Not a good start for Paul Azinger

Wildwing55

I know it's tough taking over for Johnny Miller. But:

Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.

Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.

Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.

Get this and get it good??? :cheesy:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Miller and I like Zinger. They don't have to be the same style. Zinger will do well and have his followers. But he will have his haters too....they all do.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I couldn't stand Johnny Miller and his constant "when I played in 1974" comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today

The main thing I won't miss from Miller is him talking about himself. I prefer Azinger already.

I only paid half attention to today's show, but Zinger mentioned twice that he had won this tournament. Might have been more, but I caught at least two.

there was .. "when I ..... " from Azinger at least a half dozen times.

It’s called adding insight from being inside the ropes.

Everyone here that has announced a golf tournament on national tv please raise your hand. I think he did well first time.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I believe the booth commentators should people of integrity and the winner of at least one major. I’m sorry but it’s hard to listen to someone of low moral fiber “call golf.” Didn't hear him talking about the below-listed event as he was patting himself on the back yesterday.

On day two at the 1991 Doral Ryder Open, a TV viewer called in saying Paul Azinger had committed a rules violation the day before. When taking his stance on the edge of a water hazard, Zinger nudged a small rock, thereby moving a loose impediment in a hazard. Normally a two-stroke penalty, Azinger signed an incorrect scorecard, earning him a DQ.

Zinger will improve but he won't "replace" Miller

True...Miller became an icon doing it mostly "his way". But Azinger will challenge or certainly question player decisions, etc.

With such a bizzare happenstance going on with Rickie, I seems like Paul got a little caught up into it from a player perspective.

Azinger seemed like a guy that was afraid to say anything offensive or hurt anyones feelings and that isn't going to be possible if he plans to have a successful career in the booth. It will take time for him to get comfortable and realize as long as he's fair and objective it's okay to be critical. As they pointed out in the beginning of the broadcast, Zinger has some big shoes to fill.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I believe the booth commentators should people of integrity and the winner of at least one major. I’m sorry but it’s hard to listen to someone of low moral fiber “call golf.” Didn't hear him talking about the below-listed event as he was patting himself on the back yesterday.

On day two at the 1991 Doral Ryder Open, a TV viewer called in saying Paul Azinger had committed a rules violation the day before. When taking his stance on the edge of a water hazard, Zinger nudged a small rock, thereby moving a loose impediment in a hazard. Normally a two-stroke penalty, Azinger signed an incorrect scorecard, earning him a DQ.

Not sure about low moral fiber because a TV viewer call in.

My wife and I had the chance to meet him at the Memorial Tournament in the late 90's. He had already been through his cancer, and my wife was surviving breast cancer, so they both knew chemo well. He was finishing up a practice round, and she simply wanted to say hi and get his autograph. So we caught him as he was walking up from the 18th, and she asked him to sign her small book she had, then she said 'I'm a survivor too'. He stood and talked with us for 15 minutes, it was like we had known him all our lives. He was so kind, and he wished her well, shook my hand and hers and said 'you're going to be fine'. I'll never forget how nice he was, and how instantly golf took a backseat during that conversation. He has moral fiber. I saw it up close, the concern and encouragement was real.

Should have gambled on Duval.Azinger is limited.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I know it's tough taking over for Johnny Miller. But:

Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.

Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.

Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.

bad choice I thought for NBC you have been grooming Duval and Leonard which I believe both especially Justin will be great commentators.

Why does golf have to be commentated by former Tour players? Networks keep regurgitating the same guys over and over expecting a different outcome. When I think back to my childhood, I still hear The Masters in Pat Summerall's voice. Guys like Red Barber, Vin Scully, and Mel Allen never played baseball at the highest levels, yet are revered for the job they did in the booth. Marv Albert is still the voice I hear when I think of NBA basketball games as a kid. It doesn't require having played the game at the highest levels to have knowledge of the game and speak intelligently and interestingly about the game.

I would like to see the result of having an Erik Anders Lang, Andy Johnson, Brendan Porath or DJ Piehowski in the booth. I told my wife last night, Tony Romo would be a welcome change to the CBS golf team. Not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen though!

Why does golf have to be commentated by former Tour players? Networks keep regurgitating the same guys over and over expecting a different outcome. When I think back to my childhood, I still hear The Masters in Pat Summerall's voice. Guys like Red Barber, Vin Scully, and Mel Allen never played baseball at the highest levels, yet are revered for the job they did in the booth. Marv Albert is still the voice I hear when I think of NBA basketball games as a kid. It doesn't require having played the game at the highest levels to have knowledge of the game and speak intelligently and interestingly about the game.

I would like to see the result of having an Erik Anders Lang, Andy Johnson, Brendan Porath or DJ Piehowski in the booth. I told my wife last night, Tony Romo would be a welcome change to the CBS golf team. Not holding my breath waiting for any of this to happen though!

What makes Tony Romo so effective in his NFL analyst job is that he has tremendous insight into the game, coaching philosophies, reading defenses and sharing what he sees from the defense before the ball is snapped. I want that same insight from my golf analyst, what are the golfer and caddie discussing, what are the options, what pressure might they been feeling, from an ex-pro level what is a great, good or poor shot.

All sports have gotten more technical and analytical and sports fans seems to want more from the broadcasters than just a running commentary of what we can see with our own eyes and a little unrelated chit chat thrown in. I remember watching the old Met's games with Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy in the booth and it was painful. They bantered back and forth about old unrelated stories of the past and Kiner was often drunk before the end of the game. I like the direction golf broadcasting is going, but I'm not sure they found the right personalities yet.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

^What the who?! It is ;)

Bill Paxton - Chet and Hudson in a couple of 80s classics.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

What makes Tony Romo so effective in his NFL analyst job is that he has tremendous insight into the game, coaching philosophies, reading defenses and sharing what he sees from the defense before the ball is snapped. I want that same insight from my golf analyst, what are the golfer and caddie discussing, what are the options, what pressure might they been feeling, from an ex-pro level what is a great, good or poor shot.

All sports have gotten more technical and analytical and sports fans seems to want more from the broadcasters than just a running commentary of what we can see with our own eyes and a little unrelated chit chat thrown in. I remember watching the old Met's games with Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy in the booth and it was painful. They bantered back and forth about old unrelated stories of the past and Kiner was often drunk before the end of the game. I like the direction golf broadcasting is going, but I'm not sure they found the right personalities yet.

Verne Lundquist, Ben Wright, Jack Whitaker, Henry Longhurst, Chris Schenkel and Scott Van Pelt have proven to be just as insightful as a former Tour pro. What makes Tony Romo so effective as an analyst is knowledge and preparation! He knows the game of golf and would presumably prepare for an analyst role in the same fashion as he would an NFL game.

Verne Lundquist, Ben Wright, Jack Whitaker, Henry Longhurst, Chris Schenkel and Scott Van Pelt have proven to be just as insightful as a former Tour pro. What makes Tony Romo so effective as an analyst is knowledge and preparation! He knows the game of golf and would presumably prepare for an analyst role in the same fashion as he would an NFL game.

Knowledge he gained as an NFL QB, not a commentator preparing for a game. Romo has experience and insight on how to read a defense, what to do given the read and the game situation. A non-pro or coach isn't going to gain that experience and insight during a 3 day prep. Their preparation involves learning the players numbers and names, meeting with players, watching some film and observing teams practices, none of that replaces real on the field experience.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Knowledge he gained as an NFL QB, not a commentator preparing for a game. Romo has experience and insight on how to read a defense, what to do given the read and the game situation. A non-pro or coach isn't going to gain that experience and insight during a 3 day prep. Their preparation involves learning the players numbers and names, meeting with players, watching some film and observing teams practices, none of that replaces real on the field experience.

I completely disagree and so do a lot of others. There is a thread pertaining to this subject already in existence. Romo has played golf at a higher level than 99.9% of this board! Your theory also doesn't explain Longhurst, who was never a golfer but a career soldier in the UK. It doesn't explain Pat Summerall, who played and commentated NFL football for nearly five decades. It doesn't explain Ben Wright, Verne Lundquist or Chris Schenkel.

Agree to disagree!