2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2018 NBA Season

Zach Lowe said that the San Antonio deal with Leonard was simply that they refused to trade him to the Lakers under any circumstances (this apparently came out afterwards). That was basically out of spite.

Overpay is a relative term. Maybe LA gets him at the deadline or maybe not. But if you don't trade for him in July and new Orleans is serious about playing hardball, it does two things:

1) the Lakers have to hope no other situations arise in the league that change his mind in 2019/2020

2) the Lakers can't take on any new contracts that would prohibit them from signing Davis in summer 2020, and that hurts their flexibility a bit

It's not an overpay necessarily to offer the same thing in July

New Orleans has the same spite and is being petty. They are getting 4 starters all on rookie contracts and big upside and 2 first round picks. I just have a hard time seeing a better offer coming.

I have no doubt they are unhappy about a clear but unproveable case of tampering on their star under contract for the next 18 months, and they have said as much.

But that is the NBA in 2019, and there's still a good chance they trade him to the Lakers. I just think they will wait to the offseason. But maybe I'm wrong. I thought Durant would resign in OKC, so what do I know LoL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Zach Lowe said that the San Antonio deal with Leonard was simply that they refused to trade him to the Lakers under any circumstances (this apparently came out afterwards). That was basically out of spite.

Overpay is a relative term. Maybe LA gets him at the deadline or maybe not. But if you don't trade for him in July and new Orleans is serious about playing hardball, it does two things:

1) the Lakers have to hope no other situations arise in the league that change his mind in 2019/2020

2) the Lakers can't take on any new contracts that would prohibit them from signing Davis in summer 2020, and that hurts their flexibility a bit

New Orleans has the same spite and is being petty. They are getting 4 starters all on rookie contracts and big upside and 2 first round picks. I just have a hard time seeing a better offer coming.

I have no doubt they are unhappy about a clear but unproveable case of tampering on their star under contract for the next 18 months, and they have said as much.

But that is the NBA in 2019, and there's still a good chance they trade him to the Lakers. I just think they will wait to the offseason. But maybe I'm wrong. I thought Durant would resign in OKC, so what do I know LoL

This trade is toast, as much as we all want it to go down it won’t.

Philly gonna be really tough in a playoff series. That's a huge lineup with enough shooting and an MVP candidate. Provided Jimmy Butler doesn't ruin the team with his attitude

Not much depth but that won't matter in postseason

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

"They are getting 4 starters" - this made me laugh. Are you trying to trick people into thinking crappy players are actually good? Why are you trying to convince us that the Lakers crappy offer is good, it's the Pelican's front office that you need to trick.

To be honest, if Boston offers just Tatum, that's a better deal than what the Lakers offered. If Boston sweetens the deal with one of their picks, then that blows any Lakers package out of the water. And Boston still has half a dozen other assets to add to the deal.

Oh yeah, and "They are willing to overpay now" - this one cracked me up too.

Philly gonna be really tough in a playoff series. That's a huge lineup with enough shooting and an MVP candidate. Provided Jimmy Butler doesn't ruin the team with his attitude

Holy S, just saw this trade. The Clippers should be arrested for what they just stole from the 76ers.

If we're talking about overpay - the 76ers just paid more for Harris, who's going to be an extremely expensive fit for them, than the Lakers offered for AD.

"They are getting 4 starters" - this made me laugh. Are you trying to trick people into thinking crappy players are actually good? Why are you trying to convince us that the Lakers crappy offer is good, it's the Pelican's front office that you need to trick.

To be honest, if Boston offers just Tatum, that's a better deal than what the Lakers offered. If Boston sweetens the deal with one of their picks, then that blows any Lakers package out of the water. And Boston still has half a dozen other assets to add to the deal.

It's easy to say that today after how they played last night in the mist of all the trade rumors but you would look like an fool saying that around Christmas time when they were healthy and rolling.

Holy S, just saw this trade. The Clippers should be arrested for what they just stole from the 76ers.

If we're talking about overpay - the 76ers just paid more for Harris, who's going to be an extremely expensive fit for them, than the Lakers offered for AD.

Yeah they gave up more for Harris on an expiring deal than the the Mavs gave up for Porzingis.

That being said if they do resign both Him and notorious team killer Jimmy Butler, that's a really dangerous lineup I think. Maybe a bit of a hedge in case they don't want to max out Butler too

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

no way. I was with jeff on the tatum hype train but I will trade tatum all day for 3 kids plus 2 mid 1sts. also I'm not sure the celtics would trade tatum for AD. I would think they'd try to do brown and hayward plus picks

what is ingrams trade value? at least mid first.

I think we give up on people way too early at least in the media , or assume what they are way too early anyway. Ingram and Tatum are both averaging 16+ PPG in the league and have demonstrated real skills , and both are <21 yrs old.

Most draft picks between the 10-30 spot amount to nothing. You can go on Wikipedia and look at every draft from the past 10 years and see this, most of the names it's like "oh man i don't even remember him". The Ringer recently did an article on this too. Tatum and Ingram have already had better careers than most of the draft picks from those spots will

I think people are wiser now to the notion that 2-3 draft picks from teams who are going to be really good isn't that great (unless you are hoping guys get injured). The Rockets are way ahead of the curve on advanced metrics and there's a reason they offered 3-4 picks for Jimmy Butler. As long as Harden is there, their picks aren't worth as much. There's a lot more busts than Clint Capelas and they know this.

I still think the Pelicans are smart to wait. I like Ingram and i really like Tatum. I like maybe Dennis Smith and RJ Barrett from the Knicks....who knows....The Lakers offer isn't terrible i just think there's either better or worst case you still get the Lakers offer in July

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Kinda weird watching Harrison Barnes yesterday , knowing he got traded and knowing he didn't know yet.

I don't remember many cases of guys getting trades leaked mid game

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Kinda weird watching Harrison Barnes yesterday , knowing he got traded and knowing he didn't know yet.

I don't remember many cases of guys getting trades leaked mid game

We’re you actually watching it? How many minutes did he play after being traded?

They sat him after it started circling. But he was playing when it broke. Yes was watching the game on TV

I think he stayed on bench. I mean can he even play after being traded, he is no longer part of the team

He had played 26 minutes when the story broke (most on the team at that point)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

They got a good return for a guy who may never be a rotation player in the league, so that was pretty solid

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I still can't 100% get behind the Bucks, I'm alone mostly on this island now I realize....I like Mirotic. I just look at their team and when the games get tight in the 4th they're going to need Bledsoe, Middleton and Mirotic to hit big shots.

I just look at the other teams and it feels like they are deeper with playmakers

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Jeff, I tend to agree with you. I liken them to the rockets. While not quite the same, I could them being very similar come late game in the playoffs. By that I mean Giannis being ball dominate and getting his shot or kicking to someone for a 3. However with Giannis' inability to shoot I think that puts them in a worse spot than the rockets.

Regarding the Bucks, Malcolm Brogdon has 76 3s at 42%. That's as good as anyone on the Raps save Danny Green. Brook Lopez also has 132 3s, 13 more than Middleton at the same percentage. They are still top 3 in the NBA in points in the paint, and the only team in the top 5 in offensive and defensive efficiency. They have some of the best shooters and best finishers in the game. They are long and can defend. When they do find themselves down, they do not quit. I think people are selling them short, but thats OK. They are fun to watch

I'm not trying to sell them short, i know the stats and that they are good. They hit a ton of 3's and Giannis is the most efficient scorer in the paint since Shaq. I'm a Raptors fan i've just seen them stink in the playoffs for 5 years because the games change (i mean the Raps were top 5 in O and D the past few seasons), watched the same thing happen to the Rockets (0-27 from 3 last year in game 7) and they struggled even worse then that the first few years before adding Paul and co. It was just Harden and a bunch of gunners

The challenge is i think Boston, Philly and Toronto all have the personnel to just say "OK Giannis, you've got Kawhi, OG or Pascal on you the entire game 1 on 1....go get your 50.....but we're not helping off anyone all game" and then you're forcing guys who've done nothing but shoot spot up jumpers all year to make things happen.

The Grizzlies used to expose the Thunder by doing this (Conley used to cover Westbrook and Allen used to cover Durant) and they'd just say "OK Serge and Thabo Sefalosha, you''re not getting open shots"

Brook Lopez literally doesn't even step inside the 3 pt line. I'm just not sure i trust Brogdon and Mirotic and Middleton to make the big plays. And they are so dependant on 3's.....I'd probably take Philly over them in round #2 if it worked out that way...

I could be 100% wrong. It's just how i feel

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Lopez shoots a lot of 3s but he has been taking it to the hoop a lot now that teams are closing out so hard. Brogdon is one of the best driving and finishing guards in the league, people just dont know him. He also shoots 95% from the line. The Bucks can D the other teams up too. I think people just dont see them much. Thats fine. You might be right though. They certainly haven't proved anything at playoff time yet.

I remember when i went all in on the Paul George is awesome bandwagon way back during the glory years of the Roy Hibbert Pacers....It's been a long road, and i have to acknowledge by OKC homerism.....but dear god the guy has been awesome this year.

He's 28-8-4 and will probably win DPOY

45-41-83 splits and one of the league leader in steals. He's ridiculous.

.....But just to bring myself back down to Earth i posted in this thread a couple of years ago that Markelle Fultz was a "perfect" offensive prospect.

So yeah, Jeff knows hoops baaaaaby

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think he's done. The dude is literally double clutching free throws. He might have thoracic outlet but I doubt that's the entire problem.. Very rare in basketball players anyway.

Its a tragic story. I just wouldn't bet high on him returning to glory. The dude literally doesn't know how to shoot the ball right now.

Huge win for Lakers.

I don’t think Fultz is done.

Man they shot lights out in the fourth quarter. I wonder if that would have been different if Boston had ever closed out on a 3 point shooter? Talk about wide open looks.

Just thought I’d throw my .02 in, i don’t watch a lot of NBA anymore , but since it was Celtics-Lakers I did watch quite a bit.