2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

KJUS Dweight vs Dorian vs Diamond fleeces

Can anyone that has experience with all or multiple of these compare and contrast them? I want to order one and its hard to figure out without being able to touch them.The only thing I can really tell from the website is that the Dorian is a lot lighter and less warm than the Diamond, and that the Diamond isn't "windproof".

What's best for 55-60 degrees and windy?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have the dorian. And it is definitely just a windbreaker. Very thin, packable and works ok as a windbreaker. I wore it over some layers this fall and it did not block the wind like I hoped. Granted this was in 40 degree weather and 20 mph winds.

For 55-60 degrees it may be perfect for you with a long sleeve underneath. It does stretch very well and doesn’t feel like you are wearing anything. There are vents under the arms that regulate temps pretty well.

I think if I were to buy another one out of the others you listed it would be a dweight since it is insulated and windproof.

Another option would be go with a light weight windproof shell and buy a decent thermal layer for underneath. I have the dexter rain jacket that blocks the wind very well and is waterproof. Wore it in Ireland and got absolutely pissed on and stayed dry and warm. I know GG has a lightweight windproof shell that may be a good option as well. Bonus is that they weigh next to nothing and pack well.

I bought a Dorian and sent it back because i did not think it added anything to the arsenal. Super thin and had a ton of stretch but it just wasn't a layer i would use. If it is chilly out i would just wear a regular pullover(lately Ive been into PING)/whatever brand light fleece or a wind proof pullover. I agree with the above poster that it did not block the wind well.

if you got something like the dexter as mentioned above, it would block wind and be waterproof. I use a ping zero gravity on occasion for a thin windproof garment and it is also waterproof.

The 55-60 degree range can be tricky for me as well. Depending on the wind, how much sun, etc, it may be short sleeves only, short sleeves with a pullover that is just thick enough to keep the chill down and not be too hot, or, if its overcast and really howling, a full blown windproof (i have a proquip tour flex cyclone i bought from amazon for less than $40) with a thin base layer underneath.

I dont know anything about the other 2 KJUS products you asked about but from their descriptions the dweight is windproof and the diamond fleece is the standard fleece that is breathable but warm yet light weight.

For me, there are certainly times when I prefer a true windproof vs a fleece that will wick/breath and provide warmth and vice versa. You might want to buy both of those and see which you would prefer. You may end up keeping both because the diamond would probably make for a good mid layer under a rain shirt if needed. The Dorian is just paper thin and you can almost see through it

One thing to ad- the Dorian i bought came from sierra trading post, so I dont know if it is the same quality as the ones sold from KJUS directly. I know they sell some Kjus rain gear on sierra that has a different membrane than the good toray membrane that KJUS site has, so maybe the dorian I bought was a lesser quality garment

I have both the Diamond and Dweight. Love them both but they are very different. Ordered the Dorian but sent it back. As mentioned, it didn't add much to my lineup.

For wind, the Dweight is fantastic. Blocks the wind really well and is warm for how thin it is. I wear it as an out layer from low 40s to mid 50s. No hand pockets would be my only complaint.

The Diamond is great too. Very warm and breathes well. However, it does not block the wind like the Dweight. It has pockets.

Both are flexible and don't impede your swing. Big fan of both pieces.

Dweight is what most consider a typical weighted soft shell, windoroof and fairly stretchy. Like all Kjus it’s very light, but not as light as Dorian. The Dorian is literally paper thin and all stretch while being windproof. The diamond is a fleece, warm but not windproof. I have a diamond and a Dorian but returned the dweight as it overlapped too much and lacks hand pockets (Dorian has them). Dweight has some awkward back of waist pocket.

Per talking the Kjus... the Dorian is for warmer windy conditions while the dweight is for overall chilly conditions. Diamond is a great layer under waterproofs or a sweater type piece on cool days. I like my Dorian.

Dweight is what most consider a typical weighted soft shell, windoroof and fairly stretchy. Like all Kjus it’s very light, but not as light as Dorian. The Dorian is literally paper thin and all stretch while being windproof. The diamond is a fleece, warm but not windproof. I have a diamond and a Dorian but returned the dweight as it overlapped too much and lacks hand pockets (Dorian has them). Dweight has some awkward back of waist pocket.

Per talking the Kjus... the Dorian is for warmer windy conditions while the dweight is for overall chilly conditions. Diamond is a great layer under waterproofs or a sweater type piece on cool days. I like my Dorian.

Thanks!

What’s the benefit of a windproof jacket in warm weather? I always thought the purpose was to protect against windchill.

Dweight is what most consider a typical weighted soft shell, windoroof and fairly stretchy. Like all Kjus it's very light, but not as light as Dorian. The Dorian is literally paper thin and all stretch while being windproof. The diamond is a fleece, warm but not windproof. I have a diamond and a Dorian but returned the dweight as it overlapped too much and lacks hand pockets (Dorian has them). Dweight has some awkward back of waist pocket.

Thanks!

What's the benefit of a windproof jacket in warm weather? I always thought the purpose was to protect against windchill.

It's still good in colder temps, thats why i bought it. I think they describe it as such due to material. The Dweight has a slight fuzzy feel inside and is a little thicker than Dorian. The dorian packs up really small so I don't hesitate to bring it and throw on over a sweater or diamond fleece. The hand pockets keep my hands warmer from windchill. It's just a very thin fabric, so would offer no other insulation to it. I will add that it's windproofness can heat you up when walking sometimes, as it only breathes as well as gore tex.

I have a Dweight, two Dorians and two Diamond Fleece, all in half zip form.

The Dweight is a heavier version of a windstopper than the Dorian, an outer shell, all are water resistant.

The Diamond Fleece is a midlayer a very warm one.

When it’s cold I wear the Dweight or Dorian over a Diamond Fleece, works well. When it’s really cold I wear a vest in between the two layers and it’s great. Yesterday I wore a Nike baselayer, a Diamond Fleece, a padded vest and the Dweight outside. It was 2*C here and I was plenty warm enough. Those 4 layers also didn’t impede my swing at all.

The Dweight is a very nice piece of kit, they all are actually.

I have a Dweight, two Dorians and two Diamond Fleece, all in half zip form.

The Dweight is a heavier version of a windstopper than the Dorian, an outer shell, all are water resistant.

The Diamond Fleece is a midlayer a very warm one.

When it’s cold I wear the Dweight or Dorian over a Diamond Fleece, works well. When it’s really cold I wear a vest in between the two layers and it’s great. Yesterday I wore a Nike baselayer, a Diamond Fleece, a padded vest and the Dweight outside. It was 2*C here and I was plenty warm enough. Those 4 layers also didn’t impede my swing at all.

The Dweight is a very nice piece of kit, they all are actually.

Very informative.

What temperatures would you feel comfortable just wearing the Dweight plus a polo in? Same question for the Diamond.

The Dweight plus a polo down to about 55F.

The DF plus a polo to about 50F.

A polo plus DF plus Dweight about 40F.

A baselayer, plus DF, plus vest plus Dweight to freezing.

They do different jobs, the Dweight is a shell layer like a Galvin Green Lance Interface, the DF is like a Galvin Green Insula (Dwayne) or a Nike Therma-Fit. The Dorian is a pack-away windproof for your golf bag. The latter isn’t a warm layer at all, but works on a warmer windy day to stop windchill.

Whilst I wear the Dorian in a UK winter it’ll only be with a couple of layers underneath, similar with the Dweight although that is thicker. As I stated before the Dweight is a very nice piece of kit, I was wowed when I took it out of the bag for the first time, more so than the Dorian which is very thin indeed, but both are best used with an Insula-style jumper underneath.

One thing I will counter, as someone above has posted, the Dweight is NOT insulated. It’s a shell windproof.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you.

Now just need to decide if I'd rather have the windproof or that little bit of extra warmth.

Get the Dweight. Wear it over a polo, or if it’s colder wear any jumper of half-zip underneath it as a midlayer.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with the Radiation jacket or vest? Haven’t seen it discussed on here

I’ve literally just picked up a Radiation Jacket this morning. It’s very nice. I got a 52 so I could wear up to three layers underneath and it’ll do that, or it’ll look great over just one layer. It’s very stretchy, yet fitted. I won’t get to test it on course until next Monday, but looking forward to it. (5’10, 42” chest, 34” waist).

It’s only very light padding, a little lighter than I expected. Monday I’ll probably wear a baselayer and a 1/4 zip underneath to see how I get on. It’s not much more than freezing here at the moment in London so it’ll be a perfect test.

Certainly with the black one I could wear it out to a pub too, probably somewhat less so with some of the other colours.

Struggling to get a better shot as haven’t got Mr Tickle length arms.

This also fits underneath a Dexter should it be cold and pouring with rain. I would think it’s perfect for activity in the cold like golf, but not heavy enough for just standing around in freezing temperatures, you’d want something thicker for that, like the Blackcomb down jacket, the Blackcomb however isn’t suitable for golf, too padded to swing freely.

I think the diamond is a better piece. Or I tend to wear it much more than my dweight one. I agree on the dorian, it is just too thin and returned mine as well.

Agree and disagree, because they do different jobs.

Summer - polo

Early Autumn - polo and Diamond Fleece, or polo and Dorian if just windy

Late Autumn - baselayer, DF and either Dorian or Dweight

Winter - baselayer, DF and Dweight

Coldest winter - baselayer, DF and Radiation Jacket Or baselayer, DF, vest and Dweight

And reverse as you get into spring. If raining persistently then swap the Dweight for a Dexter.

I keep a Dorian and a Dexter in my bag for wind and rain.

If it’s absolutely hammering down with rain then I use my Pro 3L, although have used the Dexter in some huge downpours without any problems. The Pro 3L isn’t strictly necessary unless you live somewhere where you get monsoon-style rain regularly, but is also breathable enough to wear as a wind layer when it’s not raining or spitting if you like, I have a few times but on balance prefer the Dweight (or a Galvin Green Lance) generally.

But yes, the DF gets the most use in the above scenarios, but if really cold, wet or windy I don’t use it as an outer layer. The Dweight and Dorian are water repellent and windproof, the DF isn’t.

Anyone have experience with the Radiation jacket or vest? Haven’t seen it discussed on here

Wore the Radiation Jacket today over a Galvin Green Dwayne Insula and a Nike Dri-Fit baselayer.

It was 5C/41F, raining on and off lightly with a reasonable breeze.

Not cold at all. I did start with a Dexter over the top of those 3 layers but took it off on 3rd hole as I was too hot.

It’s uber comfortable too.

Have also worn it a few times around town over the past few days, a nice piece.