2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does interest in golf ever fade away?

g8tor20

Breathing life into an old thread here. I play for fun and usually only a serious betting round once every two months, just depends on the available players. If that stays the norm, will never stop playing. Going the DINK route so golf will be my hobby for as long as I can play it. Want to join a club eventually, just need to find the right one after I buy a home.

I've been playing for about 24 years now. Ya know how I can tell my interest hasn't faded yet? Because I live in NY, and we're forced to take a few months off every year for the weather. And during those months off I go nuts wishing I could get out and play golf.

In some ways the forced break is a good thing. I imagine it keeps me from burning out.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Yes. For me the bar was always to work hard and compete, give myself a chance to roll a few good rounds into a shot at making some real money as a pro for a brief period of time. But as I get older, the odds get longer. I play golf for competition and at a certain point it get's harder and harder to compete. Now with work, family, bills... Less and less friends who are as serious about the game... Having to pay adult prices for golf equipment and lessons... Trying to get time on trackman or flightscope... It's almost impossible. So I ask myself what's the point?

Also the structure of Pro Vs. Am status in golf makes it very difficult for a really good am to work hard, have a great few weeks that rolls into a good year and potential tour status. I would be much more inclined to stay with golf in the future if there were no lines between pro and am status and am's were allowed to win substantial money. Like poker, or bowling.

Professional golf, at the real money level anyway is very protected. I would like to see the Am status rules change and more and different formats of competition, Long Drive, World Series of Putting etc.

You're telling me if an Am goes in, pays the fee, and wins the World series of putting, which is just 1 facet of the ame of golf, he's not allowed to win th eprize money? Or if an Am qualifies for a PGA event, they can't win a dime, they're not even given the option to take the cash and turn pro...

There are some really good golfers that essentially just walk away because there's not a lot there for them, I'm just about at that point right now. Handicapped events are punitive to low caps, scratch events don't pay anything... And you have no chance of being able to qualify for an event that can make you money because of pro/am rules. Competetive am golf does nothing but take from the competitors. And I'm not interested in playing that game anymore.

Wow, very interesting take. I feel very much the opposite way that you do about amateur golf. Competitive amateur golf gives far more to me than I could ever give back.

But I do understand the way you feel, for sure.

For me I don't really play to be social, I'm actually not a very social person. As far as those who view golf as a game of integrity, and tradition.. eh, I don't really see that either. When I was younger, in college, I had so much time to dedicate to the game, and it took that to keep sharp, and keep improving. Now I just feel like dedicating that much time to something that provides me no chance of a financial gain is silly.

I have no kids, my wife doesn't play, and for someone who's pure enjoyment comes from improvement, preparation, and competition... To fail again and again because of lack of prep time, or even to win and succeed in achieving a goal with nothing to really show for it... It's a bit of a put off to me.

Here's another example of the opposite.. I use to play poker, I guess you could say professionally, I never say that though as I pretty much always had another source of income save for a year or so. I have made thousands from cash games and won several substantial live and online tournaments. I stopped playing mostly due to the grind of it, sitting at a table with a bunch of a holes for hours at a time wears on you, especially when you're mindset is to take everything the guy across from you has, and do so while feeding him a line of bs about how unlucky he got. I replaced that with golf again, as I previously quit for quite a while due to a wrist injury in competition.

For me as long as I can replace competitive "whatever" with something I'm good at I'm fine.

I remember Nicklaus saying something to this effect, that his love for golf was more a love of competition, and he was just better at golf than his other pursuits, but his real joy came from beating the other guy and teh game was sort of irrelevant. That's how I feel I guess.

Sometimes I wonder what else I could have accomplished if I didn't spend all those hours, all those years hitting a ball with a stick. I'm pretty sure I could have invented the snuggy 1st, or something.

Here's another example of the opposite.. I use to play poker, I guess you could say professionally, I never say that though as I pretty much always had another source of income save for a year or so. I have made thousands from cash games and won several substantial live and online tournaments. I stopped playing mostly due to the grind of it, sitting at a table with a bunch of a holes for hours at a time wears on you, especially when you're mindset is to take everything the guy across from you has, and do so while feeding him a line of bs about how unlucky he got. I replaced that with golf again, as I previously quit for quite a while due to a wrist injury in competition.

That's a good analogy. I play some poker too (albeit not even close to "professionally"). I like to play mostly for fun, and I do alright. But I know that if I wanted to get better at it, I'd have to apply myself and learn the mathematics behind it, and how to read other players better than I do, etc. But like golf, that's just more effort than I want to put forth.

I want to play well at both golf and poker, but not badly enough that it becomes a grind and isn't fun anymore. When it becomes a "job", it's not as fun.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I have to say I don't think it does.

I've played on and off since I was 14 so for 15 years now, more than half my life.

I have had spells of 2 years were i haven't played and then inexplicably got the bug and played solid for 2-3 years.

This time I'm determined not to let it slip, been back at it for 9 months after a 2 year break and playing better than ever. The breaks do seem to rejuvenate me at times as previously I couldn't break mid 70's. I think it helps me break down barriers I restrict myself with mentally.

I think for older golfers who were once really good, its really tough for them to not be able to play as they once did due to strength and flexibility deterioration.

Its as if at some point their game stops progressing and begins regressing. Kinda takes some of the fun out of it for them.

I'm not all that old (only 38), but having had 2 back surgeries and completely losing my game, I agree with this.

I lost probably 40ish yards off my driver and 2-3 clubs distance off of all of my irons. My GIR has gone from 60ish% to 30ish%. The only saving grace for my game is I can still chip and putt, which keeps me in high single digit index. These days, I have no clue where the ball is going when I hit it, I can only hope to hit it, find it, and hit it again. I used to be a low single digit handicap (lowest was around 2), played multiple rounds per week, practiced a few times per week, and played competitive on a local am tour for a few years. These days, I'm not physically capable of playing that much golf (far too painful), nor do I have the desire to put in that much time practicing anymore. Even though I know full well I dont put in nearly as much effort/time as I used to, I still get incredibly frustrated on the course knowing what I used to be able to do vs what I am now capable of doing.

As a background, I've been playing since I was 8 and i'm now 36. Anyways, I really started playing a lot of rounds about 2 years ago. Before that it was mostly 10 to 15 rounds a year with buddies.

I recently got paired with a very nice older gentleman. He told me he used to be a PGA teaching pro and was better than scratch but doesn't get the enjoyment from the game as he used to. Said its been tough going from having every shot in the bag to not being able to do what he used to.

So that got me thinking. I'm having a blast playing about 30-40 rounds a year now. I've gone from about a 13 cap to an 8 in the last few years. I hope this "chase for great golf" never ends as I get older. Does it?

it all depends on your drive and your mentality.

You will find the lower you get the less mistakes you can afford to make. This for some can become a hard pill to swallow especially if they have some underlying faults and they've hit a plateau.

You will probably come across this yourself as you get lower. having the safety net of shots with handicap decreases.

also the lower you get the harder you need to work to shave off those few extra strokes. So for some it becomes a battle for others it becomes obsession with seeing how low you can go. I fall firmly into the latter camp. For me its the challenge, I've played sports all my life and have always played with the attitude of never give in. I think this is what keeps me going... if Im 65 and health is good ill still be trying to shoot low.

I have had friends play to a low handicap they were never the longest hitters but always straight and in play. But because they craved more distance they were always putting themselves under pressure. Some of them have since gave the game up and they were only in their mid 30's at the time.

I work in the golf industry and I have found that my excitement to just go play golf has faded over the years (I am currently 40yo). Now I only get excited to play if I am with a group that I enjoy their company or if there is some type of gambling or bet on the line when playing.

As the club pro, just getting out to play with the members is part of my job, and I am so lucky to have playing golf as one of my job descriptions, but sometimes I just find it hard to get excited to just go beat the ball around the course.

I remember I used to be able to wake up at anytime in the morning and I would be shaking tying my shoes to get out the door and get to the course. But it is different now with family, young kids, a wife who's career is busier than mine. I hope that as I get older and my game deteriorates, that I still have a passion for playing the game and competing.

At 66, I've been playing over 50 years. My interest did wain some as life became more hectic (family events, daughter's sports, travel for work, etc.) Now that I'm retired I find the interest has started to return. My goal is to get my HCP back to <10 which is where I was before life happened - currently at 13. As stated by others, I think you need to have a defined goal to help keep the interest bubbling to the top.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

My full passion sometimes comes and goes. Sometimes I am really into it, and sometimes just so so. I am fortunate to live in an area of the country where I can play year round. I will say, most, if not all of my golf is social, small betting with my best friends. Even when my passion for the game is not quite so hot, I still play with my buddies from a social aspect. The golf then becomes something to do, while we have fun and maybe a few beers. All in all, it is a game for life and I am addicted in some fashion.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

I used to work in golf and would play everyday. Once I got married and started a family, my ability to play dropped significantly. My time and energy are focused on my kids, so I cannot obsess over my golfing ability. That is the biggest paradigm shift I have gone through. Now that I play a couple times a month if lucky, I have to reduce my expectations. That is the biggest blow to my identity as a golfer. I still play with some friends who play all the time and they see that I am not playing as well as I used to, but are quick to point out that that is what happens when life takes over. Now, I focus on enjoying the process and rarely keep score. My best friend is a former minitour player and was the first to clue me in. He doesnt practice and play anywhere near as much as he would like to but still plays around scratch. He gets upset when he sees all the shots that he leaves out there. I am nowhere near as good, but now that I play much less frequently I understand the frustration. Winter also kicks in and I dwell on the inability to be outside enjoying the weather. I think the intensity of interest comes and goes. I am looking forward to retirement and being a starter or marshall at a course in another 40 years!

If anything can go right, it might!

The only time I waiver is during the extreme heat of the summer after multiple rounds overheating.Traditionally there’s always a small period where I loose my focus and take a little break.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I just turned 61 I have played since I was 11. I have had a few breaks of a couple of years from work and family. When kids finished with sports started playing again late 30’s. My lowest handicap was 3.2. I had left knee replaced 2 years ago. After I recovered had one of my best years ever handicap 4.5. Last year had other knee replaced . Little longer recovery getting better now. My distance in younger days was maybe not the longest but not the shortest. Last 5 years that has changed, A good drive is 250 total. I have accepted it and have started carrying more hybrids. Working with a 6 iron hybrid replacement now. As you age golf game will change accept it and make changes to equipment and course management. Work on short game more 100 yards in. Hope this helps some of you. One of the most important things play the correct tees.

There's two kinds of fade away.

• Deep fade, when a person has one-too-many frustrating rounds and simply walks away.
  • Light fade, when a person realizes golf just won't fit in due to other-life surges. So, walk away for awhile and don't be frustrated.

I'm 68 now. Since I turned 40, I have had a couple of 2-year stretches when golf just wouldn't fit in very well.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

There's two kinds of fade away.

• Deep fade, when a person has one-too-many frustrating rounds and simply walks away.
  • Light fade, when a person realizes golf just won't fit in due to other-life surges. So, walk away for awhile and don't be frustrated.

I'm 68 now. Since I turned 40, I have had a couple of 2-year stretches when golf just wouldn't fit in very well.

Good summary. I did the deep fade once when I was in my early 20's. My problem was I wasn't keeping my expectations in line with reality. I didn't practice but got upset when I didn't play well. I'll just call that youthful ignorance. I took up the game again in my mid 30's when my oldest son wanted to start playing in the early 2000's (the Tiger influence). I took lessons, began practicing, got better...amazing. As for light fades, I usually end up doing a couple of those a year (translation: a couple/few weeks off) which is driven by multiple factors like a heavy biz travel schedule or vacation time. I generally find those energizing for my game.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I am 74, learned the game as a caddie back in my teens. Still interested in golf, as evidenced by following this forum. Once was a very good player, and it was difficult facing up to the ravages of time. Many of my friends quit rather than play to a lesser standard. Me? I just want to see how good I can be at 74. And I really enjoy hanging out with other golfers.

Started playing about 30 years ago as a teenager. Played lots but had a 10 year spell where time, money and family I didn’t play at all (didn’t even own clubs). Didn’t miss it at all as I had a lot of other hobbies, but then took it up again once my dad took it up as a retirement sport to keep him company, and then got well and truly hooked. However, living in Norway, my season is really short so there is no danger of burn out, but I play now for a mental break from my day to day life. 4-5 hours on a golf course and not a care in the world. Found that my game is the better for it as I don’t obsess about it as I used to. So, for the time being, I don’t see this interest fading away.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

Shooooot….growing up in FL...I met too many old guys that took me to school and humbled me because they had time to practice and they could score well no matter how far I outdrove them, etc. Now as an aging guy, when I decided I wanted to play again, the game forced me to change my approach in the gym, enhance my diet and really stretch daily. Golf is a great motivator and I know I'll never be on tour, etc...its a fun journey. I get it though...if a player had a scratch A game and had to ride the backside of their apex down a long hill of compromise and decline it could get mentally numbing.

I think we should look at the greats and their approach to the game as they have reached the aging process windows of being a senior. End of the day....it's a game and for fun for most...never forget it.

I’m obsessed with golf and can’t imagine my interest fading away. I spend way too much time and money on golf.

That said, I played like crap a few weeks ago when I thought I had been hitting the ball well. I had the first serious thoughts about quitting that I’ve had in a loooooong time.

Fortunately, I had two weeks worth of work travel and the disappointment of that round started to fade. I played 9 holes this weekend and played really well, so now I’m all-in again.

Golf is a funny game...

I can see how it might for people who are very competitive or take pride in the athletic abilities. But for me golf is about fresh air, exercise, a bit of a challenge and the people I meet. I don't see myself getting tired of any of those. At the moment my challenge is to keep my scores under 90. In ten years time the challenge might be to keep them under 100. The score doesn't matter to me as long as it's roughly where I expect to it to be. The only reason I got a handicap was to play in comps and I only play in comps because it's a good introduction to my club membership so that when I retire I will be amongst friends.

I don't think I'll pine away for my 'glory days'. I'll just continue to enjoy half a day spent playing golf.