Anyone else alarmed by price increases?

Cornwall1888

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs.

Why does anyone, let alone the “younger generation”, need to keep buying new clubs?

You don’t start out playing any sport needing to use the newest and best equipment available. Like I said above, there is a very healthy used and secondhand market out there.

I have been playing this game for 15 years already and still in my 20's. So why am I not aloud to buy new equipment but the older generations are? And Like I have said the cost of equipment has lead me to this site, which means my equipment is from the used and secondhand market.

When younger kids walk into a golf store and immediately see the cost of clubs, what do you think their first impressions of the game are? I am talking about kids in high school. Most will probably say I cant afford this and probably shouldn't ever look into taking the game serious. Which leads to a lack of income coming into the industry and also the lack of people playing the game. Just my thought on what is going on, at least at my club. Most clubs will start closing down because they cant make money without people playing. Maybe this is just my area.

First of all, I encourage anyone that can afford it to continue buying the latest and greatest. More stock for me to chose from in the secondary market.

I agree with others that have already said what I am going to say. Over the past decade, the prices of the latest and greatest for the top manufacturers has relatively remained constant adjusted for inflation. There are years where everything gets a bit of a bump up in price, but new Drivers have been in the $400-500 range for a while if you wanted one. Volkeys have been $130 for years, and $300 for a new putter was not outrageous. I am typically at least 1 year behind if and when I decide to upgrade a club. I have given up trying to buy a better swing and have focused more on practice and playing at better courses. 2 more yards on irons and 5 more yards on a wood have no real bearing on my game. If anything, I waste time dialing in new clubs and getting used to them.

I can still remember paying $700 for Titleist tour model blades in 1985

Did you really just compare $700 from 1985 to $700 to 2019?

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

$399 for a TM M5 Fairway is absolute insanity if you ask me, there are other ways I would like to describe it but my post would be removed.....

Srixon 785/585 Modus 120
Taylormade MG3 52 /TW 56/60

Srixon ZXU 20* Accra TZ6 

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3 Wood Smoke Black

Taylormade Stealth+ 2 Driver Diamana ZF 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12.5

Titleist ProV1X Left Dash

Titleist Linkmaster

I have a couple of friends who insist on taking the plastic off of every club. One is buying a set of Tommy Armour's because they "felt just like the $1000 clubs". I've tried forever to get him to go for a set of lightly used clubs from 2-3 seasons ago, but he's not budging. To each his own.

For me, I can't remember the last time I took the plastic off a club. It's probably been 5+ years. I'm more than content buying stuff that's a couple years old for 1/3 of the retail price or less.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have a couple of friends who insist on taking the plastic off of every club. One is buying a set of Tommy Armour's because they "felt just like the $1000 clubs". I've tried forever to get him to go for a set of lightly used clubs from 2-3 seasons ago, but he's not budging. To each his own.

For me, I can't remember the last time I took the plastic off a club. It's probably been 5+ years. I'm more than content buying stuff that's a couple years old for 1/3 of the retail price or less.

I can deal with a little bit of wear on a used club but I try to buy 1-2 seasons old stuff as new on clearance or very lightly used. Irons are my biggest peeve - i can't play nicked up used dirty irons, especially with bad wear spots. I need to 'make my marks on them' with my swing pattern or else mentally I will never take to them. So I usually buy irons from CPO as like new or NOS from a retailer.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Yesterday a guy comes into the store and wants a new hybrid. He hits a few different models and through process of elimination chooses to order a Titleist. I walk him to the register, The price out the door is $324 and change. The kid asks if this is for a whole set?:) No, One hybrid, yes the prices are out of whack.

I can deal with a little bit of wear on a used club but I try to buy 1-2 seasons old stuff as new on clearance or very lightly used. Irons are my biggest peeve - i can't play nicked up used dirty irons, especially with bad wear spots. I need to 'make my marks on them' with my swing pattern or else mentally I will never take to them. So I usually buy irons from CPO as like new or NOS from a retailer.

I agree. You can see from my signature that there's no garbage in my bag. All total, I'm at about $650-700 and if I sold everything I could get almost all of that money back. In fact, if I sold a year from now I could probably still get most of that money back because somebody else took the big new-club depreciation hit. People who are patient and find the right clubs at the right prices can change equipment quite often without spending a ton of money every year.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs.

Why does anyone, let alone the “younger generation”, need to keep buying new clubs?

You don’t start out playing any sport needing to use the newest and best equipment available. Like I said above, there is a very healthy used and secondhand market out there.

I have been playing this game for 15 years already and still in my 20's. So why am I not aloud to buy new equipment but the older generations are? And Like I have said the cost of equipment has lead me to this site, which means my equipment is from the used and secondhand market.

When younger kids walk into a golf store and immediately see the cost of clubs, what do you think their first impressions of the game are? I am talking about kids in high school. Most will probably say I cant afford this and probably shouldn't ever look into taking the game serious. Which leads to a lack of income coming into the industry and also the lack of people playing the game. Just my thought on what is going on, at least at my club. Most clubs will start closing down because they cant make money without people playing. Maybe this is just my area.

I agree that the cost is a huge limiting factor. I've looked into memberships every year for the last decade, and could never pull the trigger on one because even the young executive level meant sacrificing something for my family. I don't know if I'd say it's a deterrent for golf in general, but it does force people to be more creative about how they access equipment and courses that aren't budget-friendly for early-career adults.

With regard to the prices, I think the release cycles and the constant upgrading are what make the prices seem unreasonable. TV, car, and cell phone companies come out with new models that have new features every year and most people don't feel compelled to upgrade those on a yearly basis. The prices are high, but the prices really only get unreasonable if your upgrade cycle is too short. If you trade every phone/car in for the newest model, you're absorbing the largest amount of depreciation every year. We tend to treat golf clubs like consumables and they probably shouldn't be.

If someone chooses to, a lot of money can be spent on new gear each season; regardless of sport.

It's really not that different than other hobbies/ pursuits like fly fishing, skiing and snowboarding, etc. The new stuff that comes out is never cheaper; that is not unique to golf.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I'm actually glad they are raising prices. The higher they go, the less tempting it becomes to buy new equipment. In a strange way, it makes me more content with what I have.

I love the idea of owning the m5 fairway... but I'm not forking over $400. lol

I'm not even gonna touch the 'inflation' or 'r&d' arguments. I'm not smart enough for all that. Do I think that the price of current cycle equipment can be prohibitively expensive for people new to the game? Absolutely. Do I think that people that are new to the game should go into a golf shop and buy the latest greatest equipment? Probably not. I have a friend who is just getting into the game. He got a used set of irons from Play-it-again. He filled out the rest of his bag from ebay and online shopping from previous years models.

Golf shops sell equipment. They are going to try to get you to buy the latest and greatest. Equipment manufacturers sell equipment. They will try to get you to buy the latest and greatest. We have products pushed on us from every angle with advertisements on TV, social media, print ads, internet ads, everywhere. Just because they try to sell you the newest thing doesnt mean that you have to buy it. Does it make you feel awesome to unsheathe the newest badest driver on the block on the first tee? Probably. Did a salesperson or advertisement just peg you and have you spend more than you needed to in order to launch a golf ball down the fairway? Yup. If it makes you feel good? Buy it. If you can't afford it? Don't.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

People cherry-picking one or 2 items from a given year gone by(to base past pricing as high or higher than now) aren't getting it. The entire spectrum of brands and releases are high now, that's the difference. It's not just one or two items, it's the entirety of the equipment realm.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I agree that the cost is a huge limiting factor. I've looked into memberships every year for the last decade, and could never pull the trigger on one because even the young executive level meant sacrificing something for my family. I don't know if I'd say it's a deterrent for golf in general, but it does force people to be more creative about how they access equipment and courses that aren't budget-friendly for early-career adults.

With regard to the prices, I think the release cycles and the constant upgrading are what make the prices seem unreasonable. TV, car, and cell phone companies come out with new models that have new features every year and most people don't feel compelled to upgrade those on a yearly basis. The prices are high, but the prices really only get unreasonable if your upgrade cycle is too short. If you trade every phone/car in for the newest model, you're absorbing the largest amount of depreciation every year. We tend to treat golf clubs like consumables and they probably shouldn't be.

You don't know people that absolutely must have the newest cell phone? If not them, their kids...

Don’t buy brand new. All of last years stuff that we were drooling over is available at super deep discounts. Why would you buy a $600 epic flash when you can wait until next March / April and get it for $150 used?

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

The sweet spot to me is to buy last years stuff brand new or barely used. The only time I buy new is when I have random shop credit to burn.

Also, there are a few companies holding the line when it comes to pricing. Mizuno irons are 150 each with nice premium shaft choices and they are offering a 400 dollar driver. We should make a point to reward these companies.

I am. It wasn't that long ago when drivers were $299, woods were $249, iron sets were $699 and wedges were $99 or $119. Prices of new clubs blow me away.

I just feel like these types of statements are deliberately misleading. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find that golf club prices have been flat or negative once adjusted for inflation.

Some quick googling on just a few Callaway releases over the past 10+ years;

GBB - 2015 - $500

BBA - 2014 - $625

RFE - 2013 - $500

RF - 2012 - $500

FT Tour -2010 - $625

FTiq - 2008 - $625

Some random iron sets;

XHot Pro - 2012 - $1000

Diablo Forged - 2010 - $1250

Big Bertha - 2008 - $740

Big Bertha - 2006 - $960

Big Bertha Fusion - 2006 - $1280

And those numbers aren't adjusted. So new drivers being $500-600 doesn't seem alarming.

Deliberately? Hmmm. I paid $699 for my MP69's five or six years ago. Oh, brand new as they had just come out. My Titleist 910 woods were 249 each. Again, brand new and within the past 10 years. I think my R9 Superquad for either $299 or $349. I can't remember. I used that driver for 7 years. I bought all of those within the past 10 years and all purchased at a brick and mortar store. Not used and no discounts. So, yes, I'll stick with what I said above and the next time you feel the need to call somebody dishonest you had better be correct.

Deliberately? Hmmm. I paid $699 for my MP69's five or six years ago. Oh, brand new as they had just come out. My Titleist 910 woods were 249 each. Again, brand new and within the past 10 years. I think my R9 Superquad for either $299 or $349. I can't remember. I used that driver for 7 years. I bought all of those within the past 10 years and all purchased at a brick and mortar store. Not used and no discounts. So, yes, I'll stick with what I said above and the next time you feel the need to call somebody dishonest you had better be correct.

The Titleist 910 fairways, at $249 in 2010 when they came out, would be $287 in today's dollars, just google up a CPI inflation calculator. The new Titleist TS2 fairways that just came out are $299 (plus you can grab Ebates at 4 or 5% at places like Carlsgolfland). So technically, there really isn't a huge difference there.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I am. It wasn't that long ago when drivers were $299, woods were $249, iron sets were $699 and wedges were $99 or $119. Prices of new clubs blow me away.

I just feel like these types of statements are deliberately misleading. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find that golf club prices have been flat or negative once adjusted for inflation.

Some quick googling on just a few Callaway releases over the past 10+ years;

GBB - 2015 - $500

BBA - 2014 - $625

RFE - 2013 - $500

RF - 2012 - $500

FT Tour -2010 - $625

FTiq - 2008 - $625

Some random iron sets;

XHot Pro - 2012 - $1000

Diablo Forged - 2010 - $1250

Big Bertha - 2008 - $740

Big Bertha - 2006 - $960

Big Bertha Fusion - 2006 - $1280

And those numbers aren't adjusted. So new drivers being $500-600 doesn't seem alarming.

I wouldn't call misleading dishonesty as much as cherry picking data or anecdotal information.

That being said;

MP69---msrp $899.99 (2011)

R7 Superquad ---msrp $499.99 (2007)

R9 Supertri ---msrp $499.99 (2010)

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

Leave us not forget we had a depression recession for a minimum of 5 years since 2008 (some might say it's still going on) and the manufacturers are (somewhat) "catching up" ???

The 2010 G15, a "mainstream" driver, launched at MSRP $350 (so I guess the store price was about $300, yes ?). The G400, launched about a year ago, 2018, sold in the stores for $400.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X