's and they were very forgiving.

Today I did spend more time with the Black than the Pro, but it was because the Black was really working for me. What an awesome machine. It was Thor's Hammer today. Nice 5 yard draws consistently. Even mishits were straight and pretty long. And when I'm getting these kinds of results it just leads to more confidence, bigger swings and better results.

re adjustments: I did try teeing it lower but that didnt work; what I did was lower my AOA and Dynamic Loft and the results were great.

p.s. bought the LTD Black from RBG and they were awesome, very professional to deal with.

p.p.s. I forgot to mention - usually I loft down on the driver to the lowest setting because I was hitting it so high, to 8* or 8.5* on most heads. But on the LTD Pro 9.5 or 10 seems to work better; on the black I was at 10.5* today

I'm planning on buying a regular LTD Black head off ebay soon, if not even just to see how the head weights compare. I think my LTD Pro must have been an outlier because it's just so dang heavy feeling. I think though this week just for kicks I'm going to toss my 3w shaft in there.. who knows maybe I'll Rickie Fowler it for a while.

Phenomenal Driver. Bought the LTD Pro new and paired it with the Kuro Kage DC 70TX and it's working great for me so far. I've only hit it outside a couple times (Long Island winter), but it's been fantastic on the monitors. Even when I did hit it outside, it's been pretty straight. Tee height wasn't in my favor so I was hitting it a bit low on the face (and low in the air), but that's a good sign because I hit my old Driver incredibly high. I've gained ~15-20 yards in carry alone it seems switching to this setup according to Trackman, so I can't wait to get it on the course.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Just so everyone knows, and some may have read this already, but The LTD REALLY likes to be hit slightly above center and slightly toward the toe.

The sweet spot is not dead center. If you catch it 1/4 inch high and 1/4 inch toward the toe it goes into beast mode.

I’ve been playing it long enough that my subconscious knows that and just tries automatically looks for that spot. It sounds and feels different when you catch it there.

The one thing the club DOES NOT like is to be hit low on the face. Some of the newer drivers do better with that miss.

Totally agree, It feels way different when you strike it high toe compared to any where else on the face. My #1 miss is low on the face and it's not great... which I figured with a CG so low it would do okay on low hits. Launches high though so I think I'm going to experiment tee'ing it pretty low and just swing around 0 AoA, sort of like how I'd hit a 3w tee ball. Even at 9.5 loft I would expect to still get like 13 or 14* launch with gearing.

Totally agree, It feels way different when you strike it high toe compared to any where else on the face. My #1 miss is low on the face and it's not great... which I figured with a CG so low it would do okay on low hits. Launches high though so I think I'm going to experiment tee'ing it pretty low and just swing around 0 AoA, sort of like how I'd hit a 3w tee ball. Even at 9.5 loft I would expect to still get like 13 or 14* launch with gearing.

I’m about 0 to +1 AoA and I play mine at 43.5” and 9.5 draw, or more upright and lofted DOWN 1 degree. It’s actually too low lofted for max distance if it’s not firm and fast conditions but My “go to” shot is a fairly low 85-90 foot apex 5 yard cut. If I want to jack it up over 100 feet for a downwind par 5 I can still do it but it takes a very deliberate AoA increase and the ball a couple inches farther forward in my stance.

When you hit it right, it feels buttery soft and has a great muted thwaack. It's interesting, that shots low on the face tend to spin up because it's one of the lowest COG drivers out. I would've thought that this would mitigate the low-strike miss. It still feels good there, but it definitely spins more.

I tried a different setup and was hitting it higher on the face (middle-ish it seemed) than normal, which was great. Saw my highest ball speed ever yesterday at the PGA SS on an aboutGolf simulator (same one Alex Etches from Golfbox uses) and it felt great. The club is just an all-around performer. It looks great, sounds great, feels great and performs great.

GO AWAY WINTER. I WANNA HIT MY LTD PRO ON THE COURSE.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Anyone remember this article?? If you did this comparison and more logically considered the LTD and the Pro the same club, which it is other than loft and lie, then LTD actually won the WRX gear trials in 2016 with 8 overall medals.

http://www.golfwrx.com/352108/2016-gear-trials-best-drivers-club-test/