2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

To all the arm lock users

BrendanKre

Anyone know more details on Adam's putter?

They talked about it a little on the telecast. Believe it was a custom prototype Cameron Fastback. 7 degrees of loft? 6 degrees per Adam Scott in Golf.com Wall to Wall equipment article.

My question - I've seen a few of the older posts in this thread note that they place the ball right off the left foot. And I've also seen that most of the arm lock putters are much more lofted because of the natural forward lean. But wouldn't placing the ball up off the left foot negate and add more loft to the putter in the setup?

There are many factors in play with one's preferred posture and your desired playing length, how har it goes up your arm, the lie angle, arc, ball position, all work together to compute your needed loft, and hopefully it looks good with whatever the milled loft of the putter face is...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I play it maybe slightly forward from a traditional. I think you need to mess around with one to see, people will have slightly different specs. The older betti models have way more offset to account for the higher loft than their last two models and would be played further back by most people I think.

Thanks - I think I'm curious enough to give it a try now...

You've got probably a 5% chance an armlock off the shelf will fit you. Most people pick one up and its awkward as all get out. Must be adjusted to you if you are really going to try it. I made my brother one for Christmas and he likes it so far....

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

I play it maybe slightly forward from a traditional. I think you need to mess around with one to see, people will have slightly different specs. The older betti models have way more offset to account for the higher loft than their last two models and would be played further back by most people I think.

Some background I think I just got lucky and setting up square worked for me. Like I’d put the putter down so it looked square and stepping into the putter felt natural. I still took it somewhere and used it on a SAM puttlab, the numbers were basically perfect. Feels straight back straight through but that’s not really possible, I was getting 2* open on the way back, square at impact, 2* shut on the follow through. We watched video with some lines drawn next to Kuchar and it looked basically the same although his grip hit closer to his elbow so we added 2” to the stock Kuchar 2 first release and that’s what I’ve been using since, probably 5 years. I’ve gone from a 3 or 4 to a +2. I’m 6’2 with average length arms for my height I’d say.

Kuchar went to a shorter putter, I have a tour stock putter that was made for him. I don’t use it often as it doesn’t feel as solid on my arm being shorter. It’s got a weirder shaft bend at the bottom creating even more offset.

Since he’s stayed shorter and gone less offset and less loft it looks like, it’s actually pretty easy to spot in his setup on tv as well as top line pictures on the bettinardi website and 5* being the stock loft. I couldn’t just go order at 7* to match my current one because of the change in offset, I never got along well with last years although I’ve talked about my issues with the finish on it so I booted it after only a few rounds.

I’ve had a number of people I know try it because of my putting. My brother used last years SS for most of this season, he putted better especially on short putts but he’s a hot head and only remembers the misses so going back to something else this year I think. I also saw some of the speed control issues that made me stick with my old one.

Another buddy and poster here has tried it once or twice but never got comfortable. Last I talked to him he’s going to give it a go again, think I took too much $ off him with mine :).

I think it’s really important to go to a shop, set it up square, and if stepping into that doesn’t feel natural then figure out what you’d need to modify. If it feels like your contorting your arm too much to create forward press go with the newer models. If the butt end doesn’t stay firmly near your elbow then go with something that has more shaft lean required. If your still interested after reading that novel I can go into what the setup feels like to me in the hands in more detail.

• Like 1

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Some background I think I just got lucky and setting up square worked for me. Like I’d put the putter down so it looked square and stepping into the putter felt natural. I still took it somewhere and used it on a SAM puttlab, the numbers were basically perfect. Feels straight back straight through but that’s not really possible, I was getting 2* open on the way back, square at impact, 2* shut on the follow through. We watched video with some lines drawn next to Kuchar and it looked basically the same although his grip hit closer to his elbow so we added 2” to the stock Kuchar 2 first release and that’s what I’ve been using since, probably 5 years. I’ve gone from a 3 or 4 to a +2. I’m 6’2 with average length arms for my height I’d say.

Kuchar went to a shorter putter, I have a tour stock putter that was made for him. I don’t use it often as it doesn’t feel as solid on my arm being shorter. It’s got a weirder shaft bend at the bottom creating even more offset.

Since he’s stayed shorter and gone less offset and less loft it looks like, it’s actually pretty easy to spot in his setup on tv as well as top line pictures on the bettinardi website and 5* being the stock loft. I couldn’t just go order at 7* to match my current one because of the change in offset, I never got along well with last years although I’ve talked about my issues with the finish on it so I booted it after only a few rounds.

I’ve had a number of people I know try it because of my putting. My brother used last years SS for most of this season, he putted better especially on short putts but he’s a hot head and only remembers the misses so going back to something else this year I think. I also saw some of the speed control issues that made me stick with my old one.

Another buddy and poster here has tried it once or twice but never got comfortable. Last I talked to him he’s going to give it a go again, think I took too much $ off him with mine :).

I think it’s really important to go to a shop, set it up square, and if stepping into that doesn’t feel natural then figure out what you’d need to modify. If it feels like your contorting your arm too much to create forward press go with the newer models. If the butt end doesn’t stay firmly near your elbow then go with something that has more shaft lean required. If your still interested after reading that novel I can go into what the setup feels like to me in the hands in more detail.

Thanks - all helpful, and I think that last paragraph makes a lot of sense. I think looking at different setup methods being used would be good too, to see what feels comfortable (I.e. ball position vs corresponding forward press, etc). That's probably a good step, and I might reach out after I can get into a shop if it doesn't immediately feel totally wrong.

Original kuchar betti is the best version IMO...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

I bought a yes sandy 42" belly putter that I'm going to modify

What kind of grip do you guys use? I was thinking of changing from original to a super stroke 17"

Any other recommendations?0d7e7950896d4ac7b7c5388eb702fa93.jpg44cf0a11e4849cecbb71159dc8f18ac0.jpg31a5c7890a2fc62d6c3ed375536f2fd6.jpg

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash Tripple Diamond *9, Fujikura Motore X F1 6 XStiff

Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 

Irons: Mizuno MP5

Wedges: Honma

Putter: Scotty Kombi Long

Ball: Pro v1 

Get the sandy set up to your specs. If you need to go shorter and are regripping anyway, just trim it with grip on it. Try it out. Adjust, then see if you want a new grip.

And I just saw another top player switched to arm lock....

Bubba Watson!

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Hells yeah! Nice tip to just trim before removing grip. Getting correct length is key to success.

Want to get a build going too. Not a huge fans of the super stroke 17. Wish you could get it in the 2.0 or 1.0 size. 1.3 feels a touch too big.

Winn has a new 17 black wrap style grip looks solid. I find the 15 inch is just a bit to short.

Rosemark also has a 17 version that only weighs 88 grams too. Nice shape to it.

The grip Bryson and Bubba are using is the new 17 jumbomax. But looks like it's on backorder now.

posted in another thread, just ordered a cleveland almost belly to start my project, it should be fun to say the least

It's a nice feeling putter, it's harder to bend, but will work for you....

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

I have a Bettinardi Kuchar armlock, has about 7 degrees of loft I think.

I found that I was far more comfortable actually gripping down on it, so I cut the putter down to 34 inches. I use it sometimes and generally putt well with it, I like the fact that it forces me to have the large forward press and helps me hit through the ball; obviously that is personal to me :)

Hells yeah! Nice tip to just trim before removing grip. Getting correct length is key to success.

Want to get a build going too. Not a huge fans of the super stroke 17. Wish you could get it in the 2.0 or 1.0 size. 1.3 feels a touch too big.

Winn has a new 17 black wrap style grip looks solid. I find the 15 inch is just a bit to short.

Rosemark also has a 17 version that only weighs 88 grams too. Nice shape to it.

The grip Bryson and Bubba are using is the new 17 jumbomax. But looks like it's on backorder now.

If you turn the flat side of the 1.3 towards your arm the grip will feel smaller. That is what I did and it helped.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Ive had the Betti SS28 SB in the cart for the last week. I want to see what the new Odyssey Arm Lock putters look like first. Its hard to drop $450 on a putter that you cant try anywhere around you.

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Anyone have trouble having big forearms using the armlock?

Srixon ZX5 MKII 8.5* LS Ventus Black 7 X

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 13* Ventus Black 8 X

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 18* Ventus Black 8 X

Srixon ZX5 MKII 3 - 7 ZX7 8-P DG X100 Tour Issue

Cleveland RTX 6 Zip Core Tour Rack 56 Full & 60 Full

Odyssey OG WH Nano 7 

Srixon Z Star XV

If you have big drumsticks you need to have the ball forward. If you can get the butt shorter up the arm, there is less meat and will be easier on the angles.

But it also depends on how bent your arms are, more elbows bent (elbows at sides) means more shaft angle, and you would not notice as much the angle or goes down the arm. If you like straight elbows, ball position needs to be forward. Mess around with it and get comfortable then Modify to your comfortable positions...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

So i was way in on arm lock and very committed to it but after hours and hours of technique practice and some good results, but... to be frank, I didn't think it was giving me any better results than what I was getting from a traditional putter.

In particular I cannot quite shake it, I have an awful tendency for the pulls with arm locking, it seems like I pull almost everything.

So I went back to a regular length putter, but with a change, the Stricker method. What he calls for is a firm left hand dominant stroke where he ulnar deviates "cups" his left wrist and grips the club in his palm rather than his fingers. Then you match the putter shaft to the angle of your forearms, hence his heel slightly off the ground. it provided a sense of "locking" that I had never felt before in a regular length putter. Guess it helps to listen to one of the best putters ever.

And, to my surprise without the hours of grinding or setup work with the arm lock I was hitting better putts in seriously about 3.5 minutes. Its hard to find the right balance where I was putting in a ton of work and seeing marginal results with arm lock, for a long time I thought I just needed time to get used to it but now i'm really not sure if its giving the proper results. Maybe not the "advantage" I was starting to feel I thought it was.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

• 2 weeks later...

So I was thinking of modifying the yes sandy but that putter never showed up....so I went for another putter the bettinardi QB #8 I also bought a superstroke belly grip 1.0

My thoughts are to extend the shaft from 34 to 38-40 and then se if I need to change loft or lie 4f3eaa74ee7041bef0713dddb3b39e4c.jpg41a04207c9659ecfcb5ce8cf9c2e3ec3.jpg7af52d922e29fa3da8848d6d69fb1d40.jpg

Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 

So I was thinking of modifying the yes sandy but that putter never showed up....so I went for another putter the bettinardi QB #8 I also bought a superstroke belly grip 1.0

My thoughts are to extend the shaft from 34 to 38-40 and then se if I need to change loft or lie 4f3eaa74ee7041bef0713dddb3b39e4c.jpg41a04207c9659ecfcb5ce8cf9c2e3ec3.jpg7af52d922e29fa3da8848d6d69fb1d40.jpg

Probably will feel to light for you....the head weight is only 370ish grams., also, the shaft will be too flexible for adding more weight...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Probably will feel to light for you....the head weight is only 370ish grams., also, the shaft will be too flexible for adding more weight...

Well I'm not convinced about that I have seen arm lock putter from 360 up to 400 and I would think the 380-400 would be to heavy for me

And it's a project if it doesn't work I will figure out what its missing and buy something else that work better :) I can always take it back to it's original state

Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 

Well I'm not convinced about that I have seen arm lock putter from 360 up to 400 and I would think the 380-400 would be to heavy for me

And it's a project if it doesn't work I will figure out what its missing and buy something else that work better :) I can always take it back to it's original state

Okay man. I've done alot of these, so just trying to save you some time and money...

If interested I can check my heads I have that may work for you and get you something that would work better. I have built multiple arm locks and have used them for years. And I've helped others on the site do the same.

Let me know if you would like help or want to buy something of mine for a fair price. I will never use them all so might as well...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Okay man. I've done alot of these, so just trying to save you some time and money...

If interested I can check my heads I have that may work for you and get you something that would work better. I have built multiple arm locks and have used them for years. And I've helped others on the site do the same.

Let me know if you would like help or want to buy something of mine for a fair price. I will never use them all so might as well...

Yes I'm not saying no to some help send me a pm I wasent able to send you one....

Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 

Yes I'm not saying no to some help send me a pm I wasent able to send you one....

Unsure why but cant DM you either....

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

If you already bought it you may as well try...

I would suggest you try to keep the grip side as light as possible. Golfworks sells graphite belly putter extensions, use one of those. Plus a lighter grip would prob go a long way. I think the super stroke 1.3 17" is 85 grams. Almost half of that 21" grip.

Get a roll of the wide lead tape with your golfworks order to fine tune the weight on the sole if needed.