So, I got a warning - Junior Tourney - Rule

We're playing in a local Tourney this weekend...and we're reading the green for my dude's putt.

I am several feet behind the ball and ballmarker...the ball is aligned close to its intended line and target...I'm squatting...and my dude is reading the break by looking over my shoulder.

I stay in the exact same squat I've been in...but...my dude breaks off and walks toward the ball. He is 18" away from the ball and he makes a practice swing. Mind you...I haven't said a damn thing since he broke away from me squatting and walked towards the ball.

I get up and walk to the side...he proceeds to putt.

About a minute later a rules official comes up to us and asks us to be careful so as to not cause a penalty.

This may sound silly...but I'm going to start taking the damned flagstick and circling the intended line on the green while he's already lined up. If he needs to readjust....fine. Then...I'll put the flagstick back in the hole afterwards. So much for speeding up the game.

I've said it before...and I'll say it again:

The new rule...as it's written...is one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen in Golf.

Wait...Dropping from knee high just phoned in and said "Hold my Beer".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid official he should have clearly seen the intent. I think maybe he seen you squatting and thought you were lining him up so he thought he needed to give a warning. In some kids tournaments lining up was out of hand.

Not sure how old your kid is but if there older then 9 and been playing a while try to caddie less. The sooner Kids learn play without a caddie the better. Last time I had to caddie for oldest which was in a US kids events. I just stood on the side of the green and watched. It was great the other parents were kind of shocked because she could do it all for herself.

If the official wasn't really close, he may not have had a great view, just saw the practice motion with you squatting. He may have seen the penalty originally assessed against McCarthy for a similar situation, except he was practicing pitching swings, and thought you were close to a similar situation. I think its completely appropriate to remind a player/caddie team of the rule, to minimize the chance of a later problem. Would you rather he follow you around and call a penalty later on, without a warning?

And really, is it all that complicated? Just move before your player gets anywhere close to the ball.

And really, is it all that complicated? Just move before your player gets anywhere close to the ball.

Is it really all that complicated?

Ask Li...or McCarthy...or hell...even go back and watch Fowler's caddie on #17 at the WM looking at his yardage book...then running to the side when Rickie moved.

Edit...Here you go. Ask yourself if it's all that complicated:

https://mobile.twitt...478669892218880

I get the notion that you step in and try to uphold all that is right within the rules.

What I don't get is how you can take a look at this rule as it's written...look at someone straight in the face...and say...'yeah...this rule is a good idea'.

In your scenario above...sure it's better to get a warning.

However, it doesn't make the rule any less stupid.

There's a really long thread about the rule, and whether its foolish, whether its clear, all of that. I'm not going to bring the same argument here. But it really is simple, the RBs wanted to outlaw a caddie helping with the physical alignment of their player. They chose to do it by simply expanding the time frame when the caddie could not be on the extended line of play. So yea, its simple, you have to move sooner.

There's a really long thread about the rule, and whether its foolish, whether its clear, all of that. I'm not going to bring the same argument here. But it really is simple, the RBs wanted to outlaw a caddie helping with the physical alignment of their player. They chose to do it by simply expanding the time frame when the caddie could not be on the extended line of play. So yea, its simple, you have to move sooner.

Agree 100% IMO it's just a little change in routine. In the case mentioned, when the player breaks and starts walking to the ball, the caddie gets up and off the line. It avoids any appearance of evil, and everybody is happy. I'm certain we will see an interpretation soon making it clearer. It will be interesting to see how the wording is updated.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Ask Li...or McCarthy...or hell...even go back and watch Fowler's caddie on #17 at the WM looking at his yardage book...then running to the side when Rickie moved.

I get the notion that you step in and try to uphold all that is right within the rules.

What I don't get is how you can take a look at this rule as it's written...look at someone straight in the face...and say...'yeah...this rule is a good idea'.

Does calling the rule stupid make you feel a lot smarter ?

After all, as mentioned, it's not even a NEW rule. It's just a small extension of the time you're not allowed to be there.

And your "circling the intended line on the green while he's already lined up" is smart ? And you complain about slow play in the same breath ? So you're getting penalized for slow play is OK but being penalized for being in the wrong place is "stupid" ?

I'd say you can't make this stuff up but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

is so simple the pga has basically suspended the rule its flat out stupid. I've told my kid to not move towards the ball till I say go. It's absurd. Some of the new rules are great but this one in the wording is absurd.

IF the rules are so great why do you think the masters will override some. There is talk that they will NOT allow players to leave the flag stick in. Same is being said about the US OPEN USGA own freaking tournament.

IF the rules are so great why do you think the masters will override some. There is talk that they will NOT allow players to leave the flag stick in. Same is being said about the US OPEN USGA own freaking tournament.

Link(s) please.

TIA :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

After all, as mentioned, it's not even a NEW rule. It's just a small extension of the time you're not allowed to be there.

And your "circling the intended line on the green while he's already lined up" is smart ? And you complain about slow play in the same breath ? So you're getting penalized for slow play is OK but being penalized for being in the wrong place is "stupid" ?

Go back and re-read every post I've made in this thread (3) times.

Then...kindly point out where I typed getting penalized for slow play.

Or complaining about slow play.

Or even typing the words "slow play".

TIA

Edit 15 minutes later....*crickets*

is so simple the pga has basically suspended the rule its flat out stupid. I've told my kid to not move towards the ball till I say go. It's absurd. Some of the new rules are great but this one in the wording is absurd.

Perhaps you're better informed than I am. Who has said that the PGA has suspended the rule? Who (with any credibility) has said that the Masters will override the flagstick rule, or that the US Open will?

Link(s) please.

I didn't read it. It wasn't an article written. Listen to many people talk about the new rules, listen to talk radio, the golf channel, PGA members. I would be shocked if at Augusta they allow them to do so. Going forward it would not surprise me for the PGA to write their own set of rules either.

Not to get too far off topic, but it seems that it's going that way:

The Masters respected the flag in while putting rule when it was allowed in the late 50's and early 60's - I'm pretty sure that they will decide to do the same now.

But, if someone can provide me with direction to follow indicating that won't be what happens - I'll happily look and report back.

As for the original question/observation: the official did you a favor by letting you have this warning.

Caddy or anyone associated with the player should stay off the line of play.

Perhaps you're better informed than I am. Who has said that the PGA has suspended the rule? Who (with any credibility) has said that the Masters will override the flagstick rule, or that the US Open will?

Read the statements both related by the PGA Tour and the USGA on this rule. Suspended might been a bad word choice, although that was JT statement he made during his presser. They are only penalizing players when they are getting aiming advise.

"As a result, with full support of the USGA and the R&A, the rule will be interpreted whereby the two aforementioned situations as well as further similar situations will NOT result in a penalty". If you ask me thats basically suspending the rule or tweaking it.

No one should be reading a putt except the player. It's part of the challenge of the game.

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Go back and re-read every post I've made in this thread (3) times.

Then...kindly point out where I typed getting penalized for slow play.

Or complaining about slow play.

Or even typing the words "slow play".

TIA

Edit 15 minutes later....*crickets*

Last things first - "15 minutes later crickets" - YOU may spend your entire internet life here. I don't. (Just feels like it :lol: )

"Slow Play" - see below. ;)

We're playing in a local Tourney this weekend...and we're reading the green for my dude's putt.

I am several feet behind the ball and ballmarker...the ball is aligned close to its intended line and target...I'm squatting...and my dude is reading the break by looking over my shoulder.

I stay in the exact same squat I've been in...but...my dude breaks off and walks toward the ball. He is 18" away from the ball and he makes a practice swing. Mind you...I haven't said a damn thing since he broke away from me squatting and walked towards the ball.

About a minute later a rules official comes up to us and asks us to be careful so as to not cause a penalty.

This may sound silly...but I'm going to start taking the damned flagstick and circling the intended line on the green while he's already lined up. If he needs to readjust....fine. Then...I'll put the flagstick back in the hole afterwards. So much for speeding up the game.

The new rule...as it's written...is one of the dumbest rules I've ever seen in Golf.

Titleist Pro V1X

Link(s) please.

I didn't read it. It wasn't an article written. Listen to many people talk about the new rules, listen to talk radio, the golf channel, PGA members. I would be shocked if at Augusta they allow them to do so. Going forward it would not surprise me for the PGA to write their own set of rules either.

Ahhhhh, a lot of people talk about a lot of things. Some real, some not so much.

There's a whole thread about the Masters and whether or not they will try to make such a local rule.

You can contribute to that here ======> http://www.golfwrx.c...ing-the-pin-in/

Titleist Pro V1X

Last things first - "15 minutes later crickets" - YOU may spend your entire internet life here. I don't. (Just feels like it :lol: )

"Slow Play" - see below. ;)

I appreciate your choice of font color.

But...I never wrote anything about getting penalized for slow play.

I can also appreciate your penchant for Really large font styles.

But...I never wrote anything about getting penalized for slow play.

The next time we get penalized for slow play will be the first time.

Pssst...I never said anything about slow play. At the very least...get your facts straight before hopping up on that high horse.

Read the statements both related by the PGA Tour and the USGA on this rule. Suspended might been a bad word choice, although that was JT statement he made during his presser. They are only penalizing players when they are getting aiming advise.

"As a result, with full support of the USGA and the R&A, the rule will be interpreted whereby the two aforementioned situations as well as further similar situations will NOT result in a penalty". If you ask me thats basically suspending the rule or tweaking it.

I believe they will clarify the rule a bit, and probably before the beginning of the next set of pro tournaments.. Again, this was discussed ad nauseum in this thread

http://www.golfwrx.c...ong-li-penalty/

It is VERY easy to avoid a problem. The caddie can read the putt, or look at the line, and then get the hell out of the "danger zone".

Edit to add links to ongoing discussions to avoid topic creep here

Masters and flagstick

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1739912-could-augusta-national-have-a-local-rule-banning-leaving-the-pin-in/

PGA Tour and their own rules

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1739738-is-there-an-actual-reason-the-tours-let-the-usga-rule-things/

Yes, you are being silly. Remember it is "Dude" playing. Not you or the both of you. In my experience, the parents who continue to say "we were playing " or "we're playing" are generally the ones who go overboard and are on a "high horse."

You should read "Daddy Caddy on the Bag".

Lot's of really good insight in that book...and it's a short read.

"We" are a team. He is playing...I am caddying.

Not to get too far off topic, but it seems that it's going that way:

The Masters respected the flag in while putting rule when it was allowed in the late 50's and early 60's - I'm pretty sure that they will decide to do the same now.

But, if someone can provide me with direction to follow indicating that won't be what happens - I'll happily look and report back.

As for the original question/observation: the official did you a favor by letting you have this warning.

Caddy or anyone associated with the player should stay off the line of play.

So far from what I have read it is a rumor kinda like an urban legend and has gotten blown way out of proportion on here and other sites

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I will look into the book, I believe from my own kids junior experience, your reaction to prior posts and to the rules official "reminder" that maybe you are one of "those parents."

I appreciate your feedback.

However...if being one of "those parents" means me squatting down behind my (7-8 year old division) son's putts to try to help him read it...then getting frustrated by the stupidity of a new rule...then feel free to categorize me as you see fit to do so.

I will look into the book, I believe from my own kids junior experience, your reaction to prior posts and to the rules official "reminder" that maybe you are one of "those parents."

I appreciate your feedback.

However...if being one of "those parents" means me squatting down behind my (7-8 year old division) son's putts to try to help him read it...then getting frustrated by the stupidity of a new rule...then feel free to categorize me as you see fit to do so.

I respect the opinions of both of you, and your insights have always been very welcome, at least in my book.

The passion displayed by parents of youth athletes in all sports sometimes get higher than is expected, and with golf, I've seen it get beyond any reasonable expectation.

I hope that the comments and feedback you've received from your OP are taken with the same respect as I have read them.

FWIW, I stated it before, in many other threads dealing with this subject of being on the line of play: as a caddy, we were taught to never stand on the line of play or extension thereof at any time.

Why this seems to have changed is really a mystery to me. And, if I had my way, the rule would be simple and clear: it the caddy stands on the line of play (other than the passing thru thereof) it is a penalty. The PLAYER should be the only one reading greens and lining up. period.

YMMV