Junior Club extensions

darter79

I am not a club builder, I can re-grip but thats as far as I go in that. Know very little about it for what its worth. With as fast as kids grow I've read and asked some of you privately but figure I better post here to get more responses. For those that have done it is extending clubs worth it? I know you can use wooden dowels but what side issues does that cause? In this case the ts3 54 and 57 use the same heads the only difference is the 1.5 inches per iron. If I were to get someone to extend is it worth the cost savings or does it have a negative impact on the balance of the club, stiffness ect.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've extended woods/hybrids and putters for my son. I'll only extend a club once and max is 3 inches. Thus far, he hans't had any issues given that he is pretty weak still. If the kid swings it hard, the extensions have been known to break or come lose.

With regards to irons (assuming the kid plays some type of adult head), I would just buy new shafts. In your case with TS54's, I would definitely extend them 1.5 inches and I doubt you will have any problems. You will enjoy the cost savings as well. My local shop charges $3 for an extension + whichever grip you chose.

I'm not a pro club builder. Everything I have ever read about shaft extensions (2" or less) is that it will not have any negative effect. However, do remember to get the lie checked and adjusted if needed due to the now slightly longer club.

If I couldn't find extensions at my local golf mart, I would probably buy some from here:

https://www.golfworks.com/search.aspx?ss=shaft+extensions

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I've extended woods/hybrids and putters for my son. I'll only extend a club once and max is 3 inches. Thus far, he hans't had any issues given that he is pretty weak still. If the kid swings it hard, the extensions have been known to break or come lose.

With regards to irons (assuming the kid plays some type of adult head), I would just buy new shafts. In your case with TS54's, I would definitely extend them 1.5 inches and I doubt you will have any problems. You will enjoy the cost savings as well. My local shop charges $3 for an extension + whichever grip you chose.

They do it on kids irons with such a small diameter? US kids 54 I think is .500

On the woods you are speaking on adult woods right? Not junior shafts?

I'm not a pro club builder. Everything I have ever read about shaft extensions (2" or less) is that it will not have any negative effect. However, do remember to get the lie checked and adjusted if needed due to the now slightly longer club.

If I couldn't find extensions at my local golf mart, I would probably buy some from here:

https://www.golfwork...haft extensions

I'd be weary about bending US kids clubs. I could see the neck snapping very easily with any type of loft/lie adjustment at all.

Call your shop and make sure they have the correct diameter extension. But yes, I have extended a full set of old tour series irons.

With regards to woods, I have extended woods with adult and junior shafts in the past with no issues.

us kids lies are standard across the board. At least thats what they told me

I'd be weary about bending US kids clubs. I could see the neck snapping very easily with any type of loft/lie adjustment at all.

Didn't consider that. In that case, if I could not get the lie adjusted, then I wouldn't extend the shafts on USKG irons. I'd just sell the used TS3-54's and buy TS3-57's.

From the 2014 tech specs, yes, yes they are the same.

http://www.uskidsgolf.com/sites/uskidsgolf.com/files/USKG-2014-TechnicalSpecs.pdf

From the 2014 tech specs, yes, yes they are the same.

http://www.uskidsgol...hnicalSpecs.pdf

those are based on the old tour series for one the weight is off there but still a good reference.

I talked to the guys at our shop a few months ago when I went through this. Basically they used to stock extensions and just have to shave them down to fit . He said a little extra work, but not really that much of a pain

I tried to use stock extensions in a junior driver. I shaved it down until it wasn't there anymore..So, no it did not work. Wound up using dowels and she split the driver shaft in three holes played. Now, to be honest, I'm sure I buggered the whole thing up somehow but be careful when trying to backyard it.

I talked to the guys at our shop a few months ago when I went through this. Basically they used to stock extensions and just have to shave them down to fit . He said a little extra work, but not really that much of a pain

Guess I need to call my shop and see what they say and charge. Sounds like a plan to get a bit more life than 5 months out of this set.

I dunno, but I just don't see how extending junior clubs make sense financially.

A local shop charges $7 to lengthen, $3 to regrip plus $4 for new grips

To lengthen 13 clubs will cost over $150 easily.

And when your kids has outgrown them, would you sell the clubs as extended? Or return it back to the original length first, then sell it?

By then the clubs are even more outdated and thus lost even more value.

Instead, if you were to sell your current set at 50% of original value, you could put that towards the new set, or better yet find a used set next length up for the same amount.

I dunno, but I just don't see how extending junior clubs make sense financially.

A local shop charges $7 to lengthen, $3 to regrip plus $4 for new grips

To lengthen 13 clubs will cost over $150 easily.

And when your kids has outgrown them, would you sell the clubs as extended? Or return it back to the original length first, then sell it?

By then the clubs are even more outdated and thus lost even more value.

Instead, if you were to sell your current set at 50% of original value, you could put that towards the new set, or better yet find a used set next length up for the same amount.

When I used to get clubs extended for me most never charged a re-gripping fee but I do see your point as I've thought the same thing. However, when I was selling my used flynn I felt like I had to give them away and I wouldn't say I recovered anything. My understanding is uskg an easier sell but just considering different options here. Plus on another note not easy to find ts3 used in the right size.

I tried to use stock extensions in a junior driver. I shaved it down until it wasn't there anymore..So, no it did not work. Wound up using dowels and she split the driver shaft in three holes played. Now, to be honest, I'm sure I buggered the whole thing up somehow but be careful when trying to backyard it.

Yes newer lighter shafts are very brittle. One little nick and they will shatter or least lose their integrity. Had to replace a whole set of synergy shafts because we had a few break. I blame the shaft and bag chatter but still should not happen and I am not letting my kids put socks on all their clubs. I hate that sort of thing.