What Mizuno is most like MP32?

Tree Levino

Long story short- I was playing Pings for the season and picked up a set of MP32 for next to nothing to experiment with a blade. After getting a taste of that butter I decided I needed forged irons. I sold the Pings and bought a set of AP2. They did not work for me. Feeling was actually worse than the Pings and I couldn't get the feel for them.

The MP32 have been incredible. I'm a lower launching/spinning player despite having some good speed. The MP have great feel, they're so workable, they launch a perfect height for me and they spin well. I even tested them on monitor and they gave me the same results as my Ping i200 despite having a lower launching/spinning shaft. I also find the MP32 surprisingly forgiving. The only thing is they're a bit worn already and I know I'm going to kill them pretty fast.

Since I've got some money kicking around from the sale of my AP2 experiment, I'm wondering what compares to the MP32 in terms of high launch/spin, feel, and forgiveness. I know it isn't the be all end all, but the MPF rating on the MP32 is quite good and I did check before buying them. I'm thinking of trying to pick up a cheap set of MP4 or MP5. I tried the MP18 SC indoors and did not like them but it could've been the shaft.

Thoughts? I'm not selling the MP32 they will be with me until they don't have grooves anymore but that may not be long!

Dunno but I had a set of MP 32 in great shape that I just sold on Ebay. Feel like I have been scammed. Buyer claims never receive yet sent me a picture of the box. Claims they were not in the box. So now ebay refunded his money and I am without money or clubs.

Considering flying to LA from Ohio and putting the smack down

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Dunno but I had a set of MP 32 in great shape that I just sold on Ebay. Feel like I have been scammed. Buyer claims never receive yet sent me a picture of the box. Claims they were not in the box. So now ebay refunded his money and I am without money or clubs.

Wow that's so messed up. Hope you can get it back.

I had a combo of 57/32 a long time ago. I have combo of mp18 mmc/mb now. I think the mp18 blade is pretty close. The mp5 I hear is one of the most forgiving blades for a blade more than the mp4.

Mizuno ST200 10.5* - Tensei Blue 70x
Ping G 13* - Tour 80x
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi - 3i Mitsubishi Tensei White 90TX
Mizuno MP-18 4-9 C Taper Lite X
Mizuno T7 46/53/58
Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s

MP-5 was designed with the same CAD principles.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

What about finding another set of 32s and put in a higher launching/spinning shaft like a Nippon 950?

Callaway Epic Flash 9 degree with Hzrdus Smoke 70 stiff
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with AD-TP 7S
Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-DI 85S
Callaway X-Forged with Nippon Modus 105X 
Edel 51, 56, 60 wedges with KBS 610 stiff shafts
Scotty Cameron NP2
Ball: Titleist ProV1x

I had 32's in the bag for a long time, fantastic sticks. My decision to move on from them was because I found a better head/shaft combo. Got to consider all the factors that will determine launch, flight, etc.. much of which is related to shaft.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

I had 32's in the bag for a long time, fantastic sticks. My decision to move on from them was because I found a better head/shaft combo. Got to consider all the factors that will determine launch, flight, etc.. much of which is related to shaft.

Absolutely. I was fit into my Ping i200 with KBS stiff and they provided good peak height, spin, landing angle etc. The MP32 have DG S300 and I feel like I hit the ball more consistently well with them. Better dispersion. Tested back to back on monitor and was getting identical numbers. Hated the AMT DG in my AP2.

Sounds like MP5 is closest?

I have mp32's I use when my swing is great and mp64's I use during the winter and when my swing is decent. They offer a little more forgiveness on mishits.

The biggest difference you will find is mp5, mp4 or mp69 will be whatever shafts are in them. For me, I love the mp32's partially because of the old rifle shafts.

So whether you get another set of mp32's or mp4, mp5 or mp69, just remember to focus on what shaft you'd prefer.

I own a set of MP32's and I've owned sets of MP33, MP68, MP4, MP5, MP64....

The most similar in my opinion/experience...MP5.

I know it's not what the main point of these irons is.. but I find them to be quite forgiving and that's something I need. I'm self taught and haven't been golfing for that long. Usually shoot around 80 at my home courses which aren't great. Played Copperhead the other day with them from 7000 yards and managed an 87 so they're forgiving enough for me. Would you say the MP5 or MP64 have more help on mishits? For me, who's miss is generally a little heavy, I find going to a narrower sole has helped a lot. Plus they're a quarter inch shorter than my Pings were which also helps.

I own a set of MP32's and I've owned sets of MP33, MP68, MP4, MP5, MP64....

The most similar in my opinion/experience...MP5.

I know it's not what the main point of these irons is.. but I find them to be quite forgiving and that's something I need. I'm self taught and haven't been golfing for that long. Usually shoot around 80 at my home courses which aren't great. Played Copperhead the other day with them from 7000 yards and managed an 87 so they're forgiving enough for me. Would you say the MP5 or MP64 have more help on mishits? For me, who's miss is generally a little heavy, I find going to a narrower sole has helped a lot. Plus they're a quarter inch shorter than my Pings were which also helps.

The cut muscle in the MP32 was created specifically to add some forgiveness which it did very well...it basically took material from the middle and added it closer to the sole. They are widely considered one of the most forgiving "blades" ever made...someone will usually comment that they aren't a true blade or muscleback and more of a cavity back that looks like a blade, but whatever. Ironically, I found that my miss with the MP32 tends to be heavy when my swing is off...they can dig a little bit.

Forgiveness between the MP64 and MP5...I'd say it's a toss up, but I'd lean more toward the MP5. I'm not at home to compare, but based on my experiences and memory of it...the MP5s just feel a bit bigger and less compact than the MP64s. Not super chunky, just a touch more club...which some people have NOT liked when comparing it to the MP4 or MP18.

The MP64 is a players cavity back...which in my opinion will be very similar to a Titleist forged cavity back (710cb, 714cb, 716cb, etc). Most people will tell you that the Titleist forged cavity backs are not much more forgiving than the the Titleist MBs. I would tend to agree...the forgiveness is minimal. I've had a lot of great rounds with the MP64 and I've had a couple bad rounds with them. They offer some forgiveness vs. a muscle back, but still require a certain amount of repeat-ability in your swing.

The MP5s also require a good swing, it just feels like there it's a little bit more club there when you set-up behind the ball.

If you can hit the MP32 well...I think either the MP64 or MP5 would be a good option for you...in my mind, the MP5 will probably mimic more of the MP32 characteristics.

As a long time Wrxer and player of the MP-32s, I recall many posts that compared the MP 5 to your old 32s. I have never tried the MP 5, but they look like a distant cousin.

I did play MP 69 same time as my 32s for several seasons, and found the 69s just as forgiving. But, I had radically differing shafts at the time in each. My 32 was in TT DG R300 (127g), 69 in TT DL R300 (113g). The MP 69 was less catching on steep misses, but not as heavy a thud on solid strikes.

Others on the archived threads have mentioned comparisons back to 32 with MP 69. But in your case, you will find more "lighter used" in MP 5 now, and I would steer you there.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

The MP-67s were a later cut muscle design, but only a few years later than the 32s. There's also the MP-60 cut muscle cavity.

The 67s had slightly weaker lofts (1*), and ever so slightly more face progression.

But if you're going to consider the 67s, you might as well search for another set of 32s in good condition.

the mp5 is, imo, the next gen mp32.

That sounds like the resounding answer. I may order a 6 iron in the same shaft I've got in the MP32 to see. The feel of these irons just cannot be beaten. I am also intrigued by Miura though... my friend plays the MB001 and they are bliss. I think they're a fair bit less forgiving though.

That sounds like the resounding answer. I may order a 6 iron in the same shaft I've got in the MP32 to see. The feel of these irons just cannot be beaten. I am also intrigued by Miura though... my friend plays the MB001 and they are bliss. I think they're a fair bit less forgiving though.

How are you going to order a MP5 6 iron?

That's horrible. Had something quasi similar. Buyer received clubs but claimed that USPS required that he pay another $65 for shipping charges (I paid for shipping). eBay refunded him his $65.00.

Driver: Mizuno ST-X

FW: TaylorMade Sim2 Ti (5 wood)

Hybrid: PXG Proto

Irons: Srixon ZX-5

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 (54* & 58*)

Putter: Cameron Squareback 2

Miura?? Yes they are bliss, but you're kinda going from a TAG to a Patek...

That's horrible. Had something quasi similar. Buyer received clubs but claimed that USPS required that he pay another $65 for shipping charges (I paid for shipping). eBay refunded him his $65.00.

Evan worse, he mailed me an envelope back instead of the clubs. So ebay sees them as returned.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Evan worse, he mailed me an envelope back instead of the clubs. So ebay sees them as returned.

Drive to his house.

Drive to his house.

Unfortunately the guy lives in LA and I'm in Ohio. Perhaps they were lost out of the box. I dunno. Regardless no more ebay for me. I knew I should have just kept them.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
SC Phantom X 5.5

Drive to his house.

Unfortunately the guy lives in LA and I'm in Ohio. Perhaps they were lost out of the box. I dunno. Regardless no more ebay for me. I knew I should have just kept them.

You can fix this if you're persistent. The envelope he mailed you has postmark based on weight and has dimensions. You can prove he didn't mail you a box of clubs.

• Like 1

I think you'd want to look at the irons with the similar cut muscle design. I can think of MP-57 and MP-60 off the top of my head but I'm sure there are more. MP-57 is going to be the more forgiving of the two, but those MP60s are butter. My favorite feel of a Mizuno iron would probably go between the MP-32 or the MP-64. The MP-64's feel fantastic. They are not true blades but they're not far off either.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

Played mp32 and mp67. The 32s were Pretty similar with the 67, can’t recall specific differences as per head design but found the 67s a little easier to hit. Found the longer irons were better for JP but liked the scoring irons of the mp32 more. Decent blades to be sure, esp when you dime it, but there is very little forgiveness in either blade.

If JP were to play a Mizzie blade it’d be the 4 or mp68 or 18.

But he uses cb designs these days (mp15) so he would look at mp18sc or 64 or 66 (Japan only issue)

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3