Beginner frustrated with golf. Any advice?

Temple90

What I often do is count "good shots" regardless of score. A good shot can mean all kinds of things, but IMO for beginners it's a shot you hit decently towards your intended target. It can be any shot...even putts. I suggest keeping track of good shots and see your progress. The nice part about this is you can still shoot 104, but maybe you had 30% good shots vs. 25% shooting 99 the last round. There's always good shots with bad outcomes...count those. If you strike the ball well on a par 3 but miss the green, count the well-struck ball as a good shot. Don't penalize yourself with the score.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Beginner frustrated with golf"? LOL. You could really put "Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced/Pro frustrated at golf (Please circle one)" and you cover pretty much anyone who has ever played this game.

Golf is endlessly complicated and difficult, requiring the player to use almost every muscle in their body with microsecond timing, most shots played from varying conditions in varying weather. It is a difficult game, and one that vexes even the world's best athletes. Think of this for a moment: No one has every heard of golf before, and someone told you that you are going to hit a tiny ball with a 3 to 4 foot long stick and in only 4 or sometimes 3 swings of that stick you'll knock that ball into a tiny hole in the ground a quarter mile away. You'd say that's impossible - no one could ever do that! Yet almost every one of us has, at some point, played shots that equal the best in the world and accomplished that impossible task. And the best in the world have all played shots about as bad as ours at times. That's what makes this such a great game. It constantly changes and challenges us, and we will never conquer it but we can occasionally sniff at perfection when playing it.

I think you'll find that if you shift your attitude about learning and playing the game to one where you embrace and enjoy the process of learning and getting better instead of trying to focus so much on the outcome, especially as a beginner, you'll enjoy the game much more. Probably most of us have been down the rabbit hole of focusing so much on the result and our bad shots, and when one instead enjoys the process of incremental improvement (even with the occasional step backwards), the game rewards one in ways that are tough to describe to non-golfer. Enjoy the journey more than the destination.

I have attempted to start playing golf for the last three years and have just started taking it more seriously this past summer. I have been going to the driving range and taking lessons with a course pro.

So far I have taken six lessons and I feel like my progress has been very slow. I understand that it will not be linear, but at times I feel like I am barely making any progress. For example, some lessons I am hitting awesome balls with minor form mistakes, but when I go to the range I can't hit a single ball well.

So far i am only practicing with irons and find that I am struggling significantly with the longer irons.

To add I have prior back issues (herniation) so my lower back is very tight. Makes for some discomfort during the swing, but never any pain.

Anyone have any advice? I want to continue going, but it is discouraging feeling like I am not getting anywhere with it.

Learn to make good contact with a chip. Even if it's in the garden. Then progress to a longer chip, a pitch etc.

Trying to stripe a 5 iron before you can hit a clean pitch is just going to be painful.

And if you're coach hasn't improved you in 6 weeks, I'd get another, or just watch youtube videos etc.

For example, some lessons I am hitting awesome balls with minor form mistakes, but when I go to the range I can't hit a single ball well.

That’s golf for ya! (You’ll kinda get used to it. Rather, you’ll accept that it will happen)

So far i am only practicing with irons and find that I am struggling significantly with the longer irons.

Sounds like you need to bring only 1 club with you to practice and it should be a PW or a 9 iron. Practice with that 1 club until you develop a consistent swing that finds the center of the face. Once you feel comfortable with that 1 club, move on to the next or skip 1 ahead. So go from PW to 8 iron and same thing. Work the next club like you did the last then move on.

It’ll take time. Months probably of consistent, constructive practice before you’re able to hit the whole bag with some level of consistency. But don’t get too discouraged if you can’t get to the long irons. They’re generally the hardest clubs for most ams to hit. If I were just starting out like you all over again, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t even bag anything over a 6i until you’re scoring in the low-mid 90s with regularity. Then move onto a 5 when you’re in the high 80s. Then a 4. But for the most part, you’re probably better off with hybrids by this point. The game is hard enough as it is.

Anyone have any advice? I want to continue going, but it is discouraging feeling like I am not getting anywhere with it.

Well like others have said, it takes time and practice. Lots of time and practice. And lessons and study. In the early stages of learning it’s important to have a good eye watching you swing because if you don’t, you’ll probably discover some bad habits like flipping to get the ball in the air. Also video your swing frequently and compare it to swings you see of pros on YouTube. You don’t have to emulate a swing perfectly, but it’s good way to measure set up, swing plane, impact positions, shoulder turn.

But really it just takes time. And honestly, golf is probably one of the most difficult sports to learn. I’ve been playing probably 30 years now, and it can still be incredibly frustrating. You just can’t give in and give up. You’ll have your ups and downs, but I think for most golfers it’s more about the journey than the destination.

find a good teacher in your area...stick with them. It will save you wasted time and money if you consider you will be playing for life.

This coming from a self taught player who was once a +1

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• 1 month later...

I have not vanished! I have been practicing and really appreciate all of the comments. My biggest issue was that I was swinging down on the ball (too steep) instead of through the ball.

I was on the fence of too steep vs okay downswing and had days where I could hit some decent shots and other days where I topped the ball hit off the toe or completely missed. Since practicing shallowing out my downswing I have been able to hit some better shots, but it is by far the hardest part of golf for me.

What I do now is practice on my patio with soft balls and a turf piece.

I am about 4 months and 9 lessons in. I'm sticking with it!

Change your Mindset or else you will never be happy. Yes it is a frustrating game and will not come overnight. Stick with it. I would say hit up you tube and get your short game as solid as it can be while you are building your full swing. There are enough great instructors of the short game that if you work on that half of the game on your own, you are cutting your learning time by days and weeks. Keep going.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Your swing will eventually sort itself out. It took me a year but I wasn't as assiduous as you sound about practising, plus I didn't bother with many lessons at first and tried to tough it out on my own. I remember the grief of not being able to make decent contact with the ball reliably and it wasn't fun.

Of course there's still a big gap between where I am now (nearly always make good contact with the ball) and where I'd like to be (the ball usually goes roughly where I intend it to) but when you can reliably get the ball off the ground and a useful distance away from where it was the game becomes more fun. It can still be frustrating but I think at that point you're past the worst of it. I just keep reminding myself that golf is going to be my retirement hobby so I don't want to have it all worked out too soon. Need to have something to work on over the remaining decades of my life :)

I have attempted to start playing golf for the last three years and have just started taking it more seriously this past summer. I have been going to the driving range and taking lessons with a course pro.

So far I have taken six lessons and I feel like my progress has been very slow. I understand that it will not be linear, but at times I feel like I am barely making any progress. For example, some lessons I am hitting awesome balls with minor form mistakes, but when I go to the range I can't hit a single ball well.

To add I have prior back issues (herniation) so my lower back is very tight. Makes for some discomfort during the swing, but never any pain.

Are you really not making any progress? Or just not as quickly as you feel you are capable of?

Some of the toughest students I’ve had are people who played really well, and left the game to work or raise families. They come back and it’s still very prominent in their mind how good they WERE, not who they are today. If you can start every week trying to improve from where you honestly are, and improve from there, even in small increments, you are making progress.

Sometimes improvement can simply be understanding something better, and will not show immediate results

In a nutshell,mthe game sucks, it’s hard, frustrating, and rarely makes sense........it’s why so many love it!, and drink after they play!

Remember this fact, golf is hard.

Have to set realistic goals, based on your commitment to improvement and what you want out of the game.

When starting out, it's easiest to improve. The better you get (lower your handicap) the harder it is to shave strokes.

The average male handicap is something like 17, with less than 20% (going off memory, so might not be spot on) being single digit handicaps, so give yourself some time....then again, there's always TopGolf if run out of patience.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Thanks for the advice. I went in for another lesson and am finally starting to make progress on flattening out my downswing. I was swinging from outside in so there would be some good swings followed by slices and completely missing the ball.

What I am focusing on now is keeping my back elbow tight to my body during downswing and keeping it from internally rotating. When it internally rotates I come down on the ball. I was able to hit about 35/50 balls much better after focusing on the rear elbow. I think that is making me shallow out my swing and also hit from the inside.

Now to keep practicing and improve on that.

As a beginner (and actually at pretty much any level), consider doing one arm swings, both righty and lefty. Short, only need to go back to club shaft parallel. Trains what the arms/body/shoulders should do in the release.

After hitting the ball can put other arm on club and both should be straight. Can do them supported at first - example, gently hold your trail elbow with your lead hand.

Here's one example of just right arm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmeUQ_UFZMw/

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

3 years is nothing. Most people see real improvements after 5 years. It’s all in the swing. Once you get a decent swing, your scores will drop right away. At the very least, you will at least feel like you’re playing golf as opposed to paddling the ball down the fairways.

Keep working on your swing and swing speed. The longer you hold off improving your swing the longer it will take for you to improve.

• 4 weeks later...

I have taken about 7 lessons and I can barely make contact with the ball anymore and every time I do make contact it is off the very toe of the club.

I know what i'm doing wrong, but can stop doing it wrong. I am also having a hard time slowing down my swing. If I get a full back swing it is hard to slow down my swing.

In an attempt to try to hit from center of face of club, I also started topping the ball, so now I have two issues to fix.

All of these issues stem from the fact that I am pulling down and across through the ball so my arms are closer to my body and club face is further from ball then when I started.

At least now I understand exactly what I am doing wrong so that I can focus on correcting it.

I have taken about 7 lessons and I can barely make contact with the ball anymore and every time I do make contact it is off the very toe of the club.

I know what i'm doing wrong, but can stop doing it wrong. I am also having a hard time slowing down my swing. If I get a full back swing it is hard to slow down my swing.

In an attempt to try to hit from center of face of club, I also started topping the ball, so now I have two issues to fix.

All of these issues stem from the fact that I am pulling down and across through the ball so my arms are closer to my body and club face is further from ball then when I started.

At least now I understand exactly what I am doing wrong so that I can focus on correcting it.

Are you working on any golf related fitness by chance? Perhaps your body struggles to stay in Posistion

When you say you know what you're doing wrong, is that your analysis or your instructor?

Going from toe strikes to thin shots suggest it's a posture thing, not a "arms too close to the body" thing. That would be easy to test by simply standing slightly closer.

Toe shots can be caused by standing too far away or an out to in swing, but early extension or raising the handle on the downswing are more common.

Work on impact with smaller swings. Get a solid setup position (check everything). Don't slow down a full swing, smoothly accelerate a partial swing. Work on it until you find the center again. Then slowly add length.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Did you ever say with whom you're taking lessons?

I am taking lessons with a course pro. They seem to be helping, but I think I am just overthinking each swing at this point.

Are you working on any golf related fitness by chance? Perhaps your body struggles to stay in Posistion

I am really into fitness and do a lot of woodchoppers and similar exercises that translate over into a golf swing. I do have a tight lower back which can cause issues.

When you say you know what you're doing wrong, is that your analysis or your instructor?

Going from toe strikes to thin shots suggest it's a posture thing, not a "arms too close to the body" thing. That would be easy to test by simply standing slightly closer.

Toe shots can be caused by standing too far away or an out to in swing, but early extension or raising the handle on the downswing are more common.

Work on impact with smaller swings. Get a solid setup position (check everything). Don't slow down a full swing, smoothly accelerate a partial swing. Work on it until you find the center again. Then slowly add length.

Thank you for the advice. My problem is an in to out downswing which leads to my hands being significantly closer to my body on the downswing then when I set up behind the ball. Sorry if I worded that confusingly. In an attempt to fix that issues I developed other issues like topping the ball. Hoping to get both of these issues taken care of.

My experience with course pros is that teaching is secondary to running the course/pro shop. Maybe 7 lessons in and frustrated says to consider changing instructors.

Mark Sheftic is in the Philly area - teaches out of Merion in Ardmore. I really recommend him. He is the teaching pro and that is his focus - instruction. Along with his father, Ted,

they have developed and sell the pressure board - he is coming out with a junior version in the near future and is now testing prototypes.

Here is his website and you can see some of his video on the pressure board under that tab. http://myteachingpro.com/marksheftic/Home.aspx

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I am taking lessons with a course pro. They seem to be helping, but I think I am just overthinking each swing at this point.

You've said that already. Do you just not want to reveal his name or something?

Like glk said, Sheftic is fantastic. Your guy may be fantastic, too -- it's just that no one can say, because we don't know who it is.