2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

An hour on launch monitor, how much should it cost?

CAT GOLFER

I have a question, just want to gauge what other people think on the matter. Let's say you have access to a decent launch monitor [Trackman, Flightscope, GC4,etc], how much should an hour's worth of time be?

Just you, a bucket of balls, and the monitor. You get the printout after for all shots.

How about with a knowledgeable individual "helping" to decifer the data? [not teaching or instructing, just a summary]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pay $40/hr, which seems like a lot, but I only use it a dozen or so times over the winter. It would cost me $5k or so to build an acceptable system at home, which equates to 125 hours of simulator time and would take several years to justify the cost. Nonetheless, I'd sure like to build one. Looks like a fun project.

I wish a place near me would have this option. I don't really want to rent out the simulator at Golf Galaxy or Dicks for an hour and have people around nonstop.

A golf dome does have Trackman, but they only allow access to it when getting fitted for something there. I've asked if I could just rent it out at times they didn't have fittings scheduled and they weren't open to it.

I have a question, just want to gauge what other people think on the matter. Let's say you have access to a decent launch monitor [Trackman, Flightscope, GC4,etc], how much should an hour's worth of time be?

Just you, a bucket of balls, and the monitor. You get the printout after for all shots.

How about with a knowledgeable individual "helping" to decifer the data? [not teaching or instructing, just a summary]

Depends where you live I'd imagine, but here in NJ it's roughly $35-$45.

A friend and I have floated this as a business plan. Curious to hear others' accounts of their local market.

Interesting that the rates are similar regardless of the LM yet the monitors vary largely. I'd like to buy a Trackman as we would use it for outside fittings in the summer, but hard to justify the added expense.

25/hr at golf town to use their sim (gc2), it was 14.99 in the summer lol, winter rates extra 10 per hour. No option for course sim just range time..... don't think you can get any print out of data. I've only gone once recently with my buddy to write down some yardages, we've been hitting a ton of balls in his garage against and tarp/blanket hanging which feels awesome, but ya don't really know the result of the shot haha just nice to hit balls and practise good contact.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

Correction to my previous post, the location as of this week does offer rentals of their trackman simulator. $50 for 30 minutes, $75 for an hour. Seems kind of high, no?

Wow!! That’s a kick in the crotch. Not a chance to get that out of me.

Check out this place near me. I guess I should consider myself lucky....but as I said before, sim just doesn’t excite me. I’ve got a range with heated covered stalls 20 minutes away that’s open year round. 175 balls for $15 keeps me busy for 3 hours. Unless its in the teens that’s where I’m going to be a couple times a week.

We also have a top golf that’s $15 for unlimited play from 9-noon weekdays for those that can fit that in their schedule.

Here’s that indoor simulator place. A year ago they started at $40 an hour and have since slashed that to $25 an hour, so that tells you a great deal about demand and pricing potential. I went in last year a week after they opened and I told them I thought $40 an hour was a lot to ask of people. I thought the place was very nice but I was worried about their business model. They spent a huge amount of money buying all their equipment and renovating the space. It’s in the lower floor of a large office building in northwest Columbus.

https://www.golfattherange.com/

Where I live one of the local ranges has a TM4 that they use for fittings but have now set up a bay and allow you to use it hourly. The initial approach was $25 for the first time, then $50 for the subsequent rentals but since the late fall they have been running the $25/hr special. This place includes the balls so thats a $12 spiff. The data goes straight to mytrackman so you can view and manipulate it all you want. I’ve used it 4 or 5 times mainly for confirming gapping and testing drivers and shafts. I’ve done some iron shaft head demo work as well. The only thing I’d love to see in addition is the ball impact data and the dynamic lie angle. I think that is an upgrade that I doubt they will buy.

I’ve seen their sign outside advertising a simulator league as well.

A friend and I have floated this as a business plan. Curious to hear others' accounts of their local market.

Interesting that the rates are similar regardless of the LM yet the monitors vary largely. I'd like to buy a Trackman as we would use it for outside fittings in the summer, but hard to justify the added expense.

Probably depends on where you live. If you live in a very urban area and you have the cash on hand or you can find a business partner, I'm sure it's fairly lucrative. Doubt you'd get rich but I'm sure it's a fairly easy business to run.

Figure $20k for a GCQ/TM4 machine and software (estimation.. could be more) times how ever many you can fit in the space plus your rent, insurance, utilities, etc. Most places I've seen have 2-4 "bays".

I'm a member at a public indoor hitting bay club. There's 4 bays with Trackman and a little putting green. Membership is $150 start up plus $75 a month for 2 one hour sessions. Any sessions after your 2 per month at $35 an hour. Non members pay something like $75 an hour though. Say you have 100 members plus 30 random's per month... that's almost 10k a month of revenue.

I see it more as something to do if you're retired and you're a bit bored and want some side money. After all your expenses and paying a few kids to run the place, you probably only make a few grand per month off something like above.

Correction to my previous post, the location as of this week does offer rentals of their trackman simulator. $50 for 30 minutes, $75 for an hour. Seems kind of high, no?

Check out this place near me. I guess I should consider myself lucky....but as I said before, sim just doesn’t excite me. I’ve got a range with heated covered stalls 20 minutes away that’s open year round. 175 balls for $15 keeps me busy for 3 hours. Unless its in the teens that’s where I’m going to be a couple times a week.

We also have a top golf that’s $15 for unlimited play from 9-noon weekdays for those that can fit that in their schedule.

Here’s that indoor simulator place. A year ago they started at $40 an hour and have since slashed that to $25 an hour, so that tells you a great deal about demand and pricing potential. I went in last year a week after they opened and I told them I thought $40 an hour was a lot to ask of people. I thought the place was very nice but I was worried about their business model. They spent a huge amount of money buying all their equipment and renovating the space. It’s in the lower floor of a large office building in northwest Columbus.

Need these people to come to Buffalo. There's a pretty sizable golfing market here, but this is the only place with a Trackman or GC2 outside of the Golf Galaxy which again is just kind of awkward with everyone walking around and watching.

The only other option are simulators at the other golf dome, but not sure how accurate they are and it's completely in the dark so not the most beneficial environment

I can second this place. I've been there a few times this year and it's awesome. There's roughly 6 bays available for regular users, and like 4 that they have dedicated for juniors.

They have a decent sized putting green as well.

I've been there twice and it's been packed every time.

I used trackman both times and the data gets sent to MyTrackman account. The last time I was in there I used part of my hour to do the Trackman combine and really enjoyed doing that.

Oooooo...that's 5 minutes from my house. I thought they were a 100% membership-based model, so I never really looked into it more. I was using the Golf Room last winter (Trackman was $30/hour but that was by the hour and not by person), and now it looks like they've gone up to $40/hour. So it looks like I now have options; if I want to practice by myself or share with another person or 2, that'll determine where to go. Funny that these 2 places (and then Golftec on top of that) are within about a 1 min drive of each other. Thanks for pointing this out...

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 10' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15' - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5
Taylormade SIM 3H - GD AD-DI 8x
Ping i(e1) 4-PW - Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 7

I live in the Pittsburgh area. As far as I'm aware, these are the only simulator options we have:

3Trak simulator - $48 per hour

FullSwing Golf e6 simulator - $36 per hour

Trackman - $42 per hour

I have no idea what those first two simulators are or how accurate they may be. Golf Galaxy has a GC Quad, but I have no idea how you go about reserving those. In fact, I'm not even sure you can? There's also a Golftec and a Club Champion in the area, but as far as I know you can't just rent out their simulators.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

Need these people to come to Buffalo. There's a pretty sizable golfing market here, but this is the only place with a Trackman or GC2 outside of the Golf Galaxy which again is just kind of awkward with everyone walking around and watching.

The only other option are simulators at the other golf dome, but not sure how accurate they are and it's completely in the dark so not the most beneficial environment

I do think if your rent was reasonable, or if you outright owned a space, the business model could definitely work. It is even more doable the farther north you get. The colder and snowier the locaation, , the more demand from the local golfer trying to get through the winter, and more importantly, the longer the period of crappy weather.

If I lived in Minnesota, Canada, Buffalo, northern Michigan, I would seriously consider opening a place like this. One big hurdle in my mind is what about the summer?

When the guys near me opened they wanted a minimum 6 month membership commitment. $180 a month for one level, $240 a month for the “top level”. I told them I was interested but there was no possible way I’m hitting balls indoors when the weather is nice. Membership was out of the question for me.

Now that hourly is an option at a very reasonable rate, I’ll use the place. Obviously only members are getting on the monitors between 5 pm and closing since they can reserve time in advance. I’m sure a lot of members that work nearby probably pop in once or twice a week after work. They probably have regular “tee times” set up.

Like any semi-seasonal business, if you can figure out how to absorb the start up costs and get through the slow months, I’m sure it could be a nice business. I heard the initial investment for the place was well north of $500,000. $50,000 per stall X 6 = $300,000. 4 trackmen = $80,000. Then the labor and materials to convert the overall space $100,000+. 1/2 a million used up in a flash. I’m guessing since I’ve done stuff like this before, it was very likely higher than $500k in the end.

Edit...although I would guess the GCQuads are almost certainly financed. Maybe the trackmen as well. The owners I’m sure had lots of creative financing involved to make this happen. They surely didn’t just throw half a million bucks cash into the venture.

I actually have done this business plan myself. The result is very depressing. @ $35/hr, running 6 bays, you'll need an avg 60% utilization rate to just break even. It is really only doable in densely populated areas if you can score a cheap location.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

I actually have done this business plan myself. The result is very depressing. @ $35/hr, running 6 bays, you'll need an avg 60% utilization rate to just break even. It is really only doable in densely populated areas if you can score a cheap location.

Absolutely the trifecta needed. . High usage, cheap overhead, get through the summer.

I live in the Pittsburgh area. As far as I'm aware, these are the only simulator options we have:

3Trak simulator - $48 per hour

FullSwing Golf e6 simulator - $36 per hour

Trackman - $42 per hour

I have no idea what those first two simulators are or how accurate they may be. Golf Galaxy has a GC Quad, but I have no idea how you go about reserving those. In fact, I'm not even sure you can? There's also a Golftec and a Club Champion in the area, but as far as I know you can't just rent out their simulators.

Cool Springs in Bethel Park have simulators available for $48 an hour.

If anyone is in the Austin, TX area, this place is fantastic: http://www.rokgolf.com/how-to-rok.html

5 Trackmans, and a GC Quad. Good dudes, BYOB and food.

Could you please change your Avatar? It’s cruel to display such fine brisket to so many that can’t get their hands on anything like that! ; )

where can I find this deal bay area CA lol

everyones charging $150+ hour, and you need to be supervised

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Here in Salt Lake City, we have a place that charges $40/hr if you are coming in off the street. They have various membership plans, with the basic being $50 per month for 1 hour of access per day. Downside is that they only have the old school aboutGolf simulators that used to be in the Golfsmiths and Golf Galaxys circa 2010.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

In Jacksonville on a TM4 its $40/hour before 4pm, $50/hour after.

Coastal Indoor Golf, FTW! And you can do 30 minute increments too, if you're just interested in dialing in a single club like a driver.

I reached out to a couple of people with TrackMan 4s in town and they either didn't get back to me or wanted to sell me lessons, so I was thrilled when Coastal opened.

And they're running a 17-week indoor league right now where the winner gets a trip to Pinehurst no. 2 with a buddy on a private plane. IIRC the league was under $400 and is still open for entrants.