2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping tour 65 vs alta 55 shaft

KGilma

I was given a tour 65 S shaft from a g400 max by a friend to try out. Been playing the standard alta 55 S in my ping G 9* driver. I don't really have any reason to switch shafts as I feel like I hit it really well. I weighed both shaft combos with the head only 1 gram difference in the tour 65. However, it is 1/2 shorter. Will I notice anything different since it's shorter? Cold and raining this weekend do I can't go to the range.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was given a tour 65 S shaft from a g400 max by a friend to try out. Been playing the standard alta 55 S in my ping G 9* driver. I don't really have any reason to switch shafts as I feel like I hit it really well. I weighed both shaft combos with the head only 1 gram difference in the tour 65. However, it is 1/2 shorter. Will I notice anything different since it's shorter? Cold and raining this weekend do I can't go to the range.

Maybe less club head speed and more control. No way to tell, let us know what u think after hitting. Might be worth asking if it was tipped

I wouldn't switch if your already hitting the other one well, but sounds like u won't have to switch out the tip adaptor (or will u?), so give it a swing.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I had the standard shaft in a G30 and got fitted into the tour 65 stiff.

I find it to be a much more stable shaft. Of course a lot will depend on your swing, but I would think you’ll at least see tighter dispersion if it fits your swing.

What’s your swing speed?

🏌️‍♂️ | Callaway Epic Max LS | Cobra Speedzone 5 Wood | Titleist TSI3 3H | Cobra Forged Tec | Cobra MIM Black | EVNROLL ER2B | Titleist Pro V1x | 🏌️‍♂️

Maybe less club head speed and more control. No way to tell, let us know what u think after hitting. Might be worth asking if it was tipped

I wouldn't switch if your already hitting the other one well, but sounds like u won't have to switch out the tip adaptor (or will u?), so give it a swing.

It's not tipped the tour is 45.25 from the factory. Alta is 45.75. Its plug n play no new adapter needed, too.

Swing speed is 107-110.

Just an experiment for now, not necessarily switching just trying something new.

In my opinion the Tour is WAY more stiff, stout whatever you want to call it than the Alta. To me a stiff flex in the Alta feels like a regular or even soft regular compared to the Tour.

I have to really slow my swing down and and swing smooth with the Alta (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) but with the Tour I feel like I can really go after it without losing control and hitting huge hooks.

My driver swing speed is only around 100 - 105 but I have a pretty aggressive transition which is certainly a factor.

I have the Tour 65 in all my fairway woods as well and think that it's an excellent shaft.

The Alta is excellent as well for an awful lot of guys - I'm just not one of them.

Have fun!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

It's not tipped the tour is 45.25 from the factory. Alta is 45.75. Its plug n play no new adapter needed, too.

Swing speed is 107-110.

Just an experiment for now, not necessarily switching just trying something new.

With That swing speed, if I am Picking for you, I'm recommending the tour without seeing you here either. Only if your fairway shafts are heavier than 65 g though. I don't like my driver shaft being equal/heavier than my fairways.

The caveat is I would never dare switching something that I'm hitting well unless I hit something for sure better

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Alta went much higher (too high) than the Tour for me

^. This too.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

These are VERY different shafts, and IMO it's unlikely that the same player would get a good result from both. The Tour shafts are much lower launching than the Alta shafts, and generally suited for higher swing speeds than the Alta.

The only way to know for sure in your own case, of course, is to hit them. In MY case, when I was fitted for a G30, my results from the Tour 65 were just awful; low and right and went nowhere. The TFC (predecessor of the Alta, of course) gave me great results, and was the first time I got better results from the Ping stock shaft than from ANY after market premium shaft. Same thing at my fitting a year ago for a G400.

I think there is a misconception that the Tour 65's are an upgrade of some sort to the Alta, and they're not, if only because the Alta is a really good shaft. They are just completely different animals from each other.

With a swing speed of 107-110 mph the Ping Tour is likely to be a better fit for you than the Alta. It should launch lower and spin less and you should gain some yards and consistency.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

A bit OT and don't mean to threadjack, but is there a major difference between the TFC 419 shaft from the g30 and the alta CB shaft from the G400? I have both a g30 and g400 Max, but my tfc 419 shaft plays at 45.25 and I would prefer to play that length in the Max (and don't want to cut down the alta CB).

Just from my experience with the G30 and the G400, I would say no. The G30 and G400 heads are VERY different IMO, but not the TFC 419 vs the Alta.

Another factor.....The Alta’s are counterbalanced. The Tour shaft is too but not as much.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

Alta is a good shaft, the Tour 65 is also very good... I find it to be more stable and more of a low/mid launch. My dispersion with the Alta was worse and a much higher flight. Spin was also a couple hundred RPM higher.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I finally got a chance to hit a few balls with the tour shaft at TopGolf Saturday. Really not much difference, except for a very slight draw showed up. I didn't have my wrench with me, but I think I need to adjust the loft. The ball flight is much, much lower than the Alta 55, and is costing me a lot of distance I feel. If I wasn't hitting from the 2nd deck I don't think the height would have been much higher than 25-30'. If adjusting the loft doesn't fix it, I will just switch back.

Recently got a 400 Max at 9* with Alta S which I had demo'ed in a 10.5*. Thought the 9 would bring the flight from near orbital to something lower. Still way high so bought a Tour 65S and reduced flight by 25% easily. The Alta hits with a small rollout, the tour hits and really rolls out about 10-15 yards both about the same carry with no wind. Our estimates are about 10 yards+ with Tour.

While replacing grips this past week we measured the SW and CPM of the two shafts. Both as delivered 45.25 and 45.75. The sw was D3.6 for the tour and D3.4 for the Alta with 53g TS1's. The alta cpm was 254 and the Tour 260.5. Frankly both feel incredibly smooth. Playing the 9 at big + with the tour is great for my old swing and most conditions. I would not venture out on a windy with the Alta unless all holes were down wind

I finally got a chance to hit a few balls with the tour shaft at TopGolf Saturday. Really not much difference, except for a very slight draw showed up. I didn't have my wrench with me, but I think I need to adjust the loft. The ball flight is much, much lower than the Alta 55, and is costing me a lot of distance I feel. If I wasn't hitting from the 2nd deck I don't think the height would have been much higher than 25-30'. If adjusting the loft doesn't fix it, I will just switch back.

I'm going to pretty much guarantee you that changing the hosel settings is NOT going to change what you are seeing as the difference between these two shafts. Putting a Tour 65 into a 9* head is almost a guarantee of low bullets, no matter what hosel setting you use.

I'm going to pretty much guarantee you that changing the hosel settings is NOT going to change what you are seeing as the difference between these two shafts. Putting a Tour 65 into a 9* head is almost a guarantee of low bullets, no matter what hosel setting you use.

You're probably correct, but I still want to do a little more experimenting. Go to a real driving range, play a round with a real golf ball, not a top golf ball then I'll decide what I like better. The low bullet is what I want, compared to really high flight of the alta but I think I am going to lose a lot of distance. Oh well, the experiment continues...

You're probably correct, but I still want to do a little more experimenting. Go to a real driving range, play a round with a real golf ball, not a top golf ball then I'll decide what I like better. The low bullet is what I want, compared to really high flight of the alta but I think I am going to lose a lot of distance. Oh well, the experiment continues...

If there was ever a voice crying out for a 30 minute session on Trackman, you are it, my friend.

If there was ever a voice crying out for a 30 minute session on Trackman, you are it, my friend.

100%

100%

Google and see if there is somebody near you that rents time on a Trackman, especially outdoors. It sounds like you REALLY want the Tour 65 to work, and maybe it will, but it is VERY tough to know what's going on with drivers because of the distance involved and the inability to see where the ball lands and how far it rolls with just your eyes. And, of course, this time of year with cold, dense air and wet ground, it's really difficult. You can really get fooled by trajectory differences as to what is going farthest, and you can also get "tricked" into falling in love with distance at the expense of dispersion. And if you can't go outdoors, indoors will work; just pay REALLY close attention to dispersion numbers and AVERAGES, rather than the best result on a given ball.

I would think that on a decent launch monitor, you'd get pretty good answers to which shaft is better for you in a very short session.

• 2 weeks later...

Forecast changed last weekend, and I was able to get out and play 18 with the tour shaft, even though it was a little on the cool side. I think I am going to switch back to the alta 55, any advantage of the Tour shaft is minimal. Just for sh!ts and giggles, can anyone recommend a shaft upgrade that would play similar to the alta 55. I tried the hzrdus smoke on a cobra f9 at golf galaxy last night. It's the same weight as the alta 55. I liked the way it felt, but something a higher launch would suit me better.

Tour 65 all day

• 4 months later...

> @jmoakley said:

> Hey guys, i got a Ping G400 driver but the shaft is an x-stiff pro-only shaft. I really need a regular. I can hit the X straight but can tell I don't swing hard enough to get what you are supposed to get out of it. Any suggestions?

I've got the Tour 65 Stiff for sale on BST right now if you want it.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1777320/ping-glide-2-0-shafts-cobra-weights

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 106-110 mph. I have both and switch back and forth.

They go about the same distance for me but the Tour is easier to fade and goes lower. The Alta is easier to draw. So I typically use the Tour shaft unless I'm playing a course that requires a lot of draws. The Tour seems just a tad more consistent, maybe because it is a shorter shaft.

Also, I have a 10 degree club head. I set it in neutral with the Tour but in the lowest loft setting with the Alta. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...