Golf balls

golfrl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not change balls based on wind. Change ball types/brand as infrequently as possible.

Drop a V1x off in the fringe and I'll usually be able chip up for a make-able putt. However...drop a DUO 29 off in the fringe and I may blow it 20 feet by the hole...or even come up woefully short.

Same with putter. The DUO 29 will spring off the putter face like nobody's business. Short game will suffer.

Try to minimize variables.

Do you change golf balls you typically use when playing on windy days?

My son insists on prov1x because he likes the feel with his irons and around the greens.

How old is your kid?

He is 9YO and his club head is around 68-70mph. He usually swings great for his age but seem to suffer on the windy days. I don't play so can't figure out what is missing.

My son insists on prov1x because he likes the feel with his irons and around the greens.

How old is your kid?

He is 9YO and his club head is around 68-70mph. He usually swings great for his age but seem to suffer on the windy days. I don't play so can't figure out what is missing.

ProV1X has a high compression meant for higher swing speeds to get all the appropriate benefits of the ball. It has a 95 compression which means you probably need at least 100 mph swing speed if not more to actually compress the ball. The way the ball is constructed and the dimple pattern make it a high spin golf ball. As a 9 year old with a slow swing speed he is losing distance with this ball compared to an E6, Project a, DUO, or a lot of other softer compression balls. With the ProV1X being a high spin ball with a higher trajectory wind is killing his ball and creating more spin which means he is losing distance.

Bottom line, there is no reason a 9 year old should be swinging a ProV1X ball.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

How old is your kid?

I don't want to speak for HH here...but...I think the genesis of his question is that your son doesn't have the swing speed to balloon the ball (or properly compress the ball). You mentioned that you don't play...so...I'll try to explain.

When a player has a very high swing speed...more spin is imparted on the ball at impact (with irons). If that player is hitting into the wind...the excess spin into the wind will cause the ball to shoot up (think FA18 taking off...then climbing vertically)...only to fall out of the sky and come up short of target.

In your son's case...he doesn't have the SS to balloon the ball. The V1x is a very high compression ball that's intended for players with Driver swing speeds >105 MPH.

But...that's not to say it can't work for < 105 MPH.

Edit....looks like HH and I were typing at the same time. Same general message though.

Do not change balls based on wind. Change ball types/brand as infrequently as possible.

Drop a V1x off in the fringe and I'll usually be able chip up for a make-able putt. However...drop a DUO 29 off in the fringe and I may blow it 20 feet by the hole...or even come up woefully short.

Same with putter. The DUO 29 will spring off the putter face like nobody's business. Short game will suffer.

What shafts does he play? If your playing a junior shaft and there swinging more the 60 mph he might need to move to a ladies or even one the softer senior graphite shafts.

Anytime I see extra ballooning it's usually the shaft and has nothing to do with the ball based on it being a proV 1

Also the wilson Duo you are using may not be a urethane ball. The proV1 and other balls like it do roll better when putting and a big reason why everyone actually plays them.

What shafts does he play? If your playing a junior shaft and there swinging more the 60 mph he might need to move to a ladies or even one the softer senior graphite shafts.

Anytime I see extra ballooning it's usually the shaft and has nothing to do with the ball based on it being a proV 1

Also the wilson Duo you are using may not be a urethane ball. The proV1 and other balls like it do roll better when putting and a big reason why everyone actually plays them.

He doesn't balloon the ball.

I do though...depending on the ball and shaft. I play C-Taper S+ 125 to minimize some of these variables.

Also...at 60 MPH Driver SS...ballooning the ball in the way I describe it above is almost impossible.

I do though...depending on the ball and shaft. I play C-Taper S+ 125 to minimize some of these variables.

Also...at 60 MPH Driver SS...ballooning the ball in the way I describe it above is almost impossible.

Yeah... I was going to say that no where did he mention he was ballooning the ball. This is him using the wrong ball.

My kid just went through what Tiger was describing. Was ballooning the ball with his M2 and a regular shaft. He was carrying the ball 225 and was getting zero roll out. Leezer told me to try a Stiff Shaft as well as his coach. We put a stiff shaft in the driver I had laying around the house from an old R1 and it immediately brought the ball flight down. Was getting maybe 5 yards less carry but picked up 15 yards of roll out. Total was around 240. Kind of figured it was time for a new Driver. Went to a Taylormade Demo Day and they fitted him up with an M5 10.5 with Atmos Black Stiff Shaft. They compared the numbers with his M2 and Ball Speed was up, spin rate down, and picked up around 9 yards of distance over the M2. Was a no brainer. Ordered with the AJGA Discount for $330 and will have it on Monday. Kid is excited.

Yeah... I was going to say that no where did he mention he was ballooning the ball. This is him using the wrong ball.

My kid just went through what Tiger was describing. Was ballooning the ball with his M2 and a regular shaft. He was carrying the ball 225 and was getting zero roll out. Leezer told me to try a Stiff Shaft as well as his coach. We put a stiff shaft in the driver I had laying around the house from an old R1 and it immediately brought the ball flight down. Was getting maybe 5 yards less carry but picked up 15 yards of roll out. Total was around 240. Kind of figured it was time for a new Driver. Went to a Taylormade Demo Day and they fitted him up with an M5 10.5 with Atmos Black Stiff Shaft. They compared the numbers with his M2 and Ball Speed was up, spin rate down, and picked up around 9 yards of distance over the M2. Was a no brainer. Ordered with the AJGA Discount for $330 and will have it on Monday. Kid is excited.

What are your thoughts on M5 for someone who is about 56" tall. He has been using the USKids driver and we will be going to a TM fitting next week. Any recommendations for shafts?

We tried the Cobra F7 39" about a year ago and he found it heavy. His swing got flatter as well. Would we notice a difference from F7?

Thanks everyone. Have been thinking about taking him for a ball fitting and hoping he will actually switch. We could use more yardage in the next worlds, if the ball switch works.

Has anyone tried ball fitting for juniors and noticed a difference?

I got sleeves of a bunch of different balls and had the boy try them out. I don't remember the results of each but we settled on the Bridgestone B XS (Tiger's ball). It's a 75 compression ball which puts it above the TM Project A but much lower than any other premium ball. And it's great in the wind.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

What are your thoughts on M5 for someone who is about 56" tall. He has been using the USKids driver and we will be going to a TM fitting next week. Any recommendations for shafts?

We tried the Cobra F7 about a year ago and he found it heavy. His swing got flatter as well. Would we notice a difference from F7?

The Cobra F9 head weight is lower than most other premium options right now. Tons of great stuff being reported on its results these days.

We tried the Cobra F7 39" about a year ago and he found it heavy. His swing got flatter as well. Would we notice a difference from F7?

If you are at a TM fitting have them put the Driver he is currently using on the trackman with the M5. My initial reaction is the M5 will be too heavy for him because of the weight. M6 would be a better option. The TM guys will know what typ of shaft to put him in.

What I did with my kid is would just purchase the lightest weight used Driver I could find. His first OEM was the Jetspeed with a Senior Shaft. Got it used left handed pretty cheap. His next was a new Old Jetspeed with regular shaft. Worked really well for him.

I will add this as well. His last two Drivers he helped pay for. $250 for his M2 two years ago and $250 for the M5. Both times it was his idea and was proud of him for putting some skin in the game.

No.

Don't change based on season, current weather conditions or for any reason, other than having gone through a ball fitting.

Not to deviate from the topic, but this reminds me of the time I took my then 10-year old into golf galaxy for a ball fitting. The employee looked at my son, chuckled and just guided us to a rack with a bunch of junior clubs, saying he needs new clubs.

It's difficult to find a store which takes junior golfers seriously...

But as far as any actual fitting goes, we just played with as many balls as possible. Pro V1, V1x, Bridgestone 330s, Wilson Duo etc... In the end, we ended up with 16/17 Chromesoft as he felt it had the best feel. I stocked up like 10 boxes when they went on clearance.

No.

Don't change based on season, current weather conditions or for any reason, other than having gone through a ball fitting.

Not to deviate from the topic, but this reminds me of the time I took my then 10-year old into golf galaxy for a ball fitting. The employee looked at my son, chuckled and just guided us to a rack with a bunch of junior clubs, saying he needs new clubs.

It's difficult to find a store which takes junior golfers seriously...

The only thing I would let the guys at GG fit us for is glove and shoes.

Thanks everyone. Have been thinking about taking him for a ball fitting and hoping he will actually switch. We could use more yardage in the next worlds, if the ball switch works.

Has anyone tried ball fitting for juniors and noticed a difference?

I got sleeves of a bunch of different balls and had the boy try them out. I don't remember the results of each but we settled on the Bridgestone B XS (Tiger's ball). It's a 75 compression ball which puts it above the TM Project A but much lower than any other premium ball. And it's great in the wind.

About the only real way to do a ball fitting for juniors. Now I have a crap ton of extra balls what to do with them.

Anyone use the Wilson Duo U for younger kids 6-8 years old? Daughter seems to get significant more spin on chips and pitches than other balls! Kids that age need spin for launch, seems to be the best ball I have found for her.

Lots of kids use that ball. Great for the youngsters for the exact reason you mentioned.

For a junior that age looking for good feel, I might check out the Taylormade Project a. No doubt that ProV1 is a good ball, but there's no reason at that age or speed to be using it. In fact, it might be hurting him distance wise. You might also take a look into women's balls. I wasn't a fan of the idea about 10 years ago when I was that age, but I played well with them. I remember I used the Nike Karma. The lower compression really helped with distance. A ball like a ProV1 will just act like a rock off the face with no compression at that speed. I remember wanting to use the Nike One Tour D because that's what TW used back then and thought it'd be cool, but no way that ball would've worked best for me.

Anyone use the Wilson Duo U for younger kids 6-8 years old? Daughter seems to get significant more spin on chips and pitches than other balls! Kids that age need spin for launch, seems to be the best ball I have found for her.

Lots of kids use that ball. Great for the youngsters for the exact reason you mentioned.

but now its discontinued replaced by the Wilson duo professional. Which in my limited testing not as good.