Jon Rahm the villain?

WKYTrooper

People, media, podcasts, etc... all talk about how golf needs villains. I don't know if golf NEEDS them but the past little bit has fueled some for sure. The latest was Patrick Reed after the Masters win.

I personally CANNOT stand Jon Rahm. I think he's very talented but SOOOOOOO overhyped by all of the golf media. They want him to be the next generation and his whole demeanor crawls all over me. He complains about almost every shot. This is followed by temper tantrums right there on the green. This has spanned to the point he has been very rude and aggressive with cameramen on course. Like....they literally have one job, buddy. To record you. This has happened several times and then just two weeks ago, after a poor tee shot on a par 3 at the Farmers, he literally hurled his club down 10 yards toward the tee box. The guy is a ticking time bomb and if you need a villain to cheer against.....I've got mine.

What are your feelings? Am I alone?

G400 9* 
Titleist 16*
Titleist 20*

ZX7
Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
Spider X

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Rahm's not over-hyped. He's really good. And his results prove that.

It is funny how certain players bother people and not others. Rahm doesn't bother me at all, whereas I find Spieth nauseating (the constant commentary and complaining after every [bad] shot). But I know there are lots of people that aren't bothered by Spieth.

Judging from what I read on these forums I would say more are against this guy than for him so I guess that could make him a villain. I can see why his reaction to his shots rubs people the wrong way but it is almost always self directed with the exception of one shot at the Desert Classic where he got upset with a camera man. I like him but as with most golfers these days am dissapointed that he is unable to finish off tournaments. If he gets in a position to win all of a sudden drives start missing the fairways and putts start missing the holes. And he is definitely not Seve around the greens which really irks me when announcers bring that up. He is most likely influenced by Seve but his short game is nowhere near what Seves was.

Rahm is a good golfer, I fear his career will be hampered by his temper and poor attitude much like Sergio's was. I have no problem with a golfer showing emotion but they need to be able to have a little outburst and move on to the next hole. It appears Rahm is like Sergio and that temper builds over a round, he doesn't seem very good at moving forward.

As for being a villain, the better word might be heel but even that isn't applicable with Rahm. He seems like a good guy who just needs to mature a bit and learn to either better manage his temper or learn to use it to help him play better not worse.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

People, media, podcasts, etc... all talk about how golf needs villains. I don't know if golf NEEDS them but the past little bit has fueled some for sure. The latest was Patrick Reed after the Masters win.

I personally CANNOT stand Jon Rahm. I think he's very talented but SOOOOOOO overhyped by all of the golf media. They want him to be the next generation and his whole demeanor crawls all over me. He complains about almost every shot. This is followed by temper tantrums right there on the green. This has spanned to the point he has been very rude and aggressive with cameramen on course. Like....they literally have one job, buddy. To record you. This has happened several times and then just two weeks ago, after a poor tee shot on a par 3 at the Farmers, he literally hurled his club down 10 yards toward the tee box. The guy is a ticking time bomb and if you need a villain to cheer against.....I've got mine.

What are your feelings? Am I alone?

You're not alone.

He's ambiguously husky.

He did show the other side of the emotional coin at the Ryder Cup. A bit overdone as beating a worn out Tiger is no big deal, but at least he is not all fire.

I can see how some people are annoyed. As high as his ranking is, he doesn't win enough to justify the tantrums. It would be hilarious if the microphone would catch a playing partner saying "you are not good enough to hit that shot" after one of his flubs.

But he is good and can hit the ball a ton. Sets up well for the courses that allow bomb and gouge. I still don't think he will win a major which makes him right up there to carry the BPWAM trophy.

A year or so back, he put a ball into a hazard and a volunteer waved that he had found it. Rahm had to walk up to see if he could play it, but it was basically unplayable. Instead of a quick thanks, he gave the guy an exaggerated gesture of frustration and then basically said “Why’d you bring me up here for that? I can’t play that” and walked away in a huff.

It irked me. It’s not the volunteer’s job to determine his shot and he treated him like crap. Throw in the temper nonsense and he’s not a guy I root for.

I don’t buy the villain thing but he’s definitely got an immaturity problem.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I've had mine since Thanksgiving 2009.

Hey, Elin seems like a nice gal!

Rahm is an as$ hat!!!!!!!!!! Some people call him fiery, or passionate, etc...... he is a baby. He has more drama then 20 drunk sorority girls on spring brake. If I acted like that for more than say maybe 1 hole, I would not have anyone to play golf with.

He probably doesn't vomit that much though.

His on course tantrums are ridiculous and make me want to dislike him, but then I catch an interview and get a dose of his articulate and humble charm and I am torn.

This is more or less my take as well. I still don't like some of his on-course behavior (particularly having read that story above regarding the hazard and the volunteer), but I REALLY couldn't stand him before. What slightly changed my perception was his spot on Feherty. Along with being insightful and engaging in an interview setting, I was blown away by how he said he approached the English language. I don't remember word-for-word, but it was something to the extent of "it's not enough to just learn the words of the language, I wanted to be able to articulate effectively and pronounce words correctly....that's why I worked very hard at it". I really respect that.....also doesn't hurt that he's BFF's with Larry Fitzgerald. As a fellow Pitt guy who was at school at the same time as Larry, I'm a huge fan and therefore I'm giving Rahm a bump in cred based on association, haha

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

Okay, some of the villain takes are a little extreme. I don't think he's a bad guy. I don't know him and don't want to judge anyone without meeting them personally that way. Its the way he handles himself that pisses me off more than anything. His demeanor is immature and not professional. The story above about the volunteer is a perfect example. It makes me cheer against him....villain type view.

Also, my comment about him being overhyped was in reference to how the media was going bonkers in the past about him. Never did I mention him not being an amazing talent. His game is all around unbelievable with his main handicap probably being his attitude.

G400 9* 
Titleist 16*
Titleist 20*

ZX7
Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
Spider X

I don't see why people think of him as a villain. I like watching him play and want to see how his next few seasons turn out. He could be a major part of this new generation and maybe, for some of you, he just needs to mature a bit. I personally see no problem with his behavior based on what I've seen in coverage.

His on course tantrums are ridiculous and make me want to dislike him, but then I catch an interview and get a dose of his articulate and humble charm and I am torn.

This is more or less my take as well. I still don't like some of his on-course behavior (particularly having read that story above regarding the hazard and the volunteer), but I REALLY couldn't stand him before. What slightly changed my perception was his spot on Feherty. Along with being insightful and engaging in an interview setting, I was blown away by how he said he approached the English language. I don't remember word-for-word, but it was something to the extent of "it's not enough to just learn the words of the language, I wanted to be able to articulate effectively and pronounce words correctly....that's why I worked very hard at it". I really respect that.....also doesn't hurt that he's BFF's with Larry Fitzgerald. As a fellow Pitt guy who was at school at the same time as Larry, I'm a huge fan and therefore I'm giving Rahm a bump in cred based on association, haha

Similar views here. I'll also give him a bit of a break because he's young. His on course antics aren't great, but he does come across as a pretty good dude everywhere else.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

Negative. Lol. Sergio is a whole different beast. There have been more than one occasion when Rahm has had words with a camera man. Slamming clubs. Etc. Dude is a head case and it makes me pull against him. I hope he matures soon and (as other parts of his personality have) I become a fan. He's got game but I can't stand him.

G400 9* 
Titleist 16*
Titleist 20*

ZX7
Vokey 51*, 56*, 60*
Spider X

There’s something about quite a few Spanish golfers that I just cannot warm to. Surely it’s no coincidence that Seve, Garcia & Rahm play(ed) golf with massive chips on their shoulders. I think they underservedly get a free pass from a lot of people, when their behaviour at times is nothing short of embarrassing and petulant. Commentators excuse their obnoxiousness and call it “passion”.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag