Rider fee if injured

So long story short I had to have surgery and will not be able to play for about 6 more months. We go on a small buddies trip every year to Palm Springs. I'm still going with my buddies but can't play. I will be having my cast removed a couple days before we leave and will be in a walking boot. We play a mixture of private and public course. I'm not so much worried about the private courses. I have a feeling I may have to pay a cart or riders fee when we go to the public courses. If I have to pay I will, but really would feel annoyed by it since I literally can not play or walk the course. I guess the question is should would you expect to pay one and would you be annoyed by it?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about the surgery & hope the recovery goes well! I'd say a course is well within their rights to ask for a rider fee, if they so choose... Depending on the size of your group and the demand & availability of tee times at the courses, the seat you occupy could be viewed as "inventory" that could be sold to another customer paying full-fare...

Last year about this time I was in Palm Springs with three other couples. My wife had recently broken her foot, and was in a cast. She came with us to the golf course several days, and every time she had to pay the "rider fee". Its pretty normal, so you should expect it and accept it gracefully. Make sure you call in advance, at lest one course there (Eagle Falls) does not allow ANY non-golfers on the course.

Good luck on your recovery, it sucks when you can't play.

I would expect the "rider fee" to be safe. My wife does not play but few courses you came along to hang out and we have paid almost every time. I get it if someone is playing the course but just riding along sight seeing, its just a way to snag a few extra dollars. "Selling the seat space" so to speak.

When we do family trips I am solo on the golf and I can count on one hand how many times I have been asked to share a cart with someone else in the last 10 years easy.

*Last time was Pine Needles just last June which was great honestly, as it was a high school kid and he knew the course inside and out. Huge help since it was my first time playing PN. I cant even remember honestly the time before that. At Tobacco Road had 3 carts in our group and 4 on the back nine as someone jumped in..... All single players =)

Appreciate the responses. I pretty much assumed at the public tracks that they would charge one. Shouldn't really be an issue at the private ones I don't think. I did call and PGA West has a $35 rider fee. Little bit steep for the other rider fees I have paid, but that's just PGA West for you (sorry, not a PGA West fan, terrible experiences there but the group vote wins).

Last year about this time I was in Palm Springs with three other couples. My wife had recently broken her foot, and was in a cast. She came with us to the golf course several days, and every time she had to pay the "rider fee". Its pretty normal, so you should expect it and accept it gracefully. Make sure you call in advance, at lest one course there (Eagle Falls) does not allow ANY non-golfers on the course.

Good luck on your recovery, it sucks when you can't play.

Paying is normal although it is often waived depending on the course pressure. I've had it waived at PGA West and Rams Hill. Eagle Falls has not enforced the Non-golfer "rule" in the 3x I've been there in the last 2 yrs.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Speaking on the behalf of most courses that charge that fee:

IF you are riding a cart on the course, and something happens to you....whether that be a stray ball hitting you, or falling out of the cart, or anything that may cause some type of liability - if you have not paid some type of fee, the courts will (in most instances that I have researched) consider that person to be a trespasser.

Paying the fee should insure the fact that, in the event of some type of event that might cause injury - you (the rider) should be protected under any type of insurance held by the course, or by another golfer, if that is how the injury occurred.

This may not be the same in every state/region, but has definitely been the case at every course where I have worked over a 40+ year career.

“If I have to pay I will, but really would feel annoyed by it since I literally can not play or walk the course.”

In your own words - you literally cannot walk the course and you require the use of their cart in order to use their facility to your liking. Of course you should expect to pay, if a particular course does not impose the fee then be grateful to them. Don’t be petty and subject yourself to feeling annoyed for using a company’s products to fulfill your vacation desires. That’s not something to put on yourself as the “annoyance” is entirely self inflicted.

"If I have to pay I will, but really would feel annoyed by it since I literally can not play or walk the course."

In your own words - you literally cannot walk the course and you require the use of their cart in order to use their facility to your liking. Of course you should expect to pay, if a particular course does not impose the fee then be grateful to them. Don't be petty and subject yourself to feeling annoyed for using a company's products to fulfill your vacation desires. That's not something to put on yourself as the "annoyance" is entirely self inflicted.

I would agree with this. I'm not so much annoyed about paying the rider fee, because I have paid those before. It's really the fact that I have to pay money for I course I want to play, but physically can't, just to ride around.

We booked this trip well before I knew I was going to have surgery and rather than back out on my buddies and make them cover my share of the housing and rental car, I am still going to go. So if you want to say petty that's fine, because I am. I like my money lol.

If being petty won’t ruin your mood, then have it I guess. For me being petty is an attitude killer and bleeds into other areas of the day, so personally I’d pay the rider fee and be happy about it rather than decide that is somehow unfair and let that fester all day, then repeat again every day for a week long trip.

"If I have to pay I will, but really would feel annoyed by it since I literally can not play or walk the course."

In your own words - you literally cannot walk the course and you require the use of their cart in order to use their facility to your liking. Of course you should expect to pay, if a particular course does not impose the fee then be grateful to them. Don't be petty and subject yourself to feeling annoyed for using a company's products to fulfill your vacation desires. That's not something to put on yourself as the "annoyance" is entirely self inflicted.

I would agree with this. I'm not so much annoyed about paying the rider fee, because I have paid those before. It's really the fact that I have to pay money for I course I want to play, but physically can't, just to ride around.

We booked this trip well before I knew I was going to have surgery and rather than back out on my buddies and make them cover my share of the housing and rental car, I am still going to go. So if you want to say petty that's fine, because I am. I like my money lol.

First of all I want to say you are a stand up guy for going and covering your costs. I however cannot imagine why some one that agrees on going on a trip with their buddies would even think if they couldn't go that their part of the costs would then fall on the other members of the group that are going. I'm sure the whole trip was base on a 4 way split not a three way. That way of thinking is the main reason I don't set up trips any more. You basically have to get everyone's money up front in case someone backs out. And if they can't go you feel like crap when you use their money for what was intended when they do back out. I know I'm petty. I like my money too. When I went on trips I knew what my share was and I didn't expect to have to make up for those that backed out, I'll say it again. You are a stand up guy for going. Make the best of it.

First of all I want to say you are a stand up guy for going and covering your costs. I however cannot imagine why some one that agrees on going on a trip with their buddies would even think if they couldn't go that their part of the costs would then fall on the other members of the group that are going. I'm sure the whole trip was base on a 4 way split not a three way. That way of thinking is the main reason I don't set up trips any more. You basically have to get everyone's money up front in case someone backs out. And if they can't go you feel like crap when you use their money for what was intended when they do back out. I know I'm petty. I like my money too. When I went on trips I knew what my share was and I didn't expect to have to make up for those that backed out, I'll say it again. You are a stand up guy for going. Make the best of it.

On this topic: On occasion I get a phone call from a friend that someone can't make a golf outing and asking if I want to play. They tell me it's all paid for. Free golf! I'm in. But I feel a little guilty keeping the shirt or door prize I get. I thought I should have given that booty to the guy that paid but couldn't make it. My friends all told me to keep the stuff, it's part of the package. What say you?

I've never heard of a wife, girlfriend, or non playing friend being charged a cart fee. I work at a large country club, 54 holes, and we charge for many things, but not a non playing rider, as long as the non rider is the 4th of the group. Two carts only per group.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Having worked at a golf course I know that we require a small fee to cover liability. Although it is rare, injuries do happen. Our insurance company considered you a customer if you paid the fee. It also occasionally works out that a "rider" will require a group of 4 golfers to take 3 carts (4 golfers plus the rider) instead of 2. Therefore the fee also covers an extra cart.

I've never heard of a wife, girlfriend, or non playing friend being charged a cart fee. I work at a large country club, 54 holes, and we charge for many things, but not a non playing rider, as long as the non rider is the 4th of the group. Two carts only per group.

This fee is largely nonexistent in the private club world but not uncommon for a daily fee to charge. It might be for liability, it might be for policy, it might be because some richardhead ticked off the GM.

We booked this trip well before I knew I was going to have surgery and rather than back out on my buddies and make them cover my share of the housing and rental car.... I like my money lol.

That way of thinking is the main reason I don't set up trips any more. You basically have to get everyone's money up front in case someone backs out. And if they can't go you feel like crap when you use their money for what was intended when they do back out.

That is literally the purpose of travel insurance.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

On this topic: On occasion I get a phone call from a friend that someone can't make a golf outing and asking if I want to play. They tell me it's all paid for. Free golf! I'm in. But I feel a little guilty keeping the shirt or door prize I get. I thought I should have given that booty to the guy that paid but couldn't make it. My friends all told me to keep the stuff, it's part of the package. What say you?

I've had that situation come up few times over the yrs. First off if it was something I really wanted to do in the first place I'll offer to give the fee to person that couldn't make it and take their place.

To answer your question. There have been a few times I turned down an event and later on I got the call that someone has paid and backed out. I'll say see if you can find someone that will pay but if you can't I'll go if it is "free golf". In that case I make sure the person involved knows it is on their dime and I am not expecting to pay. That has happened a few times and I have always given them the booty such as goody bags and door prizes. There was a scramble I went to for free and I won closest to the pin on a par 3 and the prize was a SM four5 bag. I kept that since I felt I won that myself. I always felt the right thing to do was to offer the booty to the persom that paid but if your friends say keep it I wouldn't give it much thought. Someone played on my dime once and they won some nice prizes at that event. I didn't get anything, I really didn't expect to and there was no hard feelings about it.

As someone who struggles with gout, I can't understand how being in a walking boot would prevent one from playing golf, especially if it's on the back foot in your stance. One-legged golf is still golf.

Had a tendon transfer in my foot. Will get out of the cast 2 days before we leave. Will not have put weight on it for over 6 weeks. I' m not entirely sure how much I will be able to do, and undoubtedly will not do anything to damage it because I do not want to have to repeat this. If I feel OK, I may try a round or two on one leg.

If I was visiting a course and playing on my own and using a cart and was told that if my wife was a rider and not playing and had to pay I would probably not pay for her and not play myself. I would ask at the pro shop before heading out but no matter how exclusive the course I would not pay for someone to ride along but that’s just me.

As someone who struggles with gout, I can't understand how being in a walking boot would prevent one from playing golf, especially if it's on the back foot in your stance. One-legged golf is still golf.

Had a tendon transfer in my foot. Will get out of the cast 2 days before we leave. Will not have put weight on it for over 6 weeks. I' m not entirely sure how much I will be able to do, and undoubtedly will not do anything to damage it because I do not want to have to repeat this. If I feel OK, I may try a round or two on one leg.

Not worth the risk..! Just my 2 cents. A good friend I play with had a tendon replaced in his foot last year and he was in a cast/boot for 6-8 weeks. It took 3-4 weeks of rehab (or more) to ensure everything is good. Its not worth the long term messing it up.

There are several reasons for a rider fee. In no particular order....

1. Are you using something that the course owner or operator incurs an expense to provide? You pay for it. If you take your girlfriend to an NFL game, do you expect her to get in for free just because she doesn’t really like football and probably won’t pay attention to a single play?

2. The insurance liability issue. Already covered.

3. The supply of carts issue. Courses generally only want to own or lease enough carts to accomodate a full field. Maybe that’s 75 to 80 carts. Then you have enough carts to accommodate 144 players even if a few carts might be out of service for mechanical or other reasons. Now suppose 15 or 20 or 25 of the 144 players bring out a friend to ride along Just because the weather is so nice or the scenery is so beautiful or because they just want to spend some time with their significant other. Now you don’t have enough carts for all the Paying golfers, and you didn’t get any revenue from the people who were just out for the ride. To accommodate this business plan, now maybe I have to own or lease 100 carts instead of 80. The money for those extra carts is either coming from a higher green fees or rider fees. Somebody has to pay for them.

4. See reason number 1 again. If you’re going to use A service that someone else incurs an expense to provide, that other person is going to want to get paid.

Not worth the risk..! Just my 2 cents. A good friend I play with had a tendon replaced in his foot last year and he was in a cast/boot for 6-8 weeks. It took 3-4 weeks of rehab (or more) to ensure everything is good. Its not worth the long term messing it up.

I was reading some blogs of people who had the surgery and it doesn’t seem very plausible that I will get to play. Seems the consensus that they were all walking with the aid of crutches for at least another week if not 3. Guess I’ll be cheering or booing on all the par 3’s.

Sorry to hear about the surgery & hope the recovery goes well! I'd say a course is well within their rights to ask for a rider fee, if they so choose... Depending on the size of your group and the demand & availability of tee times at the courses, the seat you occupy could be viewed as "inventory" that could be sold to another customer paying full-fare...

You are certainly right. BUT it would be a cheese dick move by the course to attempt to put an odd single in there to fill out a foursome for guys on a buddies trip.

Maybe call the courses ahead of time and ask them. Let them know that even though you are not playing you intend to spend money with the course, food at the turn, drinks from the beverage cart, shirt from the pro-shop and tip the staff. Basically have the convo with the manager/pro and let them know you don't intend to be a mooch even though you can't play.