2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Driver Thoughts - Callaway Epic Flash vs. Cobra F9

leftycabe

Great thoughts on the drivers. The Cobra, I think, it easily the big stick of the releases so far. I must say, for the price, it's amazing. Stock shaft options are not bad either.

M6 is getting a bit of a bad rap but, no one seems to be putting any real effort into trying them. Most pros are going M5 (obviously) for the adjustability and lower spin but, if you put a good Tensei Pro, Evenflow White (mine), or AD shaft on it, you'll get a good low spin controllable driver.

I won't say Epic missed the mark but, I'm not seeing the same craze and daze that original Epic had. It's like a bad Jim Carrey sequel. Hit's the desires but, no real wow factor.

For what it's worth, Dustin Johnson switched from the M5 to the M6 and used it to win this past week in Saudi Arabia.

Great thoughts on the drivers. The Cobra, I think, it easily the big stick of the releases so far. I must say, for the price, it's amazing. Stock shaft options are not bad either.

M6 is getting a bit of a bad rap but, no one seems to be putting any real effort into trying them. Most pros are going M5 (obviously) for the adjustability and lower spin but, if you put a good Tensei Pro, Evenflow White (mine), or AD shaft on it, you'll get a good low spin controllable driver.

I won't say Epic missed the mark but, I'm not seeing the same craze and daze that original Epic had. It's like a bad Jim Carrey sequel. Hit's the desires but, no real wow factor.

For what it's worth, Dustin Johnson switched from the M5 to the M6 and used it to win this past week in Saudi Arabia.

That's the funny thing about it, I bought the M6 over the M5. It's basically the same driver with adjustability in favor to the M5. I see very very very little differences between the two. I'm beyond happy with my choice and I'm sure DJ likes his choice, too.

Overall point of view is this, if you have the time to swing all of these in a bay, on the monitor, at the range and especially at the course and have them fitted properly to you, you really can't miss with any product. They are all THAT good.

I hit both today as well as the m series drivers. I hated the flash sz. The sound was awful to me. Didnt get along with the m6 at all. M5 was better and then I hit the F9. Nice low spin bombs. I was able to work it both ways which is a must for me. I ended up ordering it with the evenflow white 75 6.5. Once the weather improves here in Ohio I'll post some on course findings.

I own F9 and Flash SZ. Cobra sounds much better and performance is comparable. Flash SZ sounds tinny and loud. Prefer the original Epic SZ

Can you give any more details or insight? I just got the F9 and the Epic Flash SZ is on the way, but I won't be able to hit either for awhile due to weather here in Indy. Would love your more detailed thoughts.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

FWIW, I ended up ordering a Cobra F9 Tour Length with the Tour AD DI IZ 7X shaft from Discount Dan's. Due to the shaft choice, it's on backorder with an estimated ship date of 2/28. If anyone is looking to order this club, this is a direct order - call Discount Dan's. You will not be disappointed. This was my first time ordering through them and I was shocked, in a good way.

I'm with Mob, above, in that I won't be able to take it for a test run outside for quite some time due to living in Iowa. I will let everyone know what I learn from some rounds on simulators.

I own F9 and Flash SZ. Cobra sounds much better and performance is comparable. Flash SZ sounds tinny and loud. Prefer the original Epic SZ

Can you give any more details or insight? I just got the F9 and the Epic Flash SZ is on the way, but I won't be able to hit either for awhile due to weather here in Indy. Would love your more detailed thoughts.

Here are my observations

Distance - Same. Both are long and for me go of swings are rewarded with equal,distance which is comprable to my previous gamer TS2. BTW I regret selling my TS2 which was overall the best combo of sound, feel and distance I have owned

Looks- both look fine to my eye. Prefer the Cobra which has more of a matte finish compared to the shiny Cally.

Forgiveness - slight edge to Cobra. Both are forgiving but misses on toe tend to go further and hold their line better than the Flash SZ in my experience

Sound - cobra all day. Polite thud or thwack Flash SZ is high pitched and tinny. Based on this alone I would choose the F9

The above is based on limited range time and two on course rounds. Cally is being returned for store credit and I may repurchase my TS2

Here are my observations

Distance - Same. Both are long and for me go of swings are rewarded with equal,distance which is comprable to my previous gamer TS2. BTW I regret selling my TS2 which was overall the best combo of sound, feel and distance I have owned

Looks- both look fine to my eye. Prefer the Cobra which has more of a matte finish compared to the shiny Cally.

Forgiveness - slight edge to Cobra. Both are forgiving but misses on toe tend to go further and hold their line better than the Flash SZ in my experience

Sound - cobra all day. Polite thud or thwack Flash SZ is high pitched and tinny. Based on this alone I would choose the F9

The above is based on limited range time and two on course rounds. Cally is being returned for store credit and I may repurchase my TS2

Thank you for sharing. I am getting my Epic Flash SZ hot melted, and hopefully that will negate the sound issue to some extent.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I am leaning towards the Flash SZ, but do not have the possibility to test it in my area. A lot of people do not like the sound of it, can anybody compare it to the Nike Covert Tour 2.0, which I currently play? Thanks!

Never played the Nike. But the SZ is not loud and I hate loud drivers like the G25. The noise is very muted.

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

I hit the M5/6 TS2 epic flash and subzero recently at a fitting. I hit a number of flex and stuff shafts, up charges and stock options. Even the new tour ad IZ maybe(?) I hit the even flow white 6.5 tensei blue, the new fujikura pro 2.0. I was able to hit my current shaft, an Accra fx260 in the TM drivers.

Coming from a 2016 M2, I was getting an avg of 155 ball speed. The flash subzero gave me an avg of 159. I was hitting most shots low on the face, so I hope the speeds will creep up a little if I can fix my strike. I ended up ordering the Flash subzero with the new rogue 130 MSI in TS flex. I thought I was a mid spin/launch guy, but the head gave me really nice launch angles and the shaft was keeping my spin down.

The head is loud but not offensive, similar to many ping heads lately.

The #2 was the TS2 with the even flow white. I hit it towards the end of the fitting so I may have been a little tired, but it never hit the numbers of the sub zero. It was a clear runner up, and get amazing, but the top line looked a little

Flat and long, and the subzero head just looked so good. I don’t love the colors, but some acrylic black paint will correct that.

I swing around 108-110 but fairly smooth, so the shaft was a surprise but I’m pumped and it really worked for me.

I hit them both in my search last week - compared as close to 'apples to apples' with shafts as possible to make it as fair as possible. (Disclosure: I've been a Callaway woods guy for a LONG time).

In the end, the F9 was hands down, the better driver (For Me). Best combination vs best combination, the F9 was 15 yards longer - I just couldn't get the spin down on the Flash to save my life and it was definitely costing me yards. Even switching to the SZ version, it was still spinning like a top. Your mileage may vary - but the sound of the F9 is perfect and it's solid. Good contact with the F9 felt solid - something I was missing from my Rogue and the Flash.

Just my .02 cents.

I hit them both in my search last week - compared as close to 'apples to apples' with shafts as possible to make it as fair as possible. (Disclosure: I've been a Callaway woods guy for a LONG time).

In the end, the F9 was hands down, the better driver (For Me). Best combination vs best combination, the F9 was 15 yards longer - I just couldn't get the spin down on the Flash to save my life and it was definitely costing me yards. Even switching to the SZ version, it was still spinning like a top. Your mileage may vary - but the sound of the F9 is perfect and it's solid. Good contact with the F9 felt solid - something I was missing from my Rogue and the Flash.

Just my .02 cents.

That's an incredibly large difference.

In my testing of the same 2 drivers, best vs best, they were within a yard (don't remember which had the yard advantage since it doesn't matter).

Average well struck drives showed a similar difference. :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

FWIW, I ended up ordering a Cobra F9 Tour Length with the Tour AD DI IZ 7X shaft from Discount Dan's. Due to the shaft choice, it's on backorder with an estimated ship date of 2/28. If anyone is looking to order this club, this is a direct order - call Discount Dan's. You will not be disappointed. This was my first time ordering through them and I was shocked, in a good way.

I'm with Mob, above, in that I won't be able to take it for a test run outside for quite some time due to living in Iowa. I will let everyone know what I learn from some rounds on simulators.

I just got my Tour Length F9 also with the Graphite Design IZ, but mine is the IZ-5S so a little quicker shipping. Also ordered from Discount Dan's. Been using them for a while now and price/customer service is always great.

So far super happy with the tour length.

I actually quite like the Flash on good hits, but for me, it just wasn't consistent. The F9 is just a unicorn in terms of dispersion and consistency for my swing speed. Some of the swings I made had no business retaining ball speed but shot after shot I was getting the same performance on good and poor strikes. My longest shots have all been with the Flash, but one occasional bomb isn't enough to bag the driver. Again, this is personal to my swing, I am sure others on here have experienced the opposite. So game what fits.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I hit both the cally and cobra last week. The cobra gave me more solid contact. i was going to buy but i hit the m6 and it gave me the same contact as the cobra but it went father on the simulator when i hit them both in the " screws" it went about 10 yards further. . I was going into with an open mind and really did not care which " brand" I bought just the one performed the best for me. I used all the drivers at the neutral setting, 10.5 and stiff

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, giving my thoughts on a few of this year's models before buying the EFSZ...

Picked up a EFSZ over the weekend after much deliberation. Had a driver testing then followed by a fitting. I tried Ping G410, Titleist TS3, Cobra F9 and EFSZ. I didn’t bother with Taylormade as I’ve never really got on with them. I currently game a 915 D3 in 9.5* with Aldila Rogue stiff. Good gains in all clubs but some better than others. Typical shot is a pull fade/straight fade.

I tried each head with the different stock shafts, all in 9*. I didn't see all the numbers as I went from feel, actual launch and flight as I was on a driving range with Trackman and then asked the fitter what the carry distance was. I swing consistently around 103-105 depending on how tired I am. Swing felt good on the day and wasn’t making too many tweaks in the fitting. Range balls were ok.

F9- seemed to fly off the face with quite a flat flight in both Smoke and Atmos. Muted sound. Carry was around 253 but dispersion was poor in both shafts. I felt as though I had to force the lie open to avoid a pull draw even with it set to open (maybe my address was slightly closed?).

TS3 – didn’t get on with at all. Had a couple of hits and handed it back.

G410 – Even set to 8* it looped up in all the shafts I tried. Launched way too high and was far too spinny and its descent angle was too steep. Didn’t like. Bit too busy on top as well for my liking, especially being used to such a plain looking top line of my Titleist 915.

EFSZ – best dispersion of all the other clubs, especially in the Hzrdous Smoke. Carry distance was 257 launching at 13.4*, which was the longest of the clubs. Feel as though I could still get a bit more from it with my own balls and teeing up at my normal height, not the stock rubber things. Loved the look from above and it felt great. I must have had a muted head because the sound wasn’t too obnoxious. Flight was flat and long. Tried the Even Flow Green and it felt as though I was swinging a lump on the end of a piece of string- it was too light for me. Balls were flying in all directions. Tensei Blue was ok but dispersion slightly off. Hzrdous Smoke was where I settled, and happily to do so! Ball speeds were highest of all the clubs at 154mph.

Luckily for me I was able to trade in my old club and had store credit so it cost me around £340 ($445), and is normally £450 ($590) here in the UK. Can’t wait another 2 weeks for it to arrive!

That Hzrdus Smoke was a very surprisingly good and smooth shaft. Much better than expected. Kudos to TT for bringing up such a fine mid launch/spin shaft & its not even the Handcrafted

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Hit an F9 today as well as the standard flash and SZ. Consistently higher ball speed on the F9 with the heavy weight back, getting 165-167 ball speed on 110ish ss with low 2000s spin, both flash drivers were peaking at 164 ball speed, regular spinning at high 2000s and SZ spinning at low 2000s.

Regular flash surprisingly had a nice muted sound to it and the SZ had a loud tiny ping-like sound. Has anyone else experienced this with the two flash heads?

My fitter (who gets everything free from everybody) is still playing last years G400. We have similar swing speeds and scores. He likes the SZ and a number of his staff play the SZ. But as we discussed all the new offerings, there was one driver offering where he was obviously quite impressed over the others and that was the F9.

Myself, I love TM drivers and have been leaning toward M5. But it’s hard to discount the number of good players I know who’ve gone with the SZ. But, after more range time with these clubs, including the G410, I’m going to go with the F9. Don’t love the “look” but respect the dispersion performance. Also, I have very fond memories of my L4V X.

Also, I want to happily reward Cobra for supporting players who want a “tour length” driver without cutting and lead taping and/or hot melting in order to achieve a desirable swing weight. Sick and tired of manufacturers placing testing review numbers over real world user’s needs. I think I’m going to be very happy with this choice.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

FWIW..... About 5 hours after making the above post, I stopped by the shop to pick up my backup wedges that were just reshafted. While there, I more seriously looked at the F9’s, trying to decide between black/white and black/yellow. I walked over to one of the fitters to ask a question about ordering options for the F9. He said that he had been quite pleased with his recently acquired SZ. But, he said that he just had a chance to hit the F9 and wished that he had hit it sooner. He said the extra distance and improved dispersion over the SZ took him by surprise.

So, I’m pretty much down to shaft selection now @44.5”.

Spoiler

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

Correct - I think almost everyone has hit the EFSZ longer than anything else. It seems dispersion has been tighter for most everyone with the F9. I would imagine that is due to the higher spin. At this point, I need to hit 1-2 more fairways more than I need 5 extra yards.

I also agree with the TXG sentiment. If there is a better YouTube channel for golf gear, I've never watched it. Those guys are amazingly knowledgeable and seem to be genuinely good guys. If I only had the coin to fly to Canada and get fit........ Where I'm at, finding a quality fitter within 3 hours is difficult. Almost as difficult as finding the time to make the trip to get fit when you have two kids under 3 and an accountant for a wife - in the middle of tax season!

Ultimately, I think any new driver out there will perform. I think the "old" (2 years old) drivers can still deliver great results too.

I'm still trying to convince myself of the F9's accuracy versus the Epic SZ's length. I also tend to hit deeper headed drivers better than standard height drivers. I would say that's from my typically slightly high toe miss.

Thank you all for your opinions. This is my first ever thread and it has been fun to see everyone's thoughts.

Lefty also but much,much slower speed than you ..

M3 currently but hit both of these beauts today..... saw similar findings in F9 being steady and tight but EFSZ being longer ....only hit F9 with atomos ts 6r but it felt great....10.5* head lofted down....still seemed to setup more closed face angle....unsure of actual measured loft....the Epic Flash sub zero showed very high potential but didn't get same consistency.....I blame shaft fit....sound/feel much better than anticipated.....probably leaning towards EFSZ with jailbreak and adjustability .....I will hit both again for confirmation

OK... so, my award winning fitter, who gets free personal clubs and shafts from virtually every domestic and Japanese club maker, has just switched to the F9 with the AD DI-6. Certainly not the right club/shaft combo for everyone but the number of F9 switches I’ve recently seen by others are clear endorsements that the F9 is a worthy competitor against PXG, PING, TM & Cally and certainly worth a closer look by anyone shopping for a possible driver change. I made the switch and ordered the F9 Tour Length Speedback before my fitter made his own bag decision although he strongly spoke well of the F9 at my decision point. The F9 Tour Length offering was also a definite factor in my decision.other makers need to follow suit.

Spoiler

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

My last few drivers have been either Callaway (Epic or Rogue) or Cobra (Fly-Z), and they've each had both strong points and weaker areas for me. From what I've been reading and seeing on YouTube, both the F9 and the Epic Flash SZ are likely to be great drivers when matched with the right shaft and the right swing. I haven't hit either club and probably don't have the club head speed or the need for spin reduction to make the Flash SZ a good choice. The F9 sounds very promising, but I'm a little worried that the F9 wouldn't allow as much correction for directional issues as the sliding weight on the Flash does. For players having excessive draw issues with the F9, moving more weight forward may help increase fade bias (according to Cobra), but it also may decrease MOI in the process. Also, increasing loft may be needed in the Flash SZ if backspin is too low to prevent sidespin from taking shots too far offline. And players who get too much backspin with the F9, may be able to reduce backspin by lowering the loft but sidespin problems may develop at the same time. Of course, the interaction of shaft choice with the spin, loft, and weighting issues makes the situation even more complicated.

I guess my main point is that a good fitting is probably needed to figure out which club and which configuration is the best match for a particular golfer. I also have to confess that I have become totally brainwashed by the fitting guys on the TXG videos, so feel free to ignore my comments if you wish. And keep in mind as well that TXG should have a video out on the new Ping G410 driver any day now, which may take some of the shine off the F9 and the Flash for those who still haven't made a driver choice for 2019. At least there are several really good new driver choices this year - including the F9 and the Flash.

Hit the f9,ts2,m5/6,g410,flash today. best numbers overall were with the flash and ts2, ended up going with the flash due to best dispersion, f9,m5/6,g410 just all seemed to want to go left for me today probably a swing issue but the cally was down the middle all day. 92-98 club head speed

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing