2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Project X Hzrdus smoke shaft - 2018

Is this a counter balanced shaft? It doesn't mention it on the website but I hit it in a 3 wood and the shaft felt way too light yet was 70g

Smoke is not counter balanced and it is not as tip stiff or tip heavy as the Black.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they make handcrafted version of this shaft?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

No the Smoke and Smoke Yellow were made after they decided to ship manufacturing overseas......

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I gave the Smoke a go yesterday and it wasn't for me. My fitter took me down to being between the Smoke and Even Flow T1100 but the T1100 won out in the end.

They were both in a 6.0 Flex I wasn't a fan of the feel of the Smoke. I tried them with the Titleist TS3 with everything in neutral. The Smoke I felt like I was having to feel like I was trying to hit a big push to the right to stop it from hooking. To be fair, I have been using a Diamana D+ for the past 5-6 years and the T1100 was probably closer to that than the Smoke so that may have had an impact on it but I just wasn't loving the feel of the Smoke.

The entire EF line is much closer in feel to Dimana than HZRDUS. With the Smoke you don't have to swing as aggressively as you would with the original Black but you pretty much still have to be on the aggressive side during transition in order to load properly. EF ones would load up with a much smoother transition. I was a long time Diamana fan as well, and totally fell in love my EF line of shafts.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Great shaft in my TS2 3W/5W...beat out the Tensei, T1100

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I gave the Smoke a go yesterday and it wasn't for me. My fitter took me down to being between the Smoke and Even Flow T1100 but the T1100 won out in the end.

They were both in a 6.0 Flex I wasn't a fan of the feel of the Smoke. I tried them with the Titleist TS3 with everything in neutral. The Smoke I felt like I was having to feel like I was trying to hit a big push to the right to stop it from hooking. To be fair, I have been using a Diamana D+ for the past 5-6 years and the T1100 was probably closer to that than the Smoke so that may have had an impact on it but I just wasn't loving the feel of the Smoke.

The entire EF line is much closer in feel to Dimana than HZRDUS. With the Smoke you don't have to swing as aggressively as you would with the original Black but you pretty much still have to be on the aggressive side during transition in order to load properly. EF ones would load up with a much smoother transition. I was a long time Diamana fan as well, and totally fell in love my EF line of shafts.

Wondering how you view the EF White

and if you would ever consider it in a fairway wood

thanks

No the Smoke and Smoke Yellow were made after they decided to ship manufacturing overseas......

The smoke’s shown in the picture at the beginning of this thread are handcrafted versions.

G400 Lst 8.5, Tour AD TP 6X, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 Tour Ad TP 6X, Aldila Rogue 125 msi 60X
Tour Edge CBX 3 woods, Atmos Blue TS 7X, Kai'li 70X, Diamana BF70X
Tour Edge CBX 5 woods, Kai'li 80X, Diamana BF70X
718 Ap2's, Project X LZ 6.5 ssx1
Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
Odyssey #7 putter.
1 bad a** yamaha drive golf cart on 14's.

Wondering how you view the EF White

and if you would ever consider it in a fairway wood

thanks

There is another thread on EF White, and I'd rather not repeat too much here. Basically I like EF White but I'm better suited for EF Black.

Would I consider EF White for fairway or Smoke? Neither is well suited for me for fairway as I tend to hit low balls. I am using EF Blue in fairway to get a little help on launch angle. If you are a high ball hitter and have the club head speed, both are good options. I think HZRDUS Black\Smoke are better suited for a hitter where EF White is better for a sweeper.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Thanks

Will be interesting if the smoke yellow fills that role well

The HZ Yellow is my current favorite from all we tested, really looking forward to the smoke Yellow.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Thanks

Will be interesting if the smoke yellow fills that role well

The HZ Yellow is my current favorite from all we tested, really looking forward to the smoke Yellow.

When is that being released?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

They won't start non tour testing till late March so my guess is a late spring public release

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Was fitted for my Cobra F9 yesterday and i was suprises i was fitted for the hzardus smoke 60g stiff shaft. My swingspeed was tops 102 mph and average 100 mph. Had tried the Atmos blue tour spec regular shaft before at the store and it feelt good but at the day at the fitting i spread it all over the place. I had the Aldila green 65g stiff before and i think the Smoke is more similar to my previous shaft wich made it feel real good. I thought i would get a regular shaft in my Cobra since i have feelt that the Aldila shaft maybe was wrongly fitted for me before since i am in the low 100mph bracket.

Got my sub zero out yesterday with the HZRDUS smoke and am thoroughly impressed. I'd put this shaft in the "smooth one piece" feeling category - not sure that is a thing actually. It reminds me a lot of the old ALDILA RIP BETA shafts I have lying around that I go back to from time to time. It transitions/loads nicely and I can definitely still feel where the club head is throughout the swing. 80 6.5 ordered for 3 wood!!

Just ordered the new CBX 119 13.5* with Smoke 70x aka 6.5. Anybody have experience with this specific shaft in 3 wood?

Should be a bomber... Low/ mid launch & low spin with really tight dispersion. FYI - 70 is the weight 6.5 is the flex.

Thanks for info. FYI, I am aware 70 is weight and 6.5 is flex. I was trying to write I got 70 in x-stiff aka 6.5 :derisive:

Got my sub zero out yesterday with the HZRDUS smoke and am thoroughly impressed. I'd put this shaft in the "smooth one piece" feeling category - not sure that is a thing actually. It reminds me a lot of the old ALDILA RIP BETA shafts I have lying around that I go back to from time to time. It transitions/loads nicely and I can definitely still feel where the club head is throughout the swing. 80 6.5 ordered for 3 wood!!

Thoroughly agree, Callaway sent me the 6.0 Smoke instead of the 6.5 and I was very surprised by how smooth and controlled it was. A 6.0 as well, I like it so much I am considering keeping it as a backup. it's a mid launch and spin but the look of the flight. Defnitely one of the better "stock" shafts that comes bundled by the OEM. Nice job TT & its not even HC

ps I would prefer this shaft over the HC Yellow 6.5 I once had

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I still haven't found the bend profile for Smoke.

Without knowing, is it stiff butt, medium middle and firm+ tip?

Just going off of feel I'd say medium butt, medium middle and stiff tip with a mid kick point.....once again based on my findings which could be different than others.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

• 2 weeks later...

So now that these have been out, how do people like it?

I love my 75 gram black in my 3 wood and have the 63 gram yellow in my driver. Would the smoke in a 60 gram be in between these two? Looking to lower from the yellow some but maybe not quite to the black.

170 post in this thread that would probably answer that question for you. Smoke is a smoother Black so not as demanding with launch and spin similar.

So now that these have been out, how do people like it?

I love my 75 gram black in my 3 wood and have the 63 gram yellow in my driver. Would the smoke in a 60 gram be in between these two? Looking to lower from the yellow some but maybe not quite to the black.

I just hit my TS3 3 wood with the 80g smoke - It feels very similar (to me) to the 75g black I have in my LTD 4-5. Ball speed, spin, control all definitely from the same family as the HZRDUS Black (and at least to me, PX iron shafts). I need to get out of the sim and on the course but I'm very happy with this shaft so far.

Was fitted for my Cobra F9 yesterday and i was suprises i was fitted for the hzardus smoke 60g stiff shaft. My swingspeed was tops 102 mph and average 100 mph. Had tried the Atmos blue tour spec regular shaft before at the store and it feelt good but at the day at the fitting i spread it all over the place. I had the Aldila green 65g stiff before and i think the Smoke is more similar to my previous shaft wich made it feel real good. I thought i would get a regular shaft in my Cobra since i have feelt that the Aldila shaft maybe was wrongly fitted for me before since i am in the low 100mph bracket.

My son has similar swingspeed 101-104 and he has done a lot of work on trackman with the new drivers and shafts and he’s getting the epic flash sz with the smoke 60 s. Was by far the best shaft for him. We are also getting one for his rogue 3w (evenflow broke)

My son has similar swingspeed 101-104 and he has done a lot of work on trackman with the new drivers and shafts and he's getting the epic flash sz with the smoke 60 s. Was by far the best shaft for him. We are also getting one for his rogue 3w (evenflow broke)

I'm similar SS to your son, perhaps a touch faster. I tried this year's offings in different stock shafts and ended up with the EFSZ with Smoke 60 S as well. It felt really stable and dispersion was incredible.Here's to hitting more fairways this year!

• 2 months later...

Anyone still playing the Smoke Black 60S in their driver? I got that shaft as the stock option in my TS2 and thinking of giving it a try this weekend for s**ts and giggles.

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I am not a fan of the stock smoke black. feel off to me, not a good feeling. I prefer the EF white T1100 over the smoke.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Anyone know what the differences are between the handcrafted 6.5 TX and the retail 6.5? The TX has a torque of 3.2 vs 3.5 retail. Curious if the weight, balance point and bend profile are the same...I PMed True Temper a few days ago, but have not heard back as of yet.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2