Bad experience at club champion. Nashville

3wood3wood Members Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭
Horrible experience. Guy looks at my bag and says “why are you here? I doubt we can improve on these”. Bag: G400 lst 8.5,TS D3 jpx 919 irons. He asked where I got my gear and I said golfwrx and some retailers. He made a back handed comment about getting gear from here. I had feeling this wasn’t going to be good experience. I was pumped to try the new PXG and F9 with all the buzz and thought my review could help some guys out here who’ve been asking for comparisons. After hitting a few drivers I asked to hit the PXG, he immediately said NO it’s too low spin. The fitter was a condescending a******. I wanted to leave 10 mins into my full bag fitting. Kept telling me this was a fitting and I couldn’t just try stuff that I liked. Told him that I wanted to try the new gear that recently came out to see how it stacked up against mine. He seemed pissed when I told him this. I skipped hitting my wedges, 3 wood and utility iron so I could get out of there. Never felt so uncomfortable. Wasted a 3hr drive and $$$$. I’ll never go back. Fitter was Brett

I only got to hit the F9,M5 and epic flash and 3 irons apex pro, Miura mc 501 and new level. I only got to try 2 different shafts for all the drivers. He almost didn’t let me hit the Miura’s after I said those are sweet I’ve been wanting to try those. Before I hit the miuras he said I couldn’t just pick what I thought looked cool to hit. He said those are similar to my 919’s and I won’t see any improvement in performance but probably a decline. Well he was wrong. Miuras 6 iron went 10 yds further than my 919’s lol. 188 vs 178. He ended up trying to sell me a set of mc 501’s. He also told me my kuro kage xd 60tx was a $600 shaft lol.

I hate to be one of the people on here complaining but I needed to vent and hopefully y’all have a better experience.

Comments

• Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should have asked for the store manager and a different fitter?

You're the customer. Don't pay for something that is not satisfying.
  • JojodimaggioJojodimaggio Members Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The PXG is low spin. That’s why you asked for it but with the right shaft , weight settings you can achieve what you want. I’m not a fan of club champion. Call pxg and get fitted through them I just did and we tested so many shafts with weight adjustment. Super great experience.
    TM M5 9 degree with Diamana DF 70TX
    TM M3 15 degree Diamana DF 90TX
    Cleveland 18 degree Mashie Miyazaki 105g

Tour Issue TM 750 4-PW Modus 130x
    TBD 50,54,60 KBS tour
    Mannkrafted MA/66
    Titleist prov1
  • 3wood3wood Members Posts: 486 ✭✭✭✭
    Matt J wrote:
    Perhaps you should have asked for the store manager and a different fitter?

You're the customer. Don't pay for something that is not satisfying.

They only had two workers in the store and the other guy was fitting another guy. You’re right, I’ve contacted corporate. I paid before hand
    The PXG is low spin. That’s why you asked for it but with the right shaft , weight settings you can achieve what you want. I’m not a fan of club champion. Call pxg and get fitted through them I just did and we tested so many shafts with weight adjustment. Super great experience.

Will do. I was just taken aback by the whole experience.
  • nikeblades00nikeblades00 Members Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    That's terrible. I hate the know it all condescending A-holes that seems to be so common with in club fitters. Sure there are alot of good ones but tons of jerks as well. You need to complain and get your money back.
  • benthegolferbenthegolfer Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    3wood wrote:

Horrible experience. Guy looks at my bag and says “why are you here? I doubt we can improve on these”. Bag: G400 lst 8.5,TS D3 jpx 919 irons. He asked where I got my gear and I said golfwrx and some retailers. He made a back handed comment about getting gear from here. I had feeling this wasn’t going to be good experience. I was pumped to try the new PXG and F9 with all the buzz and thought my review could help some guys out here who’ve been asking for comparisons. After hitting a few drivers I asked to hit the PXG, he immediately said NO it’s too low spin. The fitter was a condescending a******. I wanted to leave 10 mins into my full bag fitting. Kept telling me this was a fitting and I couldn’t just try stuff that I liked. Told him that I wanted to try the new gear that recently came out to see how it stacked up against mine. He seemed pissed when I told him this. I skipped hitting my wedges, 3 wood and utility iron so I could get out of there. Never felt so uncomfortable. Wasted a 3hr drive and $$$$. I’ll never go back. Fitter was Brett

I only got to hit the F9,M5 and epic flash and 3 irons apex pro, Miura mc 501 and new level. I only got to try 2 different shafts for all the drivers. He almost didn’t let me hit the Miura’s after I said those are sweet I’ve been wanting to try those. Before I hit the miuras he said I couldn’t just pick what I thought looked cool to hit. He said those are similar to my 919’s and I won’t see any improvement in performance but probably a decline. Well he was wrong. Miuras 6 iron went 10 yds further than my 919’s lol. 188 vs 178. He ended up trying to sell me a set of mc 501’s. He also told me my kuro kage xd 60tx was a $600 shaft lol.

I hate to be one of the people on here complaining but I needed to vent and hopefully y’all have a better experience.

I had a very similar experience with the same fitter at this location. Walked in, he eyed my sticks, and then basically acted like I didn't need to be there. Wanted to do the same as you -- see how some new things / exotic offerings stacked up against what I was gaming. I ended up leaving in an hour. The putter fitting was helpful so I chalked up the $180 spent (went during the half off full bag special) to a better idea of what flat stick I should be gaming. He wasn't particularly happy when I didn't buy anything, even though nothing he put together for me was better. I am relatively consistent and I wasn't expecting a landslide by any means, but I would have been willing to purchase had something been a much better fit. It is what it is, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Taylormade M3 460 Tour Issue 9.5 Project X HZDRUS T1100 65 6.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 Stiff
    Ping G400 17 Fujikura Speeder Evolution 869X
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW KBS Tour C-TAPER 125 S+
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F KBS Tour C-TAPER 125 S+
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56.10S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60.10S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Odyssey RSX Milled #7
    ProV1x

• eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Members Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve never been down there (Club Champion)....but I HIGHLY recommend Errol at Profectus Golf at Gaylord Springs. I did a fitting back in the fall and he was EXCELLENT to work with. We talked about my bag, where I buy clubs etc and how I’m a tinkerer with clubs. Also told him the things I “think” I know about golf which helped move things along so we didn’t waste time on things. Basically whatever I wanted to hit I could have.
    Cobra F9 (9.5)...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65s
    Cobra F6 Baffler (16)…......…...…Project X HZRDUS Red 75s
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........…..Aldila Tour Blue 85s
    PXG 0211 (5 - G)……...............….True Temper Elevate Tour X
    Cobra King Black (54/10)......…Nippon Modus 115
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)......KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht
    Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    3wood wrote:

I had a very similar experience with the same fitter at this location. Walked in, he eyed my sticks, and then basically acted like I didn't need to be there. Wanted to do the same as you -- see how some new things / exotic offerings stacked up against what I was gaming. I ended up leaving in an hour. The putter fitting was helpful so I chalked up the $180 spent (went during the half off full bag special) to a better idea of what flat stick I should be gaming. He wasn't particularly happy when I didn't buy anything, even though nothing he put together for me was better. I am relatively consistent and I wasn't expecting a landslide by any means, but I would have been willing to purchase had something been a much better fit. It is what it is, but I wouldn't recommend it.

He’s definitely in the wrong business. I would’ve bought the irons if it would’ve been a better experience. I felt so unwelcome. Guess I’m back to buying and trying off the bst
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 7:59pm #10
    Eric wasn’t your fitter was it?

Edit: just see his name was Brett

I know Eric there and he is great. Been doing this forever for a young guy. He fitted me for clubs 15 years ago. I think he is the manger but could be wrong. I don’t know Brett. You should ask to work with Eric. I’ve never been inside CC but i know Eric is legit and a great guy.
    Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 8:07pm #11
    So you paid for a Full Bag Club Fitting and the guy felt you had clubs that are as good as anything they sell ? That may be the case but he could have fitted you into heads and shafts that better fit your swing. I'm guessing that's what you were trying to accomplish.
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
    Minarets wrote:
    Eric wasn’t your fitter was it?

Edit: just see his name was Brett

I know Eric there and he is great. Been doing this forever for a young guy. He fitted me for clubs 15 years ago. I think he is the manger but could be wrong. I don’t know Brett. You should ask to work with Eric. I’ve never been inside CC but i know Eric is legit and a great guy.

I saw Eric working with another guy and he was hitting everything I wanted to try lol.
    Tzoid wrote:
    So you paid for a Full Bag Club Fitting and the guy felt you had clubs that are as good as anything they sell ? That may be the case but he could have fitted you into heads and shafts that better fit your swing. I'm guessing that's what you were trying to accomplish.

Exactly. I was hoping to make some tweaks such as shafts, loft. Just looking for better consistency
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    3wood wrote:

You are basically a formula 1 driver going into a pep boys. Your best bet is to stick with going to Ferrari for your upgrades my friend.
    BB28403 wrote:
    3wood wrote:

You are basically a formula 1 driver going into a pep boys. Your best bet is to stick with going to Ferrari for your upgrades my friend.

I thought they were one of the best. Do you have any recommendations?
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 10:06pm #16
    Sucks it turnee out like that. For me the shaft fitting was the most important part.

They had me swing my gamer, tried some of the shafts they recommended, I tried some of shafts I thought I'd like. Then tried a bunch of heads. I ended up with the same iron head, much different shaft. Completely different driver shaft/head.

But putter firing was also worth the $$ alone 😂
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 2, 2019 10:11pm #17
    3wood wrote:
    BB28403 wrote:
    3wood wrote:

My instincts say:

-someone on WRX or who reads WRX and gets what we are all about here.

-Someone who you can tell, knows more than you about the products you are interested in.

-Who responds via email, Twitter, instagram, text ...etc to your questions beforehand .

I use Chip Usher in Savannah, GA. He is a superb Miura dealer. He had a semi pro career I think. He knows A lot about clubs. Good guy

He is very good at mailing you clubs too.

I buy all my Miura irons and wedges from him.

But overall, ask around and get recommendations , I feel Like a really talented fitter would open up his own shop rather than work for a Club Champion being worked to death.
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Screw that noise. Glad you contacted corporate and hopefully they will rectify this situation pronto. I’d have had no problem telling him that if he didn’t feel like he could improve what I have, maybe someone with some actual knowledge and experience would be better suited. It’s not like you’re Dustin Johnson walking in there asking to be specked out or something

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• tomuch23tomuch23 WIMembers Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3wood wrote:

BB28403 wrote:
    3wood wrote:

Golf galaxy!
    Srixon Z785 9.5° HC PX HAZ RED 65
    Srixon F85 15° HC PX HAZ YELLOW 75
    Srixon H85 19°/22° PX HAZ BLACK 85
    Srixon Z585 5i-Aw KBS TOUR 90
    Cleveland Cbx 54°/58° DYN GOLD 115
    Cleveland HB Soft #8.5
    Srixon Z Star/Q Star Tour, TM TP5 
    Ogio Silencer
  • johngalt312johngalt312 Member ClubWRX Posts: 414 ClubWRX
    I am sure Club Champion corporate will [try to] make it right. I have only dealt with Club Champion Chicago and Club Champion Oak Brook (HQ) and they have been/are phenomenal. Great people, great service, great builds. No, they are not inexpensive, but they - in my experience - do an excellent job, regardless of what you purchase from them. Sorry to hear about your negative experience - hope that in the end it works out favorably. And no, I have zero skin in Club Champion.
    G400 Max Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-P
    Glide 2.0 Wedges 52*, 58*
    PLD3 Putter
    Jani-King Towel
    Shipwreck wrote:
    Screw that noise. Glad you contacted corporate and hopefully they will rectify this situation pronto. I’d have had no problem telling him that if he didn’t feel like he could improve what I have, maybe someone with some actual knowledge and experience would be better suited. It’s not like you’re Dustin Johnson walking in there asking to be specked out or something

I wanted to tell him to go kick rocks but after driving so far I just dealt with it. Looking back I should’ve talked with the manager and left.
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭
    Weird??? So he told you the PXG was too low spin for you??? What drivers had you hit before asking about the PXG and what kind of numbers are we talking?

Even if it was too low spin i dont see why he wouldnt let you hit so you could see for yourself!

What a let down man!
  • GL3GL3 NHClubWRX Posts: 82 ClubWRX
    That sucks! It’s not like a full bag fitting is cheap either, plus the drive! I hope you get your money back and then some. Good luck!
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    After hitting a few drivers I asked to hit the PXG, he immediately said NO it’s too low spin. The fitter was a condescending a******. I wanted to leave 10 mins into my full bag fitting. Kept telling me this was a fitting and I couldn’t just try stuff that I liked. Told him that I wanted to try the new gear that recently came out to see how it stacked up against mine.

It sounds like you wanted to demo clubs and not be fit for what's best for you. Not trying to be an a$$, but he was doing what a fitter does. His bedside manner was not good.

To get the most out of a fitting, you need to let them take over, then at the end, ask to hit some clubs you like, not ten minutes in.
    Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Callaway 2018 MB irons
    Callaway MD4 wedges
    NIKE Method Mod 60 putter
  • diablocrusherdiablocrusher Members Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    After reading about your experience and others at that location it appears the fitter is just one of those who doesn’t want to work. We’ve all worked with that guy, the one who spends more time trying to get out of doing work than actually doing it.

Telling multiple people who walked in “why did you come, we aren’t going to do better than what you have” is pretty much saying I don’t feel like going through all the different clubs with you so just hit a few and get outta here so I can go back to solitaire on the computer.

Sounds to me like a bad employee who needs to find a new line of work.
    Driver - Cobra King F6
    3 wood - Cobra F8
    Hybrid - Callaway XR Pro
    Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
    Wedges - Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58
    Putter - Yes! Callie
  • otwotw Doug Ferreri Members Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭
    Had the same experience at a CC. Told the fitter what I wanted to try. Without seeing me swing he judged my Swing Speed on my grey hair and said it would not fit me. He gave me ultra light shafts which were duck hooking. After 30 minutes I left with never trying want I wanted. Contacted corporate and did get a refund.
    "Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.paulbertholy.com

www.dougferreri.com
  • Marc446Marc446 Members Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a bad experience w Club Chump myself. Got full refund. Cool Clubs from now on.
    Weird??? So he told you the PXG was too low spin for you??? What drivers had you hit before asking about the PXG and what kind of numbers are we talking?

Even if it was too low spin i dont see why he wouldnt let you hit so you could see for yourself!

What a let down man!

A g400 and a TS3 I brought with me lol. Said I hit the g400 perfect lol
    3wood wrote:

What a let down man!

A g400 and a TS3 I brought with me lol. Said I hit the g400 perfect lol

Wow. I would have been bummed too. Chalk it up as a bad experience!
    BMC wrote:
    After hitting a few drivers I asked to hit the PXG, he immediately said NO it’s too low spin. The fitter was a condescending a******. I wanted to leave 10 mins into my full bag fitting. Kept telling me this was a fitting and I couldn’t just try stuff that I liked. Told him that I wanted to try the new gear that recently came out to see how it stacked up against mine.

It sounds like you wanted to demo clubs and not be fit for what's best for you. Not trying to be an a$$, but he was doing what a fitter does. His bedside manner was not good.

To get the most out of a fitting, you need to let them take over, then at the end, ask to hit some clubs you like, not ten minutes in.

I get that but I didn’t ask to hit certain stuff 10 min, he was being an a$$ at the start and didn’t stop. I wanted to be fit by trying everything that I thought would be good for me. That way I can leave knowing it won’t work and not have any second guesses. I would’ve never known the Miura mc 501 was the best iron for me without asking.
    Fitting is all about trying different clubs. Nothing wrong with the OP wanting to see how the PXG compared to his gamer. Maybe on paper it appeared to be too low spin, but what if OP hit 15 yards farther than his G400? He will never know because the fitter didnt even let him test it!!!

Far from demoing clubs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file