2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How to keep right knee from working towards ball? (Video) **UPDATE**

sambodoors

Howdy, I'm a high handicap golfer that is currently working on my footwork. On my downswing, I tend to lift my right heel and my right knee works towards the ball. Instead, I've been working on trying to get my right knee working towards my left knee by having the feeling of getting my right ankle to point towards the ground.

Even though it feels like I'm keeping my heel on the ground and pointing my ankle towards the ground, videos still shows I'm still lifting the heel and my knee is still moving towards the ball.

OLD VIDEO:

Seems like it's physically impossible for me to not lift the heel and drive my ankle towards the ground...has anybody else that has struggled with this footwork too been able to fix it? What worked for you?

**UPDATED**

So I've been working on standing closer to the ball on setup and shortening my backswing. Specifically, trying Monte's no turn cast. I've been making the feeling of quarter backswings and it's been crazy to feel like you're making a quarter swing but seeing on video how I'm actually bringing shaft to parallel. Anyways, with the setup and shorter backswing changes, I feel like I'm making much more consistent contact, however, I'm still struggling with wrist angle transitions (really bowing the left wrist). Does anybody have any drills that I work on for proper wrist angles during transition and downswing?

UPDATED SWING VIDEO:

Also, I don't know why my arms get so across my body even though I'm actively trying to throw my arms out vs. swinging across my chest/body. Is this a release/follow through issue? I feel like I could be gaining more distance/power by having my arms less close to my body.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this move causing you to EE and shank? (I can’t see your video.)

I’m no instructor, but my intent used to be to initiate downswing by kicking trail knee toward ball. Shank city.

I got over it first by following Bobby Lopez’s “stay back” advice, and initiating downswing by pulling down the club while feeling my back to the target for as long as possible.

I don’t think that’s necessarily the greatest advice, but it did get me away from EE and OTT, and I started to understand how to integrate some different feels into my swing.

You might also check out the Manuel De la Torre thread. If you are high capper and worrying about your footwork like this, I believe you are focused 100% on the wrong things. Read that thread. Simplify your swing. Lower your cap. It works.

Really don’t think that’s what you need to be worried about. Need to work on making more room, shallowing and closing the club face more coming down. Your club face is really open coming into impact

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I will also say that if that is your current weather situation, I am extremely jealous.

Haha yes, this past weekend. Perks of living in Texas. Appreciate the suggestions to the other posts!

We don't have room for anything but that at this position. Need to work on what happens before this

Appreciate the feedback! I know there's a lot of other things wrong with my swing haha, but it's what my instructor and I are working on currently and I 100% trust his decisions/suggestions. I'm very much a beginner (haven't really started taking lessons until this year) and we're going step by step and haven't even addressed all of the downswing faults that I know I have. I'm sure we'll work on that in later lessons. Is it a lower body or upper body move that creates the room?

Really don’t think that’s what you need to be worried about. Need to work on making more room, shallowing and closing the club face more coming down. Your club face is really open coming into impact

And posture - you are reaching too much. Bit shorter swing. And definitely second the clubface control - need to do the motorcycle to star closing the face in transition.

You have a lot of goods stuff going on and golf is a game of small refinement. If near Fort Worth would consider lessons with Fort Worth pro who posts on this site - Michael Martin. Or maybe a video lesson from Monte or iteach fro here too. Only $50 to $75 dollars and would help you a lot.

Good luck.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I will also say that if that is your current weather situation, I am extremely jealous.

Haha yes, this past weekend. Perks of living in Texas. Appreciate the suggestions to the other posts!

We don't have room for anything but that at this position. Need to work on what happens before this

Appreciate the feedback! I know there's a lot of other things wrong with my swing haha, but it's what my instructor and I are working on currently and I 100% trust his decisions/suggestions. I'm very much a beginner (haven't really started taking lessons until this year) and we're going step by step and haven't even addressed all of the downswing faults that I know I have. I'm sure that's later on in the lesson. Is it a lower body or upper body move that creates the room?

You can get there a lot of different ways for sure but you don’t have time to change it from this point in the downswing. So my point is we have to fix it before this. Best way to create it is in the backswing. The lead arm is already out in front of your feet and the club is still high in the air. Need the lead arm back some amount and the club shallowed some amount at this point.

And posture - you are reaching too much. Bit shorter swing. And definitely second the clubface control - need to do the motorcycle to star closing the face in transition.

You have a lot of goods stuff going on and golf is a game of small refinement. If near Fort Worth would consider lessons with Fort Worth pro who posts on this site - Michael Martin. Or maybe a video lesson from Monte or iteach fro here too. Only $50 to $75 dollars and would help you a lot.

Good luck.

Those are great options

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Knee is not a top issue or even an issue at all.

Setup, length of backswing and transition wrist angles.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Knee is not a top issue or even an issue at all.

Setup, length of backswing and transition wrist angles.

Woah. Monte, huge fan of yours! Could you please elaborate on setup and transition wrist angles?

For whatever reason that's unknown to me, whenever I feel like I don't make a full backswing I tend to shank the ball. I think it might have to do with my arms and body not being as synced up? I think I'm getting in a bad habit of trying to get my hands at the 2 o'clock position at the top of my backswing, but I'm probably overdoing it.

You’re too far from the ball, arm swing is too long.

The reason why you shank is not the shorter swing but because you’re too far away and you Cup your left wrist in transition.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

You’re too far from the ball, arm swing is too long.

The reason why you shank is not the shorter swing but because you’re too far away and you Cup your left wrist in transition.

Monte, I watched your two videos about swing fault myths--casting and early extension--and they really resonated with me. I think I struggle with casting (long backswing, my upper body will sometimes rotate towards target, dip and stand up, all of these describe me lol) and have some early extension (not so much in my video, but I tend to hit thin shots and don't really take any divots). I know I stand too far away from the ball but am I also too bent over in my setup?

Also, I'm still trying to understand what you mean by "wrist angle in transition". In my video, I don't think I'm cupping my left wrist in my transition? When you mention wrist angle are you saying I'm cupping? I'd love to watch another one of your videos that explains proper wrist angles, if you could point me to one.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a beginner.

**UPDATED**

So I've been working on standing closer to the ball on setup and shortening my backswing. Specifically, trying Monte's no turn cast. I've been making the feeling of quarter backswings and it's been crazy to feel like you're making a quarter swing but seeing on video how I'm actually bringing shaft to parallel. Anyways, with the setup and shorter backswing changes, I feel like I'm making much more consistent contact, however, I'm still struggling with wrist angle transitions (really bowing the left wrist). Does anybody have any drills that I work on for proper wrist angles during transition and downswing?

UPDATED SWING VIDEO:

Also, I don't know why my arms get so across my body even though I'm actively trying to throw my arms out vs. swinging across my chest/body. Is this a release/follow through issue? I feel like I could be gaining more distance/power by having my arms less close to my body.

Swing is still too long. And you are steep with the arms in transition. You have no choice but to stand up and shallow with the body and chicken wing it with the left arm in order to save the shot. Like Monte said, your right knee/foot aren't the problem at all. You need to shorten the backswing and close the face and shallow the arms in transition. It should almost feel like the clubhead is going backward and the clubface turning toward the ground behind you. Then you can just turn and release from there. But my best advice for you...take some in person lessons with a local pro.

• 6 months later...

> @Peter_b said:

> Oh I see you fault. Yeah, drive that right knee to the ball right from the top. Really, do it! The right knee will reattach to the left and not stay out like it does now. What your problem is? You rotate your hip level to the ground. Don't do that! Rotate the hip level to your upper body. Can you do that?

One methodology is indeed to start (or feel to start) the transition with the right knee towards the ball But this needs to be combined with rotation so that as pointed out above the right knee will end up by the left knee - if a cymbal attached to inside of each knee would make a good crash sound at finish of swing.

One option instead of thinking about bits of your swing maybe to go back to basics & find some exercises to ingrain say a good 'body led' swing or an 'arm led' swing depending on your preference for feel - either way to get all in sync. The various 9 to 3 drills (slicefixers or Iteaches) a good option for these - think Slicefixers is body led & I teach is more arm led (maybe got that wrong).