Is Rickie a closer now???

oz dee cee

Time will tell, but I’m thinking Rickie feels like Steve Young after he led the 49ers to the SB win. Monkey finally off his back.

Watching this final round was especially stressful for me because I’ve been a fan of Rickie since his college days. Taka (his grandpa) plays in my men’s league and we grandpa’s love bragging about our grandkids. When our buddies grandkids excel it’s a celebration for all of us.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time will tell, but I’m thinking Rickie feels like Steve Young after he led the 49ers to the SB win. Monkey finally off his back.

Watching this final round was especially stressful for me because I’ve been a fan of Rickie since his college days. Taka (his grandpa) plays in my men’s league and we grandpa’s love bragging about our grandkids. When our buddies grandkids excel it’s a celebration for all of us.

The monkey won't be off Rickie's back until he wins a major.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I'd say. You see his girl??!!

Golf wise. Not great weather. Bad break on the ball rolling into the hazard. I'd give him a B+.

Weather shouldn't be a factor. The top 0.01% should be able to play in any weather as part of the challenge is the elements you face on any given day. Most of the best scores on the day were shot by players who have played on different tours and conditions though. Might be something to it.

Is Fowler a closer? Obviously yes. 5 wins is no joke and plenty have never got it done at all.

The real question for me in these situations is "Did the player want it?" It takes something really special to dig out this type of result. Fowler was the one that wanted it and his desire matched ability.

Plenty others say they want it but their game doesn't reflect it. Think he's good for another win or two this year.

Yeah but it’s not like Alison stokes (pretty sure that’s her name) wasn’t exactly struggling. She make LOTS of money doing what she does (sports fitness model). Is it Rickie money? No. By how many people make Rickie money. Not many in the grand scheme. I think he closed. He had a huge lead, opened for others to step through (with help from a terrible break for the second penalty shot on 11) then he promptly slammed it with the closing holes to get it done. He won by two. Is he a closer? Meh. But he did close the door yesterday. Agree or disagree it doesn’t matter. If you love or hate Fowler, yesterday the WMO was the best sporting event on TV IMHO

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Most people fold under pressure it's a fact

So funny for guys who cant break 80,90 or whatever to comment on a tour player...you go out there and do what they do, lol......he prolly got nice "massage" last night from his chick and probably depositing that $1.3 mil check right now as we speak....that was his last 24 hrs how was yours?

To come back from being 5 up, a dbl, trpl 1 down to winning in horrid conditions, yeah he did alright!..

I think he won ugly but he did win. After all he was one back in the fairway on 15 with 250 yards to the hole and became one of 5 guys to hit the green in 2, 2 putted to tie and finished with a 2 putt birdie on 17 to get the 2 shot cushion coming home. What made those shots important is that he had trouble with them in the past with the tourney on the line. Going forward he still looks more comfortable chasing than leading but once he gets more used to his ball in all the conditions he'll play with more confidence. I was happy he turned tings around after 11.

So funny for guys who cant break 80,90 or whatever to comment on a tour player...you go out there and do what they do, lol......he prolly got nice "massage" last night from his chick and probably depositing that $1.3 mil check right now as we speak....that was his last 24 hrs how was yours?

To come back from being 5 up, a dbl, trpl 1 down to winning in horrid conditions, yeah he did alright!..

This is a golf forum and the sole purpose is to give fans a place to discuss things like this and pretty much everyone on this site scores above par every round..so exactly what would you like for people to discuss and who would be able to participate in such discussion?

This is a golf forum and the sole purpose is to give fans a place to discuss things like this and pretty much everyone on this site scores above par every round..so exactly what would you like for people to discuss and who would be able to participate in such discussion?

Don't worry, there are many here who are regularly outraged that discussion about golf and golfers happens on a golf discussion forum.

Just use the ignore function, saves you reading a lot of nonsense.

What an amateur would do or what their skill level is, is irrelevant in a discussion whether a professional golfer or athlete folds under pressure.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I don't think winning another regular tour event categorizes him as a closer.

The only thing that gets the monkey off of Rickie's back is a major.

Joining the ranks of the great one major winners, Duval, Couples, Love III, Kite... would be a definite step in the right direction.

It also puts you in the same category as Steve Jones, Michael Campbell, Rich Beem, Dave Toms, Mike Weir, Geoff Ogilvy, Jason Dufner, Keegan Bradley, and YE Yang - haters gonna hate.

Rickie is good for golf. He is in many ways the face of the PGA tour. Definitely not a closer but watching JT who is #4 in the world muck up his final round just shows the quality of player we have these days. All these guys have great swings with great track man numbers but where’s the guys who get it done on Sundays. Jack and Tiger were great because they did what they needed to do to win tournaments but having the leader pull a double and triple in the same round and the #4 golfer in the world can not come close to catching him is pretty sad. Grace did his share of choking once he got in position but his world ranking is not that of Thomas.

Agree. The modern Tour is filled with bland as vanilla, soft as Charmin pretenders.

If they're trailing by 2 heading into the final round you can bet your arse they'll shoot a 74. If they're trailing by 10 heading into the final round you can bet your arse they'll shoot a 64. Prime Tiger or Jack would eat these chumps for brunch.

I'd say. You see his girl??!!

Golf wise. Not great weather. Bad break on the ball rolling into the hazard. I'd give him a B+.

With $35M in on-course earnings and probably that much off-course, it's a bit like shooting extremely beautiful fish in a barrel.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

closer not yet

grinder ...earned some status points towards this if you ask me

still, think he has that winners paradox where he seems to have all the right tools to win but doesn't get it done almost like he doesn't believe he deserves it. Like being scared to win.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

He's had 7 54 hole leads in his career.

He's shot over par in the final round all 7 times.

In Rickie's last two wins, he's posted an over par score in the final round.

Is he a closer??

Reread Darth’s post then you tell me, lmao

A “survivor,” yea, I’ll go with that

A “closer????”

GTFOH???

Nice factoid Darth?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Rickie handled a lot of adversity with CLASS today.

He totally did. 100% agree, Rickie is a good dude by all accounts. That being said, I will stand by my statement that he lacks a lot of confidence under the pressure of a 4th round while in the lead. Maybe this win will push him to greater things.....who knows.

Or maybe he has confidence and instead of playin safe he stays aggressive and it ends up costing him

Nope. It's obvious he wants it too much. Kind of like Greg Norman at the Masters, or Phil at the US Open. He just loses his game.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Terrible break on 11 honestly, in normal conditions that shot prob is damn near perfect. Nailing that 15 footer for par after everything that went down showed a lot of gusto. Old rickie could have easily further unraveled from there.

Dont forget the 25 plus foot put he made to save par off the cart path.

Hey, maybe Rickie is the

New Phil!

Phil won his first major at 34.

Rickie is 30.

A closer..........what does a closer do?...........A closer gets the job done under pressure and that's exactly what Fowler did. Regardless of how the fiasco transpired on 11, coming into the final holes he found himself out of the lead and proceeded to go 2 under in crap conditions and take home the win. To me, that's what a closer does and this win should bode well confidence wise in the majors. Look to the Players next month as a possible indicator of what may transpire in the majors. I think this is his year to break through and for some reason I think the British Open will be the one......

Terrible break on 11 honestly, in normal conditions that shot prob is damn near perfect. Nailing that 15 footer for par after everything that went down showed a lot of gusto. Old rickie could have easily further unraveled from there.

Hey, maybe Rickie is the

New Phil!

Rickie is 30.

I really hope that he gets it done!

I never met him but Madison did and they played together out in Cali when her BFF was out there and she said he’s a perfect gentleman, great personality & really down to earth and a lot of fun.

The tour needs more “Rickies” and I really hope that he grabs a Major

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Weather shouldn't be a factor. The top 0.01% should be able to play in any weather as part of the challenge is the elements you face on any given day. Most of the best scores on the day were shot by players who have played on different tours and conditions though. Might be something to it.

Is Fowler a closer? Obviously yes. 5 wins is no joke and plenty have never got it done at all.

The real question for me in these situations is "Did the player want it?" It takes something really special to dig out this type of result. Fowler was the one that wanted it and his desire matched ability.

Plenty others say they want it but their game doesn't reflect it. Think he's good for another win or two this year.

Most of the best scores shot by players from other tours? Horschel -4, and there were 8 at -3 including Hatton, Aphibarnratt and 6 Americans.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Realistically speaking: He will win another tournament. I'm not saying the next one but, he definitely seemed to chill out a little bit more so than his previous leads blown tournaments.

The inner fan in me wants him to win every tournament there is including the majors. I like the fact that he represents Cobra / Puma, is "The orange wearing guy", and he does give a ton of time and money back to the game and charity. All around likeable dude.

have a bit more respect for guys who can do what you cannot do.....usually the people who have most trouble under pressure pass the most judgement for those under pressure...the msg board will be fine

Closing is winning under pressure, he did.....smoke the field no, but who cashing the check is all that matters....I thought grace would win to be honest but he folded when he got the lead, so did kuch, thomas.....my last tourney wire to wire 8 shots clear and $400...year b4 not so much. Complete meltdown....

Hey, maybe Rickie is the

New Phil!

Rickie is 30.

I never met him but Madison did and they played together out in Cali when her BFF was out there and she said hes a perfect gentleman, great personality & really down to earth and a lot of fun.

The tour needs more Rickies and I really hope that he grabs a Major

Cheers

RP

I have played with Rickie a couple times and been around him many times.

He is a decent, genuine person. Very easy to like. Not even remotely a jerk or full of himself.. Just a good person.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Hey, maybe Rickie is the

New Phil!

Rickie is 30.

I never met him but Madison did and they played together out in Cali when her BFF was out there and she said he’s a perfect gentleman, great personality & really down to earth and a lot of fun.

The tour needs more “Rickies” and I really hope that he grabs a Major

Cheers

RP

I have played with Rickie a couple times and been around him many times.

He is a decent, genuine person. Very easy to like. Not even remotely a jerk or full of himself.. Just a good person.

he thanked the Marshall after a disaster while week earlier or so Sergio is digging to China after bunker shot that didnt matter....and I like Sergio, lol