Tested the 2019 balls against the (2018) TM TP5x. Results.

golfnhack

I had an opportunity to test some of the 2019 balls. I am a low ball/high spin player. My current index is 2.4. My swing speed is between 104-107MPH. My driver is a 12* TaylorMade M3 with a 70X Aldila Copper Xtorsion shaft at 45'.

VERY IMPORTANT: These are MY findings. They may wildly differ from yours. I urge you to not base your decisions on my post, but test they yourself. I find that real world testing is far better (FOR ME) than launch monitor testing. If you have a good relationship with the pro at a course, see if he would allow you to hit some drives down the 10th fairway in the early evening.

The Bridgestone ball was recommended by the fitting done at the PGA show. The Callaway ERC soft was recommended by Callaway based on the fact I told them I was Low ball/High Spin, and that the Hex Tour Black was the best Callaway ball I ever used. No fitting was done by them. The Srixon XV was recommended based on the same fact, as was the Mizuno and Titleist ProV1X.

Temperature was about 65*. Wind was into me from the left. Fairways were NOT overseeded, so roll definitely played a factor. I did 3 rounds of testing, using the following order If you had 2 balls of make A, B and C, then you would hit A, B, C, A, B, C. The 3rd round was needed because I forgot to hit the 2019 Srixon XV.

Note: When looking at the pics, be aware that camera angle may make ball locations seem off.... but they are correct.

Round 1

Ball Order: Range, Bridgestone, Callaway, Mizuno, Titleist, TP5X, Bridgestone, Callaway, Mizuno, Titleist, TP5X

Range Ball - 252

2019 Mizuno RBx - 254

2019 Mizuno RBx - 256

2018 Bridgestone Tour B Rx - 258

2019 Callaway ERC soft - 261

2019 ProV1x - 265

2019 Callaway ERC soft - 272

2018 TM TP5x - 274

2018 Bridgestone Tour B Rx - 276

2019 ProV1x - 276

2018 TM TP5x - 320

Note: I do not know how the TM was 44 yards longer. I do know I hit it well, and I do know it ran like a scolded dog. Only thing I can thing of is that I hit a sprinkler head..... twice :)

Round 2

Ball Order: Bridgestone, Titleist, TP5X, Bridgestone, Titleist, TP5X

Note: The wind died down for this round, hence the distances were slightly longer

2018 Bridgestone Tour B Rx - 281

2018 Bridgestone Tour B Rx - 283

2019 ProV1x - 285

2018 TM TP5x - 285

2019 ProV1x - 295

2018 TM TP5x - 301

Round 3

Ball Order: Srixon, TP5X, Srixon, TP5X

Note: Wind really picked up from the left, hence the balls ended up on the right. The side spin was noticabely more with the Srixons

2019 Srixon XV = 282

2018 TM TP5x - 285

2019 Srixon XV = 292

2018 TM TP5x - 307

Conclusions:

1) The Mizuno RBx was SHORT... I am talking Range ball short. If you are thinking about buying these, I would suggest you buy a sleeve first to try them out. I did also hit the normal RB, and that ball went SUPER low for me.... like half the height of the TP5X.

2) There is no doubt, and this test confirmed it, that the TP5X balls is the best ball for my swing.

Since the TP5X works so well for me, I had a buddy of mine hit it too. His swing speed is only about 92-95 MPH. The TP5x was NOT the best ball for him. He definitely hits lower compression balls further. As mentioned, you should really do this test yourself to determine the ball that is right for you.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

A very very in depth and extremely subjective test but, it’s real and I like what I see.

It’s cool you got the results that you did. I have 9 different ball brands in my closet and I know they all perform differently so it’s entertaining to read when people think, “a ball is a ball”.

Good stuff.

thanks for sharing

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just so I’m clear, the TP5x you tested is the outgoing ball?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Nice report!

I see two 2018 TP5X so which one is 2019 TP5X ?

Callaway Paradym 9* as 10* Graphite Design VR 6 S

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   4 - PW  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 55*/11  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 59*/11  Aerotech SteelFiber 110cw S

Titliest Vokey SM9 T-Grind Chrome 61*/ 5   TT DG S200

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

Pretty in depth review that seems biased and unbelievable especially without a launch monitor. There’s not gonna be a 70 yard gap with ANY ball when struck by just an average golfer.

no youre right, theres not going to be a 70 gap between any ball. But if that one ball repeatedly ends up being farther than the rest, then its decisively the longest for you.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

Pretty in depth review that seems biased and unbelievable especially without a launch monitor. There’s not gonna be a 70 yard gap with ANY ball when struck by just an average golfer.

Also. If you take out the last ball (which as I stated I have no idea how it went that far) there is only a 22 yard gap. (You can’t count the range ball)

Tp5x was the longest for me off the tee and irons but it wasn’t consistent with spin numbers and this is a problem. To me it’s a gimmick ball in the same class as the AVX. I am not alone with this opinion. Just take a look at review videos with launch monitor data. You will see some shots that spin wild and some that don’t spin enough. It’s not about compression either..... the TP5 and both ProV1 models are superior IMO

Tp5x was the longest for me off the tee and irons but it wasn’t consistent with spin numbers and this is a problem. To me it’s a gimmick ball in the same class as the AVX. I am not alone with this opinion. Just take a look at review videos with launch monitor data. You will see some shots that spin wild and some that don’t spin enough. It’s not about compression either..... the TP5 and both ProV1 models are superior IMO

Three of the top 10 players in the world play TP5x. To call it a gimmick and put it into the same class as a ball that has no tour presence is kind of ridiculous IMO.

Everyone will have different preferences and needs, and the 5x is most definitely not for everyone. I played TP5 all of 2017, but switched to TP5x in 2018 and played some of the best golf of my life. The spin characteristics are far more consistent than anything I've played before. My only gripe was short game spin and that's been addressed in the 2019 ball. Plus the 2019 ball is a little longer off the driver. Win-win for me.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Three of the top 10 players in the world play TP5x. To call it a gimmick and put it into the same class as a ball that has no tour presence is kind of ridiculous IMO.

Everyone will have different preferences and needs, and the 5x is most definitely not for everyone. I played TP5 all of 2017, but switched to TP5x in 2018 and played some of the best golf of my life. The spin characteristics are far more consistent than anything I've played before. My only gripe was short game spin and that's been addressed in the 2019 ball. Plus the 2019 ball is a little longer off the driver. Win-win for me.

Be careful using tour played TP5x and TP5 balls compared to what we can buy. Last I checked there was eight, yes EIGHT different versions of TP5 and x on USGA conforming list. That leads me to believe most tour players are not playing what we buy.

From what I’ve seen with 2017 TP5 versions is they are a distance ball with tour wrapper.

Hoping the 2019 version is good enough for tour pros to play the retail version. Believe it or not Pro V only has one version listed that we can’t buy and that is V1 DOT. There is no special versions of V1x.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Be careful using tour played TP5x and TP5 balls compared to what we can buy. Last I checked there was eight, yes EIGHT different versions of TP5 and x on USGA conforming list. That leads me to believe most tour players are not playing what we buy.

From what I’ve seen with 2017 TP5 versions is they are a distance ball with tour wrapper.

Hoping the 2019 version is good enough for tour pros to play the retail version. Believe it or not Pro V only has one version listed that we can’t buy and that is V1 DOT. There is no special versions of V1x.

You are wrong on that belief. They're playing the same ball you can buy at retail (with one possible exception I'll note below for TP5). You need to know what you're looking at when you look at the conforming ball list. If you search for TP5x, you'll see there are exactly two entries for 2019 (Retail and Tour) along with the three that were there for the past two seasons (Retail, Tour, alternate Tour).

2019 Retail side-stamp: ahleftcur.GIF TP5x ahrightcur.GIF with ahleftcur.GIFahrightcur.GIF in gray

2019 Tour side-stamp: ahleftcur.GIF TP5x ahrightcur.GIF with 5x in gray

2017-18 Retail side-stamp: linel.GIF TP5x linel.GIF with x in gray

2017-18 Tour side-stamp: triangleleft2.GIF TP5x triangleRight2.GIF with x in gray

2017-18 Tour alt side-stamp: triangleleft2.GIFtriangleleft2.GIFtriangleleft2.GIF TP5x triangleRight2.GIFtriangleRight2.GIFtriangleRight2.GIF with x in gray

The only ball that could possibly be different is the 2017-18 Tour ball with the alternate side stamp. I have speculated in the past this could be an unreleased proto or even a prior year ball, but people in the know have been adamant it is simply a side-stamp option available to Tour players. I'm still not 100% convinced of that, but I've heard it from multiple sources who would have that information and have been forthcoming with inside info in the past. So for now I'll take it as truth that it's the same ball just with a different stamp.

With the TP5, the same five entries are present with two additions: 1) there is a 2017-18 yellow ball with the Retail side-stamp (available only in Japan, I believe), and 2) There is an additional 2019 TP5 with the entire side-stamp in gray. It's unclear if this was an early proto, or why this exists. If this is removed during the season, we'll know it was a proto of some sort. But even if this is a non-retail ball, most are not playing this variant.

Regarding the Pro V1x, it is 100% false that there is no special version on the conforming list. Most of the entries are prior year balls, but these two were never available at retail:

(wedge) lineB1.GIF Pro V1x (wedge)

(arrow) Pro V1x + (arrow) with (arrows) in gray

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Sorry but you are wrong. This is from current conforming list:

(wedge) - Pro V1x (wedge)

(wedge) Pro V1 * (wedge)

(arrow) . Pro V1 (arrow) with (arrows) in gray

(wedge) . AVX . (wedge)

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

You are wrong on that belief. They're playing the same ball you can buy at retail (with one possible exception I'll note below for TP5). You need to know what you're looking at when you look at the conforming ball list. If you search for TP5x, you'll see there are exactly two entries for 2019 (Retail and Tour) along with the three that were there for the past two seasons (Retail, Tour, alternate Tour).

2019 Retail side-stamp: ahleftcur.GIF TP5x ahrightcur.GIF with ahleftcur.GIFahrightcur.GIF in gray

2019 Tour side-stamp: ahleftcur.GIF TP5x ahrightcur.GIF with 5x in gray

2017-18 Retail side-stamp: linel.GIF TP5x linel.GIF with x in gray

2017-18 Tour side-stamp: triangleleft2.GIF TP5x triangleRight2.GIF with x in gray

2017-18 Tour alt side-stamp: triangleleft2.GIFtriangleleft2.GIFtriangleleft2.GIF TP5x triangleRight2.GIFtriangleRight2.GIFtriangleRight2.GIF with x in gray

The only ball that could possibly be different is the 2017-18 Tour ball with the alternate side stamp. I have speculated in the past this could be an unreleased proto or even a prior year ball, but people in the know have been adamant it is simply a side-stamp option available to Tour players. I'm still not 100% convinced of that, but I've heard it from multiple sources who would have that information and have been forthcoming with inside info in the past. So for now I'll take it as truth that it's the same ball just with a different stamp.

With the TP5, the same five entries are present with two additions: 1) there is a 2017-18 yellow ball with the Retail side-stamp (available only in Japan, I believe), and 2) There is an additional 2019 TP5 with the entire side-stamp in gray. It's unclear if this was an early proto, or why this exists. If this is removed during the season, we'll know it was a proto of some sort. But even if this is a non-retail ball, most are not playing this variant.

Regarding the Pro V1x, it is 100% false that there is no special version on the conforming list. Most of the entries are prior year balls, but these two were never available at retail:

(wedge) lineB1.GIF Pro V1x (wedge)

This is correct and there are two alternate Pro V1 versions (not 1 like he said) and also an alternate AVX as well.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Great info here guys, thanks for sharing and correcting me!

Just took a look at fresh list and two things have changed sense my last visit:

1. TM has removed several versions of TP5 from the list.

2 Titleist has added a new V1x, the * version.

I did indeed miss speak about no special version of V1x. Completely forgot about the + version.

The V1x dot shown above is popular on tour, that is the ball Fowler was playing before switching to TM. It’s a good ball I have a couple dozen myself.

I too have heard the story about TM changing sidestamps for optics only. However DJ himself has mentioned playing a “proto” ball that fit his swing better. Rory also mentioned in interviews that he like “DJ’s ball.”

Seeing TM have fewer versions on USGA list makes me even more excited to try 2019 version. I’m hoping the retail version is closer to what the tour plays play on tv.

Again, thanks for the correction!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

OP, what did you think of the new Pro V1x and Srixon XV? Both of those are of interest to me.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

For those worried/lamenting the "Tour only" versions, do you think TM executives sit around a conference table saying, "gee Dave, I think we should release the inferior version to the masses and save the special ones for our Tour staff. That should really help us boost sales and gain market share..."

Silly

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

OP, what did you think of the new Pro V1x and Srixon XV? Both of those are of interest to me.

For me... side spin and back spin with the srixon was significantly more than pro v 1x. I preferred the pro v over the xv. Remember...I only tester driver.

Ps. I posted in the 2019 TP5 thread. I thought I had found 3 of the new 2019 TP5X balls. I stated they cut after just one wedge shot and durability was horrible. I stated I preferred the 2018 TP5x. Turns out someone pointed ou I had not found 2019 TP5x balls but tour only balls.

Can you imagine the public outrage if TM released a ball that cut after 1 wedge shot...and you ask why they have tour only versions. It’s because tour pros don’t pay for balls, and can simply replace a cut ball with a softer cover of needed.

Ps. I posted in the 2019 TP5 thread. I thought I had found 3 of the new 2019 TP5X balls. I stated they cut after just one wedge shot and durability was horrible. I stated I preferred the 2018 TP5x. Turns out someone pointed ou I had not found 2019 TP5x balls but tour only balls.

Can you imagine the public outrage if TM released a ball that cut after 1 wedge shot...and you ask why they have tour only versions. It’s because tour pros don’t pay for balls, and can simply replace a cut ball with a softer cover of needed.

I've heard though that most pro's carry only around 9 balls (on average) or so in their bag per any given round. If they cut after one wedge.... they'd be out of balls very fast I'd imagine. Unless guys are walking around with 18+ balls, which may be true. It could also be you got a ball from one specific player that likes a uber soft cover and does indeed carry dozens of balls in their bag.

So Rickie games 1/2 club in the irons, and 10 yards with his Driver. He wins in the very first tournament he puts the ball in play.

Of course... I did (like many others) wander whether that wedge pitch that ended up rolling into the water would have held the green if it were a ProV1X

So Rickie games 1/2 club in the irons, and 10 yards with his Driver. He wins in the very first tournament he puts the ball in play.

Of course... I did (like many others) wander whether that wedge pitch that ended up rolling into the water would have held the green if it were a ProV1X

He could have been playing balata and that pitch may have still ended up over the green. It doesn't take much water between the ball and club face to reduce friction to the point where it's nearly impossible to get enough spin on the ball to hold.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post