Anyone else alarmed by price increases?

Cornwall1888

EVERYTHING and I mean everything is going up in America. It’s all about corporations wanting unrealistic profits so their shareholders can have gains.

Not unrealistic at all. Even at higher prices, consumers are still buying, so what’s the problem? The market will bear out when the line has been crossed. Sorry if you feel squeezed out. If you must blame someone, then blame the people who are willing to buy at these prices that you consider unreasonable. Obviously demand still exists.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mark ups on clubs ranges from 40 to 70% ... based on PUD prices (used to work at Golfsmith HQ) ... it really is geared to more profit from the affluent golfer who buys clubs, trades them in 6 months later for new clubs. This will not change until buyer behaviors change.

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

The mark ups on clubs ranges from 40 to 70% ... based on PUD prices (used to work at Golfsmith HQ) ... it really is geared to more profit from the affluent golfer who buys clubs, trades them in 6 months later for new clubs. This will not change until buyer behaviors change.

Exactly. This is basic economics.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

The markup over the last 20 years is not anything to get your panties in a was about, BUT .....

The massive climb in the last 18 months is DEFINITELY alarming .. surely you smoked meat eaters can agree with this !!

I'm not gonna lie, had a little Harvey's poutine for lunch yesterday. Straight to the pythons

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

This year prices seem to be going crazy, if you go with a top manufacturers a full set of new gear will cost you nearly £3000

Driver £500

Wood £270

2 hybrids/driving irons £440

Irons £1000

3 wedges £360

Putter £300

Drivers are becoming expensive due to the carbon, taylormade charging £230 for the gapr, callaway, ping and taylormade charging over £1000 for hollow irons, some wedges like ping glide forged and new vokey are over £150, scotty's have always been expensive but now Taylormade are charging £300 for a putter...

When one company increases prices they all follow, Cleveland rtx 3 were £89 when I bought them new, rtx 4 suddenly jump about 50% to £130 in one generation!!

Being in my 20's I'm getting more and more financial responsibilities so I'm feeling the price increases, it hasn't stopped my playing the game but it has made me move from considering new £1000 cf19's to £220 cf16's on eBay

I understand inflation and most of us live in capitalist countries and if you don't want to pay that much you don't have to buy but I can't help but feel these prices will discourage millions of potential young players from getting into the game, yesterday i told my cousin one club can be £500 these days, he almost fell off his chair shouting back 'for one club!?!?!'

I think the average age of golfers is about 50 and the clubs are obviously selling well to certain demographics but eventually these prices will force many to take up another sport

Thoughts?

I am also in my 20's and have noticed the clubs increasing. I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs. With student loans on the rise still its only a matter of time that this becomes a big issue. Not even with just clubs but the cost of memberships and everything. My club has probable 10 people under the age of 30 at it. Do you know how many of those people use golf carts? 0 Not because we want to be healthy or whatever, but because it is not needed to play golf. Guess who that ends up hurting, not me because I still play golf everyday, it hurts the club. And soon it will be you don't need to play golf because you have other priorities in life. Everyone at my club thinks its a joke but the average age is not staying the same or going down, its only going up and it will continue until everyone is gone.

Sorry for the rant but I know exactly what your saying and that is what has lead me to this wonderful site. So there are ways around inflation and to be honest buying last years models will not influence your game one way or the other.

I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs.

Why does anyone, let alone the “younger generation”, need to keep buying new clubs?

You don’t start out playing any sport needing to use the newest and best equipment available. Like I said above, there is a very healthy used and secondhand market out there.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

EVERYTHING and I mean everything is going up in America. Itâs all about corporations wanting unrealistic profits so their shareholders can have gains.

Not unrealistic at all. Even at higher prices, consumers are still buying, so whats the problem? The market will bear out when the line has been crossed. Sorry if you feel squeezed out. If you must blame someone, then blame the people who are willing to buy at these prices that you consider unreasonable. Obviously demand still exists.

Salaries are not going up at 13-15% a year.

Yet most services and products are.

Just to name a few off the top of my head, Power bill, Health Insurance, Water Utility, Prescription Drug Prices, Groceries, Fast Food, Sporting Events

And some companies like Amazon are cheapening their services to offer crappier products and hope people will not notice. In the last 5 years Amazon’s quality On Average of recommended products has gone way down.

I would not call it Willing with a gun to your head.

Just to name a few off the top of my head, Power bill, Health Insurance, Water Utility, Prescription Drug Prices, Groceries, Fast Food, Sporting Events

And some companies like Amazon are cheapening their services to offer crappier products and hope people will not notice. In the last 5 years Amazon’s quality On Average of recommended products has gone way down.

How you managed to equate golf equipment with utility bills and health insurance is beyond me.

Nobody needs that spiffy new M6 driver to stay alive. Those that want one and can afford it will buy one. Those that want one but can’t afford it will have to either do without, buy used, or find cheaper alternatives. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head when it comes to golf equipment.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

How you managed to equate golf equipment with utility bills and health insurance is beyond me.

Nobody needs that spiffy new M6 driver to stay alive. Those that want one and can afford it will buy one. Those that want one but can’t afford it will have to either do without, buy used, or find cheaper alternatives. Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head when it comes to golf equipment.

Golf equipment is a product, all products and services in the US are going thru the roof. Sound like they are also in the UK too .

Don’t ignore the forest for the trees.

Golf equipment is a product, all products and services in the US are going thru the roof. Sound like they are also in the UK too .

Irrelevant. While golf equipment is a product, it is a luxury item and not an essential of daily living, regardless of how much you think it is.

Again - if prices of golf equipment are too high, the market will bear that out. Demand will fall and companies will adjust their prices accordingly. We haven’t reached that point yet. If you really want to compel manufacturers to lower their prices, then do so by keeping your wallet closed. If enough people feel the same way you do, manufacturers will get the message.

So no, there’s nothing to get alarmed about. If you can’t afford the latest and greatest in golf gear, then do what any rational person would do and save up for it.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

Irrelevant. While golf equipment is a product, it is a luxury item and not an essential of daily living, regardless of how much you think it is.

Again - if prices of golf equipment are too high, the market will bear that out. Demand will fall and companies will adjust their prices accordingly. We haven’t reached that point yet. If you really want to compel manufacturers to lower their prices, then do so by keeping your wallet closed. If enough people feel the same way you do, manufacturers will get the message.

So no, there’s nothing to get alarmed about. If you can’t afford the latest and greatest in golf gear, then do what any rational person would do and save up for it.

Golf equipment is sold at Dicks Sporting goods, a kid starts going there when they are 6 years old. Nothing in that store is a luxury item.

A Lexus or BMW is a luxury item. A Rolex, Gucci bag...

Golf equipment is sold at Dicks Sporting goods, a kid starts going there when they are 6 years old. Nothing in that store is a luxury item.

A Lexus or BMW is a luxury item. A Rolex, Gucci bag...

No, a Lexus or BMW is a luxury car. A Rolex is a luxury watch. A Gucci bag is a luxury purse. None of these are must-haves in their respective categories. Need a car to get to and from work and you're on a budget? Buy a used Hyundai. Need a watch to tell time but only have $50? Buy a Timex or a Casio. Need a purse to carry stuff around? Well, you get the idea.

The definition of a luxury item is a product that is not necessary for living, but it is deemed as highly desired within a culture or society. In other words, a 'want' vs. a 'need'. A perfect example is the latest golf equipment. Nobody NEEDS a brand new M6 or F9 or Epic Flash driver in order to play golf, unless you're a tour player. Are they nice to have? Sure. But these newest 2019 clubs are luxury items in the golf world and will be supplanted over time by even newer models. Until then, there are plenty of used and new-old-stock older models available that fit anyone's budget.

Quit bellyaching over pricing just because manufacturers don't consider you their target market and aren't catering to your budget and buying habits. There are plenty of alternatives available to you, you just don't like them.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

Quit assuming one cannot afford whatever they want. I play miura tourney blades, however I do stand up for the little man against greed rampant in our world. And I always will. You can stand up for the rich (if you like) whom unless you make 500k a year , you are not even scratching their surface.

LOL, seriously? Am I supposed to be impressed that you play 'miura tourney blades'?

Stop deluding yourself, I'm not standing up for anyone and neither are you. The power to change these companies' pricing structures rests entirely with you. If you feel a product is overpriced, then don't buy it. Simple. Others who feel the same way should follow suit. If enough people do that, manufacturers WILL take notice and adjust prices accordingly. Simple economics and the laws of supply and demand. So again, it appears that your righteous indignance stems from the fact that you're upset because a market does currently exist for $500+ drivers and $1500 iron sets. The mistake you're making is assuming that there are no alternatives for those who can't afford a $500 driver or isn't willing to pay that amount for a club.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

Quit assuming one cannot afford whatever they want. I play miura tourney blades, however I do stand up for the little man against greed rampant in our world. And I always will. You can stand up for the rich (if you like) whom unless you make 500k a year , you are not even scratching their surface.

You need to search this forum for a thread that had some screen grabs from a late 1990's Edwin Watts catalog. It was pretty cool. A bunch of us took iron set prices, drivers, and putters from the big manufacturers at the time: (Callaway, Cobra, Titleist, Founders Club, etc) and ran the prices through an inflation calculator. It was pretty clear to see that adjusted for inflation, golf club prices are the same now as they were 20 years ago.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I'm with the OP. I have way more equipment than a person needs - for 10 lifetimes really - but I still think the jump pricing in 2 single back to back seasons is crazy

Single irons $275 .... WOW

Picked up a "set" of clubs thru Cally pre-owned ... CF16 6 and 7 and CF16 combo pro 8 and 9 for dirt cheap

I get what Poutine Boy is saying, that relatively the equipment pricing is well in line over the last 30 years, but still

I don't even like poutine!!!

I am not poutine that in my mouth...

50 years ago

a NYC Municipal round of golf (walking), early morning on the weekend cost ~$15 (walking)

Today that same round costs $51.

A comparable course in South Florida charges $59 early weekend morning and that is WITH a golf cart.

A set of 8 forged irons cost $200 back then. Today the same set costs about $1200

A high performance sports car back then cost $4,000. That same car today costs ~$50,000.

A house a family member bought back then cost him $25,000. Today he can get $500,000 for it.

Premium gas was $.25/gal, today it's ~$3.00

Slice of pizza ? $.15. Today, about $2.00

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

LOL, seriously? Am I supposed to be impressed that you play 'miura tourney blades'?

Stop deluding yourself, I'm not standing up for anyone and neither are you. The power to change these companies' pricing structures rests entirely with you. If you feel a product is overpriced, then don't buy it. Simple. Others who feel the same way should follow suit. If enough people do that, manufacturers WILL take notice and adjust prices accordingly. Simple economics and the laws of supply and demand. So again, it appears that your righteous indignance stems from the fact that you're upset because a market does currently exist for $500+ drivers and $1500 iron sets. The mistake you're making is assuming that there are no alternatives for those who can't afford a $500 driver or isn't willing to pay that amount for a club.

The OP lives in England. He states his prices in pounds . That is 1.3 times as much as our dollar. That is way too high.

And everything is going up at insane rates in America too. Greed is the only reason, you can use business terms to describe it if you like. But the stock market will crash soon enough with just your words holding it up. As it did in 2007-2008 with “AAA rating†stamped on Credit default Swaps.

Companies should only increase prices at the same rate people receive in pay raises. This is not what is happening. (For example: Our power bills here in NC went up 25% last year for no real reason!).

The OP lives in England. He states his prices in pounds . That is 1.3 times as much as our dollar. That is way too high.

Yes, I'm fully aware the OP lives in the UK. Yet, some people in the UK still pay those prices. For the others who can't or won't pay such prices, the world hasn't ended for them. Why is that?

And everything is going up at insane rates in America too. Greed is the only reason, you can use business terms to describe it if you like. But the stock market will crash soon enough with just your words holding it up. As it did in 2007-2008 with “AAA rating†stamped on Credit default Swaps.

What does the stock market have to do with any of this? Look, I get that it's easy to go to Google and search for neat buzzphrases that make you look like you know what you're talking about, but in this case you didn't even do that correctly.

Companies should only increase prices at the same rate people receive in pay raises. This is not what is happening. (For example: Our power bills here in NC went up 25% last year for no real reason!).

Not going to happen. Companies will charge what the market will bear, especially with something like golf equipment that isn't considered a necessity of life. That is how a free market works. If you don't like it, then move to a country like Venezuela where prices of everything are strictly controlled by the government.

Your analogies are ridiculous and it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

The golf industry is based on a vertical pricing system to protect the smaller retailers and pad the producers of the product. It is not designed to help the retailers profit margins, nor is there any recourse for a consumer excepting not buying the equipment.

The golf industry will always have its Mavens as defined by Gladwell. The Maven covers the fixed costs of the R&D, the followers make the profit. They price for Mavens, and require the followers to buy at that rate as well.

Mfr creates the price, in all other retail industries the retailer creates the price.

Yes, I'm fully aware the OP lives in the UK. Yet, some people in the UK still pay those prices. For the others who can't or won't pay such prices, the world hasn't ended for them. Why is that?

What does the stock market have to do with any of this? Look, I get that it's easy to go to Google and search for neat buzzphrases that make you look like you know what you're talking about, but in this case you didn't even do that correctly.

Not going to happen. Companies will charge what the market will bear, especially with something like golf equipment that isn't considered a necessity of life. That is how a free market works. If you don't like it, then move to a country like Venezuela where prices of everything are strictly controlled by the government.

Your analogies are ridiculous and it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

I dunno man, you are the one not making sense . Credit default swaps and Triple A ratings are what caused the last recession. No google searches were done.

Venezuela , like Russia and China are authoritarian dictatorships masked as some sort of democracy . They rob their citizens and enrich themselves. You even suggesting someone “go live there” because they are complaining about greed in America is just a poor example .

I cannot educate you, only you can be educated if you would just open your mind to education. You have some hard opinions. I wish you the best.

Have a good golfing year.

The golf industry is based on a vertical pricing system to protect the smaller retailers and pad the producers of the product. It is not designed to help the retailers profit margins, nor is there any recourse for a consumer excepting not buying the equipment.

The golf industry will always have its Mavens as defined by Gladwell. The Maven covers the fixed costs of the R&D, the followers make the profit. They price for Mavens, and require the followers to buy at that rate as well.

Mfr creates the price, in all other retail industries the retailer creates the price.

And this is why there are MAPs all over the place in golf equipment retailing.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

I dunno man, you are the one not making sense . Credit default swaps and Triple A ratings are what caused the last recession. No google searches were done.

Venezuela , like Russia and China are authoritarian dictatorships masked as some sort of democracy . They rob their citizens and enrich themselves. You even suggesting someone “go live there” because they are complaining about greed in America is just a poor example .

I cannot educate you, only you can be educated if you would just open your mind to education. You have some hard opinions. I wish you the best.

Have a good golfing year.

Yeah OK. I'll let your posts speak for themselves. Good thing you're bowing out before you dig that hole too deep, I guess.

BTW, way to gloss over the fact that equipment prices have remained static when adjusted for inflation.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

Yeah OK. I'll let your posts speak for themselves. Good thing you're bowing out before you dig that hole too deep, I guess.

BTW, way to gloss over the fact that equipment prices have remained static when adjusted for inflation.

You seem bright enough to accept the fact that you are cherry picking data. Economic systems as big as the United States and Europe can’t be dumbed down to a single indicator like inflation.

You’ve glossed over a bunch, including inflation outpacing wage growth and cost of living increases leaving less discretionary income and CPI.

But you’re right, the manufacturers will continue to MAP what they can get. But to pretend it’s as simple as supply, demand and inflation is a bit disingenuous.

TLDR most... As has been stated, I’m sure, there are deals EVREYWHERE, if one is willing to buy previous generation of new old stock. Not to mention, used options. I can’t remember the exact number but my whole set was purchased new for less than $700, possibly $600. Now, you may not like my choice of Wilson Staff or Cobra but they are “tour level” clubs. It simply isn’t necessary to buy a company’s premium offerings, immediately when they’re released.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

And this is why there are MAPs all over the place in golf equipment retailing.

It is my experience this happens in small niche retailers. The sale price is only permitted after the manufacturer says they are modifying the offering. At the end of a product cycle, the retailers are permitted to blow out the remaining inventory. If they do so beforehand, they can lose their license to sell the product.

Many fishing companies do this, many outdoor companies do this as well. When you see Patagonia at Costco the local retailers are livid because the company is doing what they are not allowed to do.

Lastly, it does make sense in a way. Say Walmart can buy 10,000 M5s and they pay $10 per club, and the driving range down the street can only afford to buy 6, so they pay $50/ club. So keystone em for easy math, Walmart sells em for $20 and the range has to sell them for $100. Well, the more likely place to buy a club is at the specialty retailer because you can test the club out and buy what you want. So the purchase is a pleasant experience, not like going into Walmart and purchasing a tube of toothpaste, and all niche hobbies are about the experience. The price includes the value of the experience. To protect the smaller retailers who cater to the consumer, they set the price and make sure everyone is on the same playing field.

I keystoned the example, but I believe clubs are really at about a 35% mark up for the smaller shops.